- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise line released the following statement regarding Hurricane Beryl:

Carnival's Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring forecasts for possible impacts to itineraries from Hurricane Beryl. Given Hurricane Beryl’s projected path, Carnival has adjusted the following itineraries: Carnival Horizon will add a visit to Nassau, The Bahamas on Friday, July 5....

Latest News...Oceania Cruises has marked an important milestone in the construction of its new 1,200-guest ship, Allura, at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri Ponente, Italy, bordering the famed seaport of Genoa. A landmark moment as the ship moves towards completion, the vessel was floated from the dry-dock and moved to the fitting-out berth to begin outfitting the luxurious, designer-inspired interiors....

Latest News...Crystal, the leader in exceptional cruise experiences, announced today the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri. This agreement marks the commencement of the construction of two groundbreaking ships that will redefine high-end travel on the seas.The 690-passenger (based on double occupancy), 61,800-gross-ton ships ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » TravelPage Cruise (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: TravelPage Cruise
MagnmPI
First Class Passenger
Member # 299

posted 09-29-1999 01:59 PM      Profile for MagnmPI     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In Malcolm's Christmas Gift post Joe suggested sponsoring a cruise for TravelPage.com readers. He wanted to know if there was any interest for such a trip and if so what dates and which itinerary would work best for you. How about it?

I'm all for the trip, I only ask that it be on off peak dates since I am planning a big cruise next year. I want to go on this trip just to see what happens on formal night, I remember the posts getting pretty nasty a few months ago regarding that topic.

Posts: 545 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 99
Vaccaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 465

posted 09-29-1999 05:14 PM      Profile for Vaccaro   Author's Homepage   Email Vaccaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,
Yes! Very good idea Joe!
For me, no matter the period or the itinary!
The problem is I can't pay for any cruise because of my small budget. More, as I'm an European, I can't pay for the trip with plane because I think the cruise will have most chance to start from United States. It will be understandable since the bigger part of the readers are Americans.
Anyway, I hope there will be lot of readers to answer and to take advantage to this splendid idea.
Bye.

Posts: 1193 | From: France ...where the greatest liners ever are born, ...by far! | Registered: Feb 99
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 09-29-1999 05:22 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excellent idea Joe -
Just love to cruise so the itinerary would make no difference......obviously it would not be a 'holiday season' cruise so I'm also open when it comes to dates.
Will keep an eye out for details!

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99
Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 09-29-1999 08:08 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great idea. My only problem is that I can't swing more than one a year right now, I've already taken mine for this year, and I'm thinking about one for next Spring. On top of that, my wife and I are now talking about the possibility of at least one new car. Ouch!

[This message has been edited by Joe at PwC (edited 09-30-99).]

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 09-29-1999 10:39 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Count me in - I can go anytime, except holidy cruise - too expensive. Would prefer HAL.

[This message has been edited by sympatico (edited 09-30-99).]

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99
mitch
First Class Passenger
Member # 708

posted 09-30-1999 04:50 PM      Profile for mitch   Email mitch   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great idea as we have not paid a deposit yet for a cruise we are interested in for April. Would like to be kept informed Dates for us are subject to school holidays but they are different down in Australia.

MagnmPI
First Class Passenger
Member # 299

posted 09-30-1999 06:09 PM      Profile for MagnmPI     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am willing to go to Europe, preferably the Greek Isles or the Baltics. But would also prefer Celebrity, Princess or RCL. Maybe HAL if the price was right.
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 09-30-1999 06:09 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For we Canadians (and many Americans too) January, February March would be ideal - UK/Europe weather is not the best then so might be fine for them also - don't know about OZ and Kiwi folks.

Look forward to more info.

[This message has been edited by Green (edited 09-30-99).]

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 09-30-1999 06:19 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For MagnmPI

HAL prices are usually pretty competitive but we'd be willing to give Celebrity/Princess a try!

There's a great deal to be considered in this - would 'repeat traveller' (or whatever each Line calls us) discounts apply?

Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 09-30-1999 10:49 PM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds GREAT! Only one big problem. You would never find a cruise or cruise line that would make everyone happy. Like a bunch of friends trying to agree what movie to see on a Saturday night. I have talked to so many cruisers and we all have different ideas about things. Also we come from all over the place and some would have to pay a lot more for the airfare. Good luck Joe! It would be really fun
jbrob
First Class Passenger
Member # 609

posted 10-01-1999 12:40 AM      Profile for jbrob   Email jbrob   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cruise sounds great! Plans are already made for the year 2000, but would love to go any time in 2001. With the vast experience in cruising this group has, I am sure any cruise and line you choose would be fine with me. Count me and my wife in.
Scottylass
First Class Passenger
Member # 420

posted 10-01-1999 03:30 AM      Profile for Scottylass   Email Scottylass   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I had already put a post in the system but it did not appear. I think there was a bit of a glitch in the system yesterday. Anyway its a great idea. In 2000 the dates would determine it for me - it would be nice though if it did go ahead that there was a website where we could see who was signing up, and maybe some pictures of the happy cruisers during the cruise, and reviews etc, then anyone who might not make it would still feel a part of it.
Posts: 648 | From: Stirlingshire, Scotland | Registered: Jul 99
Darrell
First Class Passenger
Member # 113

posted 10-01-1999 09:26 AM      Profile for Darrell   Email Darrell   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds Great! .... How about this though, Most of us are under budget and time constraints it seems. Why not a "3-Day" from a Florida port. I know it is not alot of time, however, the airfare to most Florida cities is fairly resonable. There are a number of good ships to choose from for a long weekend cruise. NCL's remodeled Majesty, RCCL's Soverign, etc...
Does this sound like a good idea?

Posts: 78 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Aug 99
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 10-01-1999 09:33 AM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
O.K. I'm going to have to throw in my vote.
Celebrity's Galaxy to Southern Caribbean, Mercury to Western or Eastern Caribbean. I have to fly all the way from Seattle. I did it last year. Pretty spendy. I wouldn't want to spend that much for air for three days.

Kas
First Class Passenger
Member # 250

posted 10-01-1999 11:35 AM      Profile for Kas     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry Darrell - 3 days is out of the question for Canadians and Westerners, US & Cdn. It is not cheap for us to fly to Ft. L. in fact we probably have to fly to Miami and go the day before, which involves a hotel room, meals, etc. After 10 years of cruising we said we would never go on anything shorter than 10 days. Even 7 is too short. You just start meeting other people around the 4th or 5th day and then it is time to get off. If you live in Florida and can drive to the ship, 3-4 days is fine - a great long week-end but not for us Northerners and Westerners. New Yorkers like to go in & out of New York so they don't have to fly, so you won't get many of them on the cruise.

[This message has been edited by Kas (edited 10-01-99).]

jannsun
Just Boarded
Member # 606

posted 10-01-1999 04:27 PM      Profile for jannsun   Email jannsun   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
sounds like a good idea i sense that some people have already made plans for 2000.i have a trip ro aruba in mar and the rock&roll theme cruise on the norway in sept.if there is real interest i think 2001 would be a
logical. how about the 10-11 day celebrity horizon it hits the whole carribean from ft lauderdale

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 10-01-1999 04:29 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was about to advise Darrell that a flight from Toronto to Ft. Lauderdale/Tampa/Miami, take your pick, costs about the same as Toronto to UK - a definite no go for a few days.
We too are at the stage where a 10 day cruise is the shortest we will take - an exception could be made for a 7 day TravelPage cruise!
We're cruising out of SanDiego in November - and will have to go via Los Angeles due to flight schedules. We then have a two hour (+-) bus ride to SanDiego - and an overnight prior to joining the ship. The return is going to be a long day too - bus back to LA and then flight to Toronto - excluding transfers $609.00 per person - group rate. We did consider Business Class - $3344.00 tax extra; we looked at Economy $2539.17 tax included (changes permitted for a fee) - need I say that our Agents rate won out even if it is a fully non-refundable ticket!

MagnmPI
First Class Passenger
Member # 299

posted 10-01-1999 04:52 PM      Profile for MagnmPI     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about a trans-atlantic repositioning cruise. Usually the prices are reasonable, plenty of "at sea" time to mingle and fair distance wise for both Europeans and North Americans. Kinda fits the criteria for everyone...except for our Aussie friends, sorry.
mitch
First Class Passenger
Member # 708

posted 10-01-1999 05:47 PM      Profile for mitch   Email mitch   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess any cruise from Oz is a decent flight however The Carribean on Celebrity sounds great.
blf49
First Class Passenger
Member # 502

posted 10-01-1999 07:04 PM      Profile for blf49   Email blf49   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mercy has a point (Sounds blasphemous?) All of us won't find a single cruise to fit our styles, schedules, and finances. But if we have one successful cruise, more will happen. I'm game to be part of a cruising group. As I wrote in another post, I'm on the Independence February 26th. If anyone else is, please email me at Neighbourtease@Hotmail.com. Thanks, Brian
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 10-01-1999 10:48 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm with MagnmPI - a trans-Atlantic is great - downtime unlimited - I did it alone in '98 and with my other half in '99 - two wonderful trips - really relaxing.
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 10-02-1999 02:06 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would go for a QE-2 trans-Atlantic - I know it's not a repositioning cruise and it can be a bit spendy but QE-2 is a neutral enough ship to fit all tastes. Perhaps summer 2000?
Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 10-02-1999 11:16 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barryboat - I'll second that - on one condition - ex-Southampton - that way you pick up hours instead of losing one for 5 nights in a row! It's exhausting and I almost felt short-changed.
mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 10-04-1999 10:19 PM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While I am currently committed to two cruises, I'm always open to a new group and a new opportunity. How about this?

Pick a dirt-cheap cruise, just for the opportunity to do it the first time. While the word "Carnival" is anathema to many, there are times you can cruise 7 days for as little as $400 (if you have 4 in a cabin!). As they say, the worst day on a cruise is better than the best day at work.

Another suggestion would be to depart from Houston or New Orleans, instead of the usual Florida itinerary. That's possible for many people to drive and save the air fare.

Just some wild-hare suggestions, mind you...

Posts: 308 | From: Cedar Hill, TX | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
blf49
First Class Passenger
Member # 502

posted 10-10-1999 01:07 PM      Profile for blf49   Email blf49   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green and BarryBoat, I'm with you. The Queen isn't cheap, but she's the last of a long line. If I save my pennies, late summer 2000 should work.

If we ere to go on the cheap, why not take over a whole, smaller ship, like the Regal Empress? Just another thought to throw into the mix.

Posts: 56 | From: Seattle, WA, US | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.