- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation announced financial results for the second quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for third quarter 2024. "We have made incredible strides in improving our commercial operations, strategically reallocating our portfolio composition and formulating growth plans, while strengthening even further...

Latest News...Oceania Cruises is offering the industry's most unique and extraordinary itineraries to explore the breathtaking region of Polynesia in 2025, taking travelers to discover boutique and off-the-beaten-path islands from the comfort of the line's small, luxurious ships. The 2025 season in the South Pacific will be Oceania Cruises' most expansive to date, with their elegant ships Nautica and Regatta...

Latest News...Sailing from Singapore in 2025, the one-of-a-kind Disney Adventure will offer families throughout the region the ultimate vacation at sea. The first Disney Cruise Line ship to homeport in Asia will be a destination itself, sailing on three- and four-night voyages designed with magical days at sea and filled with immersive storytelling and captivating entertainment like only Disney...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » What is your FAVORITE ship?..What ship can't you wait to Cruise on? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is your FAVORITE ship?..What ship can't you wait to Cruise on?
Darrell
First Class Passenger
Member # 113

posted 08-18-1999 01:49 PM      Profile for Darrell   Email Darrell   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm fairly new to cruising, and love it! I am becoming more and more a Liner and Cruise Ship afficinado. I know the polls have been taken on best Cruise Line, Ship, Food, Etc..
I want to know:

1)What is your Favorite Ship you have cruised on?? and why??

2)What ship are you Really wanting to cruise on?? and why??

Thanks in advance for your response.

Posts: 78 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Aug 99
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 08-18-1999 02:09 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite ship is and will ever be MAXIM GORKIY, a Russian ship which is under charter to a German operator.
This ship has the perfect size (25000 tons), it offers the most spacious standard-cabins and bathrooms IŽve ever seen on a cruise ship. The service by Russian / Ukrainian crew is very friendly and professional, the food is very good too.
The itineraries (all around the world cruises) are very destination intensive.
The ship itself is spacious and offers a lot of different lounges and facilities.
Just perfect cruises !
ItŽs very difficult to tell you any specific ship IŽd really want to cruise on because there are so many ships I really like and all have different reasons why I like to cruise with them.

MagnmPI
First Class Passenger
Member # 299

posted 08-18-1999 03:15 PM      Profile for MagnmPI     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite is RCI's Vision of the Seas. I love the big two story windows on both sides of the ship and the seven story atrium. They say she looks different than other ships at night due to the size and multitude of windows. And from a distance they say that the light emitted from the windows gives her a signature unlike no other.
I'm also the kinda guy who likes his space, and alot of it. There seemed like there was more personal space on this ship than on the Grand Princess. And Vision still fits through the Panama Canal.

A cruise I want to go on is the Voyager. I guess I'm a sucker for all the hype it's getting. My dream cruise though is Crystal Symphony. My parents travel on Crystal alot and they love it. I don't have a problem with it's formal atmosphere and I like the slower pace. I'm not into party cruises.

Posts: 545 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 99
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 08-18-1999 04:20 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The answer is simple in a sense.
My favorite is the SS NORWAY, inside and out. No finer lady afloat. My second is the TSS FLAVIA, I miss her alot.
The liner I can't wait to cruise
on is the SS REMBRANDT and the
fact it's a classy liner. All the
ones I choose are older. Don't get
me wrong I like some of the new ones, but the older vessels get
such a terrible bum rap and it's
so unfair. The new ones will never
be like the ones I have enjoyed
sailing on.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99
Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 08-18-1999 04:46 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't really know if I have a true favorite ship, although for looks, nothing beats the Norway. I'd say I'm a bit partial to the older ships because of their design cues. Needless to say, although she is not active, the United States ranks up as one of my favorites in this respect. My first cruise was on the Nordic Prince, and she was just such a pretty little ship. The Viking Crown Lounge really made her.

I'd probably really like to try the Norway, but my mom, who was on her in '92 and is my travel agent, warns against it. I've got similar feelings for the QE2, with similar cautions from various people.

From what I can see by way of the 360-degree IPIX tours, I have a feeling that I could quickly fall in love with the Sun Princess. There's really classy decor on board here, and she's not too shabby on the outside either.

[This message has been edited by Joe at PwC (edited 08-18-99).]

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 08-18-1999 09:31 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favourite ship was the Rotterdam V (now the Rembrandt). She was the classic ocean liner and was beautiful. We first went on her in '84 and made many trips on her, my favourite being to Hawaii in '93. She had beautiful lines, and was the "Grand Lady" of HAL's fleet. We were very sorry to see her go but when the air conditioning and plumbing starts to go and has been fixed too many times, it is time for the ship to go. The bathrooms were huge and most had big soaker tubs and warming racks. These were great for Alaska because when you came back on the ship after a cold damp day, you could soak in that great big tub and warm your towels on the rack. So cozy.
Next June 2000 we will be on the Rotterdam V1 and that will be a big change from V. You can't compare the old and the new.
Dambrosi - If you go on the Rembrandt please let me know what you think of her. I have heard good and bad, but you will love the ship no matter what.

[This message has been edited by sympatico (edited 08-27-99).]

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-19-1999 08:55 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Most people seem to get more excited as the new ships get bigger and bigger...but lets not forget the 'classic' ocean liners.

I've toured both the SS Norway and QE2 (not Cruised them). In terms of charm and decore the Norway wins hands down! I think the Queen Mary is my number one, but unfortunately she does not leave port!

Unfortunately, the ships that I would like to Cruise on the most, do not do the itineraries I like.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!
jal33406
First Class Passenger
Member # 603

posted 08-21-1999 05:38 PM      Profile for jal33406   Email jal33406   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite ship is VEENDAM. Just the right size and very superior service. Can't wait for VOLENDAM to come into service. However, my wife's favorite is MERCURY and she wants to sail on MILLENIUM. Looks like we've got plenty of cruising ahead of us. By the way, do we all know that the second ship in Celebrity's Millenium series wil be called INFINITY?
Posts: 35 | From: West Palm Beach FL USA | Registered: Aug 99
mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 08-22-1999 12:39 PM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Two all-time favorites: The Constitution, now at the bottom of the Pacific, and the Star Princess, now the Arcadia on P&O.

I can't wait to go on the Nieuw Amsterdam when it becomes an American Hawaii ship.

KruzinKat
First Class Passenger
Member # 260

posted 08-22-1999 09:27 PM      Profile for KruzinKat   Email KruzinKat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While RCCL's Majesty of the Seas will always have a special place in my heart (first cruise), and the Enchantment of the Seas is just spectacular, my favorite ship right now is the SS Norway. On two cruises, we have had exceptional service and felt the food was top notch. (But we're admittedly easy to please.) Theater entertainment was fair to good, but dancing opportunities were outstanding! We're ballroom dancers, and Norway has several different dance floors of above-cruise-average size. They've even added additional dance space in the North Cape Lounge by laying a portable dance floor in front of the stage-style dance floor. Club Internationale is great for before dinner dancing - very genteel. Then the Sports Illustrated Cafe is the place to go for dancing into the wee hours to two alternating groups. During the trans-Atlantic cruise we just returned from, Gwen & Jerry (a husband/wife duo) and Moses and the High Brows (singer with three band members who also sang) provided lots of good music and variety throughout the cruise. I'll still want to try other ships and other lines, but I know I'll always return to the Norway. And there are many others, of all ages, who love her classic looks and charm and feel the way I do.

KruzinKat

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-23-1999 03:00 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Darrell,

It looks like the SS Norway (Ex France) is one of the winners! Ship builders take note, the old girl is still beating the new pretenders.

Will Voyager, Grand, and Destiny etc still be around in 30 years time?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!
Vaccaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 465

posted 08-23-1999 04:48 PM      Profile for Vaccaro   Author's Homepage   Email Vaccaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, and to knock the nail, and although i love modern cruise ships too, every body who know me in this forum, know that NORWAY is my favorite ship too (more than a favorite ship, for me NORWAY is a dream, a legend, even if i have to admit this is a very subjective opinion).
Bye.

Posts: 1193 | From: France ...where the greatest liners ever are born, ...by far! | Registered: Feb 99
carnival cruise
First Class Passenger
Member # 516

posted 08-26-1999 01:43 AM      Profile for carnival cruise   Email carnival cruise   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Carnival Destiny is my favorite. I can't wait to go on her!
blf49
First Class Passenger
Member # 502

posted 08-27-1999 03:29 AM      Profile for blf49   Email blf49   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Norway (France as was) is my current favorite.
I admit I love the old ships.too. I can't wait to get on the Victoria, and the Independance. I am also really eager to get on the World Explorer. Alas, more time than money.

jeff
First Class Passenger
Member # 614

posted 08-27-1999 07:49 PM      Profile for jeff     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
o.k. let's see, the favorite ship so far is the "westerdam"(twice on her) because of her inimate interior, promenade and service...need i say more...it's HAL.
the ship i would love to cruise on is a tie...the "queen elizabeth 2" and the new "rotterdam"...if i had to choose it would be the "rotterdam" first and with HAL hospitality it would'nt be that hard...jeff.

Posts: 180 | From: vancouver,b.c.,canada | Registered: Jun 99
Elizabeth
First Class Passenger
Member # 142

posted 08-29-1999 06:46 AM      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have to say that our favourite ship is the QE2 and we cannot wait to sail on her again.
Posts: 177 | From: New England Region N.S.W. Australia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 08-29-1999 10:37 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SYMPATICO,
I promise to let you know about
our cruise on the SS REMBRANDT.
Just as soon as we get back.
The cruise is'nt until Jan. 2,
next year. I expect it's going to
be a real bit of fun.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 08-30-1999 11:32 AM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sympatico, We cruised on the Rembrandt! Being an ocean liner buff, it was the one ship I really wanted to cruise on. She was very smooth, no vibration and she rode the seas very nice. My favorite spot on the ship was that little perch (or look-out) at the top of the ship. My favorite ship is the Queen Mary - too bad she will never go out to sea again, but I'm greatful that we can still visit her in Long Beach. The one ship I really want to cruise & cross on is the ss United States. (I am still holding onto the hope that one day she will be restored as a cruise ship and we can experience a crossing or cruise on her).
Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 08-30-1999 12:30 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Barryboat - Yes I know that little perch or whatever it is called and it is great.
We were up there the day we were in Glacier Bay and what a view. When we were on our first Hawaii cruise in '83 were also up there to watch the spotter plane and helicopter come in to pick up a very ill passenger. I have videos of it but it was so windy the camera is jumping up and down. In my mind there never will be another ship like the Rotterdam V. When were you on the Rembrandt? Our favourite room was the Ambassador Lounge which was on Upper Promenade Deck, forward - Rembrandt might have changed the name of it.
DAMBROSI - looking forward to your comments re the Rembrandt.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99
BrandanT
Just Boarded
Member # 50

posted 08-30-1999 12:59 PM      Profile for BrandanT   Email BrandanT   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I was in the Navy in the late 80's, I got a glimpse of the first ORIANA in Yokohama harbor. I thought she was an unusually beautiful ship, and apparently she was to be permanently stationed at Yokahama, and was undergoing conversion or something, (no visitors were allowed at that particular time) a la Queen Mary. The only other ships(aside from Navy ships)I have been on were the HIKAWA MARU and the QUEEN MARY. The QUEEN was in good shape, but smelled kind of musty in certain spaces. Oh, yes, there was a one-day cruise from San Diego to Ensenada, but for some reason, I barely remember it (maybe because I was a bit tight). I used to have a drinking buddy of mine who worked on the VIKING SERENADE out of San Diego. Not a pretty ship, but fun...he bought us some pizza off the ship one night he was off, and it was excellent!

Right now I am saving up for next year, when I hope to get a berth on the snazzy little M/V COLUMBUS when she does the Great Lakes next summer. I HAVE to take a cruise before I get too old. As far as my favorite, I can only tell you from the pics I have seen of the NORMANDIE and EMPRESS OF BRITAIN, and I would have loved to have traveled on one of those...as for modern ships, I dig the NORWAY, but wish they had not built those two extra decks - it looks weird.

I live and work in Philadelphia, and from my office window, I can see the UNITED STATES at Columbus Pier in South Philly. I drove over there last year to get a closer look, and I actually felt like crying. It is a sad sight, and I think she should be put out of her misery. Give her a Viking funeral and sink her whole, rather than a humiliating end in a scrapyard.

I have always loved passenger liners, but always from afar. I hope to change that...

[This message has been edited by BrandanT (edited 08-30-99).]

[This message has been edited by BrandanT (edited 08-30-99).]

NIKOLAI
Just Boarded
Member # 341

posted 08-30-1999 06:09 PM      Profile for NIKOLAI   Email NIKOLAI   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I completely agree with Patrick and of course TS MAXIM GORKIY is the best.

I would like to cruise on MS TARAS SHEVCHENKO, MS IVAN FRANKO, TS FYODOR SHALYAPIN or MS GRUZIYA

Cruiselvr
First Class Passenger
Member # 96

posted 08-31-1999 09:41 AM      Profile for Cruiselvr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite ship is Celebrity's Zenith. She isn't an old ship, but she is small enough to be intimate and romantic, yet large enough to offer all the immenities. My next cruise is booked on Celebrity's Mercury, and I can't wait to go! I've heard nothing but wonderful things about her service and food, and since both are important to me, I think it might be a match made in heaven.

asoowal
First Class Passenger
Member # 485

posted 08-31-1999 11:13 AM      Profile for asoowal   Email asoowal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My current favorite is the Grand princess...my next cruise! My past favorite was the Dreamward, before stretching and now crunching.
Posts: 68 | From: Plymouth Meeting, PA, USA | Registered: Feb 99
Sunseeker
First Class Passenger
Member # 438

posted 08-31-1999 12:12 PM      Profile for Sunseeker   Email Sunseeker   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My first cruise love was my first cruise, on the Song of America. A really lovely ship, and the perfect size, I felt. I loved the Viking Crown Lounge on that ship. The newer ships Viking Crown Lounge has become too large, but still nice. The deck and double pool area was also terrific.

The Zenith would be a close second, and the Costa Romantica third. All have been great; but some a little better than others.

Am anxious to cruise on the Celebrity Mercury or Galaxy.

Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 09-01-1999 10:45 AM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sympatico, yes the lounge you mentioned is still the Ambassador Lounge and it was untouched by the transfer from HAL to Premier. Much of the ships interiors are exactly as they were when she was the Rotterdam. So for those Rotterdam lovers out there, she's still in wonderful condition. The service with Premier is great but I know it doesn't match up with HAL (but close). BRANDONT, The Big U still has a potential future - although she may look terrible just rotting away, she's still in great shape structurally and her engines are reserviceable! Expensive but she could be restored to service as a cruise ship. She may not look like the old SS United States that we all knew and loved, but at least she would be cruising the world's oceans again. Don't lose hope yet.
Barryboat

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.