- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Carnival cruise ship to house cricket fans

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carnival cruise ship to house cricket fans
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 05-05-2006 10:44 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cruise ship to house cricket fans
Janet Silvera, Gleaner Writer
WESTERN BUREAU:
May 5, 2006

IN ADDITION to the 500 home-stay rooms needed for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007, a cruise ship will house over 3,000 fans attending the event's opening ceremony and warm-up games in Trelawny and Kingston respectively.

The floating four-star hotel, which originates in Miami, Florida, will dock at the Montego Freeport Cruise Ship Pier on March 4 and remain in the tourism capital for three days, before making Kingston Harbour its home for two-and-a-half weeks. This was revealed by Nigel Pagan, chairman of Caribbean Synergy Inc. (CIS), the company spearheading the venture.

Mr. Pagan will meet with Carnival Cruise Line in Miami, Florida, today to finalise ongoing negotiations.

"We have been working on this project since December 2004, and this is a dream we hope to realise," he told The Gleaner.

In the meantime, CSI's director, Peter Green, has confirmed that more than half the ship is already booked and several requests have been coming in from official travel agencies affiliated with the event.

The bookings are being made by Jamaicans in the diaspora and the Pakistanis, "And we have word that requests are coming in from the Irish."

COMPETITIVE RATES

The rates being offered by CSI range between US$360-$520 per cabin all-inclusive, 20 per cent less than the rates being bandied about for hotel rooms in the region. According to recent reports, the region's hoteliers have been asking for US$600-$900 per room.

CSI said its decision to introduce the water-based accommodation is a result of the current shortage of rooms to accommodate cricket fans during the period. The company said it has based its efforts on the 30,000 visitors that attended the last World Cup in South Africa.

Some 100,000 fans are estimated to visit the region throughout the 2007 games.

Jamaica Gleaner

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Linerdan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4719

posted 05-05-2006 06:30 PM      Profile for Linerdan   Email Linerdan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would imagne a daily program of the ships events would look something like this:

7am:1st innings Breakfast served.

8am:2nd innings breakfast served.

9am : Deck run and warm-up.

10am: Tea break/ drinks.

11am : Practise bowling on the Prom/deck.

12noon:1st innings lunch.

1pm:2nd innings lunch.

2pm : Deck match between Crew and passengers

3pm:Tea break/drinks.

4pm:How to use your mobile phone to find dates

5pm:The history of streaking in a match.

6pm : (Bad light)All inside for movie "Bodyline".

8pm: A complete wrap-up of todays events
broadcasted from the show lounge.

9pm:lights out and coaches will be checking.

[ 05-05-2006: Message edited by: Linerdan ]

Posts: 397 | From: Australia.....NSW......Jervis Bay | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 05-06-2006 01:05 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerdan:
I would imagne a daily program of the ships events would look something like this:

7am:1st innings Breakfast served.

8am:2nd innings breakfast served.

You forgot something very important for world cup cricket. A 3-hour seminar on the Duckworth-Lewis method to recalculate scores in rain-shortened matches. If RSA had done their calculations correctly in their match against Sri Lanka at Durban in 2003 they would have won the match (instead of just gaining a tie) and would have advanced to the next round instead of being eliminated.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 05-06-2006 04:30 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are actually cricket fans !!??
Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Salaison
First Class Passenger
Member # 4722

posted 05-06-2006 04:17 PM      Profile for Salaison   Email Salaison   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What are you trying to Imply with that statement??? Pascal!!
Posts: 444 | From: St. Lucia--The Sleeping Leviathan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-06-2006 04:24 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pascal:
There are actually cricket fans !!??

I am actually always surprise to see that people are interested in watching sports....

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 05-06-2006 04:38 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

I am actually always surprise to see that people are interested in watching sports....

...to the point many cruise ships have SPORTS BARS.

I have also seen NASCAR cruises and Super Bowl cruises!

You can go on a cruise and still wont miss the big game either!

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-06-2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I only had two 'expieriences' related to a sports event on a ship. On the Club Med 1 the captain stopped the vessel and let her 'drift around' in a bay to have better reception for the final game of the soccer world championship. ('back then" she relied on terrestrial TV)
The other one was on a Hurtigruten ship where someone decided to share the radio live coverage of an event at Olympic games in Lillehammer with everyone else on the ship and the village we just approache by putting it on the public annoucement system.

Linerdan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4719

posted 05-06-2006 04:53 PM      Profile for Linerdan   Email Linerdan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

I guess they are dumbfounded on why we would race down to a pier on a cold and wet morning just to take some photos of a boat

Posts: 397 | From: Australia.....NSW......Jervis Bay | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-06-2006 04:59 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I guess they are dumbfounded on why we would race down to a pier on a cold and wet morning just to take some photos of a boat

Oh, I am absolutely sure about that. I guess most consider this as crazy.

Of course we do more 'sports' taking pictures of ships or taking picutres while being on ships that couch potaotoes have while watching sport on TV.

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 05-07-2006 03:35 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Brian_O wrote:
You forgot something very important for world cup cricket. A 3-hour seminar on the Duckworth-Lewis method to recalculate scores in rain-shortened matches.

Bet you a few people here are stumped!

Cheers

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 05-07-2006 03:52 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To those who don’t know cricket, if you think the people who will book this ship will spend their time onboard watching the matches in a sports bar, you are wrong. The only thing they'll be doing in the ships’ bar is having after-match beers, which follows the bulk of the beer drinking at the ground.

Cheers

buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 05-07-2006 04:23 AM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi there... and auch fuer Ernst ja!

there are indeed cricket fans here

just simply said.. cricket is the king of sports although it may take foreigners some time to get
into it...

and i watch cruiseships passing by as well

how strange

b.Joe

Posts: 366 | From: De Goorn, small village in The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 05-07-2006 04:40 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salaison :
What are you trying to Imply with that statement??? Pascal!!

Let's say that a curling fans cruise would seem to me more likely... But, I don't know, cricket may be quite popular in some countries, I forgot it was a olympic sport. The fact is I really don't know anything about this sport... Sorry if I offended cricket fans.

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 05-07-2006 12:14 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
buddhaJoe wrote:
...and i watch cruiseships passing by as well

how strange

Now, where is this spot they play cricket and you see cruise ships as well?

Cheers

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 05-07-2006 12:20 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Pascal wrote:
...I forgot it was a olympic sport.

Well if it was the Aussies would know about it!

quote:
The fact is I really don't know anything about this sport... Sorry if I offended cricket fans.

No offense taken Pascal. You probably pick it up on satellite there in France. Maybe you should watch some...you might get bored and fall asleep!

Cheers

Linerdan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4719

posted 05-07-2006 05:51 PM      Profile for Linerdan   Email Linerdan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A little Off topic: Shane warne court with his pants down again (and i mean pants down and just in undies) in a hotel room with 2 models.News of the world has video footage of the cricket star prancing around with 2 bottles of champage in his hand.I guess us Aussie fans/non fans will see it in this weeks Womans day/New idea ect again and again

[ 05-07-2006: Message edited by: Linerdan ]

Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 05-07-2006 06:19 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
A little Off topic: Shane warn court with his pants down again (and i mean pants down and just in undies) in a hotel room with 2 models.News of the world has video footage of the cricket star prancing around with 2 bottles of champage in his hand.I guess us Aussie fans/non fans will see it in this weeks Womans day/New idea ect again and again

A little off-topic. Good old Shame (misspelling intentional) has retired from ODI cricket (aka pajama cricket) and will not be playing in the World Cup. In any event, the only real cricket is Test Cricket.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 05-08-2006 09:14 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Brian_O:
In any event, the only real cricket is Test Cricket.

Adventurous play and big hitting - a carry-on from the one-dayers - has changed the philosophy of Test Cricket. Not something purists agree about, but good for entertainment, the administrators and the record books.

Cheers

sunniebgi
First Class Passenger
Member # 2513

posted 05-11-2006 10:02 AM      Profile for sunniebgi   Email sunniebgi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well I like Linerdan's day in the life of a cricket ship.. sounds like fun..

Not a huge fan of cricket.. nor do I understand much of the game..but living in the Caribbean I have to at least put up with it.

It's great that the cruiselines are helping out the island (and at the same time their own pockets). While this is going to be a big event in April 2007, there are not enough "beds" on the islands to accommodate all the fans expected.. Hotels are scrambling to add new rooms.. and fix up exsisting space.. Should be interesting..

and shame should know better.. oh well.. men.. sorry..

Posts: 11 | From: Barbados | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 05-11-2006 06:07 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL thats funny, hey did they say which Carnival vessel it would be or that is still on going?....i figure it would be a Conquest class vessel though
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 05-11-2006 06:16 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunniebgi:
well I like Linerdan's day in the life of a cricket ship.. sounds like fun..

Not a huge fan of cricket.. nor do I understand much of the game..but living in the Caribbean I have to at least put up with it.

It's great that the cruiselines are helping out the island (and at the same time their own pockets). While this is going to be a big event in April 2007, there are not enough "beds" on the islands to accommodate all the fans expected.. Hotels are scrambling to add new rooms.. and fix up exsisting space.. Should be interesting..

and shame should know better.. oh well.. men.. sorry..

well well well, i didnt really know that there was someperson registered on Cruise talk that was from Barbados too.... thats great.....which part of BIM are you from ?
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.