- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Number of cruises? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Number of cruises?
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 04-19-2006 06:09 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't beleive I've ever seen the number of cruises that have been taken by posters on this site.
So let me start with our 16 so far.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 04-19-2006 07:54 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just completed #46 on HAL's Noordam - all my cruises have been with HAL and NO, I don't want to try another line. I am very happy to stick with HAL and know that I will be well taken care of.

On this last cruise, I came down with a severe URI and had to stay in bed for 2 days. The crew couldn't have been more wonderful looking after me and making sure I had everything I wanted. I feel "safe" when I travel alone on HAL ships.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 04-19-2006 08:07 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
None - yet! Should have my foot on the ladder in October and can't wait!
Posts: 2023 | From: Hythe, Hants | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
RANGERVR6178
First Class Passenger
Member # 3946

posted 04-19-2006 09:12 PM      Profile for RANGERVR6178   Email RANGERVR6178   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
16... well 17 if you count the day I spend on the Queen Mary II!

I have a press trip planned on the Freedom of the Seas, and then after I will be working for Carnival (starting on the Triumph) this June.

Posts: 243 | From: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-19-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
26 - we can of course start an endless dicussion what counts as cruise.....I would prefere the term 'travelling by ship' in some cases.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 04-19-2006 09:48 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Patsy wrote:
None - yet! Should have my foot on the ladder in October and can't wait!

Patsy, I'm only slightly better than you having done one cruise so far. Though technically speaking, I have been on liners four times before that. Young kids have precluded me from cruising yearly since that first cruise in 2002, but as soon as they are old enough I'm hitting the ocean again (with my wife of course).

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
andrews
First Class Passenger
Member # 6414

posted 04-19-2006 09:53 PM      Profile for andrews     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been on 6 cruises so far, plus I've spent about 20 minutes on board the Oriana when it was in port - guess I can't count that!! I worked for P&O in the Auckland office at the time.
Posts: 28 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 04-20-2006 11:58 AM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Over 150 - around 180 I think..... and 42 ships.
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerry
First Class Passenger
Member # 168

posted 04-20-2006 12:08 PM      Profile for Gerry     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Between 400- 600 but does working on the ships count?
Posts: 315 | From: Miami, Florida, (originally from UK) | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 04-20-2006 12:14 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL.. Gerry.. that's cheating! I would say one could only count those cruises/voyages/crossings that have been taken as a fare paying passenger, not TA freebies either. I would also perhaps add those passages of a duration longer than 2 nights, and not 'cruises' to nowhere.. but others would argue on that I expect.

I have done around 20? with only one vessel having been repeated.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 04-20-2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Between 400- 600 but does working on the ships count?

My cruise count is also between 500-600 cruises, but most of them from working on board. As a fare-paying passenger, about 120 cruises on 90+ ships.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-20-2006 12:27 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
[...] I would also perhaps add those passages of a duration longer than 2 nights, and not 'cruises' to nowhere.. but others would argue on that I expect.
[...]

This is where it is getting difficult: What is a cruise? I did not include all these one or two night short 'cruises" on ferries - altough already comparabe to a short cruise in some cases.
Also, how do you count long cruises which are also sold in segments? Is a world cruise one or several cruises? Or do several cruises in a row on one ship count as one? (...correcting the number Gerry posted... )
What about crossings - some her would insist that a crossing on the QE2 or even QM2 it is not a cruise - or cargo ships? Is the Hurtigruten journey a cruise?

mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 04-20-2006 12:35 PM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have counted crossings, anything longer than three nights on a PROPER ship, not a ferry and I only counted my World Cruise as one.
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 04-20-2006 12:39 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It also gets complicated counting the number of ships--for example I've sailed on STATENDAM, RHAPSODY and REGENT STAR: same vessel, 3 different names and owners. Does that count as 1 ship or 3? Also been on dozens of ships having 2 names: ROTTERDAM & REMBRANDT, ROYALE & SEABREEZE, etc.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-20-2006 12:41 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mec1:
I have counted crossings, anything longer than three nights on a PROPER ship, not a ferry and I only counted my World Cruise as one.

Sounds reasonable (I did the same - I just do not yet have a world cruise to be considered ) - I guess we should stay with this "rule" and enjoy the endless discussion on the exceptions.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-20-2006 12:43 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:
It also gets complicated counting the number of ships--for example I've sailed on STATENDAM, RHAPSODY and REGENT STAR: same vessel, 3 different names and owners. Does that count as 1 ship or 3? Also been on dozens of ships having 2 names: ROTTERDAM & REMBRANDT, ROYALE & SEABREEZE, etc.

Rich

A ship stays the same ship even if the name is changed. I would say it counts as one ship. (Following this line one could count nearly every ship several times as ships are constantly rebuilt and modified)

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 04-20-2006 01:15 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
27 so far with two more booked for 06.

Gordon

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 04-20-2006 01:45 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow! some big numbers here,but I would have to say a cruise is one where you pay a passenger fare for 3 days up to a world type cruise on a typical cruise line. Even the same ship or renamed ship counts.
I didn't include military ships in my count of which I have 2 (USS Ranger and USS Yorktown) 7 months each to the Far East.--Carriers.These Don't count.
I can see why we are able to help out for those who are new to the cruise scene. That's what I like about this site. No matter how many you have been on there is aways something new to learn.
Frosty 4

Dave the Wave
First Class Passenger
Member # 3813

posted 04-20-2006 02:18 PM      Profile for Dave the Wave   Email Dave the Wave   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Going on #13 this May 22 on Enchantment again and in Nov 2 another Enchantment will be #14. That will make 11 on RCI and one Big Red Boat, one Sensation (sucked) and the stately Regal Empress.
Posts: 211 | From: St.Pete, Florida | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 04-20-2006 02:57 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A regrettably pathetic 4. That's what happens in a single-income household.
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-20-2006 03:05 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BigUFan:
A regrettably pathetic 4. That's what happens in a single-income household.

But Rick Santorum and the like think wives should stay at home.

I log in 13

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 04-20-2006 03:10 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We are working on #5....I think.
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 04-20-2006 05:07 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can passages on troopships count? Some were almost like a cruise. The South Pacific, warm tropical breezes, the lovely girls who were part of the "Oklahoma" USO show, going to Hollandia?

No air conditioning though, a bit sticky.

But strangely enough. fun!

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 04-20-2006 05:14 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have been on 18 cruises and I have two planned this year!
Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 04-20-2006 05:40 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cam,
Nope, I'm afraid troop ships don't make the grade as you literally got paid ( military)to be there as little that may have been. I can remember the heat on the Yorktown and the Ranger even though the Ranger had AC-- when it was working. Our compartment was right below the flight deck. It tended to be hot and noisy as it was right below the arresting gear cabling. You could hear each landing as the tail hook hit the deck and the cable being pulled out and retracted.--Enough sea stories!!!
Frosty 4

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.