- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » QE2 - Whinge, whinge, whinge (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: QE2 - Whinge, whinge, whinge
Vickie
First Class Passenger
Member # 466

posted 12-27-2000 04:47 PM      Profile for Vickie   Email Vickie   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just returned from a 2 week line voyage on the QE2 (Cape Town to Southampton) and was glad to get away from all the cranky passengers. This was my 7th QE2 trip and about my 23rd cruise but I've never been around so many angry, discontented people. Apparently, Cunard discounted the 4 week version (Southampton to Cape Town, Cape Town back to Southampton)tremendously in the UK - people quoted rates of 1000-1400 pounds per person for the entire month!! So, when I boarded in Cape Town, there were 1200 Brits on board who were making the round trip and approx. 500 of us joining the ship. Cabins which are normally not sold (or used for crew) were sold for this voyage. The weather was perfect (and had been), which was the start of the problems. Not enough deck chairs for all the sun worshippers, to the extent that there were fist fights (I saw 3 myself) between passengers. Each day's paper had reminders about not saving chairs, so as soon as a spouse got up to go the bathroom, someone tried to comandeer their chair; the spouse still sitting there explained - sometimes the other person left nicely, other times with nasty words and still other with fights. There were so many complaints about the teak chairs becoming uncomfortable for sun baking all day, so in Cape Town Cunard went out and bought as many chaise lounge chair pads as they could find. But there still weren't enough, so people became very territorial about these too. Luckily, I scooted to the Sun Deck to reserve a chair ($17/trip), and although they were all booked, they managed to find one for me so I didn't have to worry about leaving my chair!

Also, many thefts from the laundry!? I know people take wet clothes out of dryers because they want to dry their own items, or may take a pair of socks by accident...but entire washloads of clothing went missing. Several other women returned to the laundry to find only their underwear missing from their washloads.

And, toward the end of the trip, shop personnel were asking passengers not to say their cabin number out loud, but instead to write it down for the clerk. This was because they had many problems with passengers charging to other people's cabins. I wouldn't have believed it, except that for Cunard to instruct all shop personnel to follow this procedure, it must have been bad. (ALthough they're supposed to ask your last name to compare against the name associated with the cabin # on their computer, they rarely do. Again, it must have been a significant problem.)

In general, I heard and saw lots of discontented passengers who were very outspoken and rude. Guess that's what happens when they're packed in so tightly (plus, only 3 ports in 14 days - maybe some of them were stircrazy.)

Posts: 29 | From: Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-27-2000 05:05 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Vickie, I'm so sorry that your cruise was tarnished. It sounds like it was not all entirely Cunard's fault?

I understand that the QE2 is a pretty spacious ship. She has a space ration of 37 when all berths are full. Some budget ships only have a ratio of 19 or less. Mind you, it was a long cruise!

I assume that your previous QE2 experiences have been much better?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 12-27-2000 06:08 PM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vickie, I am so sorry to hear you had such a horrible cruise. Just goes to show that the calibre and reputation of the line and ship doesn't reflect the type of passenger.

Paddy.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
bostom
First Class Passenger
Member # 1628

posted 12-27-2000 07:44 PM      Profile for bostom   Email bostom   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paddy et al

Sadly, you're right, but can't some blame be laid at Cunard's feet for what, running it full? The mavens in Miami know how to get the fannies in the berths, but whose fannies?

OT1H, I can't blame Cunard for wanting to make a profit - I hope they do so they can keep doing what they do well (upscale cruises) - OTOH, to fill them they need to discount and in so doing, attract passengers without a similar cruise experience, or none at all.

The experiences Vickie encountered may surprise some but didn't shock me. It's clear Cunard needs to do some work in delivering the product it promises (tradition/service/enough chairs) while at the same time attracting more passengers who enjoy what makes (made?) Cunard unique.

Can they do it? Apparantly, making a profit is not something Cunard excelled at over the past few years. Now they have to. To me, it's that simple: change the product enough to attract more (read, new) passengers without alienating the old ones. Vickie's post makes it clear, however, that Cunard may want to rethink their appeal to the crossdressing community in an effort to cut down on the underwear thefts. (And who said Brits were dull?)

1999-2000 were years of transition at Cunard and it's not at all clear to me, in light of Vickie's experience and those of others I've read that they've sorted it out.

[This message has been edited by bostom (edited 12-28-2000).]

Posts: 93 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Elizabeth
First Class Passenger
Member # 142

posted 12-28-2000 01:29 AM      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Vickie

Thank you for your comments. We are sailing on the QE2 in a little over three weeks. I believe that part of our cruise is totally booked out so I will be interested to see if the same thing happens.

We have been on cruises on the QE2 before when there has not been a spare cabin on board, but have not experienced the problems you encountered in your last cruise on her.

Do you know what cunard did if people disputed the charges on their account? I guess that they would have to check the signatures????

Posts: 177 | From: New England Region N.S.W. Australia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-28-2000 02:56 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With three different grades of dining room, assigned to the different grades of cabin, you would think that the QE2 was in the BEST position to cater to the needs of differing passengers?

As for the cheating on cabin charges, maybe Cunard have to accept that not all people honest. I think some cruise lines use the plastic credit sized door key as a 'charge card'. In other words, if you don't have a card, you can't make a purchase on your account.

Vickie you should write a full review of your cruise for the review section (see menu of the left). We always need positive and negative reviews.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Vickie
First Class Passenger
Member # 466

posted 12-28-2000 11:13 AM      Profile for Vickie   Email Vickie   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In re-reading my original post, I wasn't sure if my point got through, but from the responses it appears it did! I agree, Cunard is going through changes and Carnival's impact can clearly be seen to those of us who appreciate her and know "how it used to be." I will post a review, but wanted to make a few other comments that are more appropriate here.

I did enjoy the cruise - it was certainly a different experience than any other cruise...just observing the other passengers was entertaining! I avoided the worst of the crowds by using the Lido at the end of meal times, watching shows while standing in the back of the lounge and staying off the boat deck and pool deck between 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. I also feel that, on the whole, the British passengers were relatively low key in their annoyance - lots of grumbling, heated conversations in small groups and pointed remarks, but few outbursts in public (although 2 of the fights I saw were between Brits!). I suspect it would have been different if the passengers were primarily American.

Some small examples of Carnival's influence: the shops on-board had very little merchandise and what they did have was old. We were told by shop personnel that Carnival is hiring all new buyers, new personnel and new lines of merchandise which should be in place for the world cruise. They already had the "Inches of Gold" jewelry there -- but hardly any sales. Different class of passenger than what Carnival is used to, I guess.

The drink prices were much higher than normal and I heard so many complaints about this. People weren't ordering wine at dinner - the sommeliers had nothing to do and some ended up being reassigned. The bars were not busy, or people stuck with beer. (Cocktails were about $5.00, which doesn't seem expensive by Carnival, Princess, RCCL standards but is quite an increase for Cunard.) One of the officers told me that during the first two weeks of the voyage, nearly 50% of the passengers had NO bar bill. Seems like Carnival/Cunard shot themselves in the foot by raising prices.

Also, Carnival has reduced the cruise staff's budget and so the decorations for gala nights (e.g. St. Nicholas Ball and Back to Britain) were pathetic. Picture crepe paper streamers (cut by hand, unevenly) wound half way around 2 - mind you, only 2 out of the 8 - pillars in the Queens Lounge; 2 or 3 balloons with the same uneven half-width streamers hanging down tied to 4 of the pillars; and some bedraggled cardboard cutout decorations taped to the musician's stands and 2 of the pillars. The decorations for both these nights looked like they belonged in a church basement somewhere, put up by well-meaning, but mis-intentioned parishioners. Cunard should have been embarassed - I know some senior members of the cruise staff were. It would have been better to have nothing!! (I know decorating can become very expensive, but buy enough crepe paper and balloons for all the pillars!!!) Ai yi yi!! THIS is the type of problem that turns people off - any other cruise line would have handled this so much better (let alone other upscale lines like Crystal or SilverSeas).

But, as I told several people, no ship is perfect and, for me, the things that Cunard does right are the things I care about (formal dress code, elegant decor, dancing, wooden decks & chairs, officers hosting tables, cultural lectures, tea on the Sun Deck, and a sense of history). I did like the voyage and will sail on her again in 2002 (assuming the Carnival influence doesn't ruin her).

Elizabeth
First Class Passenger
Member # 142

posted 12-28-2000 07:39 PM      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vickie thank you very much for your comments on the QE2 cruise. When we were on the Seabourn Sun last month the drinks were very reasonably priced - cocktails were only $3.50, so lots of passengers were imbibing. Hopefully Cunard will realise their mistake and reduce the prices of their drinks and wines as I suspect that this is generally quite a revenue raiser.

I am looking forward to reading your cruise review.

ELizabeth

Posts: 177 | From: New England Region N.S.W. Australia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PC
First Class Passenger
Member # 1191

posted 12-28-2000 10:43 PM      Profile for PC   Email PC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting comments, Vickie. I was on QE 2 latter part of February on part of World Cruise from Sydney to Hong Kong, and have booked next year's World Cruise from Hong Kong to Phuket, Thailand. When boarding at Sydney, we were photographed and issued a plastic passenger card with your name, photo, and a bar code with a bunch of numbers. Whenever you charged or purchased anything, you had to give this card to the wait staff or sales clerk. If this card is still being used, I don't see how people can charge items to another room.

Lucky for us, on the World Cruise segments in Australasia, the ship is never full, only 50 - 60% of capacity, so we find that's the best time to be on her. Everything is more relaxed, and certainly no fighting over deck chairs. The only time I had to wait for anything was the paddle tennis court, but that was a congenial group, and very fair in doling out whose turn it was to play next.

Come to think of it, the only things I enjoy on the QE 2 are the evening and afternoon tea ballroom dancing, the dance music and environment, the dance instruction, and the paddle tennis. I certainly don't go for the food, entertainment, the sun and deck, etc.

If anyone here will be on the QE 2 next year from Hong Kong to Phuket, Thailand, Mar 5 - 17th, let me know. This will be my 3rd time on her.

Posts: 102 | From: Hong Kong, SAR | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 12-29-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vickie - interesting comments.

Did you receive a breakdown of passenger nationalities? Would be interesting to see it .

Breakdown on our September 2000 - Southampton/New York crossing was -
USA - 681: UK - 512: German - 193: Canadian - 42: Netherlands - 40:
Belgium - 31: Australia - 25: Switzerland - 18: Sweden - 13: Ireland - 11:
Spain, South Africa, Luxembourg - 3 each:
Czech. Norway, Italy, Japan. Denmark - 2 each:
New Zealand and Poland - 1 each

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 12-30-2000 04:27 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vickie's review has been added to the reader reviews at
http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/yourfav/yfc_cu_qe2_6.asp

Thanks Vickie.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-30-2000 05:28 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And a very well written review it is too! However, Vickie, there is one little section that I don't understand?

" They didn't like her costumes (one was completely see through over her breasts which was NOT popular at all).."

Not popular, why ever not? It would be very popular with me!

bostom
First Class Passenger
Member # 1628

posted 12-31-2000 06:21 AM      Profile for bostom   Email bostom   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you Vickie for such a thorough recap of your trip. I am saddened to hear your comments about the food and service but your experience mirrors that of friends on board CARONIA with us last month.

Was the Irish comedian Pat Mooney? Big man in hideous sequined jackets? If so, he WAS hilarious - sorry to hear the rest were only so-so.

Posts: 93 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-31-2000 06:34 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vickie:
I did like the voyage and will sail on her again in 2002...

Vickie, I am surprised that you are considering cruising on the QE2 again when you regarded so many aspects of the cruise to be poor:

"I've never been particularly impressed with the food..."

"In general, QE2's cabins are smaller and less luxurious than on other ships and the fittings are dated and/or worn".

"I don't expect much from on-board entertainment - after all, if the performers were really good, they'd be on Broadway or at least Las Vegas!"

I don't get it? Why give Cunard another chance when you could get so much more for your money on other ships/lines? (Everyone here rates HAL, for example). Cunard do not deserve your loyalty!

I recently cruised on the 'Black Watch' which certainly does not have the QE2's reputation or history. Although Fred Olsen is a small cruise line, I regarded the food, service and entertainment as excellent. In fact I though that both were so good, I could not suggest how they could possibly improve them!

I appreciate that it is all subjective. However, I personally would not return to a ship that did not offer high quality food, service and entertainment, plus good accomodation? After all these are a major part of the experience.

In fact on the Black Watch, I could not understand why many of the entertainers were not on Broadway, or London's West end? In fact I hope that some of the young singers and dancers will be one day, they were that good

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 12-31-2000).]

Southampton
First Class Passenger
Member # 1616

posted 12-31-2000 10:03 AM      Profile for Southampton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am amazed at all this. A P&O fan myself, I cant imagine such behavior there .We were thinking of a QE2 voyage in the coming year but are well put off, whatever the mitigating circumstances...
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 12-31-2000 11:06 AM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting review Vicki but like Malcolm, I'm surprised that you are planning another QE2 trip - I wouldn't. To each his own!

Happy cruisin'

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Colin
First Class Passenger
Member # 1676

posted 01-03-2001 04:22 PM      Profile for Colin   Email Colin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Loved reading the review Vickie. With our 4th QE2 trip planned for this year I'm most interested in what's happening.

A couple of points in your review set me thinking. $5 for a cocktail didn't seem excessive to me either so I dug out the bar menus from our previous trips (I'll steal anything that isn't nailed down ) and they show cocktails were $4.50 in both '98 and '99. I got the impression that a lot of the (UK) passengers were first time cruisers, perhaps expecting cheap duty-free prices, and not realising that the measures were considerably larger than at home.

You said that, 'Carnival's impact can clearly be seen'. Having sailed with Cunard more than a dozen times on various ships we've been anxiously watching for signs of Carnival's influence and so far they seem to be relatively minor: The 'Inches-of-Gold' sales; the art auctions; and new 'old' uniforms, which weren't as bad as I thought they might be. Apart from the cut in the cruise staff's budget, what other changes have you seen?

You mentioned that the cruise staff weren't much in evidence. Do you know who they were? We weren't much impressed with Les (as deputy cruise director) and agree wholeheartedly about Maureen. She's also an excellent dancer, but no-one ever asks her.

Is that the same Sheila Ferguson that used to be in the Three Degrees? If it is I'd have been surprised if she didn't sing lots of 70's and 80's numbers, but maybe they booked the wrong artist for that cruise (or maybe ended up with the wrong passenger mix for the artists they had booked ).

Regards, Colin.

Posts: 283 | From: Inverness, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vickie
First Class Passenger
Member # 466

posted 01-03-2001 05:10 PM      Profile for Vickie   Email Vickie   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Colin,

Yes, the Sheila Ferguson on board had been in the Three Degrees and I'm sure that's why she sang '70-'80s songs...but the audience had no clue who she was and certainly didn't know her songs. The see-through dress got so many comments the next day from men & women ("indecent", "shocking", "disgraceful") that I made a point of going to her next show to see if she would wear it again....and she did!?! I fault Cunard for not anticipating their audience (it's a 2 week cruise with 3 ports - who'd they think was going to be on board??) She probably would have been a huge hit on NCL, RCCL and maybe Princess but another entertainment mis-calculation by Cunard/Carnival.

That is the type of Carnival mind-set that I see encroaching on the QE2; you're right, taken individually, they're not such a big deal (art auctions, jewelry by the inch, shoddy shop merchandise, non-existent decorations, et. al) but put together, they're clear signs of a mass-market ship.
Cost reductions are becoming more obvious - fewer staff in the restaurants, so although waiters/busboys/etc. were rushing all over, service was still slow; cabin stewards are spread thinner too (mine had her # of cabins steadily from 10 to 15)

Having said all this, my only explanation is that I must have come under the sway of the cruise consultants while on board and the lure of that additional 5% discount...once I got home - back to reality - I realized that there's no sense rewarding shoddy service, etc. So, I canceled my 2002 reservation on the QE2. I've alerted my travel agent to keep an eye out for bargains on Crystal and HAL - repositionings are my favorite since there are lots of sea days. I sailed on the Rotterdam in Nov. 99 - loved the physical ship herself, gorgeous decor, furnishings, color scheme, etc. But, it's expensive for singles - the supplement is 150-175% and the guaranteed share program is not for me! I've sailed on Crystal 5 or 6 times, and although there single supplement is only 125%, their normal prices are so high that it's still costly. Their Panama Canal cruises are usually heavily discounted though, so that's an option too. I'll be on some ship, somewhere on the seven seas sometime soon!

First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 01-04-2001 12:42 AM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:

" They didn't like her costumes (one was completely see through over her breasts which was NOT popular at all).."

Not popular, why ever not? It would be very popular with me!

hahaha sounds like a good show ay Malcolm! :P

Umm there isnt really any point in Whinging, deck chairs and drinks are hardly going to ruien the QE2 experance and it seems like the passengers were bad, not the ship or staff.

[This message has been edited by Cunard (edited 01-04-2001).]

Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-05-2001 05:21 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The see-through dress got so many comments the next day...that I made a point of going to her next show to see if she would wear it again...

So would I

Did you take any pictures Vickie

NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 01-05-2001 05:31 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It seems unfair to me to blame Carnival for
many of the short-comings of the QE2. It has
been my experience that the problems began
long before Carnival was in the mix. There
are so many ships out there who run circles
around QE2.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-05-2001 05:31 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
...she sang '70-'80s songs...but the audience had no clue who she was and certainly didn't know her songs.

Vickie, a similar thing happened on my 'Black watch' cruise!

The Dance Company did a great 1970's show based on the Disco classics of the era. But many of the oldies got up and left! They obviously had never heard the songs.

The strange thing is that the 1970's were 20 plus years ago - they were hardly new songs! Many of the passengers would have been 30 to 40 then, did they not turn their radios on that decade?

colt
First Class Passenger
Member # 1215

posted 01-09-2001 12:07 PM      Profile for colt     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NAL:
It seems unfair to me to blame Carnival for
many of the short-comings of the QE2. It has
been my experience that the problems began
long before Carnival was in the mix. There
are so many ships out there who run circles
around QE2.

NAL--Would be interested in hearing a few of the ships that you consider superior, and briefly why?

Posts: 293 | From: Lisbon, Maryland, USA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 01-09-2001 02:11 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
colt.....here are a few that I feel to a
finer job:

Rotterdam VI - superior service, superior
food, superior staterooms
over-all
Vistafjord - with one of the better cabins,
a better experience food and
service wise.
Oriana
Aurora - I have not cruised either, but I
trust friends who have and they
overwhelmingly prefer them over QE2.
Crystal Harmony - Although I think this ship
is overpriced, the overall
experience is better than
QE2's.
Oddly, I still like QE2, especially on a
crossing. I still feel she is way overpriced
and a far cry from the above. I wish you
could have experienced Swedish-American Line
in its day....late 60's and early 70's.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 01-09-2001 07:19 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NAL - I'm in complete agreement with you regarding superior service, food and staterooms/cabins on the Rotterdam V1 and other HAL ships.
On the QE2 many of the staterooms/cabins which 'qualify' for Caronia dining (considered 'up scale') are outdated, badly furnished and poorly designed - a designated outside twin, with no table and only one chair is hardly conducive to an enjoyable breakfast (or any other meal!) - much touted room service therefore becomes a joke! The QE2 is way overpriced for what is provided.
Never having sailed P&O or Crystal, I can't comment.
A P&O cruise is gaining ground on our 'want to do' list.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.