- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » SS Norway First Timers

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SS Norway First Timers
KPK
Just Boarded
Member # 1519

posted 08-16-2000 10:49 AM      Profile for KPK   Email KPK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi all

I'm new to the board and to the pleasures of the cruise.....love reading all your comments.

My wife and will be travelling over from Liverpool UK, to Miami in October to board the SS Norway's eastern Caribbean cruise.
Really looking forward to it, but have some slight reservations which maybe some of you can help me with.

I've read a few scare stories on various cruise boards regarding the size of the cabins....what i want to know is (and please forgive my naiveity) What are the best (ie affordable but comfortable!) size cabins to opt for?....is it possible to upgrade to larger accommodation once you are on board?...and if so, who do you see about doing so?

Also, If any one has took the eastern carribean route can they reccommend/warn me off any of the excursions..........I was checking out the NCL page earlier and I did'nt realise there were soo many to choose from!

Finally, a bloke I work with tells me that October is a bad time to take the Carribean route as its the worst period of the hurricane season.....obviously, this doesn't exactly fill me with glee........can someone please put my mind at rest(!)

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but as the month of October draws closer I'm becoming more and more excited by the prospect of the holiday....and i find this website extremely useful as everyone i Work with is sick to death of hearing me going on about it!

Cheers
K P Kirby
kevin@edt.org.uk

Posts: 6 | From: Liverpool England | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Premier
First Class Passenger
Member # 1463

posted 08-16-2000 10:55 AM      Profile for Premier     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I only know that the Norway is nice for the price you pay. The cabins on the norway are some of the biggest cabins in the NCL fleet.
Posts: 64 | From: New Jersey(Birthplace of the Emerald Seas) | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 08-16-2000 11:36 AM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KPK; Yes it is hurricane season. I believe mid July - mid November. Just because it is hurricane season does not mean there will be one! Forget about the weather and have fun.
As for upgrading on NCL before you board go to the costumer service/info. desk and ask if they have any upgrades and if there is a charge. Sometimes it is quite expensive and others it can be as little as $27.00 per. What Islands are you going to?
Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruznut6
First Class Passenger
Member # 543

posted 08-16-2000 12:36 PM      Profile for cruznut6   Author's Homepage   Email cruznut6   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KPK

I sailed the Norway last Oct. and had a good time! She's nothing like today's ships, but that's the wonderful thing about her. I was on the Viking deck, and yes, those cabins(inside) are quite small (120 sq. ft). However, the bathroom was enormous. One excursion I enjoyed was the "Golden Eagle" catermaran in St. Martin. We sailed to a private island where we swam and explored. The return was quite a lively party, which was fun for everyone. Enjoy the ship and have a great time.

Happy cruising...Bob

Posts: 161 | From: Mount Laurel, NJ, USA | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
Pete n Earl
First Class Passenger
Member # 1301

posted 08-16-2000 11:34 PM      Profile for Pete n Earl     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We went on the Norway Oct 30,99. The weather was great except for the day in the Bahamas, had to skip the Private island, swells too rough. The Norway rides through rough seas better than any ship I've been on, It's an ocean liner.
Our cabin was a basic outside with two port holes(which are hard to see out off,unless you stand on a bed). The cabin, on the Norway deck,was a large 220 sq ft. Only problem was, the beds didn't push together.
For shore excursions, we loved the St John's sailing catamarren(which included snorkling & swimming) This ended in St Thomas, so we had plenty of time to enjoy St Thomas.
Hope the weather is nice & have a great time.

Posts: 19 | From: Maple Grove Mn 55311 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
tg_lindo
First Class Passenger
Member # 806

posted 08-17-2000 12:37 PM      Profile for tg_lindo   Email tg_lindo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I must echo the idea that Norway, as former SS France, was built with cabin sizes meant to accommodate the very wealthy down to budget travelers of the day. Also, if you're new to cruising, you're almost guaranteed think the cabin is small....you can't compare to land-based hotels.

I was in a D-grade Norway deck; it was fine. Friends were in C-grade on Viking deck; it was a bit bigger. It's those "one lower bed plus pullman" cabins I'd avoid!!!

However, my advice: if you keep the space as clutter-free as possible, the space will seem larger. That means unpack all your clothes into the closet and drawers, and stash the suitcase under the bed or in the closet. Never having to step over stuff has a positive psychological impact.

She's a wonderful ship. Do enjoy.

Posts: 349 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
KruzinKat
First Class Passenger
Member # 260

posted 08-17-2000 08:39 PM      Profile for KruzinKat   Email KruzinKat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We sailed on Norway in January and August of last year. (Fell in love with her in January and HAD to be onboard for what may have been her last trans-Atlantic in August.) Cabins do really vary deck to deck. If you, too, find you'd like to sail on her again, check out the cabins on Fjord Deck. Many have partially obstructed views - lifeboats hang outside the windows - but the rooms are very spacious and, due to the obstruction, the price is right! We're just disappointed that she's being relegated to shorter cruises now. What a waste of a grande lady! But, I guess it must make economic sense for NCL. But enjoy!

KruzinKat
(1 month 'til we're on Mercury for a trans-Canal!)

Posts: 101 | From: Kingston, MA USA | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
nzmike
First Class Passenger
Member # 1308

posted 08-17-2000 09:51 PM      Profile for nzmike   Email nzmike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would advise contacting NCL direct or a travel agent which knows the company and the Norway well. As you can get variances even within the same grade cabin on board Norway it pays to talk to someone who knows! But you can rest assured that you are travelling on one of the most unique ships afloat. She is truly AMAZING.
Posts: 186 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
redneckcruiser
Just Boarded
Member # 1489

posted 08-18-2000 12:18 AM      Profile for redneckcruiser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey Cruisers,
We were on the Norway on the sky deck with a balcony that looked out over the rear of the ship. We thought it was nice.
Then as we were disembarking, we toured the corner cabin right next to ours, and were amazed at the difference, totally different feel, look, layout it was the cabin I will try to book next time we go on the Norway.
They said That ocean waves come in threes and the Norway was made long enought to ride all three at the same time, and hence the smooth ride. Although the crew told us stories about wild rides. I have noticed that Norwegian really "sells" and I usually check with them direct, just to make sure, before I book with an agent. I really dont know why they even list prices, because many first time cruisers would not think that what you pay may be way, way, way less than what they print.

We are doing Olympic Voyager in about 2 weeks, I'll let you know how it was.

NAbbott
First Class Passenger
Member # 1522

posted 08-18-2000 10:48 AM      Profile for NAbbott   Email NAbbott   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KPK,

I have cruised in the Caribbean in October and we are leaving on the Norway in 5 weeks and I am not worried about the weather. The way I look at is, they know where the storms are and will steer clear.

Have a great trip.

Nancy

Posts: 23 | From: Monroe, LA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sherry
First Class Passenger
Member # 421

posted 08-18-2000 07:42 PM      Profile for Sherry   Email Sherry   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,

We had a good time on our cruise in the Virgin Islands. St. Maarten was a disappointment. The island was hit by Hurricane Lenny last fall, and there is a lot of cleanup that still needs to be done. St. Maarten is colonized by the French and Dutch. We landed on the Dutch side and took a taxi to the French side, with a stop at Orient Beach. Beautiful beach, but part of it is a nude beach, and most of those folks should keep their clothes on. Even allowing for the hurricane, though, we didn’t care for St. Maarten as much as we did St. John and St. Thomas. Those islands are clean and beautiful.

We bought snorkel equipment a couple of weeks before we sailed. We snorkeled on St. John, St. Thomas, and Great Stirrup Cay, and really enjoyed it. We got off the ship at 6:45 am in St. John and hiked to Honeymoon Beach. We had been there last year and remembered that it wasn’t crowded at all. We ferried over to St. Thomas mid-day and took a cab to Coki Beach. We snorkeled there for a couple of hours, then went shopping downtown. The taxi took us through some very scenic areas. Both islands are very beautiful.

Great Stirrup Cay (Bahamas) was too crowded. We were tendered onto the beach and we snorkeled a while. My son and two friends went out deep into the ocean where he saw lots of fish, and even watched a small shark eat a tropical fish. He came back safely, so I guess all is well.

We did enjoy our cruise, but there were some unhappy people on board. There were a few problems with the a/c. The food was good, not great. The service was very good to excellent. Some of the entertainment was outstanding, some bad, some nights almost nothing was offered. NCL cut a lot of corners on this cruise.

My husband had to have a special diet, and the waitstaff impressed us with their ability and willingness to cater to his special needs, particularly the maitre’d. We were very grateful to them.

Since so many people refer to The Norway as a 'classy lady', we expected some charm. She wasn’t in bad shape, but she was still a little drab. When you see her from shore, she’s a beautiful ship, but I couldn’t find any other endearing characteristics. There was nothing special or classic about any of the public areas. My apologies to the legions of Norway-lovers. We really hoped to join your ranks. We still had a good cruise, though.

Our room on Viking Deck was large (242 sq. ft), the service was very good. We made some nice friends this trip and we had a good time.

Go with an open mind and you'll have a good cruise.

Sherry
schube@fais.net

Strat
First Class Passenger
Member # 1319

posted 08-24-2000 12:27 PM      Profile for Strat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sailed on Norway last week in June and absolutely loved it. It was our second cruise. As far as small rooms go, ours was as small as it gets. Probably about 90 square feet, bunk beds, etc. However, we, my wife and I, had our own room and our kids (9 & 11) had an identical room across the hall (this was more private for us, and actually cheaper than a larger room for four). I thought the ship was in great shape. Although it was packed, I rarely felt it and, in particular, enjoyed swimming and walking the deck in the very early morning hours (one morning around 6:00, I was in the top pool for over twenty minutes and didn't see another person the whole time). I am concerned that NCL is starting this open dining crap trying to appeal to a broader audience. If this is the case, I will not use NCL again as I thoroughly enjoy dressing up (and seeing my wife all dolled up) to eat dinner and go to a show. Islands were nice (rented a car on St. Johns and spent several hours on a beach to ourselves. Eagle Catemaran was quite a ride - rough seas - many people sick - take the complimentary sea-sick pills from the Norway before leaving.

Strat

Posts: 25 | From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.