- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Cruise ships in Olden and Geiranger 2009 (Page 5)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Cruise ships in Olden and Geiranger 2009
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 08-23-2009 10:06 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

Other than the built-up stern, I really like the exterior of this Vista/Spirit Class ship. The beefy funnel is attractive as is Costa's livery. Imagine her w/tiered aft decks and a slightly longer forecastle.

I agree. The stern would look better if it wasn't so steep.

I also agree with Ernst though. A longer forecastle would ruin the balance of these ships. Often times people seem to think that a longer forecastle makes a ship look better but in many cases this is not true. Many ships would frankly look stupid with longer forecastles.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-24-2009 12:06 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

You do not seem to know much about engineering or design. In many cases people try to do what you describe above but this is not the right approach - one usually can not 'dress up' a design that is inherently bad.

[ 08-23-2009: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Blah blah blah

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-24-2009 01:36 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Blah blah blah

It seems as if manners and a highly sophisticated and unexcelled sense for aesthetic forms do not always coincide. But then, I guess I am supposed to be one of the 'engineers, contractors and builders who could not care less'.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-24-2009 02:18 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

It seems as if manners and a highly sophisticated and unexcelled sense for aesthetic forms do not always coincide. But then, I guess I am supposed to be one of the 'engineers, contractors and builders who could not care less'.

I can usually tell when an expensive home I see is designed by a contractor (or builder) as opposed by a trained designer or highly skilled architect-w/knowledge of scale, proportion and correct building materials. The outcome is often ghastly. I'll tell you a little story. I was co-designing a French Normandy inspired residence in Pebble Beach several years ago. Half way through construction, the owner was told by the contractor to install vinyl coated windows (as opposed to the correct wood divided light windows) to save on maintenance being near the coast. Needless to say the outcome was horrendous and the next owner (a noted designer) spent over $250,000. installing the windows I had originally specified and the house was later featured in Architectural Digest-something that would never have happened w/the contractor's touches. I dealt w/contractors and builders for over 20-years and they usally don't get 'it'.

dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 08-24-2009 02:18 AM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Imagine her w/tiered aft decks and a slightly longer forecastle.
I like her as she is.

The original design (as seen now on QUEEN VICTORIA and formerly on the first few ships of the series that have now been rebuilt) was, to my eye, never steep enough. I think NOORDAM strikes the right balance but this is not bad either, though somehow I like it less on EURODAM than on COSTA LUMINOSA.

As for the forecastle, I do not appreciate the "bump" that has been added, but again I think a longer one would not look right on this ship.

quote:
Originally posted by Cam J:
I dont understand why certain ones dont like the Vista Class Ships they certainly arent IMO bad looking.
I don't understand what there is to not understand. Some people like it, some people don't ... isn't that how it is with everything that is a matter of taste?

quote:
For some reason I don't think aesthetics is important to you.
Well, aesthetics are important to me and I happen to agree with him.

quote:
I have friends who are engineers and they have'nt a clue about scale, proportion (or what just looks good for that matter)-nothing wrong that as not everyone 'gets' it. That is why there are interior designers, architects and industrial designers who's job it is to make things pleasing to the eye and engineers, contractors, builders etc. who design the 'inards' and could'nt care less about what's on the outside.
I think you have it the wrong way around. A lot of things with what appear to be "wrong" proportions are that way precisely because the structure of it was designed by one person and then someone else was brought in to "decorate" it.

If the basic structure of something is ugly, and you try to disguise that to make it better looking, chances are the end result will just look awkward.

Things that look good are usually designed that way from the start.

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-24-2009 02:26 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dougnewman:

Things that look good are usually designed that way from the start.

That is often true but there are exceptions. As an example a 1965 Buick Riviera (a classic 1963 design) was re-worked and the enhanced '65 version was far better looking than the original and is prized by more collectors than the '63.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-24-2009 11:42 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I can usually tell when an expensive home I see is designed by a contractor (or builder) as opposed by a trained designer or highly skilled architect-w/knowledge of scale, proportion and correct building materials. [...] I dealt w/contractors and builders for over 20-years and they usally don't get 'it'.

Do you really think that a passenger ship is designed and engineered by 'contractors and builders' like those who build residential houses?

quote:

That is often true but there are exceptions. As an example a 1965 Buick Riviera (a classic 1963 design) was re-worked and the enhanced '65 version was far better looking than the original and is prized by more collectors than the '63.

You missed the point.

[ 08-24-2009: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Galaxy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5160

posted 08-27-2009 02:27 PM      Profile for Galaxy   Author's Homepage   Email Galaxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ocean Majesty was visit Olden for a last time 23.08 :

24.08 was Seabourn Pride also on a last visit,but as a BIG suprise Artemis also arrive that day,even she was supose to visit Bergen that day :

Today Oriana was on a last visit this year :

Posts: 591 | From: Norway | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-28-2009 08:55 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wonderful pictures as always. I hate to see another season come to an end. How much longer until the last ship calling?
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galaxy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5160

posted 08-29-2009 05:35 PM      Profile for Galaxy   Author's Homepage   Email Galaxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
Wonderful pictures as always. I hate to see another season come to an end. How much longer until the last ship calling?

Thank you....15 september is Boudicca the last ship to visit us this year....Albatros is the last in Geiranger 29 september...

Today Discovery was visit us but ofcours it was a bad rain weather

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-29-2009 05:48 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Discovery seems to be smoking a lot there...
Cam J
First Class Passenger
Member # 24617

posted 08-29-2009 07:57 PM      Profile for Cam J   Email Cam J   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me why theres an off season?

Cam J

Posts: 503 | From: Belvedere, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 08-29-2009 08:25 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are you serious?

Find Norway on a map.

It gets kind of cold and dark there in the winter.

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-29-2009 08:27 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are you serious?

Find Norway on a map.

It gets kind of cold and dark there in the winter.

LMAO. I was going to answer it but couldnt come up with a way to politely say what you said.

I came up with this instead:

quote:

Cam J

Other than the fact that it's very, very cold (average 36 degrees) and the length of daytime sunlight in December is six hours or less (sunrise in late December approx 9:45am, sunset 3:30pm) I'm not sure...

dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 08-29-2009 08:35 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In all seriousness, I have heard that visiting Norway in the winter can be very lovely, but I am sure it is not exactly the sort of thing the average cruise passenger would be interested in.
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-29-2009 08:48 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here Cam J :

[ 08-29-2009: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-29-2009 09:22 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
In all seriousness, I have heard that visiting Norway in the winter can be very lovely, but I am sure it is not exactly the sort of thing the average cruise passenger would be interested in.

It is lovely. Here a link to some (sadly not too many) old video clips of one of my trips to Norway during the winter:

Richard With (Hurtigruten) - February 1994

[ 08-29-2009: Message edited by: Ernst ]

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-29-2009 09:32 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lovely clips. The one of her leaving Honningsvåg says it all in a nutshell. You also have one of Gabriella leaving Helsinki in February thats also a nice Winter shot.

[ 08-29-2009: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-29-2009 10:20 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Lovely clips. The one of her leaving Honningsvåg says it all in a nutshell. You also have one of Gabriella leaving Helsinki in February thats also a nice Winter shot.

Thanks for the kind comment. It's not on Norway but actually I have more 'winter shots' beside Gabriella.
There are some clips on Silja Symphony, a clip on Prinsesse Ragnhild (now Bahamas Celebration) or also Sampo (ice breaker) presently online.
More 'winter shots' are in preparation (much more) - like this one - or that one (since you mentioned Gabriella).

[ 08-29-2009: Message edited by: Ernst ]

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-29-2009 10:30 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it's nothing personal Cam J. Most of us assume that the rest of us know on/off seasonal cruising areas.
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-29-2009 10:32 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks for the kind comment. It's not on Norway but actually I have more 'winter shots'...

All great examples of why cruise ships dont sail the Baltic and the Scandinavian Peninsula in Winter.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-29-2009 10:57 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

All great examples of why cruise ships dont sail the Baltic and the Scandinavian Peninsula in Winter.

Hey, I though these clips are great examples why cruise ships should sail in the Baltic and to Scandinavia during the winter.

Seriously: I actually think that it would make sense to occasionally offer cruises to the Baltic capitals or to Norway during the winter. For some people snow is exotic and cities in the Baltic offer an atmosphere a lot of people would enjoy before Christmas. For many ships the long transfer to that region would be prohibitive form where they are during the winter but e.g. cruise ships operating out of U.K. ports could offer (and actually already have offered) such itineraries during the winter.

dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 08-29-2009 11:03 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Was that really nessecary! Thats just plain Rude! You sarcastic.....
Sorry, but you were just asking for it with that one.

quote:
Seriously: I actually think that it would make sense to occasionally offer cruises to the Baltic capitals or to Norway during the winter.
I'd do it, and as you said, some ships do.

But I think the operative word is occasionally ... you are not going to fill a big cruise ship every week to Norway in the middle of the winter.

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-29-2009 11:14 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
... you are not going to fill a big cruise ship every week to Norway in the middle of the winter.

No reason to send cruise ships up there when the ferries in place do just as good of a job.

Galaxy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5160

posted 08-31-2009 01:46 PM      Profile for Galaxy   Author's Homepage   Email Galaxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Saga Ruby left Olden today for a last time.....Next year it will be Saga Pearl II who coming and she start the season 2010 at 29 march who also is a new record.....

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.