- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Is a Passport needed for US Cit

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is a Passport needed for US Cit
29 again
First Class Passenger
Member # 1168

posted 11-15-2000 10:23 PM      Profile for 29 again     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If an American Citizen has Drivers Licenses and Certified Birth Certificate, is a passport needed for a Carribean cruise?
Posts: 18 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gooler1
First Class Passenger
Member # 1662

posted 11-16-2000 05:26 AM      Profile for Gooler1   Email Gooler1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My travel agent says no. My husband and I have them for ourselfs and 2 children. I would hate any question to come up and make for unneeded worry. We felt it best to get them. But we are traveling with children. I don't know if I would have worried if they were not coming
Posts: 12 | From: Catawissa, PA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 11-16-2000 08:02 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 29 again:
If an American Citizen has Drivers Licenses and Certified Birth Certificate, is a passport needed for a Carribean cruise?

It's always better to be safe than sorry. Some cruise lines are telling all passengers, whether they are US citizens or not, to carry a passport.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
tomc
First Class Passenger
Member # 1624

posted 11-16-2000 09:02 AM      Profile for tomc   Email tomc   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's great identification; you never know when it's needed.

*AND*

It's impressive as **** when you want to cash a check in East Overshoe, Ohio, and you whip out a passport.

heh heh

Posts: 78 | From: Wilkes-Barre PA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Strat
First Class Passenger
Member # 1319

posted 11-16-2000 12:48 PM      Profile for Strat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been on two cruises out of the country and neither time did I, my wife, or kids need a passport. Birth certificates and driver's license were sufficient.

Despite this, I'd still like to get one sometime...It's just that I've been too lazy thus far.

Posts: 25 | From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 11-16-2000 04:52 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This passport question always seems to be posed by Americans.

Birth Certificate, Drivers License does not prove Citizenship - a Passport does.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 11-16-2000 07:10 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Travel Tip #1 Don't forget birth certificate MUST have the raised seal! Copies are not acceptable
Posts: 549 | From: Mt. Pocono,Pa. Usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
harborman
First Class Passenger
Member # 1248

posted 11-16-2000 07:49 PM      Profile for harborman   Email harborman   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do yourself a favor and get one, it's good for ten years and if you should decide to travel other than a carribean cruise you'll have it. I believe it's the best form of identification you can have.
Enjoy your cruise.

Posts: 147 | From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
tomc
First Class Passenger
Member # 1624

posted 11-16-2000 08:55 PM      Profile for tomc   Email tomc   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Five people on this thread are from Pennsylvania. Just thought I'd mention that.
Posts: 78 | From: Wilkes-Barre PA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 11-16-2000 09:00 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
tomc, when you livein Pa. you'll do anything togo on a cruise LOL. My buddy starfish is from the Wilkes-Barre area too.

Hey maybe if everybody fromPachipped in we couldby the Oceanic!

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 11-16-2000 09:46 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Raised seal - flat seal - I speak as a Canadian - we're a different country.

I quote,
"harborman
Do yourself a favor and get one, it's good for ten years and if you should decide to travel other than a carribean cruise you'll have it. I believe it's the best form of identification you can have.
Enjoy your cruise."

Happy cruisin'

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
DCM
First Class Passenger
Member # 1454

posted 11-17-2000 08:12 AM      Profile for DCM     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with my fellow Pennsylvanians. Get the passport. You never know, Malcolm might invite you to dinner next weekend and it would be ashame that you missed the opportunity just because you don't have a passport.
Posts: 55 | From: Southeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 11-17-2000 10:15 AM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am sure it is not fair to have a different set of rules for Americans and other World citizens. However most cruise lines say in their books "US citizens documents that will be accepted as proof of citizenship are: a passport; an original or certified birth certiticate and any photo ID; or naturalization papers and photo ID" This should answer your orginal question.

With that said I say get your passports they are better proof of ID for any business transaction you might make while in a foreign country and they are easier to keep track of. As mentioned above they last for ten years and are not that costly.
Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jesse C
First Class Passenger
Member # 1678

posted 11-18-2000 12:19 AM      Profile for Jesse C   Email Jesse C   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I sailed to Bermuda on the MS Crown Dynasty with my family...
I needed a passport!

My father forgot his when he arrived at the airport. In fact, he had to take a seperate flight to Philadelphia, the port of call.

He almost missed the Crown Dynasty, because of how late he was.

Fortunately, he came in the nick of time.

Happy Sailing!

Regards,
Jesse

Posts: 244 | From: Houston, Texas, United States of America | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stevesan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1494

posted 11-18-2000 09:04 AM      Profile for Stevesan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green, it's a birth certificate AND a driver's license. Cruise lines usually tell pax to have Both because a photo ID is required with the birth certificate. A passport IS hassle free!!!
Posts: 46 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 11-18-2000 11:50 AM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stevesan - think you misunderstood - my Birth Certificate is from the UK - Drivers license, with picture, is Ontario, Canada.........BUT my Citizenship is CANADIAN.

Like you say "A passport IS hassle free!!!"

Happy cruisin'

K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 11-18-2000 12:05 PM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stevesan; I thought the same thing about the drivers liscense but, I took the quote right out of RCCI new book from the travel document section.
Kevin

geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 11-18-2000 12:13 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought this might be interesting. On our last tripto Bermuda on the Norweigan Crown, we had allour documents in an envelope,the gal checking us in said," Do you have all your docements?" We said yes here they are do you want to see them and she said, "No just as long as you have them" And now when you getoff the ship when returning home younolonger see a customs person unlessthey choose to check you when you get off and get yourluggage. So we brought allthese documents and NOBODY even looked at them LOL. However if you forgot something you could be sure somebody would want to see them.
K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 11-18-2000 06:11 PM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TomC or anyone from Penn.: Are you close to Cheswick? (spelling). The people we met on a cruise in 95 and cruise with often and again this year live there! Just curious. It looks like Penn. has as much representation as does Canada.
Kevin

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 11-18-2000 07:00 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One thing nobody has mentioned...if you are travelling with children be prepared to have proper identification for them, especially if you go out of your country. The border authorities are being a lot more strict about them because of all these abductions etc.
So, as this applies mostly to Americans, get passports for all of them - the Brits aren't allowing children on parents passports anymore either - and join the rest of the world.
....peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Gooler1
First Class Passenger
Member # 1662

posted 11-19-2000 07:01 AM      Profile for Gooler1   Email Gooler1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My travel agent said the same thing about children. She recommended the passports even thought the brochure says it is not needed.
geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 11-19-2000 12:11 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome Aboard Gooler1....Long Live Knoebel's!!
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 11-19-2000 02:16 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Citizenship Quote -
"THE DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS and INTERNATIONAL TRADE reiterates its longstanding advice that Canadians carry and use a Canadian Passport for all visits outside of the country, including trips to the United States. Increasingly Canadians are required to show identification that includes a photo. Your Passport is the most widely accepted form of identification. It confirms your identity and, more importantly, your right to re-enter Canada."

Child passports etc. - Mexico, (and perhaps other countries) requires that children accompanied by only one parent or anyone other than the parent(s) be in possession of a notarized letter certifying that the accompanying adult(s) is/are authorized to be responsible for the minor(s).

I don't know but would doubt that this requirement applies only to Canadians.

Gooler1
First Class Passenger
Member # 1662

posted 11-19-2000 04:03 PM      Profile for Gooler1   Email Gooler1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Knoebel's is still going strong-in fact I work for them in the summer-just to pay for my cruise aboard the Norway!
Terri Lee
First Class Passenger
Member # 942

posted 11-19-2000 04:44 PM      Profile for Terri Lee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I cannot believe that anyone who travels these days does not possess a valid passport.US passports are valid for 10 years,I believe, and Canadian passports for only 5 years.

A passport is the safest form of identification and the most widely accepted.
So get on board guys and join the rest of the world!!!!

Terri:-))

Posts: 292 | From: Burlington Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.