- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Carnival Miracle - Abandon Ship Threat

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carnival Miracle - Abandon Ship Threat
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 08-03-2004 03:28 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else on here heard about this? I briefly saw something in a past news article that someone came over the PA system in the early morning hours on the Carnival Miracle and said for the crew to abandon ship. Apparently they think teens were responsible. From what I heard it sounded like chaos broke out but the captain came on and calmed the passengers. Anyone out there on this sailing to give us a personal account. Because I can't see how someone got behind the PA controls. Arent they on the bridge and at the Pursers Desk? And I know the Pursers Desk is open 24/7.
Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 08-04-2004 10:02 AM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess no one heard of the situation.
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-04-2004 10:23 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's outlined with various 'theories' on another forum. Search and you will find it. It has strangely been removed from another. But, it did happen; there are plenty of people in there who were aboard at the time. Carnival have certainly kept it quiet. The perpertraitor should be dealt with in the same way as that girl not so long ago in LA who wanted to stay home with her boyfriend, imo. But there appears to be more to this case than meets the eye, otherwise why hush it up.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
WhiteStar
First Class Passenger
Member # 2740

posted 08-04-2004 11:20 AM      Profile for WhiteStar   Email WhiteStar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam you're right. If this is true the people responsible should go to jail. No different then yelling FIRE in a theatre. I've done some searching but haven't been able to find any more info on the incident.
Posts: 668 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-04-2004 12:17 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If it really did happen, the BIG question is how did guests get access to the PA system? I’m not surprised if it has disappeared from the Net – it is very embarrassing for Carnival, if it is true.

Of course any such message across the PA is unlikely to fool the crew as I assume there are relevant codes and alert signals. However it could have distressed guests.

I do not really blame the guests responsible, after all on a big ship there is ALWAYS going to be a opercentage of brainless idiots – it’s the law of averages. The big question is how did the guest get access? It sounds like Carnival need to tighten their security arrangements - if true.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-04-2004 12:18 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If it really did happen, the BIG question is how did guests get access to the PA system? I’m not surprised if it has disappeared from the Net – it is very embarrassing for Carnival, if it is true.

Of course any such message across the PA is unlikely to fool the crew as I assume there are relevant codes and alert signals. However it could have distressed guests.

I do not really blame the guests responsible, after all on a big ship there is ALWAYS going to be a opercentage of brainless idiots – it’s the law of averages. The big question is how did the guest get access? It sounds like Carnival need to tighten their security arrangements - if true.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-04-2004 12:27 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There might also be a PA system somewhere in the dining room, and the Cruise Director's office. Either of these could be used if they were not locked. It's also possible it was a drunk crew member, and not a passenger that made the PA.

When I sailed on MAASDAM last year, our cabin was right next to the Cruise Director's office. Her desk had a PA microphone built right in. The office was open all the time, even in the middle of the night with just a curtain closing it off. Unfortunately, she (the Cruise Director) took advantage of that convenient PA and made sooo many revenue producing announcements. I wanted to rip that thing out of her desk! I've heard far fewer announcements on the Carnival cruises I have taken.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 08-04-2004 02:23 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't beleive this. Ship security needs to be tighter? That had to be a very scary situation. Apparently this did happen a freind of mine saw this on the news this weekend. I only ran across it in a newspaper article from the Daily News. I recently returned from NCL's Dawn and I noticed that ship had many cameras in the public areas. I guess all ships should adopt this.
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-04-2004 02:29 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nycruiser:
I can't beleive this. Ship security needs to be tighter? That had to be a very scary situation. Apparently this did happen a freind of mine saw this on the news this weekend. I only ran across it in a newspaper article from the Daily News. I recently returned from NCL's Dawn and I noticed that ship had many cameras in the public areas. I guess all ships should adopt this.

It's sad really. We need more and more policies, restrictions, rules, cameras, security, etc. just to keep society in order .... even on vacation! Is it that difficult for people to behave in a civilized manner in this day and age?

Ernie

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-04-2004 03:05 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The problem is there are too many polices/rules & restrictions already in force. Some seem so pointless and often there are contradicting policies regarding security [ie you can't take a metal nail file or baseball bat on an aircraft, but you can take knitting needles and a skateboard] , that people now often ignore & don't adhere to them.

Carnival do not seem interested in bothering to find whoever did this, stating "It was a thoughtless and
inconsiderate act on someone's part. We have taken some actions to ensure that it never happens again." They could have held everyone onboard and taken fingerprints. No less of a crime than a bomb hoax. They are lucky no-one suffered a heart-attack or similar. How come nothing is showing on the CCTV cameras?

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-04-2004 03:29 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam,
It's a shame cruise lines even have to worry about passengers making unauthorized public address announcements. When I worked onboard the PA microphone was right at the end of the Purser's Desk (on CROWN PRINCESS). We never even considered the fact that a passenger would make a PA of any sort. It was just unheard of, and certainly not thought of. We also had NO cameras onboard like there are now. I've never seen as many cameras as I have onboard NORWEGIAN STAR. Most were not even hidden, but in your face. The majority seemed directed at revenue centers like bars and such. I felt like not only did NCL not trust the passengers, but the crew as well. Of course now cameras are common place on every new ship. As I stated before, it's sad we even need all these "preventive measures" just to keep society in check.

Ernie

sunviking82
First Class Passenger
Member # 4930

posted 08-04-2004 05:35 PM      Profile for sunviking82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Some people just don't seem to care about other passengers. Right after 9/11 we were on the Grand Princess and we had two incidents with the same couple. First they missed the boat and Princess sent a lauch back to St. Thomas to get them. Apparently, if you throw your shoe at the boat they will do that. They should have left them, becuase back in Fort Lauderdale we were delayed dis-embarkation for more than an hour because these two did not go to customs. We were all VERY late getting off the ship. We got to the airport 4 hours before out flight, but got to the gate with 15 minutes to spare. I think that Carnival should go after whomever these people are and make an example of them. Maybe walk the plank! HE HE.
Posts: 383 | From: Minneapolis Minnesota , USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 08-05-2004 12:38 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunviking82:
First they missed the boat and Princess sent a lauch back to St. Thomas to get them. Apparently, if you throw your shoe at the boat they will do that. They should have left them...

Yes. They should have left them.

Contrast Princess' action with that of QE2's Captain on a Med Cruise on September 29, 1983.

QE2 was making her maiden call at Ibiza and was anchored about half a mile out. A little further out Maxim Gorkij was also anchored but at times was not visible from the dock from where local tenders were servicing both ships. QE2 was scheduled to sail at 11 pm with the last tender leaving the dock at 10:30 pm.

An american couple who I shall simply call Jim and Joan were on their honeymoon. Joan was indisposed that day and stayed in bed while Jim took the shore excursion they had intended to take together. I was on the same excursion. Jim returned to the ship at about 2:30 pm. Joan was still not feeling well and was still in bed.

At 6:30 pm while Jim was getting ready for dinner, Joan announced that she was feeling better and was going to go ashore and she she would grab a bite to eat ashore. Since Jim had already been ashore he didn't go with her but he did advise her of the last tender time and told her to make sure she didn't miss it.

At about 10:15 Joan arrived at the dock. At the time Maxim Gorkij was completely hidden from view by QE2 and Joan had no idea that QE2 was not the only ship "in port". She saw people boarding a tender and asked "Is this the boat back to the ship?". On getting a positive response she boarded the tender which left the dock about 5 minutes later. Looking around she did not recognise any of the other passengers but thought nothing of it. After all, QE2 was a big ship and this was only the 4th night of a 12-night cruise.

The tender pulled away from the dock and started to head out. When the tender started to swing wide of QE2 she wasn't concerned until she saw Maxim Gorkij. Soon her new found fears were confirmed as it became obvious she had caught the wrong tender. Despite assurances from the tender operator that they wouuld get back to the dock in time, the last tender to QE2 had already left by the time they got back. The shore side personnel then radioed QE2 asking them to wait but the Captain refused to wait and QE2 sailed for Barcelona on schedule.

The tour operators put Joan up at a hotel for the night and booked her on a flight to Barcelona for the next morning. The cost of the hotel and the air fare were charged to Jim's shipboard account. (She also almost missed the boat in Barcelona but that is another story.)

So, here we have a case where a person made sure not to be late but got left behind because of an unfortunate error and the Captain simply said "tough". In the Princess case, the couple seems to be the type that just don't give a damn but got away with it. Sad!

Just to show that this particular QE2 captain (name witheld here but it was mentioned in another thread a few days ago), played no favourites, he also refused to grant Sir Bobby Charlton (a national hero to many) permission to board QE2 as a visitor at Gibraltar 6 days later.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joe99
First Class Passenger
Member # 3931

posted 08-05-2004 01:03 AM      Profile for Joe99     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It did happen. Here is the link to the AP news.
http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzship0804,0,6795967.story?coll=ny-business-headlines

Posts: 51 | From: midwest | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.