- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Tom & Mary Milano's Millennium Review (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Tom & Mary Milano's Millennium Review
Tom & Mary Milano
Just Boarded
Member # 1911

posted 04-16-2001 10:16 AM      Profile for Tom & Mary Milano   Email Tom & Mary Milano   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We just posted our Millennium review on our page; http://www.cruisereviews.com/TomandMaryMilano.htm we would be glad to answer any questions you might have, especially from first time cruisers.

Our warm regards,
Tom & Mary

Posts: 5 | From: New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
hallover
Just Boarded
Member # 1914

posted 04-17-2001 10:44 PM      Profile for hallover   Email hallover   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your review of the Millennium is astonishing!It sounds as though the two of you are being paid by Celebrity to do this review on the internet. I rode on the Millennium on its Jan 14th cruise to the Western Caribbean.This was one of the worst crusies I have been on. I rode the Century last year and it was quite enjoyable. This cruise was "bad"! The food in the dining room was ok, but nothing exceptional. The tables in the lower dining room were so close together the waiters were continually bumping into your back as they tried to negotiate their way between tables. The Olympic Restaurant was a joke. What is decribed as as a leisurely 5 course meal in reality is three courses and served as rapidly as possible. The $25.00 per person surcharge is astonishing, considering such other cruise lines such as Crystal, & Holland America charge nothing extra for the pivelege of eating in their alternative restaurants.I am also retired and cruise 6 - 10 times a year. Our only difference is I am hired by cruise lines to critque their operation or one of their competitors and write a comprehensive report on what we objectively observed during the cruise.
Posts: 7 | From: Asheville, NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
other paul
First Class Passenger
Member # 1790

posted 04-18-2001 05:30 PM      Profile for other paul   Email other paul   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never "rode" on a cruise ship and I don't know any cruise enthusiast that has. I have cruised on Celebrity ships 9 times and the review by the Milanos is pretty much the experience I have had on all of them. I, however, am not so free with my tips. But they gave me some great ideas. I am in my late thirties and enjoy the cruises because they are a treat. I guess someone that must critique every cruise might not look for a good experience. What company would possibly send someone to "ride" a cruise ship anyway?

Other Paul

[This message has been edited by JulPau9 (edited 04-18-2001).]

Posts: 11 | From: Southwest Florida | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 04-18-2001 07:09 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I started to read their review on the Millenium and found it far too long so I gave up. Too much pre-cruise stuff that was not about the ship but about their TA, etc.,

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 04-19-2001 02:07 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't finish the Millennium story either - too long - and switched over to the Zaandam review.

It's unfortunate that you did not check her review on this forum 'Cruise Reviews by Cruise Line' - the disappointments you experienced are all mentioned.

There was a great deal of hoop-la about the Zaandam being geared (at least in it's inaugural season) to the 'younger generation' - a good reason for 'mature' travellers to sit back, watch and wait. Sometimes that 'great deal' is not so great.

HAL is our favourite Line but we haven't sailed the Zaandam yet - one day.

Happy cruisin'

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
KansasK
First Class Passenger
Member # 1758

posted 04-20-2001 07:39 PM      Profile for KansasK   Email KansasK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed your review, Tom and Mary. You obviously had a wonderful time and your review with much detail may have been long, but was well worth reading. Thanks for posting!
Posts: 126 | From: Overland Park, Kansas USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 04-21-2001 08:53 AM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The style is not to my liking. Thanks anyway.
Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 04-22-2001 04:19 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have said that this type of report is not to my liking.So that the authors may understand,I feel that I should explain why.

I found the report verbose with a lot of peripheral information that was of no interest. For this reason it lost my attention very quickly.

I would suggest that things like age and past job history and the like are unfortunately of no interest to the person reading a cruise review.

Also, precision and brevity in the wording helps. This is my opinion. Others will probably disagee and care to comment.

[This message has been edited by topgun (edited 04-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by topgun (edited 04-22-2001).]

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
bmajor
First Class Passenger
Member # 1754

posted 04-22-2001 05:00 PM      Profile for bmajor   Email bmajor   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I gave up after the first ten long paragraphs. They hadn't even embarked at that stage!!
Posts: 1371 | From: Orewa.New Zealand. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
KansasK
First Class Passenger
Member # 1758

posted 04-22-2001 05:41 PM      Profile for KansasK   Email KansasK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Reading this post would cause me to pause before posting a cruise review. What a welcome for someone 'just boarded!'
Posts: 126 | From: Overland Park, Kansas USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 06-06-2001 11:02 AM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tom and Mary are now so well known and they announce the next ship they will be reviewing well in advance so the cruise line knows they are coming and treats them accordingly. Note they are always guests at the Captain's table. How valid would a restaurant review be if the they knew they were serving a critic who will write a lengthy review? Their reviews are very predictable.
Posts: 324 | From: Commack, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 06-06-2001 10:05 PM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read a couple of the reviews and they certainly sounded like paid advertisements. I must admit that either they didn't get much from Carnival for their review of the Imagination or they were on a different ship than I was on a few years ago.

Callmelateforanythingbutnotforacruise.

Peter

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
CB
First Class Passenger
Member # 58

posted 06-06-2001 11:36 PM      Profile for CB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I, too, have not been able to read their reviews. Too much verbage. Need to be more succinct.
Posts: 109 | From: Arlington, TX, USA | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
bmajor
First Class Passenger
Member # 1754

posted 06-07-2001 04:46 AM      Profile for bmajor   Email bmajor   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right on CB....You've told it like it is!!...
Posts: 1371 | From: Orewa.New Zealand. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
thulewx
First Class Passenger
Member # 1907

posted 06-07-2001 05:55 AM      Profile for thulewx   Email thulewx   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also felt it was too long, but that's their right - if it's too long for you, don't read it.
By the way, Tom, there is no "N" in restaurateur. The secondary usage word is spelled "restauranter," no second "U."

Posts: 140 | From: Unadilla, Georgia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Darrell
First Class Passenger
Member # 113

posted 06-12-2001 04:50 PM      Profile for Darrell   Email Darrell   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My goodness... poor Mary and Tom.. little did they know they were going to be thrown to the sharks when they posted their review.

I find that I too have a problem with being "wordy" and excessive in detail. However, (most of you should understand this).... I also get very excited when "reviewing" or telling about my cruises, and wish to include every detail that made it memorable for me. Is it really necessary to be so critical of Tom and Mary when they are doing a service to others who may have an interest in the smallest of details? One of the wonders of the Internet, is we can all publish our thoughts, fascinations, and let downs for others to take with a grain of salt. I must say, I am quite shocked at the tone taken at them. This is great for people who have never taken a cruise to read, it is also informative for those of us who are fortunate to step foot on-board any ship. As some may have pointed out that the review is "not their taste", that is a valid point, but why criticize Tom and Mary publicly... just don't read the review.
One last point. I find it very tasteless to use this forum, or any forum, to publicly correct someone’s grammar or spelling. That is just irrelevant.

Please, allow Tom and Mary to continue to enlighten those who wish to share in their excitement on the seas.

Posts: 78 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 06-12-2001 06:22 PM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
However Darrell, theirs is a one way review. No place for rebuttel if your experiences run contratry to their views. This is the forum where everyone can express their viewpoints. Pro or Con.

Abiggerpictureisbetter.

Peter

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 06-12-2001 06:32 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I tried to read this review again and found that "Voyager" had been added.

I came to the same conclusions as earlier noted.

Concerning the last posting on this thread,I do agree that the internet and this forum does allow for almost total freedom of speech.

It also allows us to criticize if we see fit. We do not force anybody to read our observations.

Putting all else aside, I am really irked by the recommended practice of handing out folded $2.00 bills to service staff at the beginning of a cruise. We had table companions who did this a few years ago.

Service personnel are sometimes made to grovel and act like trained seals, lets try and treat them as human beings and not denigrate them by using Pavlovian practices.

K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 06-13-2001 11:13 AM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Darrell: When most of us write a review we post it in the reader review section. I believe Tom and Mary posted their review on the cruise talk section for a reason and everyone posting here including you are just giving what they wanted a review of their review.
while I am here I think that someone that has to buy their way through life
(with $2.00 bills) says something about their inner self. Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Darrell
First Class Passenger
Member # 113

posted 06-13-2001 02:52 PM      Profile for Darrell   Email Darrell   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a quick one..., not to ruffle anyones feathers. I also know the consequences of being wordy, my point was somewhat lost. That point is, my posting was directed at the critique of Mary and Tom's writing and reviewing technique. I made no mention of my opinion on their "tipping" practices, etc. Only that I found their review to be thorough, somewhat charming, and great for those who have never cruised and are wondering what the on-board experience "could" be like.

But speaking of free speech and opinion.. This tiping thing. I do have a problem with tipping.. It has become common place in America to tip for just about all services, regardless of quality. This is really sad. I find it horrible the way service personel in this country "expect" a tip. I am so thrilled with tipping while in most European countries. I found it refreshing to be somewhere the bartenders or waiters didn't expect a tip. They found it truly as a reward for good service when an individual gave them a tip, saying "it is not necessary". I find that tipping prior only lesses the possibility that others will receive good service. Isn't this the fear of most Americans when the cruise line automatically includes the tips (NCL) on the cabin bill upon sailing. Would everyone on a ship receive exceptional services if everyone was giving out $2 bills? Probably not. I think there is a certain level of service expected on different cruise lines. When an individual doesn't meet those standards, speaking those in charge usually improves service. I have used tips for those who really go beyond the call of duty on a sigular occasion before a cruise was over, but would not make it a habit to tip everyone "a down payment" in advance for my expectation of what their job is. There I go again, lengthy explaination.... LOL.
Anyway, I hope that some have enjoyed reading Tom and Mary's review. I found it to be very informative on how some really make the most of their cruise experience in their own way. And I didn't even make mention of any grammar or spelling corrections. (I'm sure mine could use some editing, as these are just my thoughts typed, not a Nobel Prize winner) (that whole spelling thing really rubbed me wrong, totally uncalled for).

Posts: 78 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 06-13-2001 04:35 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This topic has now diverged to service persons and I would like to show another side of the story, and how these people can stand up for themselves.

A few years ago, I visited London with a Canadian business associate.

Most off all, he wanted to visit a pub and have a serving of shepherds pie.

In this pub, off Picadilly it came to our turn at the buffet to be served. My colleague was served a portion that was not to his liking and ordered the server to replace it with another. The young lady refused.

The owner was called, and in addition to hearing the complaint, also spoke with the waitress for her views.

In essence, the owners decision was that he did'nt care if we came from Timbuctoo. My associate had spoken rudely to his staff and we were to leave the establishment immediately. Nothing would be served to us.

One up for the Brits. Two dollar bills would not work here. Howdat!!!!!

By the way, I did nuffing wrong but was thrown out of the pub anyway.

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: topgun ]

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 06-13-2001 05:00 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What Tom and Mary did with the $2 bills can hardly be considered tipping - more like bribery I'd say.

Interesting too is the fact that they do not appear to reply to any questions asked on this forum - at least I've never noticed any.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 06-14-2001 04:16 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green, you make a good point about the lack of any further input from the Milanos.

To cover the base, I sent an Email to them today alerting them to the wide range of reactions that have been posted.

Maybe we'll get a dialog.

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 06-14-2001 07:02 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I saw the bit about the $2 I had a good chuckle just trying to imagine what the thoughts of the recipients were. I wonder if we'd get one too, if we were tablemates?
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
KansasK
First Class Passenger
Member # 1758

posted 06-15-2001 12:31 PM      Profile for KansasK   Email KansasK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Darrell. This topic took on a tone that was harsher than I've ever seen for any other review that was posted. For some reason, this topic took on a strange life of its own. I hope I am as happy as Tom and Mary appear to be when I am their age and I hope I am still cruising, too!

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.