- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise line released the following statement regarding Hurricane Beryl:

Carnival's Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring forecasts for possible impacts to itineraries from Hurricane Beryl. Given Hurricane Beryl’s projected path, Carnival has adjusted the following itineraries: Carnival Horizon will add a visit to Nassau, The Bahamas on Friday, July 5....

Latest News...Oceania Cruises has marked an important milestone in the construction of its new 1,200-guest ship, Allura, at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri Ponente, Italy, bordering the famed seaport of Genoa. A landmark moment as the ship moves towards completion, the vessel was floated from the dry-dock and moved to the fitting-out berth to begin outfitting the luxurious, designer-inspired interiors....

Latest News...Crystal, the leader in exceptional cruise experiences, announced today the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri. This agreement marks the commencement of the construction of two groundbreaking ships that will redefine high-end travel on the seas.The 690-passenger (based on double occupancy), 61,800-gross-ton ships ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » "UGLY" Cruise ship (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: "UGLY" Cruise ship
Eric Cruises
First Class Passenger
Member # 957

posted 12-23-1999 12:19 AM      Profile for Eric Cruises   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Cruises   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody,
Which cruise ship do you feel "ugly", please tell me!

Posts: 301 | From: Hong Kong, China | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
jeff
First Class Passenger
Member # 614

posted 12-23-1999 04:03 AM      Profile for jeff     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the ugly duckling belongs to the "melody"...not mush thought put into the exterior design.....jeff
Posts: 180 | From: vancouver,b.c.,canada | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Eric Cruises
First Class Passenger
Member # 957

posted 12-23-1999 07:57 AM      Profile for Eric Cruises   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Cruises   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think is QE2. Athough she is famous ocean line. But she's outside look is awful, because she is very old now!
Peter P
First Class Passenger
Member # 374

posted 12-23-1999 11:19 AM      Profile for Peter P     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mistral: why did they made that look so bad?

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 01-27-2001).]

Posts: 329 | From: Finland | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
MagnmPI
First Class Passenger
Member # 299

posted 12-23-1999 01:07 PM      Profile for MagnmPI     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never thought much about the QE2 also, until I saw her in person. It was like seeing a celebrity or royalty even. Everyone on my ship admired her for her beauty and her history.
Posts: 545 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 12-23-1999 01:22 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Magnum - I agree with you - the QE2 is a beautiful ship, even if she is old. She is what a cruise liner should look like, not these new modern ships. Look at the Rotterdam V - she is very much like the QE2
and she is like a grand old lady - very elegant. Saw the QE2 in Lisbon and just loved her. I don't know how Eric Lee can say she is ugly.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 12-23-1999 01:27 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All a matter of taste... but I agree that the MISTRAL really doesn´t look so nice from outside.
But the worst of a ship-rebuilt probably is the ATALANTE. It´s a pity what they made out of her.

Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 12-23-1999 01:59 PM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Without a doubt the UGLIEST thing that ever floated is the Topaz. Yuck!

However, I have to agree that the Mistral isn't exactly the Jennifer Aniston of the cruise business either.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 12-23-1999 02:12 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The QE2 is definitely a nice lady to look at. When I went to Canada on the Triumph, the almost unanimous spirit of reverence for the old girl was a moving experience, especially when we got to watch her leave ahead of us, and she was running alongside us beyond the Hudson Canyon. Wow! What a treat!
cameron
First Class Passenger
Member # 966

posted 12-23-1999 04:08 PM      Profile for cameron   Email cameron   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Obviously, Eric is huge fan of Star Cruises. I have to agree with Magnum. In an age when ships are build as quickly as automobiles, many unique features and characteristics are ignored. Thus, it is quite an experience to see a ship like the QE2 and the Norway.
Posts: 50 | From: Fremont, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 12-23-1999 04:48 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe at PwC - being a Canadian I am wondering what is the "Hudson Canyon" Never heard of it. Where were you? In Alaska? or cruising down the St. Lawrence? We have Hudson Bay but cruise ships do not go up there.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Vaccaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 465

posted 12-23-1999 05:52 PM      Profile for Vaccaro   Author's Homepage   Email Vaccaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ugly the QE2???
Of course, as Patrick said, it's a matter of taste, but I'd classify QE2 in the better half without any problem! She has a superb hull and a still impressive and elegant shape.
Among the ugliest ones, I'd think of MISTRAL (however her interiors are a success), VERGINA SKY and CARIB VACATIONER.

Posts: 1193 | From: France ...where the greatest liners ever are born, ...by far! | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 12-23-1999 07:05 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pick any of the new shoebox ships with the chopped off stern, those are the ugliest ships
Posts: 549 | From: Mt. Pocono,Pa. Usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-23-1999 07:24 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Peter P, the Mistral is not too pretty, especial is you see her from the rear...she looks like a tower block!

The QE2 does have a very nice hull in my opinion, but I feel that the oversized funnel spoils her lines.

Malcolm

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
MagnmPI
First Class Passenger
Member # 299

posted 12-23-1999 09:11 PM      Profile for MagnmPI     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not a big fan of Carnival's Fantasy Class vessels...It looks like you have to be on the upper decks near the pools to look over the railings and watch the sea pass you by. Also the life boats are all the way up there too.
Posts: 545 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 12-23-1999 09:38 PM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the Red, White and Blue tails that stick up on the Carnival ships, make pretty ships look ugly!
Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Aussie1
First Class Passenger
Member # 25

posted 12-23-1999 10:01 PM      Profile for Aussie1   Email Aussie1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The ungliest cruise ship ? My vote would go to the bulky new Aida. Sorry Mr Lee but the new Superstar Leo and Virgo are ugly graceless boxes too. (Although they are quite impressive inside.) The QE2 looks great, except for her built up stern. Many of the older ships like Norway,Vistafjord(Now Caronia.) and QE2 look good because their hulls have sheer, that gentle sweeping curve that runs from bow to stern. No passenger liner built since Vistafjord in 1973 has sheer and this greatly detracts from their appearance. (As an aside, the QE2 actually doesn't have sheer in her hull but she was built to have the appearance of sheer and thus is pleasing to the eye. About time some modern ship designers used the same idea.)
Posts: 493 | From: Sydney,NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Eric Cruises
First Class Passenger
Member # 957

posted 12-23-1999 10:29 PM      Profile for Eric Cruises   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Cruises   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody,
I am sorry about that! I think it ia a matter of taste, when QE2 arrived Hong Kong last year, I have many image about this ship, I also agree that this ship are very beautiful and classic, I will take many photo to her. But when I reach the Ocean terminal. QE2's outside look make me very awful, the surface of QE2 is asperate when I near to saw her. I talk with some travel agents in their, they are dispoint about today QE2's outside look, because this ship is very old!
I wish QE2 will have a new and beautiful outside look and inner look after the renew program!

Eric Cruises
First Class Passenger
Member # 957

posted 12-23-1999 10:33 PM      Profile for Eric Cruises   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Cruises   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cameron,
I am not STAR CRUISES fans only, I am also Princess, Rccl, Ncl, Carnival, Gunard's fans. I talk many about STAR CRUISES because I live in Hong Kong, I know many about this cruise company and is very powrful cruise line. I often travel with them, so I know many things about them. I want to tell my experience for cruiser only.
Do you agree?

[This message has been edited by Eric Lee (edited 12-23-1999).]

nathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 720

posted 12-24-1999 01:51 PM      Profile for nathan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree about the Topaz. She may be ugly now, but she was quite graceful when she debuted as the Empress of Britain. Unfortunately, when she became the Queen Anna Maria in the 60s, they added on to the stern, which really destroyed her profile.
Posts: 534 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
nathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 720

posted 12-24-1999 01:52 PM      Profile for nathan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree about the Topaz. She may be ugly now, but she was quite graceful when she debuted as the Empress of Britain. Unfortunately, when she became the Queen Anna Maria in the 60s, they added on to the stern, which really destroyed her profile.
Posts: 534 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 12-24-1999 03:46 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don´t think that the QE2 is very old now. Ok, it was build in 1969 but this is not a big age for a cruiseship, especially not if it was so well maintained like the QE2. The Lloyd Werft in Bremerhaven does a very good job in refurbishing her every year.
The AIDA in my opinion looks quite good for a newbuilding. The face which was painted on the hull is something different, you might have to get used to it but I think it was an gret idea. The AIDA was actually build because the line did withdraw plans to legthen the SALLY ALBATROS (now SUPERSTAR TAURUS) and convert her into a Club-ship because the costs were higher than building a totally new ship. The AIDA has something of the style of the SALLY.
I agree that FANTASY-class ships from Carnival look awful. There wasn´t much creativeness for the outside design.
But it´s very good that the everybody´s taste is different because otherwise the cruise-business wouldn´t run so well like it does right now.

Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 12-24-1999 04:39 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Geno-r - many of the new ships look like antique flatirons.
It's a truly f-r-i-g-i-d day here......like the penguin said when he slipped on the ice, "kkkkkkkkrist it's cold" - I'd rather be on a ship, any ship, cruising in warmer climes no matter what she looks like!

Merry Christmas to all - and great cruising in 2000.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
WJCdiver
First Class Passenger
Member # 946

posted 12-24-1999 08:29 PM      Profile for WJCdiver     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well among new ships I have to say that the smokestacks on the new Costa liners are truly ugly.

Bill

Posts: 159 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Eric Cruises
First Class Passenger
Member # 957

posted 12-25-1999 03:22 AM      Profile for Eric Cruises   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Cruises   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Victora(ex.Sea Piscess) and Joy Waves(ex.Costa Playa) also ugly

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.