- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Ethnic diversity of passengers (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ethnic diversity of passengers
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-09-2002 05:55 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes Steve, that's like the 'born again bikers'! They buy a high performance bike in mid-life only to kill or injure themselves.

I'm fortyish. All I require on a cruise ship is a party crowd, that enjoy a boogie and dosn't go to bed at 11.00pm, who are well mannered and sober during the day, who dress for dinner and enjoy maritime lectures, but not bingo.

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 10-24-2002 11:14 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cruiseny:

Desirod, I like your attitude. Can't imagine you amongst religious Republicans though !
Happy Cruising,
Cruiseny

Religion and politics are more emotional than rational or pragmatic. We agreed not to talk politics anc come together on our commonalities.
C-- and L-- are very gracious, tactful, and expert conversationalists. They were old enough to be a parent and C---- wanted to adopt me. They saw me as Desirod6, not a political entity. There are worse things than being an East Coast liberal queer.

Most of all: we were on the cruise to have a good time, and those that look for a good time get one.

You write:
I don't quite understand why the Texan made a joke that would offend the person who voted for Lazio... I would think a Texas "Hillary" joke would be more likely to offend the Hillary supporters?

I write: It is an attack on New York, from a place [Texas]that calls them Damn Yankees, and gave us George W. Bush who is hated in the East.

The outside world looks at the USA as the USA, not USA made up of Democrats and Republicans.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 10-25-2002 07:35 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod6:
The outside world looks at the USA as the USA, not USA made up of Democrats and Republicans.

Not entirely true since the “outside” world depends greatly on the actions that are taken by the USA we surely can feel and notice the difference between a republic and democratic USA. You can have a feminine and a masculine government and with that I mean the feminine way is thinking of the larger goal a problem solving method that includes many ways of thinking, while the masculine way is more short term solution that thinks in one direction of thinking. That’s why many corporations that have a masculine based structure often take on female executives to get a new way of thinking which could lead to interesting or inspiring thoughts. Now to reflect this on the USA it is clear that with Bush jr. as president and his way of thinking a very masculine USA is having it’s influence on the rest of the world as opposite to when Clinton was president who had a more feminine way of administrating the USA.
So the outside world is well aware of democrats and republics in the USA (we can also enjoy the president campaigns on our TV’s)

Best, Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 10-26-2002 06:25 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Politics aside and back to the original topic "Ethnic diversity of passengers" , one of our most interesting and fun tables was comprised of a most charming French couple who spoke perfect English but constantly exchanged personal comments in Parisian French, an American United Church Minister, formerly a Naval Chaplain - the Passenger Chaplain on the cruise - a Jewish Princess (his wife), a German, a former German Naval Officer, and a Scot!

Have no idea what we discussed or talked about - just recall that we had a great time and looked forward to cocktails and dinner each evening - what cruising is all about I think!

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-08-2003 09:16 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
for Claudio and CGT
Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 02-14-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vg5157:

Actually ,do you count those people ?,I have a friend,("african-american"),who hate, when people identify him as an african-american,he always said he is an black american; I believe Tiger Woods make that correction once.

As someone of African-American (and Latino) descent, I like defining myself as an African-American. We should all define ourselves before letting others do it for us.

Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 12-24-2003 07:27 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Recent QE2 X-Atlantic had 1600 passengers:

1000 Americans
400 British
90 German
40 French
30 Canadian
rest from all over.

100 gays and lesbians

Cunard had French and German social host/hostess's. Announcements were made in 3 languages.

I found the French passengers a friendly delight and very interesting conversatioanlly. I was told if was in France, my politics would be right of center LOL.

British were reserved unless drunk. Ate regularly with a spunky septugenarian Glaswegian couple.

The Germans travelling alone were friendly, but those in groups or couples tended to keep to themselves and not mingle.

There were many singles and the age breakdown was about 75% over 60, and about 10 passengers under the age of 20. My group ran the age gamut.

[ 12-24-2003: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-24-2003 08:55 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
Recent QE2 X-Atlantic had 1600 passengers:

1000 Americans
400 British
90 German
40 French
30 Canadian
rest from all over.

100 gays and lesbians

Cunard had French and German social host/hostess's. Announcements were made in 3 languages.

I found the French passengers a friendly delight and very interesting conversatioanlly. I was told if was in France, my politics would be right of center LOL.

British were reserved unless drunk. Ate regularly with a spunky septugenarian Glaswegian couple.

The Germans travelling alone were friendly, but those in groups or couples tended to keep to themselves and not mingle.

There were many singles and the age breakdown was about 75% over 60, and about 10 passengers under the age of 20. My group ran the age gamut.

Interesting. How about those of Asian, Latin, and African-American decent? I doubt there were very many. So far out of every line I have sailed, Carnival has had the most ethnic diversity among it's passengers. Not on every Carnival cruise, but on a few. All have been majority Caucasian, but some were more diverse then others. The least diverse, probably Holland America. I would say 99% of all passengers were American, Caucasian, and between age 50 and 70.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 12-24-2003 10:20 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There were a few Asians, Africans [one I met was from Liberia], African Americans [one a table mate, works as an attorney], but met no Spanish speaking passengers.

On the QE2 I will add were a priest and a rabbi. QE2 does have a synagogue. Church services were in the Theatre.

One activity was a joint lecture by the priest and rabbi on people of different faiths coming together.

Hi end cruising has a large Jewish following. Crystal has an alternative kosher cuisine.

I understand the Norwegian Dawn out of NYC is a rainbow coalition of passengers. I think it is because the Eastern Seaboard has more ethnic groups than continental Europe. ND having 10 restaurants could have somethong for everyone.

quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

Interesting. How about those of Asian, Latin, and African-American decent? I doubt there were very many. So far out of every line I have sailed, Carnival has had the most ethnic diversity among it's passengers. Not on every Carnival cruise, but on a few. All have been majority Caucasian, but some were more diverse then others. The least diverse, probably Holland America. I would say 99% of all passengers were American, Caucasian, and between age 50 and 70.

Ernie

Key40
Just Boarded
Member # 4331

posted 12-27-2003 12:51 AM      Profile for Key40     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My family will be cruising aboard RCCL Navigator of the Seas in June 2004.

My kids are concern as to how diverse the teenage crowd and programs will be. We are Africian Americans.

My husband and I have cruised with Carnival and wasn't to concern with the general make up of the passengers. I'm happy to read that diversity is on the rise.

Posts: 1 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 12-27-2003 01:15 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Key40:

They have nothing to worry about....folks on RCI are also a very diverse crowd.

"On the QE2 I will add were a priest and a rabbi."

Okay, I'm waiting for the punchline....

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-27-2003 10:29 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Key40:
My kids are concern as to how diverse the teenage crowd and programs will be. We are Africian Americans.

Yes, RCI attract a broad spectrum of ages, races and even classes.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 12-27-2003 06:15 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
Yes, RCI attract a broad spectrum of ages, races and even classes.

I have to agree with that. Of the major cruise lines they (and maybe Carnival, I don't know) seem to have the most diverse pax. Mostly North Americans, but beyond that it would be hard to describe a "typical passenger".

HAL would definitely be the most homogeneous... Middle-aged to seniors, 99% white, English-speaking, upper-middle-class North Americans, mostly travelling as couples or families. There were very few singles and I cannot recall running accross a single Asian, African-American, Spanish-speaking, or overtly gay passenger, and the only people who didn't either have a Yankee accent or Southern drawl were the crew, who ironically enough spoke the worst English of any I've experienced.

This did not matter all that much to us as we were travelling with a good-sized family group and stuck together all the time anyhow, but normally, it would make for a very boring cruise.

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 12-27-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseny:

HAL would definitely be the most homogeneous... Middle-aged to seniors, 99% white, English-speaking, upper-middle-class North Americans, mostly travelling as couples or families. There were very few singles and I cannot recall running accross a single Asian, African-American, Spanish-speaking, or overtly gay passenger, and the only people who didn't either have a Yankee accent or Southern drawl were the crew, who ironically enough spoke the worst English of any I've experienced.

Come on now, you've only been on one HAL cruise.

While HAL in general may be more "homogeneous" than say Carnival and RCI, the composition of the passenger community varies by itinerary. You will find a very different mix on HAL Caribbean vs HAL Alaska vs HAL Mediterranean.

As for the HAL crew speaking the "worst English of any I've experienced" I personally don't consider proper grammar and pronunciation of the English language by the crew to be essential to a enjoyable cruise.

I find the quality of service and attitude to more important and quite frankly I enjoy meeting and speaking with people from different cultures even if they cannot speak the English language flawlessly - especailly on HAL.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 12-27-2003 09:17 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joe at travelpage:
Come on now, you've only been on one HAL cruise.

Perhaps I didn't make that clear. Then again you're not criticising Desirod because he's only been on QE2 once...

quote:
As for the HAL crew speaking the "worst English of any I've experienced" I personally don't consider proper grammar and pronunciation of the English language by the crew to be essential to a enjoyable cruise.

Neither do I, but when some crew members don't even speak English well enough to do their jobs, it's a problem.

Sure, some of the crew spoke English well, but quite a few spoke very little, and I mean people in front-line positions like cabin stewards or waiters.

It can be quite frustrating to have a waiter misunderstand the same order in the dining room twice, so that by the time you get your main course everyone else is eating their dessert...

quote:
I find the quality of service and attitude to more important and quite frankly I enjoy meeting and speaking with people from different cultures even if they cannot speak the English language flawlessly

Nobody's talking about "flawless" English here... I would not expect flawless English, and most of the low-level crew members on most cruise ships don't speak flawless English. But they usually speak enough English that you don't need to use hand signals to get what you want.

The bottom line is, we had far, far more language trouble on HAL than any other cruise line, for what it's worth. Maybe it was an isolated incident, maybe it wasn't, but it still happened, and there's no pretending that having crew members who speak virtually no English has no impact on service.

I've even had die-hard HAL loyalists suggest to me that it would have been more considerate had I learned a little Indonesian before my cruise. Well, I was on a cruise ship owned by an American company cruising from an American port with almost entirely American-speaking passengers and where three of the four ports of call were English-speaking. I might try to learn some Indonesian if I was going to Indonesia, but on an American cruise ship full of American passengers I would at least expect the cabin steward to understand what I mean when I ask for extra pillows or the waiter to be able to tell the difference between bacon and a bagel.

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 07-09-2004 08:35 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For TampaMike
Thoth
Just Boarded
Member # 4811

posted 07-18-2004 12:43 PM      Profile for Thoth        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod6:
a Snuffy-Smith, Jed Clampett type rural Texan

Why do so many people feel that prejudice towards some people is so politically correct? I have met quite a few Texans and have never met a Jed Clampett or Snuffy Smith. Those are called stereotypes!
So called liberals can be some of the biggest bigots out there at times.

Posts: 5 | From: Southeast | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 07-18-2004 01:08 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thoth,

I loved being called a damn Yankee which has happened to me visiting Texas. Try driving thru that state with Northern tags.

My parents chose my birthplace and area of growing up, cant help it.

According to my French tablemate on the QE2 whom we did discuss politics, I would be considered right of center were I a French citizen.

quote:
Originally posted by Thoth:

Why do so many people feel that prejudice towards some people is so politically correct? I have met quite a few Texans and have never met a Jed Clampett or Snuffy Smith. Those are called stereotypes!
So called liberals can be some of the biggest bigots out there at times.

[ 07-18-2004: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

[ 06-04-2005: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 07-19-2004 11:01 AM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You will find Caribbean cruises originating in San Juan will have a larger percentage of Latino passengers.
Posts: 324 | From: Commack, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 06-04-2005 10:39 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A similar thread to the Union Castle Apartheid
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 06-04-2005 11:46 AM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When we whent on mariner last summer most were white and asian. Never once saw an african american or latino, even tho we were sailing the caribbean.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ana
First Class Passenger
Member # 5531

posted 06-04-2005 12:59 PM      Profile for ana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend is black and he has cruised on many lines. we plan to cruise this summer taking his parents with us and they too are seasoned cruisers!
Posts: 16 | From: the penthouse | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-04-2005 01:03 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by analomaxxx:
My boyfriend is black and he has cruised on many lines. we plan to cruise this summer taking his parents with us and they too are seasoned cruisers!

Good point anal.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 06-04-2005 02:52 PM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
anal is a bit of an ufortunate shortening.....
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ana
First Class Passenger
Member # 5531

posted 06-04-2005 03:03 PM      Profile for ana     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
to lasuvidaboy and mec1... my name is ana and i have now changed it from analomaxxx to just ana, because i dont like the cruel jokes being made about the way i choose to display my name.

to lasuvidaboy and mec1...

Posts: 16 | From: the penthouse | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.