- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Unknown ship in Belize?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unknown ship in Belize?
mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 02-29-2004 11:14 AM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On our visit to Belize City last week (about 2/25), there were 4 ships anchored. We were aboard the Norwegian Sea. Also present was the Norwegian Wind, an RCI ship, and another ship that appeared to have twin funnels at the stern. I was wondering if that was the Thomson Spirit, formerly the Patriot, formerly the Nieuw Amsterdam? Those "funnels" would have been something else, then.
Posts: 308 | From: Cedar Hill, TX | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-29-2004 12:53 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
mrblanche, does it look like this:

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 02-29-2004 02:15 PM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't tell, we only saw it stern on.
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 02-29-2004 02:50 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HAL'S Veendam was there on Feb. 24th.
Could it have been this ship. She doesn't have twin funnels and I don't remember the Nieuw Amsterdam having twin funnels either.

The Rotterdam and Amsterdam have them.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 02-29-2004 07:08 PM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nope, it was definitely the 25th. From the stern, the Nieuw Amsterdam (and the Thomson Spirit!) has two masts near the stern, a contruction I have seen nowhere else.

I'm guess the Spirit was the ship we saw. Now if we can figure out which RCI ship was there, we can figure out if we had been on all four of the ships in port that day!

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 02-29-2004 07:16 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a better picture of the Patriot taken from the sky. You can see the two stacks in this pix. I must check out my pixs of the Nieuw Amsterdam tomorrow.
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Patriot.html#anchor2082488

Looks like it was the Thomson Spirit.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-29-2004 07:31 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thomson Spirit is sailing around the Canary Islands on 7 night itineries, it couldn't have been her.
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-29-2004 07:31 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thomson Spirit:

Mrblanche, describe to us how the RCI ship looks like! This is a fun "quiz"!

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mikiebaccarat
First Class Passenger
Member # 1026

posted 02-29-2004 08:06 PM      Profile for mikiebaccarat   Email mikiebaccarat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The RCI ship in Belize was likely Grandeur of the Seas as she has just changed her itinerary out of New Orleans to substitute Belize City for Key West.
Posts: 53 | From: Kingston,ON,Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 03-01-2004 08:21 AM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't think it was the Grandeur of the Seas. She was stranded in New Orleans most of last week!

I looked at the Royal Caribbean web site, but getting actual itineraries there seems to be beyond their capability, or mine.

Dave the Wave
First Class Passenger
Member # 3813

posted 03-01-2004 12:59 PM      Profile for Dave the Wave   Email Dave the Wave   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The RCI ship was most likely the Enchantment of the Seas which goes there on the alternate 5 night cruises. I am going there myself in May after Key West and Cozumel.
Posts: 211 | From: St.Pete, Florida | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-01-2004 01:11 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sympatico:
Here's a better picture of the Patriot taken from the sky. You can see the two stacks in this pix. I must check out my pixs of the Nieuw Amsterdam tomorrow.
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Patriot.html#anchor2082488

Looks like it was the Thomson Spirit.

Those are not stacks ore smoke stacks but are simply kingposts. They are unique to the Nieuw Amsterdam / Noordam sisters and are a design futere off this fine vessels.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
geno-er
First Class Passenger
Member # 4202

posted 03-01-2004 01:30 PM      Profile for geno-er   Email geno-er   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm woundering if the ship in question may be the Fourwinds, I think it's called. We saw this ship quite a few years ago and it looks like what you are describing. At the time I was told that it belong to the Christian Scientiest's.
Posts: 159 | From: Pocono's, Pa. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
sunniebgi
First Class Passenger
Member # 2513

posted 03-04-2004 09:59 AM      Profile for sunniebgi   Email sunniebgi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geno-er:
I'm woundering if the ship in question may be the Fourwinds, I think it's called. We saw this ship quite a few years ago and it looks like what you are describing. At the time I was told that it belong to the Christian Scientiest's.

The ship is the Freewinds and it's owned by the Church of Scientology.. Please don't every confuse that with The Christian Science Church. (of which my late father was a long standing member) (and I don't want to get into an religious topic here just trying not to confuse the two)

The Freewinds is a small ship. I'm not sure of it's itinerary, but it is regularly in Barbados during the winter cruise season. It doesn't take regular cruises from what I understand, or probably have a regular itinerary.

[ 03-04-2004: Message edited by: sunniebgi ]

Posts: 11 | From: Barbados | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-04-2004 10:32 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Freewinds, ex Boheme

There are some previous threads on her, one here.
Pam

mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 03-06-2004 12:13 PM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nope, not the Feewind.

What's annoying is that I though I had a picture of the ship in question, although from some distance, but I can't seem to find one.

I have my doubts about it being the Thomson Spirit. But it definitely had two distinct vertical structures, similar to the Spirit. But I would swear they were stacks, since I didn't see a midships stack like the Spirit has.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-06-2004 01:51 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What about one of the Seabourn ships? I think Seabourn Legend is over that way.
Pam

Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 03-06-2004 02:30 PM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have been looking through pics for a couple of hours now, trying to figure this out.

Though Pam beat me to the punch, I was going to suggest Seabourn, too. You didn't mention if it was a smaller ship you saw.

Also, I was searching WebShots under "Belize cruise ship" and on the first page there is a pic of a smaller two funnel ship anchored next to either N. Dawn or Wind. It isn't the clearest picture, but it looks like one of the Seabourn ships to me.

I tried to post the pic, but my PC is sooooooo slow! Perhaps one of our more talented posters could help out?

Michael534

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Landlocked Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4297

posted 03-06-2004 02:44 PM      Profile for Landlocked Cruiser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael534:
a smaller two funnel ship anchored next to either N. Dawn or Wind.

This one?

Sometimes the pic shows, sometimes not. If you can't see it, try this link.

[ 03-06-2004: Message edited by: Landlocked Cruiser ]

Posts: 253 | From: Wichita | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 03-06-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Landlocked Cruiser! That's the one.

After zooming in and looking closer, it is definately the Seabourn Legend. Now if we just knew if this is the ship in question.

Thanks again.

Michael534

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 03-06-2004 05:53 PM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw the ship mainly stern-on, and I'll bet it was one of the Seabourne ships. Thanks, ship detectives!

That's the Norwegian Wind in the background of the photo, by the way.

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 03-06-2004 05:59 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heres a picture of the Seabourn ships stern shot from Seabourn's website...

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.