- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Changes in P&O fleet

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changes in P&O fleet
PauloMestre
First Class Passenger
Member # 1613

posted 10-11-2000 05:56 AM      Profile for PauloMestre   Email PauloMestre   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've heard of some rumors involving P&O cruise fleet and I would like to know if anyone can confirm or deny and make comments. It seems that P&O is going to withdraw Victoria of service in 2003 and replace her with a newbuild of similiar size. But it seems that they are going to replace her by transfering Royal Princess to P&O Cruises.

Regards
Paulo Mestre

Posts: 311 | From: Alhos Vedros, Setubal, Portugal | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-11-2000 01:31 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi, I've only heard rumors too!

I've not been on Victoria (yet) but she looks like a very nice little 'classic' style cruise ship (1966). In fact she is not unlike the 'Black Watch' in terms of intimate size and style, which I recently had such a good cruise on.(Both ships are 28,000 tons ish - 800 ish pax)

So if you fancy a cruise on a 'classic' rather than a 'mega', you've got three years left to experience her!

Another one bites the dust!

A proper ship?

Picture borrowed from: http://www.pocruises.com/

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 10-11-2000).]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 10-11-2000 01:58 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, it´s true, I´ve heard similar things. I guess ships like the VICTORIA or the ASTRA II are too old for P&O Princess Group and they sell them to be updated with a modern fleet.
Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 10-12-2000 12:14 AM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a shame. The Royal Princess has very small cabins, poor cabin insulation, low ceilings, and a very poor lay out. Not much better than a converted ferry; on par with the old Song of America. A real disaster for those that like proper ships; and a blessing for Princess in ridding their fleet of a ship worthy of Premier. Let her go!!
Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 10-12-2000 09:35 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You must be talking about a different Royal from the one we were on. The cabins were fine with a good size bathroom with tub. The ship actually has an excellent layout with the ALL outside cabins above the lounges deck and the dining room is low down midships for comfort. She has an all-round prom deck and lots of outside deck areas.
What she is not is one of the newer floating glitzy Hyatts with thousands of people and skating rinks or whatever, which evidently is your likes.
There are still lots of people who prefer the smaller ships.....peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
jmperry1
First Class Passenger
Member # 1462

posted 10-12-2000 12:40 PM      Profile for jmperry1   Email jmperry1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with gohaze. Royal Princess is a lovely ship and her standard staterooms are quite spacious. On the other hand, I once sailed Song of America and was not saddened to see her leave RCCL's fleet. Grant's description seems accurate as applied to her.

James

Posts: 71 | From: Oakland CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 10-12-2000 11:51 PM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I was a little cruel to Royal Princess, but she sure earns some of it. The cabins are much smaller than found on Star (Arcadia), Crown and Regal. Smaller too than aboard the Sun class of vessels, and also significantly smaller than those aboard the Sky (Pacific Star). The cabin layout is awkward, with the fold up, fold down narrow sofa/bed arrangement. The bathtub is very small, better discribed as a large foot bath! While there is lots of deck space, some of it is not really usable. The rear tiers of decks A,B,C are too narrow to place deck loungers; it is only possible to place deck chairs or lean against the railing. The forward tiers are incredibly noisy, as the air intakes for the ventilation system pull in and exhaust air at the forward decks. The noise is loud enough that quiet conversation is not possible, let alone trying to talk to a small group of fellow travelers. If you have taken any video out there, replay it and have a listen! Should a cruise ship in the upper end have some metal deck railings-or would teak or varnished wood look and feel better? If you have ever had a cabin forward on Lido, forget sleeping in, as the noise through the ceiling from Sun deck is louder than an alarm clock. The same applies to cabins midships on Aloha. Did they really have to ramp the floor on Riviera Deck aft, or was this an attempt to raise the ceiling on the deck below? What ever the reason, it must have been an afterthought; one that has caused many to stumble. The corridors are much more narrow than those found on Sky, making meeting someone in the hall a manouver for both. The stairs are carpet covered metal rungs, not a proper stair case as found on Sky. I really would sooner have a decent sized inside cabin than a small outside with inflated or gouged pricing! P&O would have served their small ship devotees better, with moving the Sky Princess over to their fleet. For the record, I too am a small older SHIP devotee, preferring the Noordam, Victoria, old Fair/Dawn Princess, Jubilee type vessels. The Horizon is about as large as I like, and also about as new as I enjoy. From the moment I first experienced Royal Princess she was a disappointment; a ship not living up to the hype she came out with, nor matching her sailing companions in the fleet.
Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aussie1
First Class Passenger
Member # 25

posted 10-13-2000 12:57 AM      Profile for Aussie1   Email Aussie1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Back to the original topic of the post, I sailed on Victoria in June and she was teriffic. The crew openly talked about the fact P&O would like to replace her in 2002 with a newer but similarly sized ship. The reason is not Victoria's quality or age but the fact she is costs more to run than a new ship. Money is the bottom line in business. She is most likely to be sold but there is a chance she will be transfered to P&O Australia to run alongside Pacific Sky/Sky Princess, offering a slightly more upmarket experience than the Sky and perhaps some longer cruises. Whatever happens I hope she keeps sailing for many more years, the ship is a gem. (I may be a little biased as I love older ships with genuine wood panelling and the like.)
Posts: 493 | From: Sydney,NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 10-14-2000 08:59 AM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If the Royal Princess does indeed move to the P&O fleet there should be only one name considered for her. Diana. Named for the princess who christened her in 1984.

Likewise, the new 109,000 ton Grand Princess-class ship being built for P&O (the largest ship ever for the european market) should be named Canberra.

Are you listening P&O Princess?

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 10-14-2000 11:11 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey Grant...you sure did a hatchet job on the Royal, and then compare it poorly to something like the Noordam [never been on her but have on the Nieuw Amsterdam]and I understand she has the same vibration problems which they've never cured. How you can compare that maze they have in the accomodation beats me...some of those poor ole LOLs spend all day trying to find the dining room. Plus the mediocre food and service.
The Dawn is an OLD North Atlantic liner and not even in the same bracket...we've been on her too.
we enjoyed the Sky..did the repo from Osaka to Vancouver and she is on a par with the Royal.
How about the Pacific...have you been on her?
....peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
juddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1610

posted 10-15-2000 03:24 AM      Profile for juddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Ha Grant"
You mentioned the "Sky Princess" in your
last letter. My family are going on the
"Sky Princess" (Pacific Sky) when it arrives
for service in the next month. Can you tell
me about her. We've had some realy old boats
down hear over the years, So where looking
forward to the Sky Princess arrival
thanks JASON.

Posts: 24 | From: sydney australia | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
pungpui
First Class Passenger
Member # 1218

posted 10-16-2000 02:05 AM      Profile for pungpui     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally haven't been on Victoria but she sounds like a very good ship. From what i judged when i first saw her, i thought she was an old bomb that needed a structural facelift but i've heard it is a very nice ship and i honestly think it would be nice if we could have a classier ship down under because judging from Fair Princess and the like, they are pretty shabby. Also, she may need a refurbishment is she is going to travel with Australians becuase she needs some "Aussie" spirit! But scrapping here would be a disaster! And besides, Pacific Sky needs a friend!
Posts: 419 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aussie1
First Class Passenger
Member # 25

posted 10-17-2000 02:45 AM      Profile for Aussie1   Email Aussie1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pungpui,

Victoria was bought by P&O back in 1978 specifically for the Australian market and served as their Sydney based ship from 1979 to 1982 as the first Sea Princess. From their she went to Britain for a few years and then to Princess Cruises to run for the Americans for a few seasons. Now she is back with the British. There is no comparison between Fair Princess and Victoria, the Victoria is nicer in every way. Fair Princess still looks great, like a real ocean liner, but her interiors are an uninviting mix of plastic and stainless steel dating from the 1970's and 80's. Victoria is full of wood panelling and real craftsmanship and has a much warmer feeling all round. Another point in Victoria's favor is that she is a bigger ship yet carries 300 less passengers. Let's hope she makes it downunder one more time.

Posts: 493 | From: Sydney,NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
andizz
First Class Passenger
Member # 1629

posted 10-17-2000 06:43 AM      Profile for andizz   Email andizz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

i'll be sailing on Pacific Sky 10/11/2000 for her maiden cruise down under. its a 2 night 'cruise to no-where'
ive never been on 1 of these cruises to no where...has anyone here? what are they like?

when will her new paint job be applied or has this already happened? i know in the pacific sky brochure she has her new paint job but im guessing these are computer-generated?

Posts: 84 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
juddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1610

posted 10-17-2000 08:11 AM      Profile for juddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Andizz
The Sky Princess (Pacific Sky) arrives
in Sydney next Monday at 7.00am . At 12.00pm
she will sail to garden island dry dock
to be painted and have her deck slightly
altered at her stern . hopefully it will
be ready for your trip on 11/10/00.
Let me know what she's like, Im on the trip
leaving Nov 21.
Jason.

grep
First Class Passenger
Member # 900

posted 10-20-2000 02:18 AM      Profile for grep     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Juddy,

Do you know if Sky Princess is berthing at the International Terminal or at berth 8 darling harbour as i would like to wander down and welcolme her.

Posts: 13 | From: australia | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
juddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1610

posted 10-22-2000 03:00 AM      Profile for juddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"GREP"
Sky Princes will berth at N0 8 darling
harbour. I checked Sydney ports website
and cruise arrivals say's 6.30am . but
in the complete arrivals section say's
4.30 am , but that seems a bit early for
a cruise boat
I see you down there.
JUDDY.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.