- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » The Future of NCL

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Future of NCL
Kenns
First Class Passenger
Member # 3700

posted 02-24-2004 05:21 PM      Profile for Kenns   Email Kenns   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
with stars huge loss in profit, what does mean for NCL? Are we gonna see Star cruises begin to sell of some assests, or simply hope for the best in the coming months...also,are they any updates available on the Pride of America and or the two regular NCL ships being built by meyer werft? thanks for any and all info
Posts: 40 | From: westwood massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 02-24-2004 07:39 PM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If Star really is in big trouble, maybe they should just get out of the Cruise business and just be the owners of NCL. They should drop the Star brand and shut it down! Then NCL could take all the Star ships and use them in their fleet and have a division in the Far East.

I believe just by having one brand they would be stronger than ever, but hey who knows whats going to happen!!

Posts: 865 | From: Grande Prairie,Alberta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-24-2004 09:03 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
gpcruisedude posted:
They should drop the Star brand and shut it down! Then NCL could take all the Star ships and use them in their fleet and have a division in the Far East.
Thats not a bad idea, but it reminds me similar to what Cunard did a while back... I think Star/NCL will generate more profit once they have their newbuilds in service and the NORWAY conflict is over...

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-24-2004 09:12 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gpcruisedude:
If Star really is in big trouble, maybe they should just get out of the Cruise business and just be the owners of NCL. They should drop the Star brand and shut it down! Then NCL could take all the Star ships and use them in their fleet and have a division in the Far East.

I believe just by having one brand they would be stronger than ever, but hey who knows whats going to happen!!

I'm not sure that would be too wise. I think Asia will emerge as the next major cruise market, and I would hope that Star would be there to take advantage of it.

In fact Carnival is actively looking to enter Asia, probably with a new brand. As I'm sure you know, Carnival does not enter any market unless they are pretty damn sure they can be successful.

In the long run Carnival entering Asia could be a good thing for Star. Star Cruises is already a well known and established brand, and by adding something new from Carnival it only will increase awareness of cruising in general. Star could actually take advantage of that if they play their cards right.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 02-24-2004 10:09 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was the last bit of news from the Far East:

Star Cruises Q4 loss widens on write-offs
It posts US$129m loss in Q4, expects recovery in Q1 04
February 23, 2004

(HONG KONG) Star Cruises, the world's No 3 cruise line operator, said 2003 fourth-quarter losses widened after it wrote off the values of some of its older ships.

The company posted a loss of US$129 million (S$217.6 million), or 2.56 cents a share, in the three months ended Dec 31, compared with US$19 million, or 0.41 cents a share, in the year earlier.

It wrote US$95.5 million off its books on older ships it plans to sell.

Star Cruises, partly owned by Malaysia's Resorts World Bhd, is trying to recover from a slump in its Asian business caused by the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome in the region last year.

Apart from this, a storm in Germany damaged one of the vessels being built in a shipyard for the company.

The company expects a recovery in its Asian business this quarter.

'We expect first-quarter 2004 performance in Asia to recover to the level achieved in the first quarter of 2003,' the company said in an e-mailed statement in Singapore, without giving details. Star Cruises posted a net profit of US$681,000 in the first quarter of 2003.

Without the write-off and provisions for legal expenses, the company would have posted a lower fourth-quarter loss of US$14.8 million, the company said.

For the full year, Star Cruises posted a net loss of US$101 million, or 2.04 cents a share, compared with a profit of US$73 million, or 1.65 cents a share. Sales rose 2.8 per cent to US$1.6 billion. – Bloomberg

As you can see from this, Star is confident of a recovery.

As for the Pride of America, she is in dry dock. The engines don't seem to be damaged, a few of them have already been fired up. The pods seem to have escaped damage as well. The electrical systems may need replacing, well, at least the controls do, which are very sensitive. Furniture and other fixtures in the finished cabins flooded will have to be replaced. The hull itself is undamaged, however there are many dents where the vessel hit the wharf. Some windows are also dented. All in all it may be possible that she will enter service at the end of this year, if all goes well. No news reports have been released since detailing damage and timeframes.

The Norway is still at Lloyd Weft and will be used to train staff for the Pride of America. No news whether she’ll re-enter service after this.

The two newbuilds at Meyer Werft will still be constructed, as far as I know.

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 02-25-2004 07:55 PM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The fact that Carnival not entering a market unless they are sure they can succeed, well thats not 100% true! Their is ONE time they did and it was a disaster...Fiesta Marina Cruises ring a bell?? And the ship Fiesta Marina(ex Carnivale) now sailing as the Topaz! That was a misjudgement if I ever saw one! I'm not totally sure why Fiesta Marina failed, but as far as I know it's one time Carnival was wrong!
gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 02-25-2004 08:00 PM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Also maybe another idea, and I'm assuming NCL is much healthier than Star is, and if that's the case.. then maybe Star could sell all their ships to NCL and just Charter them back...that would give them a healthy balance sheet and would give NCL extra revenue from the Charters! Plus with Star owning NCL they could take true advantage of that!
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-26-2004 06:43 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gpcruisedude:
The fact that Carnival not entering a market unless they are sure they can succeed, well thats not 100% true! Their is ONE time they did and it was a disaster...Fiesta Marina Cruises ring a bell?? And the ship Fiesta Marina(ex Carnivale) now sailing as the Topaz! That was a misjudgement if I ever saw one! I'm not totally sure why Fiesta Marina failed, but as far as I know it's one time Carnival was wrong!

Yes, this is true, as is the Crystal Palace hotel in Nassau and Carnival Air Lines... three failures for Carnival in 30+ years, and minor ones at that. Certainly not every business is 100% on the mark 100% of the time. I'm not saying Carnival is perfect, but they usually don't enter a market unless they are reasonably sure they can succeed. If there are uncertainties then they will go about it gradually, like with one older ship as was the case with CARNIVALE and Fiesta.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Andy
First Class Passenger
Member # 3856

posted 02-27-2004 04:39 AM      Profile for Andy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Recently I really feel VERY DISSATISFIED with STAR. LEO's schedule in April changes from time to time (as they are so proud of, as the "ability" to response at short notice !) the schedule keeps changing every several days, and the schedule of GEMINI is changing either, and they still don't have idea of what ship will operate longer cruises after the departure of LEO. With the sales of CAPRICORN and ARIES, as well as the accidents of NORWAY and POA, I really feel very sad about STAR. I can't see them having bright future, at least for the near future. How can they maintain a fleet of only three vessels in Asia? Perhaps they can buy some second hand vessels... again do they have the money?

I really get very dissatisfied with them... unless they show me something great in May... I hope CARNIVAL can enter the Asian market as early as possible... never mind which ship will they get... I just don't want to see only STAR operating here, with declining services!

Posts: 581 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-27-2004 10:54 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think with Star right now is they are spending all resources and efforts into NCL and caring less with their own brand since there is no competition. If Carnival was to enter the Asia market, Star is probably in a bad spot...I think with the older NCL tonnages coming in to Star, times will be better....
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScottQE2
First Class Passenger
Member # 4180

posted 02-27-2004 11:15 AM      Profile for ScottQE2   Author's Homepage   Email ScottQE2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess this isn't good news for Norway or United States?

Scott

Posts: 165 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eric
First Class Passenger
Member # 2724

posted 02-27-2004 12:12 PM      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie, I had forgotten all about Carnival airlines, once flew with them from Orlando to San Juan. Arrived at a/port before 6am for schd 7.30 flight & no one had heard of them, no name up at any check in desk, settled down to wait in area security indicated might be their area & luckily later went long way round to find some BF & spotted a newly erected tempory sign at other end of a/p, just made it to check in on time. Not good organisation but flight was OK
Eric

Posts: 421 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.