- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Queen Vic Poll. (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Queen Vic Poll.
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 05-31-2004 09:50 AM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heya... if you visit...

This Page...

There is a new poll question there - enjoy

Chris

[ 05-31-2004: Message edited by: Chris Cunard ]

Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-31-2004 11:01 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's a clever idea!;-)

However, the red questions are very difficult to read on my PC?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 05-31-2004 12:19 PM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Malcolm

Sorry about the red - the poll is provided free from the people who look after my guestbook and I can't change the font for this poll now - but the next one will have white text on black!

Above: Jason's QM2 / QE2 hybrid design for QV(2)

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-31-2004 12:32 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice rendering of QV (2). I wish she would look like that. Unfortunately she will look exactly as QV (1) did, as she is just another Vista Class ship.

The whole bit about QV1 not being luxurious enough for Cunard is such crap. None of us knew exactly what QV1 was going to look like on the interior so we have no way of knowing if QV2 is really going to be any different.

I think the bottom line is that P&O was more in need of the tonnage, that P&O proved they could turn a profit on the ship more quickly than Cunard, and that Cunard was in no position to take on new tonnage so quickly since they are still experiencing teething problems with QM2.

If the design of QV1 was truly unacceptable to Cunard, then they would have designed QV2 from scratch and not just ordered another Vista Class. There are only so many variations that can be made of this design, and Holland America has already figured out the best use of general arrangement for this type ship.

Ernie

ps - Cunard can call QV2 an "ocean liner", but she will be a cruise ship through and through.

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-31-2004 01:01 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
John Maxtome Graham spoke recently on the QM2 for the Worldship Society of New York. He was asked about the QV and said that the QV, while built on top of a Vista Class hull, will have a superstructure that looks like a cross between the QE2 and QM2. Thus she would at least look like an ocean liner though she would not actually be one in the sense that QM2 is. I know the man does not work for Cunard, but, we all know he has his connections...
Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-31-2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
I think the bottom line is that P&O was more in need of the tonnage, that P&O proved they could turn a profit on the ship more quickly than Cunard...

Possibly a factor:

When I was onboard the QM2 a senior member of the dining room staff said that staffing the QM2 had been quite a problem for Cunard, as they did not have a big fleet to draw experienced staff from and support the new recruits.

P&O are in a better position to at least provide a percentage of experienced staff to add to the mix onboard Arcadia.

I must say that the P&O fleet has really been messed about the past couple of years. I'm losing track of which ships are in and which are out?

I'm still not sure how P&O fill all of their ships; they are not exactly cheap, yet they do not quite have the prestige of 'Cunard', in my mind? Mind you they do seem to have a loyal following.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
ScottQE2
First Class Passenger
Member # 4180

posted 05-31-2004 01:03 PM      Profile for ScottQE2   Author's Homepage   Email ScottQE2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Chris, Is there a picture of the new Q.V. yet? I really don't want it to be some knock off of a 'class' of ship - you know - the nothing special, cookie cutter design that people like nowadays.

Before we boarded QM2 in Fort Lauderdale for her inaugural Caribbean cruise, there was a Princess ship there, may be the Dawn? I don't know - but it was ugly. Someone nearby commented that it looked like a floating concrete parking garage.

Why pay money to go on something like that?

Hopefully, Q.V. will look like the rendering on your web site.

Scott

Posts: 165 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-31-2004 01:11 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:
John Maxtome Graham spoke recently on the QM2 for the Worldship Society of New York. He was asked about the QV and said that the QV, while built on top of a Vista Class hull, will have a superstructure that looks like a cross between the QE2 and QM2. Thus she would at least look like an ocean liner though she would not actually be one in the sense that QM2 is. I know the man does not work for Cunard, but, we all know he has his connections...

This is good news. I hope it's true, but until I actually see an official rendering from Cunard I remain skeptical. JMG does know what he is talking about though, so I have a lot of faith in what he has to say.

I still feel that P&O needed the tonnage and Cunard was not prepared for another new ship, and that is the reason for the change. Even so, if it gives Cunard a chance to regroup, redesign the ship, and staff it properly then that is a very good thing.

Bill Miller was on my QM2 sailing and his lectures are always so entertaining. He attended two of the FOD parties and I enjoyed chatting with him. He seems to know some inside info on Carnival's new 180,000 gt newbuilds under consideration, but mentioned nothing about QV. One thing I really like about his lectures are the fact he can poke fun at Carnival Corp. and speak highly of other lines (such as Crystal and the Voyager Class) even though he is lecturing on a Carnival Corp. owned ship.

Ernie

First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 05-31-2004 01:31 PM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScottQE2:
Hi Chris, Is there a picture of the new Q.V. yet? I really don't want it to be some knock off of a 'class' of ship - you know - the nothing special, cookie cutter design that people like nowadays.

Scott

Hey mate : I have not seen anything "official" but hopefully something nice to look at will be the outcome.

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 05-31-2004 01:45 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dear Chris, I cannot view your webpage for some odd reason. Is there a way you can post the pics here? Anyhow, below is a rendering of the QV I did a while back....

[ 05-31-2004: Message edited by: Keitaro ]

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-31-2004 01:51 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I hope it's true.......JMG does know what he is talking about though, so I have a lot of faith in what he has to say.

I do to, but, the man could also just be wrong. I hope not though. We shall wait and see....

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-31-2004 02:15 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cunard:
Thanks Malcolm

Above: Jason's QM2 / QE2 hybrid design for QV(2)

This is an excellent design!

Malcolm, I found P&O's service superior to Cunard, something you and Ernie can corroborate

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 05-31-2004 02:47 PM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope QV(2) will look kinda like my rendering above but I know she will not. She will look like the photo given out to the press below, but with better interiors then originally designed for the QV(1).

I like your new poll question Chris

[ 05-31-2004: Message edited by: Ðraikar ]

Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-31-2004 05:36 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ðraikar:
I hope QV(2) will look kinda like my rendering above but I know she will not. She will look like the photo given out to the press below, but with better interiors then originally designed for the QV(1).

If this is the case then my original assumption is correct. She is nothing more than Vista Class clone that Cunard is somehow trying to pass off as "better". As for the interiors being improved, we have no way of really knowing since none of us have seen the original design specs or renderings for the "original" QV.

I can still hope that Cunard released this QV2 rendering in haste or possibly did not want to reveal what the real ship will look like prematurely??

Ernie

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-31-2004 05:42 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for the interiors being improved, we have no way of really knowing since none of us have seen the original design specs or renderings for the "original" QV.

I wonder if Arcadia will simply have the decor that planned for the QV? After all both cruise lines appeal to a similar market niche.

It's hard to imagine all the planned interiors will be completely changed for P&O?

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-31-2004 05:54 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

I wonder if Arcadia will simply have the decor that planned for the QV? After all both cruise lines appeal to a similar market niche.

It's hard to imagine all the planned interiors will be completely changed for P&O?

Yes Malcolm, I think she will. Of course none of us (at least that I know of) have seen those interiors. In fact I don't know of anyone who has even seen the general arrangement of the public areas. It would be interesting to compare to HAL's and Carnival/Costa's.

At this late stage in the game I think it would be too expensive to change interior designers and mess around with the G.A. too much. I would estimate the ship will be 90% as designed for Cunard, with some changes incorporated for P&O (i.e. P&O signature lounges, signage, etc.).

Like I said in an earlier thread, it's very interesting just how interchangeable these ships are between brands. What that tells me is that the brands are too diluted and too much alike and maybe seperate brands are not needed.

I remember when Princess bought two of the R-Class ships. They changed one lounge and added the Princess glass mailboxes on the outside of each cabin. Suddenly the President of Princess proclaimed they felt like Princess ships through and through. IMO that didn't say much for what makes a Princess ship unique.

Ernie

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-31-2004 06:15 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is one other reason besides those I already mentioned as to why I think Carnival Corp. decided to give QV1 over to P&O.

QV1 was originally intended to be a ship catering almost exclusively to the UK market, just as QE2 is today now that she has left N.American waters.

I think Cunard has had a change of heart and I have a feeling that QV2 will be marketed extensively in both the US, as well as the UK and Europe. I think changes to the ship were required in order for QV2 to appeal more to a N. American clientele. In fact I have a feeling Cunard has re-thought the strategy regarding QE2 as well, based on the number of mailings I get from Cunard regarding this ship and the VERY cheap prices. There are also rumors floating about that QE2 will return to N. American waters. We shall see.

Ernie

Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 05-31-2004 06:59 PM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trust me, QV2 will look like QV1 out side....

It would be nice if she looked kinda like my rendering of a small qm2, and she may but we would have seen news of this from ship designers. Only thing they are doing is inside stuff, she may be longer, that is one thing I bet could happen but other then that she will look like QV1 just more or less rooms...

Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-31-2004 07:07 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Like I said in an earlier thread, it's very interesting just how interchangeable these ships are between brands.

I cannot see much differance between the P&O and Cunard products for 80% of the passengers. Although Cunard cater better for the top 20% (a guess) with their grill class and big suites.

I suppose not having big/expensive suites on QV was excluding a very lucrative part of their market nich?

Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 05-31-2004 07:47 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see no reason to believe that QV2 should be different in design then QV1. The first QV was never discontinued by Cunard/Carnival because it was a bad design (if she was she would not be relocated to another company). There are other reasons why QV became the current Arcadia.

I think in the eyes of Cunard the second QV (as we call it) is just the same as the discontinued QV, she only enters service later as planned and that is probably also what Cunard wants the public to believe.

There are now so many vista class ships sailing around I don’t think that the upcoming QV will be a new ship (design wise)

Never the less for fun I’m drawing a profile of QV that has the best of both worlds, a bit of Vista and a bit of QM2. If it’s finished I’ll post it.

Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 06-01-2004 06:47 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We can't wait for it Onno!
We hope Cunard will do what HAL/FINCANTIERI did when the current Rotterdam was designed.
It was a big Statendam with a modified hull and profile, and I se no reason why it will not happen with QV.
My hope is that QV get a proper ia name, but they seems to be reserved for P&O cruises only now.
QA, Queen Alexandra would be more resaonable.
QV is so so common in the UK, and associated with public houses!
Gives us some class name Carnival!

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-01-2004 07:12 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why on earth is there all of this excitement about the QV? She will obviously be disappointing in comparison to the breathtaking QM2.

Book P&O’s Arcadia instead. She will effectively be the same as the intended QV. The fares may well be a little cheaper? She will have the decor that was originally intended for the QV. She will only have one class of dinning, so you are more likely to get good food, even if you have booked a low grade cabin. You also will not have to share a cruise with any ‘Cunard’ snobs!

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-01-2004 07:48 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
Why on earth is there all of this excitement about the QV? She will obviously be disappointing in comparison to the breathtaking QM2.

Good question Malcolm, and who on earth knows. Some people get excited about "anything Cunard" regardless of what it is, even if it's just another Vista Class clone. This ship has already fostered far more attention then she deserves.

While I think QM2 is an amazing ship, probably my favorite so far, I certainly don't place Cunard on a pedestal. They have had more than their share of duds in modern times, as one only need look at CUNARD COUNTESS, CUNARD PRINCESS, CUNARD ADVENTURER, and Cunard Crown-Dynasty among others.

It's only thanks to Carnival Corp. that we have QM2 and Cunard once again on a growth mode.

At the end of the day there are other ships in the works far more interesting then QV.

Ernie

[ 06-01-2004: Message edited by: eroller ]

Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 06-01-2004 09:32 AM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Keitaro , here's a litlle change to your fantastic design I did , just slide the forward superstructure a little back , what do you think ??

Jochen

Posts: 947 | From: Belgium | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 06-01-2004 10:03 AM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Keitaro & Jochen : Love the design - just so long as we don't have a carbon copy of QE2's very special funnel.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.