- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Which ships have the best crew???

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which ships have the best crew???
Caronia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1312

posted 06-01-2000 02:39 PM      Profile for Caronia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have to say RVS, Caronia and now QE2, with my Dad working on it of course!! How about you? Can you recall any great crew memebers who made your cruise particularly fantastic?

Bye!!

Posts: 31 | From: England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 06-01-2000 10:20 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have to say the crew of the Tropicale. Our cruise on her last Dec. 1998 the crew was outstanding! They made that little ship seem like a upscale version of Carnival.
Posts: 549 | From: Mt. Pocono,Pa. Usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 06-02-2000 04:51 AM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cunard's Queen Elizabeth 2 has the very best crew. I hear Sagafjord and Vistaford had great crews too. The Caronia is also meant to have a great crew.

[This message has been edited by Cunard (edited 06-12-2000).]

Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 06-02-2000 06:10 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An interesting subject as if you go back 20 years or so, most cruise ships still had basically ethnic crews. In other words they were the same nationality. Take Home Lines, all Italian and mostly from around Genoa, Princess, all Italian catering ex Sitmar, and so on. I can recall when on Greek cargo vessels all the crew came from not only the same Island but also the same village.
Today, we have the United Nations crews, and we had a Maitre d' on Princess telling us about managing his "motley mob" compared to before, and it wasn't complimentary!!
Some ships still have a basic single nationality, the Marco Polo with it's long-serving Phillipinos is an example, and at least to me, the difference in crew morale is quite noticeable.
European crewed vessels are becoming a real mixture with the polyglot crowd not always working together very well.
Cunard...sorry to tell you but the worst cruise that we ever had was on the Vistafjord. The food and service were terrible and the cabin was a disgrace - it didn't even make a 100 sq.ft. and was unfinished, and the crew morale was lousy - nobody smiled and there were no greetings or anything like that. The only ship we've ever wanted to get off. Cunard came through with a large credit note and we spent that on the Sagafjord, what a difference a happy crew can make, we enjoyed that ship which had good food and service as well....peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 06-02-2000 08:42 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HAL - Phillipino and Indonesian crew - always smiling, happy and very obliging. They always ask your name when they first meet you a never have to ask you again. I don't know how they do it. Oh, sure you will get the odd surly one, but just think of all the other happy ones.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
RSDavid
Just Boarded
Member # 1230

posted 06-02-2000 09:33 AM      Profile for RSDavid   Email RSDavid   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm Filipino living in the Northeast US. Been on a couple of cruises AND YES a HAPPY CREW makes for a HAPPY CRUISE!! Just like what sympatico said 'I don't know how they do it! To me the best and happiest CREW was on the Majesty of the Seas. I'm a bit biased, 'coz I'm Filipino, and the Head Chef of the Majesty was Filipino and most of the Filipino crew was like best friends with him. We had a lot of FUN on this ship. I just don't know how much it has changed since its moved from the Western Carib. to the Bahamas run!
Posts: 7 | From: Nutley, New Jersey USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gerry
First Class Passenger
Member # 168

posted 06-02-2000 09:53 AM      Profile for Gerry     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Caronia,

Is your Dad Andy ? If so I know him well.

Posts: 315 | From: Miami, Florida, (originally from UK) | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Caronia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1312

posted 06-02-2000 03:42 PM      Profile for Caronia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, that's right! In fact, i think i might know who you are!
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 06-02-2000 09:21 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For the last few years I would have to think
the best are the crews aboard Holland America
Line ships.
If we go back a few years I would say the
French Line and Swedish-American Line. In
my opinion during the 1950-1960's, no one
could touch the crews of the French Line.
As ships began doing more and more cruises
and fewer crossings, the Swedish-American
Line was tops in the 1960's. Another great
crew during the 1950's was that aboard the
Caronia.....they were the very best Cunard
had.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 06-03-2000 12:15 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NAL...you could always tell those stewards, mostly scouse, they had "Cunaaard feet" 10 to 2 with a funny sort of shuffle from carrying trays on a moving deck...no stabilizers in those days on the Western Ocean....peter
Terry
First Class Passenger
Member # 448

posted 06-03-2000 01:10 PM      Profile for Terry   Email Terry   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Peter, perhaps you might know,

The original SUN PRINCESS started life as THE SPIRIT OF LONDON. After the P&O takeover of Princess in 1974 she was renamed. At the beginning she had, like all P&O vessels Goanese stewards and dining staff and British officers. Although the Brits were retained at some point the Goanese were replaced by Italians. Could you shed any light on it.

Following the general line of the thread I would say the best service I have been given onboard ship has been from these splendid staff. Then I would say that: I like their Currys so much.

Terry

Posts: 391 | From: Brandon, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
wendymike_uk
First Class Passenger
Member # 1302

posted 06-03-2000 01:22 PM      Profile for wendymike_uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Terry,

I agree that Goanese staff are the best ever. P & O ships still have a large percentage of them and the service is first class.

Posts: 21 | From: England | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Carol C
Just Boarded
Member # 1297

posted 06-03-2000 02:26 PM      Profile for Carol C     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would have to give my vote to HAL, I have been on several of their ships and have not experienced one bad moment with staff, they seem especially sincere to help and I agree always with a smile and courtesy.
Posts: 8 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 06-03-2000 03:17 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Terry...she was bought "on the stocks" as the saying goes from one of the Norwegian companies. The change to Italians probably ?? didn't come until Princess absorbed Sitmar.
The Goanese are good and I agree about the curries for tiffin. Our two trips on HAL did not impress us with either the service or the food.
Our vote today goes to the Phillipinos of Orient Line.
btw. Don't you find it rather ironic that the old Spirit of London is back under the P&O flag all these years after they got rid of her.....peter

Terri Lee
First Class Passenger
Member # 942

posted 06-03-2000 03:31 PM      Profile for Terri Lee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would say without a doubt,that the main reason I keep returning to HAL ships is because of the Indonesian and Filipino crews.

After 11 cruises since 1996 on HAL,I know most of the guys on board and they all know me by my first name....no standing on ceremony there! And as a gal travelling alone,they take pretty good care of me and treat me like a Princess.

Each time I board one of their ships,there is always a wonderful welcome with lots of hugs and kisses and of course,WONDERFUL SMILES!!

I love them all to bits....need I say more???

TL

Posts: 292 | From: Burlington Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 06-06-2000 09:36 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Terri Lee.....
I couldn'y agree with you more.....Amen!!

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Terri Lee
First Class Passenger
Member # 942

posted 06-06-2000 07:43 PM      Profile for Terri Lee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NAL...

I am glad I'm not the only one who loves the HAL crews to bits.As they say in Indonesia...
.....WAH BAGUS!!!!!!(to the uninitiated,that means FANTASTIC!!!)

TL

Posts: 292 | From: Burlington Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Winner
First Class Passenger
Member # 1188

posted 06-12-2000 03:21 PM      Profile for Winner   Email Winner   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No question! We just returned yesterday aboard the ship with the most fantastic crew: Seabourn Pride. By the second day everyone with whom we had come in contact knew our names--and what we like to eat and drink. Service was at your elbow but never intrusive. The Hotel Manager cares about every aspect of the ship and it shows. In more than 40 cruises we had never experienced such an attentive, friendly, professional, and, yes, happy crew!
Posts: 113 | From: Santa Rosa CA USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 06-13-2000 08:12 AM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HAL, has the best!
Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 06-13-2000 10:53 AM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The best service on any cruise I have been on was the crew on Celebrity's Mercury. Perfect! However, I am going to surprise myself by voting the Norwegian Sky crew the BEST! They gave us extra special service with a SMILE Something that was lacking a lot on the Mercury. Our waiter was Filipino, and very friendly and sweet. But the other nationalities on board were great too. The assistant cruise director was the best! I can not remember his name. He was from Barbados. He made the cruise fun.
Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
marble
First Class Passenger
Member # 1122

posted 06-19-2000 07:05 PM      Profile for marble   Email marble   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have only been on 3 cruises, but of those 3 I would have to say that Royal Olympic's, Stella Solaris crew has to be my favorite. The crew was primarily Greek. I was treated like a Queen. I would go again just because of the crew. They were a great bunch of people.
Posts: 14 | From: Ga | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gerry
First Class Passenger
Member # 168

posted 07-05-2000 02:30 PM      Profile for Gerry     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Caronia,

I was onboard QE2 in New York the other day, your dad says Hi...

Posts: 315 | From: Miami, Florida, (originally from UK) | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Justine
First Class Passenger
Member # 1335

posted 07-05-2000 11:23 PM      Profile for Justine   Email Justine   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Definitely without question HAL.
Posts: 126 | From: Northern Ontario | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Caronia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1312

posted 07-06-2000 05:45 AM      Profile for Caronia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Gerry! He emailed the other day saying how he'd 'found out' about me on here!! He knows too many people!

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.