- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » SOVIET SHIPS (BLASCO, DANUBE, etc)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SOVIET SHIPS (BLASCO, DANUBE, etc)
flotsam'n jetsam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2712

posted 01-14-2002 06:21 PM      Profile for flotsam'n jetsam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dear ship enthusiasts;

I just became a member of this list, looking for information on the current status of M.S. Odessa. Reading the past posts about ex Soviet vessels left me breathless. Coming here about a month ago would have saved me quite a bit of time spent researching the current status of many older Soviet vessels. Patrick Wetter was especially useful (what is happening with M.S. Odessa nowadays Patrick?).

Anyway, this is to announce a new webpage Flotsam'n Jetsam: A Very Personal Ship Database at http://thayer.dartmouth.edu/~abilgili/Ships/index.htm. It is to replace my old site at http://nemo.unh.edu/aqualung/ships.htm, which will be offline in time. The new one contains about 15 vessels now, mostly BLASCO, but it is updated pretty much on a daily basis. Many more vessels (passenger & cargo) from all over the world that I interacted in the past will be added. I will keep it short and easy to update to keep it on the web as long as possible. Please visit and let me know any errors, updated info, etc...

Being a shipping enthusiast for the past 30 years and growing up in Istanbul, Turkey in the 70's and 80's, I am pretty attached to the ships of BLASCO and that's why they're the first ones in the database.

Talk to you later.

ata

Posts: 121 | From: New Hampshire, USA. (Originally Istanbul, Turkey) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 01-15-2002 09:49 AM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
flotsam'n jetsam, the ODESSA is in Harbour of Naples, Italy since Spring 1995.

She is rusting more and more.

In Spring 1995 she was under Charter of the German Company TRANSOCEAN, Bremen, which has nowadays the ASTOR and starting in March the ASTORIA, the former ARKONA. The Ukrainean Company which ownes the Odessa at that Times had Problems with open Invoices.

So, Italian Customs take her Prisoner and the German Passengers get Flights home. The Cruise was interrupted.

It shows, that nowbody will buy her...

By the Way: Welcome aboard!

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-15-2002 01:20 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amerikanis:
flotsam'n jetsam, the ODESSA is in Harbour of Naples, Italy since Spring 1995.

Am I right in thinking some of the crew are still aboard? I saw a programme last year where the people of Naples collected money for them to buy necessities.
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
flotsam'n jetsam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2712

posted 01-15-2002 02:28 PM      Profile for flotsam'n jetsam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dear PamM;

yes you are right, at least as of August 2001, you were!... And their only transportation to land is by tender, I think!.. Read the following for more info:

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/europe/story.jsp?story=86793

Good cruising.

ata

Posts: 121 | From: New Hampshire, USA. (Originally Istanbul, Turkey) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 01-16-2002 01:31 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello everybody,

I have been onboard the ODESSA lately since we are still looking after this beautiful ship.
Onboard remain 9 crewmembers, a so-called security crew. The ship itself needs a major refurbishment: the hull is rusting at the waterline so it needs a replacement of the major metal-parts in this area. The rest of the hull is in good condition, apart from the color which has to be redone. The engines ran low on fuel two years ago and need a major overhaul. The outside teak-wood-decks made in Italy have to be replaced totally, the ones being refitted in Germany remain in acceptable condition. Inside, the ship is in very good condition. Everything was completely fitted out with new furniture in 1991 and (after only being used for 2 years) is in almost brandnew condition. Reports from people who said that the crew has sold much of the furniture and electronic devices to get money are absolutely wrong. All is onboard ! The crew-area needs refurbishment as well, the kitchen has new equipment which fulfils the USPH standards.
We have calculated a sum of about 25 Million USD for a complete refurbishment and very few changes in the facilities. During the last court, the decision was taken to offer the vessel for 5 Million USD which is already a much more realistic price than the 8 Million USD which were required a year ago.
The ship still has lots of potential and we hope to get her afloat sooner or later.
I can't access to the link mentioned in the first topic. Please advise one because I'd like to check out the BLASCO-database...maybe I have something to add for you...
Thanks.

Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
AJL
First Class Passenger
Member # 956

posted 01-16-2002 02:12 PM      Profile for AJL   Author's Homepage   Email AJL   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello Patrick! Nice to hear from you!

I have a question to you, at the bottom in this link, about the M/S Khabarovsk:

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001843

I'd be very delighted if you had time to answer to my question, or write me a mail at: alindstrom84@hotmail.com

Kindest regards,
AJL

P.S. I don't know why the Ata's BLASCO site doesn't work, it has been down for two days now.

Posts: 710 | From: Helsinki, Finland (birth place of Nokia + many ships) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
flotsam'n jetsam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2712

posted 01-16-2002 02:30 PM      Profile for flotsam'n jetsam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the links guys!... What happens is that the browsers add the the point (first link) and the comma (second link) to the web address and of course the servers says it is not found. I guess we have to add a space after links that we enter before we add any punctuations.

So here they are:

Flotsam'n Jetsam

Ata's Shiplovers' Page

Hope this works.

ata

Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 01-16-2002 02:31 PM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello, Patrick.
Will there are Offers in 2002 for the PALOMA/PALMIRA?

I make my next Cruise in March with the ASTOR and would have Time for an Second in late Summer/Autumn.

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-16-2002 05:36 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Reports from people who said that the crew has sold much of the furniture and electronic devices to get money are absolutely wrong. All is onboard !

The link above to The Independent report last year, states that the crew were all very proud that not even a cup had gone missing. But it did say some of the chairs were a bit mouldy. I hope if she does get bought and has another life, those crew get all their back pay.

Pam

Marcia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1198

posted 01-16-2002 05:53 PM      Profile for Marcia   Email Marcia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a question. Some years ago (1994) we were on a cruise on the St. Lawrence Seaway on the MV Gruzia (Odessa American Cruise Line). Then in 1996 we were on the Splendor of the Seas and stopped at Naples and we saw a ship we thought was the Gruzia there. We were told she was not able to pay the port taxes and they detained her. Is the same ship???
Posts: 101 | From: Hamilton, Oh. U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
flotsam'n jetsam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2712

posted 01-16-2002 06:04 PM      Profile for flotsam'n jetsam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Marcia;

check out

MF GRUZIYA

later,

ata

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-16-2002 06:46 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by flotsam'n jetsam:

MF GRUZIYA

Malcolm are you reading? There's your Van Gogh chartered to Travelscope/Warners!

Pam

Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 01-17-2002 11:00 AM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
AJL, the KHABAROVSK was built in 1961 for FESCO, Vladivostok. She was later transfered to the sister-company Pacific Cruise Company and became the SOUNDS OF ORIENTS. She was scrapped in 1992. Reports that the sistership GRIGORIY ORDZHONIKIDZE became the SOUNDS OF ORIENTS instead of the KHABAROVSK were wrong. So the KHABAROVSK doesn't exist any longer.

Ata, your website is well done and very well reserched. You mention many interesting information and pictures. Just few details:
PALMIRA was sold in June 2001 to Abcus Shipping Ltd. to be operated by Mano Maritime Ltd. on the Odessa-Haifa route like the sistership IRIS. The manager Winfried Fiala of the former owning company PSM Shipmanagement in Switzerland died and the family didn't want to keep the passengerships even if they sailed successfully. Currently the ship is not used since Mano didn't get enough passengers. But they are negitiating with Hansa Touristik about a charter to have her back on the German market for cruises. Hansa Touristik had chartered the PALOMA which was sold in September 2001 to Di Maio & Partners but since the first charter-rate wasn't paid, the PALOMA was sold to Chinese interests. Therefore Hansa has no ship available right now, even though programs were already fixed for 2002 and brochures were published. Instead the PALIMRA might be the welcoming replacement since she is well known already in Germany.
I hope that definite schedules can be fixed soon.

Marcia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1198

posted 01-18-2002 09:37 AM      Profile for Marcia   Email Marcia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank You for the info. I did not realize that the Gruzia became the Van Gogh. When we were on her in 1994 she was in pretty bad shape. We kept laughing when walking on deck that if you had dropped anything it would have rolled off the Port side. She had a very noticible list. It was a very good cruise because of the ports, but lots of French speaking passengers and the crew could just get by with English. Our very young, very nice waitress would smile and say O.K., but you figured out very quickly to point to the food on the menu as you told her and she would get it, but don't bother to try to ask for anything special. She just couldn't do it. I do like to keep track of the ships we have been on.
Posts: 101 | From: Hamilton, Oh. U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
AJL
First Class Passenger
Member # 956

posted 01-18-2002 02:53 PM      Profile for AJL   Author's Homepage   Email AJL   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you once again for the interesting information Patrick!

I appreciate it!

Regards,
AJL

Posts: 710 | From: Helsinki, Finland (birth place of Nokia + many ships) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 01-19-2002 11:21 AM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NEWS: PALOMA will stay on the German market for the next years. The deal with the Chinese company was finally cancelled and Hansa Touristik agreed and signed a contract for being GSA of PALOMA in Germany for the following 5 years. All published brochures of Hansa Touristik and other German operators featuring PALOMA will be kept with the scheduled itineraries.
Amerikanis, you can go ahead for your autumn-cruise. I'll be glad to help you further in this matter if you like.

flotsam'n jetsam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2712

posted 01-20-2002 01:33 PM      Profile for flotsam'n jetsam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Patrick. I will update the Paloma/Palmira info asap.

On another note, any idea what happened to the following ladies: Litva, Latvia, Adzharia, Abkhazia, Sovetskiy Soyuz (ex Hansa, 1923), Rossia and Pobeda?

Later,

ata

Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 01-21-2002 02:04 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LITVA: became the ODESSA DREAM, BOGUCHAR and FU JIAN before being scrapped in 1995.
LATVIYA: scrapped in 1995
ADZHARIYA: scrapped in 1996
ABKHAZIA of 1927: bombed by Torpedo in Sewastopol and sank on 10th June 1942
ADZHARIYA of 1927: renamed ADZHARISTAN later, sank on 23rd July 1941 in Odessa also after being bombed.
SOVETSKIY SOYZ: retired on 05th December 1980 after long service for FESCO, and school for jung seamen; the ship was scrapped.
POBEDA: retired in 1977. Scrapped in 1st Quater of 1978 in Pakistan.
ROSSIYA: was renamed ANIVA in 1985 and left Singapoore on 21st November 1985 for the last turn and stoppoed at Kure (Japan) for scrapping. It took more than a year until scrapping started since she was still registerated in Llyd's register in 1986.

SEAWIND CROWN
Just Boarded
Member # 1591

posted 01-22-2002 04:55 PM      Profile for SEAWIND CROWN   Email SEAWIND CROWN   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm very interested to know any details what happened to the following Mikhail Kalinin's siters: Excelsior Mercury (ex Maria Ilyanova), Grigoriy Ordzhonikidze, Vatslav Vorovskiy, Turkmeniya, Nikolaievsk and Baikal?
Posts: 7 | From: COSLADA, MADRID, SPAIN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 01-24-2002 05:27 AM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
EXCELSIOR MERCURY: scrapped in 1993
GROGORIY ORZHONIKIDZE: scrapped in 1992
VATSLAV VOROVSKIY: scrapped in 1992
TURKMENIYA: scrapped in 1997
NIKOLAYEVSK: owned by Kamchatka Shipping Co., laid up
BAYKAL: owned by Far Eastern Shipping Co., laid up

flotsam'n jetsam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2712

posted 04-25-2002 03:42 PM      Profile for flotsam'n jetsam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Patrick and everyone else too;

I need information on the histories of the following vessels. I know quite a bit about them, later names and fates but detailed info (owners, dates, etc...) would be helpful for the Soviet Ships webpage that I am keeping:

Ivan Franko
Abkhazia of 1970's-80's
Litva
Latvia
Rossiya
Pobeda

Thank you.

ata

Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 04-26-2002 11:14 AM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
flotsam'n jetsam, IVAN FRANCO is scrapped. It is the oldest of the so called "Ivan Franco Series".

MIKHAIL LERMONTOV sunk in New Zealand.

ALEKSANDR PUSKIN is now MARCO POLO of ORIENT LINES.

SHOTA RUSTAVELI and TARAS SHEVCHENKO: One is now the ASSEDO, this is Odessa from right to left written.

I think, it is the Taras, but i am not sure. The other may be layed off or scrapped, i do not know.

The others of your List, i do not know yet. It is possible, i found something in my Magazines. Then i will post it here.

Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 04-26-2002 01:29 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello Ata, hello everybody else,

The IVAN FRANKO was renamed in FRANK in 1997 prior sailing to Aliaga for scrapping. Due to an incident (the ship took water) in the port of Ilychevsk, BLASCO decided to sell her for scrap.
The LITVA which was owned by BLASCO once was supposed to be transfered to Odessa Sun Ltd. based in Malta and renamed ODESSA DREAM (like her sister ODESSA SUN). But it wasn't realized and the ship instead remained with BLASCO. In 1994 she changed name into BOGUCHAR for service between Istanbul and Odessa but since this did not turn into a successfull operation with this already old vessel, the ship was sold for scrap in 1995.
The LATVIYA of Baltic Shipping Company in St. Petersburg remained in the ownership until being replaced by newer units. The result was also scrapping in 1992.
The ABKHAZIYA is one of a series of 11 expedition-vessels built by MTW yards in Germany for Far Eastern Shipping Co.. Unfortunately it is not so easy to find back her way through the history but most of these vessels remain in ownership of Russian scientist-companies. Her sister AKADEMIK VERNADSKIY for example is now Vival Marine's GLORIYA which comes sometimes to Istanbul too.
The ROSSIYA was build in 1938 at Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg-Finkenwerder as the PATRIA for Hamburg-Amerika-Linie. Between 1940 and 1942 she was laid up in Stettin as a home-ship and Electricity-provider. Later on she was moved to Flensburg. There she was used as the location or office of the German government under Admiral Dönitz. In July 1945 the ship was taken by the british military and renamed EMPIRE WELLAND. She became a troop-carrier after a rebuilt at Harland & Wolff in Belfast. In 1946 it was already sold to the Soviet Union and was renamed ROSSIYA, often used by BLASCO between Havanna and Odessa. In 1985 renamed ANIVA and sold for scrap to Japan.
The POBEDA was build in 1928 as MAGDALENA at Schichau GmbH in Gdansk for Hamburg-Atlantik-Linie. In 1935, HAPAG used the ship with only one funnel left as the IBERIA. During the 2nd world war she was used as a home-ship and in 1946 she was sold to the Soviet Union and renamed POBEDA. A fire broke out in 1948 between New York and Batumi which caused a major repairing of the ship.
Later on she was one of the most popular ships of the Soviet fleet. In Mai 1956 she did the first cruise from Odessa to Leningrad and was the first ship to provided a new form of holiday for Soviet tourists which could see 5 different countries like this.In 1977 she performed her last cruise and she was scrapped in Pakistan in 1978.

Another thing: The ASSEDO is the former SHOTA RUSTAVELI, currently laid up in Sevastopol. the ship is placed for sale.
TARAS SHEVCHENKO has been aquired by Antarctica Shipping and if the Odessa supreme court does not decide differently, the ship will be in their ownership and will be ready to sail soon. Refurbishment-works are being done already since autonm last yaer.
There are news about the ODESSA as well but I can't publish them yet. But I'll let you know soon.

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-26-2002 02:09 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Ata, an outstanding website. By the way, I was in Istanbul in 2000 and enjoyed it very thoroughly.

Happy Cruising,
CruiseNY

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
flotsam'n jetsam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2712

posted 05-15-2002 04:10 PM      Profile for flotsam'n jetsam   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
West Coast Sailors of San Francisco, CA, announced that Litva of BLASCO is not scrapped after all. She got trapped off Angola as the Green Coast of Fujian Shipping with 30 Chinese sailors trapped on board. Supposedly, the ship was supposed to undergo conversion into a floating hotel.

Now what about that !!!

Names: Litva, Boguchar, Fujian, Green Coast...

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.