- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise line released the following statement regarding Hurricane Beryl:

Carnival's Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring forecasts for possible impacts to itineraries from Hurricane Beryl. Given Hurricane Beryl’s projected path, Carnival has adjusted the following itineraries: Carnival Horizon will add a visit to Nassau, The Bahamas on Friday, July 5....

Latest News...Oceania Cruises has marked an important milestone in the construction of its new 1,200-guest ship, Allura, at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri Ponente, Italy, bordering the famed seaport of Genoa. A landmark moment as the ship moves towards completion, the vessel was floated from the dry-dock and moved to the fitting-out berth to begin outfitting the luxurious, designer-inspired interiors....

Latest News...Crystal, the leader in exceptional cruise experiences, announced today the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri. This agreement marks the commencement of the construction of two groundbreaking ships that will redefine high-end travel on the seas.The 690-passenger (based on double occupancy), 61,800-gross-ton ships ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Whither the Regent Sky? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Whither the Regent Sky?
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 03-01-2000 09:53 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When Regency Cruises folded several years ago, they had an unfinished 50,000-ton hull in the shipyards. Does anyone know what became of it? Did Costa or NCL buy it? What happened?

Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 03-01-2000 10:17 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think she might still be unfinished, but work is slated to be complete my mid-2000 at the Avlis Shipyards S.A.

Anyone else have an update?

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 03-02-2000 01:17 AM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another derelict or unfinished hull? Undoubtable NCL will buy it. They could weld on and clip on balconies to the outside of the hull then cut off a top deck to compensate for the added weight, just like the Sky. They could tear out inside cabin walls, move eveything by several feet, the cut a hole is the plating to create "new" balcony doors, just like the Sky. They can create "suites" only to have public opinion and outrage dictate that they be renamed as something less than a suite, just like the Sky. How about cramming an an upscale bathroom into a space too small making it hard to move about, just like the Sky? I'm sure they can utilize the metal decking, with astro turf of coarse, rather than laying real teak decking, just like the Sky. Another project that Carnival and Star will hopefully prevent!
Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 03-02-2000 09:58 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aw, come on Grant. Tell us how you really feel
Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 03-02-2000 12:42 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I take it, Grant, you do not approve of NCL. I have to admit, when I take my next cruise, it will be either with them (NORWAY) or Celebrity (GALAXY).

Joe, maybe you know, how many of these unfinished hulls are around. Swan Hellenic, Radisson, and NCL all have built ships on hulls that some other company rejected. How does this work? Who builds ships, and then refuses delivery?

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 03-02-2000 11:11 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Regent Sky's unfinished hull is still laid up in a backwater; either Perama, Elusis or the Avlis shipyard last I heard.

An order was given to auction her off and the proceeds to go to the creditors but I dont think one bid was ever placed.

Meanwhile, Mr Lelakis still holds onto his posh NCY penthouse but no longer collects his $20,000+ per month salary as a trustee of the Regency bankruptcy.

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 03-02-2000 11:16 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Grant,

for all of the flaws you point out in the Norwegian Sky, she is, IMO a far superior vessel than the Costa Victoria and is one of the most beautifully executed newbuilds I have seen.

Although the cabins are a tad compact, I found them efficient and perfectly comfortable for a seven night voyage.

And I must give credit to NCL management and the designers for their creativeness and sculpting such a beautiful exterior, not to mention stunning interiors.

And for what it;s worth, it was the Norwegian Sky that really caught Star's fancy. It proved what NCL was capable of and embodied what NCL is about and should be.

--Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 03-03-2000 09:37 AM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
timber...It's a relief to hear something nice said about the Norwegian Sky. I am sailing in three weeks on the SKY. I have heard good and bad things. I hope that there turns out to be more good than bad!
Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Scottylass
First Class Passenger
Member # 420

posted 03-03-2000 10:01 AM      Profile for Scottylass   Email Scottylass   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello to Mr.Mercy,

I have heard that the cabins are a bit on the small side on the Sky, so at last you have a big excuse to get Mrs.Mercy to cut down on all those handy things that she lugs along (or rather I should say you lug...) along on those cruises, but remember when things go wrong think about the "I told you so's we should have brought that with us".....
Have a great trip anyway with or without the accessories and keep us updated with how the cruise goes.

Posts: 648 | From: Stirlingshire, Scotland | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 03-03-2000 10:35 PM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Scottylass... There just isn't going to be enough room for my junk. I'll just have to leave Mr. Mercy behind this trip
Actually, I am cruising with my Mom this time on the SKY. My hubby and I are booked on the Millennium for Jan. 2001. My Mom takes twice as much stuff as I do and she shops a lot in the ports!!!!

Scottylass
First Class Passenger
Member # 420

posted 03-07-2000 03:05 AM      Profile for Scottylass   Email Scottylass   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mercy - remember to take the spare bags to lug all those things your mom buys, back home.... Have a nice one and relish and appreciate very much the time you spend with your mom.
Posts: 648 | From: Stirlingshire, Scotland | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 03-07-2000 09:07 AM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Scottylass! I'll remember that when we start to get on each others nerves in the SMALL cabin
Marina
First Class Passenger
Member # 1664

posted 11-06-2001 12:50 PM      Profile for Marina   Email Marina   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Greek bank Hellenic Industrial ETBA has again put the unfinished hull of the REGENT SKY up for auction. Reserve bid is this time $ 18 million - it keeps going down.....
Does anyone by the way have a picture of the Hull? she is still at Avlis

Posts: 217 | From: Miami Beach, FL.USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 11-06-2001 03:21 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by locarno:
The Greek bank Hellenic Industrial ETBA has again put the unfinished hull of the REGENT SKY up for auction. Reserve bid is this time $ 18 million - it keeps going down.....
Does anyone by the way have a picture of the Hull? she is still at Avlis

Does anyone have a picture of the hull? According to my Arnold Kludas book, she should look similar to the Greek ferry KYDOS II and the STENA-Class ferries from the 80's. The hull has been around since 1979 and was originally to have been called the STENA POLONICA. I can't recall any of the other names of this class in service now.

AJL
First Class Passenger
Member # 956

posted 11-07-2001 07:03 AM      Profile for AJL   Author's Homepage   Email AJL   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here are pics of two of the Regent Sky's sisters, the El Venizelos and the Stena Germanica. But you have to realise that the Regent Sky has been lengthened by 53,6 metres (!) so her length is 228,6 metres.

El Venizelos, 175 m

Photo © Conny Wickberg / Stena Line: Stena Germanica, 175,4 m

AJL

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: AJL ]

Posts: 710 | From: Helsinki, Finland (birth place of Nokia + many ships) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Zero Signal
First Class Passenger
Member # 2151

posted 11-07-2001 01:16 PM      Profile for Zero Signal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rd77, you have to have your image uploaded somewhere before it will show up. You can't post it directly from your hard drive.
Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marina
First Class Passenger
Member # 1664

posted 11-08-2001 11:30 AM      Profile for Marina   Email Marina   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi folks,
here are the pics, fresh from Avlis, Greece.
Note the difference in bridge, bow section and aft. Apparently Lelkis had installed new Wärtsila Main Engines, but when Regency folded and the banks went looking at the vessel, the engines had dissapeared !!!

first time I inserted a pic, hope it will work, or else Malcolm will be upset with MOI ))

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Zero Signal
First Class Passenger
Member # 2151

posted 11-08-2001 01:07 PM      Profile for Zero Signal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the pictures locarno. It would be interesting to see what the ship would've looked like when complete. I'm sure It would be quite a bit nicer than those ferries!
Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
AJL
First Class Passenger
Member # 956

posted 11-08-2001 01:38 PM      Profile for AJL   Author's Homepage   Email AJL   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zero Signal: It would be interesting to see what the ship would've looked like when complete.

Yes, if she some day will be completed, which I doubt very much because we are talking about a Greek project which has been going on for over 10 years... at least.

Thank you very much for the pics locarno, I had never seen pics of her before. She looks very colossal!

AJL

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: AJL ]

Posts: 710 | From: Helsinki, Finland (birth place of Nokia + many ships) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 11-09-2001 12:00 PM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well its quite clear to me that Festival stoel the hull to make the Mistral...slinky ship!

Paddy

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Marina
First Class Passenger
Member # 1664

posted 11-09-2001 12:39 PM      Profile for Marina   Email Marina   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi AJL,
glad you liked the pics. By the way, the plans to convert her to a "real" cruise ship came from Wärtsila. lelakis paid abt. $55.000 for those, which was cheap, but remmebr he had also bought main and auxilliaries from W.- these by the way came to Greece via Russia by truck!!
Regency under Lelakis ownership - not before !- planned to build three of these ships, which measured then 55.000GRT with a pax capacity for 1200
will she ever sail? I doubt that very much.

rd77
First Class Passenger
Member # 2117

posted 11-12-2001 08:01 AM      Profile for rd77   Email rd77   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Folks, I will e-mail the drawing of the proposed REGENT SKY to Joe. Perhaps he can put it up? Anyway, the half-completed ship on the photos resembles the drawing quite well! Reminds rather a lot of the SILJA SERENADE and SYMPHONY, but then those two were built by Wartsila / Masa, so they probably just reworked the plans for Regency...
Posts: 1037 | From: The Hague, Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 11-13-2001 08:38 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's the picture RD77 tried to post a few days ago...

quote:
I've included a drawing of what Regency intended to make of her (but I think the plans changed a couple of times along the way...). All these ships were supposed to be delivered in the early eighties, but due to continuing strikes at the yard in Poland, they suffered huge delays. The only picture I've ever seen of REGENT SKY, at the yard in Greece, shows her to still be very similar to the other ships of the class. That, however, was a picture from '95 or earlier...

Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 11-15-2001 12:13 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by joe at travelpage:
Here's the picture RD77 tried to post a few days ago...
QUOTE]

Ugly.

lebelty
First Class Passenger
Member # 3855

posted 04-04-2004 01:47 PM      Profile for lebelty   Email lebelty   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does any one know if her hull still for sale???

And if is, why havent Star bougth her yet? I bet she would do good in the Asian market.

tyler

Posts: 672 | From: CT/Maine | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.