- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation announced financial results for the second quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for third quarter 2024. "We have made incredible strides in improving our commercial operations, strategically reallocating our portfolio composition and formulating growth plans, while strengthening even further...

Latest News...Oceania Cruises is offering the industry's most unique and extraordinary itineraries to explore the breathtaking region of Polynesia in 2025, taking travelers to discover boutique and off-the-beaten-path islands from the comfort of the line's small, luxurious ships. The 2025 season in the South Pacific will be Oceania Cruises' most expansive to date, with their elegant ships Nautica and Regatta...

Latest News...Sailing from Singapore in 2025, the one-of-a-kind Disney Adventure will offer families throughout the region the ultimate vacation at sea. The first Disney Cruise Line ship to homeport in Asia will be a destination itself, sailing on three- and four-night voyages designed with magical days at sea and filled with immersive storytelling and captivating entertainment like only Disney...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Who Will Christen QM2?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who Will Christen QM2?
empressport
First Class Passenger
Member # 2511

posted 02-08-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for empressport     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has Cunard announced who will christen QM2? The past three queens were christened by their namesake, but obviously this cannot apply (thanks to Carnival going for faux history, rather than follow past tradition).

Would a member of the Royal Family even consent to christen the ship, since it is being built in France? Not too mention the fact that there is no longer much British about Cunard.

Posts: 464 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-08-2003 01:04 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually the QE2 was not named after Queen Elizabeth II. In fact it wasn't even supposed to be named the QE2, just the "Queen Elizabeth", but the Queen said "2" during the Christening and so it stuck.

CGT

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 02-08-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
me!!...jeff....i wish!!.....
Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
PBryn
Just Boarded
Member # 3654

posted 02-08-2003 10:02 PM      Profile for PBryn   Email PBryn   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was correctly stated that the QE2 was named after the original Queen, not Queen Elizabeth II.

You have to admit Carnival's doing pretty well all in all - look at the QE2 now. She's in better shape than she was before, and so is Cunard in general. QM2 would not exist without Micky's backing, and Cunard would likely be on the way out.

Don't attack Carnival so quickly...

Posts: 5 | From: Webb Institute, NY | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
miami cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 3117

posted 02-09-2003 02:05 AM      Profile for miami cruiser   Email miami cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II christened P&O Cruises Oriana just a few years ago if I remember correctly. The Cunard QM2 will more than likely be christened by a member of the Royal family and it would not surprise me if it was Queen Elizabeth II that does the honors. She would probably make maritime history as the first Queen to name two Queens. It will after all be a British ship, the largest, longest, and most expensive liner of all time and the amount of press that this ship has and will continue to receive almost makes a Royal christening a given. If for some reason this doesn't happen then there is always Madonna. She wouldn't have to travel too far and she has been working on her new British accent!!!
(ok just kidding...and Madonna, if your reading this, no offence meant!)

Posts: 158 | From: Miami | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-09-2003 04:14 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our Queen seems most likely? If it is, the date must be in her diary by now?

Anyone sneaked a peak at her diary?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
cabinclass
First Class Passenger
Member # 3600

posted 02-09-2003 09:39 AM      Profile for cabinclass     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Camilla Parker-Bowles?
Posts: 11 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 02-09-2003 09:46 AM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quite frankly, I would like ot see Prince William christian the ship. A symbol of the dawning of a new age for Britain and Cunard.
Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SydneyBoy
First Class Passenger
Member # 2543

posted 02-09-2003 07:36 PM      Profile for SydneyBoy   Email SydneyBoy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Miami Cruiser:
quote:
It will after all be a British ship

Just wondering will the official currency onboard be Pounds Sterling?

Built by the french, owned and paid for by Americans, and working for an American Company? Guess a ship cant get more British than that!

While it would be nice to see Queen Elizabeth II do the honours and pretend that its a symbol of British National Pride as QE2 was, the fact is Carnivals just a big American company out to make $$$ and are playing on Cunards History and Heritage to do it because they have none of their own! i think Mrs Bush is more at Carnivals level

Posts: 180 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
miami cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 3117

posted 02-09-2003 11:48 PM      Profile for miami cruiser   Email miami cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The last time I checked, if a ship is British registered, flies the British flag, and has a British Captain & officers, that would make it a British ship, no matter if she was built in France or on the Moon and no matter who paid for it, Americans, Algerians or Australians. SydneyBoy, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
By the way, just curious, are there any Australian registered cruise ships sailing or a Australian owned cruise line? For some reason none come to mind which is strange, being that Australia is a continent surrounded by water, and was mainly popluated by immigrants who travelled there by ship. Perhaps if a new Australian cruise ship is is ever built Mrs. Bush would be happy to throw a bottle at it.

Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 02-10-2003 01:46 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think Cunard is more "British" than many of us realize. Pamela Conover, Cunard Line Ltd.'s President and COO moved her offices to Southampton rather recently, and Cunard's fleet personnell department is still located in England. And, of course, QE2/Caronia/QM2/New Cunarder are/will be British flagged.

I am SOOO sick of Carnival bashing, they are a sucessful company because they give the public what the public WANTS. Fun Ship cruising may not be popular with Australians or traditionalists, but it IS popular with its intended market- Americans. And they are what supplied the money to resuce a British icon.
BTW, SydneyBoy, since you hate Carnival and Americans so much, I guess you'll have to stop sailing on Pacific Sky now the P&O is Carnival.

Posts: 944 | From: Philadelphia, USA- former home of International Merchantile and Marine Co. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SydneyBoy
First Class Passenger
Member # 2543

posted 02-10-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for SydneyBoy   Email SydneyBoy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ouch! I got my scawlding for that one didnt I! Carnival Bashing, Hating Americans?? I said nothing of the sort, i was simply asking a question (which nobaody answered because i suspect the onboard currency shall be $US) and stating some facts.

quote:
The last time I checked, if a ship is British registered, flies the British flag, and has a British Captain & officers, that would make it a British ship, no matter if she was built in France or on the Moon and no matter who paid for it, Americans, Algerians or Australians. SydneyBoy, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. -Miami cruiser

If we go by this analagy can you tell me what nationality Pacific Sky is? as she is registered in London Flies the British and Australian Flags, has an Australian Captain and Italian Officers....

quote:
By the way, just curious, are there any Australian registered cruise ships sailing or a Australian owned cruise line? For some reason none come to mind which is strange, being that Australia is a continent surrounded by water, and was mainly popluated by immigrants who travelled there by ship. Perhaps if a new Australian cruise ship is is ever built Mrs. Bush would be happy to throw a bottle at it. -Miami cruiser

Actually yes, if your really interested, I know of one Australian Cruise Line, Captain Cook Cruises (www.captaincook.com.au) who have ships in Australia and Fiji. Other than ship repair/engineering facilities and medium sized boat building we dont have the industry nor facilities to build liners here nor is their the demand in this part of the world, and although we are an island immigrants gennerally came here obviously with their journeys beginning in other parts of the world and that is where the lines woud have based themselves, there was never enough demand to warrant a company solely based in Australia to operate overseas as we were so well served by international lines and still today only have a population of 20 million.

quote:
BTW, SydneyBoy, since you hate Carnival and Americans so much, I guess you'll have to stop sailing on Pacific Sky now the P&O is Carnival. -Britanis

Carnival dont own it yet! I believe its yet to go to the PO Princess shareholders, who if were smart will block the deal. However should they get their hands on it and the rest of P&O I shall have no choice but to sail with them. I just hope that in that event they leave the Australian operations alone as currently its managed and run by Australians and is hugely succesful, but they will probably send their old Holiday Blocks down our way (CRINGE!)

By the way, I dont hate Carnival as a company, I admit they are very successful, however most of their success has not come through being a cruiseline themselves, they are more like an investment company, buying out other succesful cruiselines to exploit and create a monopoly! And it is this irresponsible behaviour of which i do not approve, i dont think anyone could succesfully argue that with P&O Princess Carnival will not be simply to big! Holding 50% of a market in any industry is dangerous, and knowing Carnivals track record their shopping spree is not over, they will buy others, and one day we will all be able to cruise with any line we want and our dollars will go to Carnival Corp.

There is no sinlge better thing for consumers than competition, for providing choice, variety, value and good service, however if Carnival have their way the only competition in the cruise industry will be between their own ships and brands, in which case we can all cruise with whoever we want, as long as its Carnival!

SO anyone know what the currency onboard QM2 will be.....

Posts: 180 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
miami cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 3117

posted 02-11-2003 12:50 AM      Profile for miami cruiser   Email miami cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SydneyBoy, I had forgotten about Captain Cook Cruises. They don't seem to get too much publicity here but I do remember getting one of their brochures several years ago. I'm just surprised that a group of Australian investers has not formed a line, even a if with just one ship, to market out of Australia and give P&O some competition. I do remember the Norwegian Capricorn joint venture a few years ago but with NCL involved during their financial difficult years and using a ship they had pretty much worn out (it had many mechanical problems prior to heading for Sydney), it may have been doomed to failure from the very beginning.
As for Pacific Sky flying both the British flag and the Australian flag that seems unique. I know ss Norway flies both the Bahamas flag and the United Nations flag, but she is registered in the Bahamas so I still think technically that makes her a Bahamain vessel even if she sails for Norwegian Cruise Lines and was for years the flagship of the Norwegian Merchant Marine.
I still think the QM2 will be a British ship regardless of her country of berth or the currency used to pay for it. As for the currency used onboard my guess is that it will be the same as on the QE2 and be American currency. This is probably due to the high percentage of the passengers taking the Transatlantic crossings are American. I have read that the Caronia and the new Cunarder in 2005 will use British currency as they will mostly sail out of Southampton and are/will be marketed to the growing British cruise market.

CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-11-2003 02:57 AM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe that currency aboard the QE2, while US$ on crossings, is Pounds Sterling when she does cruises out of Southampton.

I think people mainly bash the Carnival Line rather than the Carnival Corporation.

A ship is the nationality of whatever flag it flies. QM2 will be British, as its homeport will be Southampton and it will be flying the British red ensign. If a ship flies the British red ensign, it is either British or British territorial. For instance, Princess ships are registered some in Britian and some in Bermuda (with the Bermuda registered ships having official homeports of Hamilton). However, they all fly the British red ensign as the Bermudan registry is affiliated with the British registry. In essence any ship that flies the British red ensign is a British ship.

CGT

P.S. The "new" Pacific Princess and Tahitian Princess ships are registered in Gibraltar. They also fly the British red ensign.

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: CGT ]

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
empressport
First Class Passenger
Member # 2511

posted 02-11-2003 09:56 AM      Profile for empressport     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My original thought was that previous "queen" ships had been launched by Queens sharing the same Christian name. As there is no current Queen Mary, Cunard is breaking that tradition.

Of course Queen Elizabeth has launched other ships (ie. Empress of Britain III), but I believe this would be the first not built in the U.K? So, if she launches the ship it will not be as a support of British industry, as in the past. Instead it would become just a "celebrity" launch.

Posts: 464 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 02-11-2003 01:19 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SydneyBoy, I apologize if my remarks were seen as offensive, I did not mean them in that way.

It just seems to me that much of the apparant anger towards Carnival Corp. on this board has been due to it being percieved as an "American" company. I wonder if there would be as much opposition, if, for example, Carnival were French or Italian based? Carnival has pursued a highly sucessful growth program that has made them the biggest and most profitable cruise company in the world, and I applaud them for their success, but I hope they take a break from buying for a while to let the whole P&O Princess merger settle in. It isn't really a monopoly, as cruise lines compete not only with each other, but with shoreside resorts and attractions as well. The average person who has never cruised before will usually include national parks, Disney World, foreign countries, etc. in vacation plans in addition to cruising.

If cruise lines cease to offer a quality product at competetive prices, passengers will, as Amerikanis says, "vote with their feet".

As for the Queen christening QM2, I really don't see much of a conflict, many countries have had foreign-built national flagships in the past, the UK just wasn't usually one of them. The USA had Leviathan in the 20's & 30's, Britain had Majestic, for a span of one year, the British-built Amerika was Germany's flagship. In the early 20th century, almost all Holland America liners were British built. Greece has always had foregin-built merchant ships- even the likes of Queen Anna Maria and Queen Frederica were built overseas. Nationality of construction doesn't really matter- it's the flag state that's important. Whew! This post is way too long!

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: Britanis ]

Posts: 944 | From: Philadelphia, USA- former home of International Merchantile and Marine Co. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
PattiR
Just Boarded
Member # 3664

posted 02-14-2003 12:56 PM      Profile for PattiR     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Did anyone know that the intended name for the Queen Mary was the Queen Victoria. The story goes that the then chairman of P&O asked King George V if he and his wife(Queen Mary) would name the new ship after the greatest Queen Great Britain had ever had - before the chairman could say the name Queen Victoria, King George said "that's wonderful, my wife will be so delighted to have a ship named after her!" End of story.
Posts: 3 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Princess_Di
Just Boarded
Member # 3534

posted 02-25-2003 05:51 AM      Profile for Princess_Di   Author's Homepage   Email Princess_Di   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dear SYD:
Even though the first visitors to Oz were prisoners, they did a fair dinkum job of building all the wonderful old heritage structures that we enjoy. No one has EVER answered your question, and I know the answer. All ships carry currencies for all ports that are visited on that itinerary. The biggest revenue comes from the casinos and therefore all different currencies are required. BTW, Carnival is NOT "taking over" P&O. It is called a DLC (Dual-Listed Company) and P&O and Princess will continue to operate independently because they are doing such a good job, and FYI, Princess stock is higher than Carnival stock. The bottom line is not to please pax but to please the stockholders (follow the money). As a resident of the beautiful land of Oz, you know that P&O has a great presence there, in ground operations as well as owning and operating many luxury resorts in Oz.
Fair Winds and Following Seas - Princess Di

Posts: 3 | From: Sunland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-26-2003 10:22 AM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No one has EVER answered your question, and I know the answer. All ships carry currencies for all ports that are visited on that itinerary. The biggest revenue comes from the casinos and therefore all different currencies are required.

This is not the correct answer. There is ONE official currency when on board ship that all purchases in shops, at bars, and other charges are quoted in. The ship may also carry some cash on hand in other currencies (as they do with postage stamps), but the ship only has ONE official currency during any given trip. Whatever that currency is, you will be charged in it.

CGT

titanicsteve
First Class Passenger
Member # 2142

posted 02-26-2003 03:55 PM      Profile for titanicsteve   Email titanicsteve   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd say Prince William will do the honours!
Posts: 510 | From: Ireland (near Titanic birthplace!!) | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.