- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise line released the following statement regarding Hurricane Beryl:

Carnival's Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring forecasts for possible impacts to itineraries from Hurricane Beryl. Given Hurricane Beryl’s projected path, Carnival has adjusted the following itineraries: Carnival Horizon will add a visit to Nassau, The Bahamas on Friday, July 5....

Latest News...Oceania Cruises has marked an important milestone in the construction of its new 1,200-guest ship, Allura, at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri Ponente, Italy, bordering the famed seaport of Genoa. A landmark moment as the ship moves towards completion, the vessel was floated from the dry-dock and moved to the fitting-out berth to begin outfitting the luxurious, designer-inspired interiors....

Latest News...Crystal, the leader in exceptional cruise experiences, announced today the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri. This agreement marks the commencement of the construction of two groundbreaking ships that will redefine high-end travel on the seas.The 690-passenger (based on double occupancy), 61,800-gross-ton ships ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Worst cruise ship names ever... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Worst cruise ship names ever...
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 11-18-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the post about the building of the Brilliance of the Seas, Malcolm said he though it was a terrible name. I would be inclined to agree.
Are there any other ship names y'all find quite boring and, for the want of a better word, crappy? To me, Whits Star's "Gigantic" was terrible (thank God they changed it although as it turned our they needn't have bothered), however it was the image wanted in that era. I also hate Anything Pride, just sounds cheap. And of course, BRB2 and R4 etc. Ugh, no imagination whatsoever.

Paddy.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Bernard
First Class Passenger
Member # 1038

posted 11-18-2000 08:07 PM      Profile for Bernard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The new Celebrity ships have terrible names.

Also names like Golden princes and Mistral are no good.

Bernard, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Posts: 94 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tomc
First Class Passenger
Member # 1624

posted 11-18-2000 08:21 PM      Profile for tomc   Email tomc   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Song of Flower
Posts: 78 | From: Wilkes-Barre PA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
andizz
First Class Passenger
Member # 1629

posted 11-18-2000 09:50 PM      Profile for andizz   Email andizz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
celebrities 'summit'.....what has that name got to do with a ship?
Posts: 84 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 11-18-2000 10:21 PM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
another vote for Song of Flower
Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-19-2000 06:49 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've made this joke before, but like all good cruise directors, I will make it again and again:

"Celebrities two sister ships to 'Summit' are to named 'North Face' and 'Base Camp' "

The 'R' ships take some beating for inspiration! The big red boats, which are of course ships, has also got to be one of silliest string of names.

'Black Watch' and 'Black Prince' are also rather untypical - but are named because of a Scottish theme.

I must say that 'Song of Flower' is an odd name, but interesting. I suppose it means something in somebodies mind or culture?

I don't think you can beat the ships named after the British Monarchy - but them I'm very biased!

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 11-19-2000).]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Eric Cruises
First Class Passenger
Member # 957

posted 11-19-2000 07:28 AM      Profile for Eric Cruises   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Cruises   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Star Cruises name their newbuilding as SUPERSTAR CANCER, that will be the worst name in the world!
Posts: 301 | From: Hong Kong, China | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 11-19-2000 08:52 AM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Song of Flower is indeed a very strange name. What where they on when they chose that name. Golden Princess sounds cheap, but Mistral I think is okay. Having Said that "European Vision" is terrible, and her sister "European Dream (?????)". Aie aie aie.

Is it just my imagination or do the cruise lines just pool a load of key word like Vision, Spirit, Pride, Dream, Wind etc and attach a cruise line trademark just to make sure it can be "distinguished". Very very dull, like many of their ships (aesthetically speaking only of course )

Paddy.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-19-2000 01:09 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If factmany of the Cruise Line names are pretty silly too: Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Festival, Premier and Royal Caribbean*!

At least P&O, NCL, HAL, Fred.Olsen and Cunard have real meanings.

(*In Britain a business can only be called Royal is it is endorsed by our Monarch.)

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 11-19-2000 01:12 PM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And what do you mean about the horrific names of the latest Costa's ships? Costa Victoria is simply terrible(why Victoria?This is one of the worst contemporary cruise ship,the only one that doesn't offer any private balcony in her small cabins).Costa Atlantica is simply ridicolous(which name will have her sister ship scheduled to be delivered in 2003?Costa Pacifica or Indiana like the oceans?).In Italy we have wonderful names like Solare,Sportiva,Laguna.Why don't they choose one of these?
Posts: 887 | From: Orvieto (Italy) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
tomc
First Class Passenger
Member # 1624

posted 11-19-2000 03:00 PM      Profile for tomc   Email tomc   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it's classy that the -dam ships keep the old names and hang on to their heritage.
Posts: 78 | From: Wilkes-Barre PA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 11-19-2000 04:50 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm...you obviously don't know the origin of the name Princess Cruises. The company's first ship was the chartered Princess Marguerite of Canadian Pacific's British Columbia Coastal Service, and it carried on from there. All the CPR coastal ships were called Princess .... whilst the Ocean Service Passenger ships were mainly Empresses, Duchesses and Monts,and the cargo vessels were Beavers.
....peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 11-20-2000 05:52 AM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry gohaze but I disagree with you:the first ship chartered by Princess cruises was the Princess Patricia(6ooo tons) that offered cruises to the Mexican riviera.The next two chartered ship were the Italia(now Sapphire of Louis cruise lines) and Carla Costa(destroyed by fire in Piraeus harbour in 1994),both owned by Costa Line.
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-20-2000 06:54 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gohaze, no I did not know the origin of 'Princess' - interesting!
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 11-20-2000 10:48 AM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As illustrious as the QUEEN MARY moniker is, for a contemporary liner, QM2 sounds dowdy and dated. And most of Carnival's names are ridiculous.

Celebrity has good names. The "of the Seas" theme from RCCL is getting old. VIKING SERENADE is silly-sounding, but NORDIC EMPRESS isn't.

Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 11-20-2000 10:58 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're right..it was the Pat. She and the Marguerite were built for the run between Vancouver and Victoria to connect with the trans-continental CPR train called the Canadian which ran to Toronto and Montreal.
There was also the 2 "night boats", the Elizabeth and Joan which sailed at midnight from each end.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 11-20-2000 11:37 AM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Three words: BIG RED BOAT. Period.
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 11-20-2000 11:52 AM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another two terrible names:Silver Whisper and Silver Shadow(in italian shadow means "ombra").Which other strange name will Silversea choose for its next ships?Perhaps Silver Tempest and Silver Storm?Also the names of the Princess new ships are terrible:Coral,Diamond and Sapphire.Is this a cruise line or a yewerly?
JP
First Class Passenger
Member # 1373

posted 11-20-2000 03:27 PM      Profile for JP     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since tradition is such a big thing with HAL, why did they have to call the new ship Amsterdam and not Nieuw Amsterdam? Amsterdam without the Nieuw will never sound right to me.
Posts: 280 | From: Minnesota, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 11-24-2000 07:55 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
JP.....

I thought it sounded strange to me also. I
think they now want it named after the Dutch
capital rather than the former name of NYC.
I suppose in time we'll get used to it.

I visited the ship on 10/21/00 and I must
tell you it is very special. I am eager to
sail on her which I will on 9/7/01.

Happy cruising!

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Commodore
First Class Passenger
Member # 1575

posted 11-25-2000 08:29 AM      Profile for Commodore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well,I know some of you may disagree,but I think Rembrant is a bad name.I'm not saying it's terrible,but Rembrant is the name of a toothpaste.
Posts: 1106 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
dockside
First Class Passenger
Member # 1622

posted 11-25-2000 08:56 AM      Profile for dockside   Email dockside   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Once, shipping companies wanted passengers to remember a unique ship. Memorable names were given to ships (e.g. Rex, Ile de France, Bremen, Queen Mary, United States, etc..). Today, they want you to remember the "product", Carnival, Princess, RCI. This is effective. Ask a first time cruiser after a couple of years what ship their cruise was on and 9 times out of 10 they will say, "Carnival something" or "One of those 'dam' ships" or "Princess something" or "something of the Sea".
I think it is unfortunate that what should be a lifetime memory is reduced to a company logo.

Posts: 52 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-25-2000 07:27 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Commodore:
Well,I know some of you may disagree,but I think Rembrant is a bad name.I'm not saying it's terrible,but Rembrant is the name of a toothpaste.

Commodore, I think that you will find that the Rembrant is named after a famous Artist, rather than a Toothpaste This is apt as the Rembrant is indeed a work of art!

Jesse C
First Class Passenger
Member # 1678

posted 11-25-2000 09:03 PM      Profile for Jesse C   Email Jesse C   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
"The big red boats, which are of course ships, has also got to be one of silliest string of names."]

Malcolm, Big Red Boat is but a nickname.
Big Red Boat 1 is legally the Starship Oceanic.

Big Red Boat 2 is legally the MS Edinburgh Castle.

Big Red Boat 3 is legally the TSS IslandBreeze.

The real names aren't as catchy, are they?

Have a good red time..

Jesse

Posts: 244 | From: Houston, Texas, United States of America | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
PauloMestre
First Class Passenger
Member # 1613

posted 11-26-2000 04:49 AM      Profile for PauloMestre   Email PauloMestre   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For me it as to be: VISTAMAR. Is this a suitable name for a ship? I don't think so... ALBATROS is also a weird name, because a albatros is a bird considered as bad omen by sailors. Fortunately the name isn't affecting the ship because she's a very succesfull ship.

Regards

Paulo Mestre

Posts: 311 | From: Alhos Vedros, Setubal, Portugal | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.