- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise line released the following statement regarding Hurricane Beryl:

Carnival's Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring forecasts for possible impacts to itineraries from Hurricane Beryl. Given Hurricane Beryl’s projected path, Carnival has adjusted the following itineraries: Carnival Horizon will add a visit to Nassau, The Bahamas on Friday, July 5....

Latest News...Oceania Cruises has marked an important milestone in the construction of its new 1,200-guest ship, Allura, at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri Ponente, Italy, bordering the famed seaport of Genoa. A landmark moment as the ship moves towards completion, the vessel was floated from the dry-dock and moved to the fitting-out berth to begin outfitting the luxurious, designer-inspired interiors....

Latest News...Crystal, the leader in exceptional cruise experiences, announced today the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri. This agreement marks the commencement of the construction of two groundbreaking ships that will redefine high-end travel on the seas.The 690-passenger (based on double occupancy), 61,800-gross-ton ships ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Cruise ship models

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cruise ship models
jkwan12345
First Class Passenger
Member # 6304

posted 03-02-2006 10:21 PM      Profile for jkwan12345   Email jkwan12345   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so I'm still trying to find out how everything works. I was wondering if anyone knew any good websites to purchase cruise ship models. I am looking for any size, other than the maritime replicas models. They're too expensive. Thanks!

James

Posts: 23 | From: Piedmont, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 03-03-2006 01:03 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Scherbak Models had some nice ones at not too bad pricing. Check out their site. All others tend to be either more crude, or a much smaller scale, like 1:1250...

Scherbak Models

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-03-2006 01:51 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Try your local hobby shop. They usually have a lot of plastic kits,maybe they will have cruise ships.
F4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 03-03-2006 03:33 PM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can't find reasonably priced models anywhere. If you buy ones you assemble yourself they are cheaper, but good luck finding them.
Posts: 1197 | From: Massachusetts where the Brittania was trapped! | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 03-03-2006 03:46 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

If you are interested in 1250 scale models, there are a number of suppliers, who stock a multitude of models by different makers. Here are a few:

Morning Sunshine Models

Alnavco

1250 Ships

Good luck collecting

Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 03-03-2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
Try your local hobby shop. They usually have a lot of plastic kits,maybe they will have cruise ships.
F4

Please show me some plastic cruise ship kits! - beside the Aida(Cara), QM2 and QE2 and very, very rare Japanese kits there are only kits of some liners like Canberra, United States, France, Titanic, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth etc.
(and of course the two large R/C kits of Hanseatic and Kong Harald - but I guess this is not what you are talking about)

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 03-03-2006 05:48 PM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

Please show me some plastic cruise ship kits! - beside the Aida(Cara), QM2 and QE2 and very, very rare Japanese kits there are only kits of some liners like Canberra, United States, France, Titanic, Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth etc.
(and of course the two large R/C kits of Hanseatic and Kong Harald - but I guess this is not what you are talking about)

I've never been able to find QM or Normandie kits! Where are they available?

Posts: 1197 | From: Massachusetts where the Brittania was trapped! | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 03-03-2006 06:29 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Check eBay for plastic model kits. I recently acquired both BATORY and PILSUDSKI from a Polish model maker. Also the Japanese have produced several NYK liners in kit form; I have the NITA MARU and HIKAWA MARU.

Airfix produced QE2, QUEEN ELIZABETH, FRANCE, CANBERRA, MAURETANIA. Revell produced QUEEN MARY, UNITED STATES, BRASIL.

Liner model kits are hard to find, but there are plenty of vintage kits in mint condition out there.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 03-03-2006 06:36 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J.S.S.Normandie:

I've never been able to find QM or Normandie kits! Where are they available?

The range of passenger ships available as plastic models kits is VERY limited - though I would imagine that gift shops aboard ships alone would cause enough demand - especially as there are classes of ships which would allow one kit to be used for several ships - most kit would probalby never be built but might be considered as e.g. the 'perfect' gift for the grand children etc.

Nevertheless there is a Queen Mary kit by Revell (and Queen Elizabeth by Airfix) - no wonder that you did not find Normandie - to my knowledge there is not kit of here on the market.....

J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 03-03-2006 07:04 PM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I looked on the Revell site and they do have QM, QM2, and Titanic(which I already own,) although when I was on their site a few months ago they only had Titanic. However they don't let you order online.
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 03-03-2006 07:08 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Revell is very popular in Germany and Austria - they dominate the market. (you find them in any toy store - for the other brands you would have to go to a specialized shop) I am sure there is a way to get these kits in the U.S. (also via the net - just not from Revell directly - this German company is also delivering abroad (I guess you have to contact them via e-mail) just click on the name of the company on the left (Revell - Heller - Airfix etc.) - I am sure there are also some U.S. companies like this one)

[ 03-03-2006: Message edited by: Ernst ]

greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 03-03-2006 07:18 PM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Airfix model kits of QE2 and QM2, and the Revell QM2 can often be found on eBay
Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-03-2006 08:19 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J.S.S.Normandie:
I looked on the Revell site and they do have QM, QM2, and Titanic(which I already own,) although when I was on their site a few months ago they only had Titanic. However they don't let you order online.

I have purchased the following approx. 1/600 scale models on Ebay: QM, QM2, QE, France, Canberra, Mauretania, United States, Titanic, President Cleveland, Argentina, Brasil, Oriana and the larger 1/400 scale of Titanic, Lusitania, QE2 and QM2. I also purchased the smaller scale Batory, some prewar Japanese cargo liners and a post war Italia cargo liner. I think I have 6 France models unbuilt and several Argentinas and Brasils as well that I may sell on Ebay when the price gets really high! You have to check Ebay frequently as passenger ship models are rare. Expect to pay around $70-80.00 for a Airfix 1/600 ss France. These are quite rare and most likely won't be made again as the original molds have been lost. The prices can only go up on these great 1/600 scale kits.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jkwan12345
First Class Passenger
Member # 6304

posted 03-03-2006 09:55 PM      Profile for jkwan12345   Email jkwan12345   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know where to get the princess cruise models?
Posts: 23 | From: Piedmont, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
kph06
First Class Passenger
Member # 3506

posted 03-03-2006 10:36 PM      Profile for kph06   Email kph06   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Today I actually got a pretty good deal on ebay, I got the QE2, QE, QM, Titanic and France in one deal for just under $100, which is pretty good considering France, the main one I wanted normally goes for about $80 and up.

Posts: 150 | From: Halifax, Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-03-2006 10:42 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
(Revell - Heller - Airfix etc.) - I am sure there are also some U.S. companies like this one)

[ 03-03-2006: Message edited by: Ernst ]

I believe Revell was originally based in Venice, California and later sold to a German company. Model making was very popular in the States w/children up until 20-25 years ago. After that, video games took over and most model shops here closed. The change in the market makes it all the more unlikely that we will see many new models of passengers/cruise ships. We were lucky to get the 1/600 and 1/400 QM2.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jamaica Jeff
First Class Passenger
Member # 2487

posted 03-03-2006 10:50 PM      Profile for Jamaica Jeff     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Check out ebay. There are some cruise ship models that are 40 inches long. I saw a Diamond Princess that looks awswome.
Posts: 287 | From: south jersey | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
elad
First Class Passenger
Member # 5150

posted 03-04-2006 10:12 AM      Profile for elad   Email elad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
check in squadron models - they usually have good price i ordered there 1:600 Aifix Canberra - now this kit is no more available there - but you still can find it on other sites.
maybe you should try to make somthing of your own - a scrach built model - its fun to design your own ship.
my scrach built model:

some other kits i have:

any way goodluck!

Elad

Posts: 747 | From: israel | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-04-2006 08:52 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You do get what you pay for. Germany company: www.classic-ships.de are great, but not exactly cheap!

[ 03-04-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
elad
First Class Passenger
Member # 5150

posted 03-05-2006 05:10 AM      Profile for elad   Email elad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
You do get what you pay for. Germany company: www.classic-ships.de are great, but not exactly cheap

its shame that ther arnt some 1:600 or 1:400 passenger ships models, 1:250 models are too small to my opinion.

Elad

Posts: 747 | From: israel | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 03-05-2006 11:25 AM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
You do get what you pay for. Germany company: www.classic-ships.de are great, but not exactly cheap!

[ 03-04-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

They are absolutely beautiful models. So detailed they look like real ships. But they are very expensive.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-05-2006 11:47 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, the URL is www.classic-ship.de , I added an 's'.

[ 03-05-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Cheren
First Class Passenger
Member # 1531

posted 11-21-2011 06:39 PM      Profile for Cheren   Author's Homepage   Email Cheren   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
is it too late to suggest also ARTENAUTICA 1:1250 waterline ship models made in Italy?
Posts: 67 | From: Rome,Italy,Europe | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.