- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Solstice Images (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Solstice Images
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 06-19-2007 05:52 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Official Solstice images (artists impressions) here:

[ 06-19-2007: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-19-2007 05:57 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot. The glass above the bridge looks very interesting - but it is also very difficult to call this a beautiful ship.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 06-19-2007 08:34 AM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it looks nice, very architectural, but I hope they add the regular Blue Celebrity livery, I'll wait till I see the finalized product to judge the design.
Thanks for the pics Tom.

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
rd77
First Class Passenger
Member # 2117

posted 06-19-2007 08:53 AM      Profile for rd77   Email rd77   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Weird looking vessel! Indeed it doesn't win any beauty contests. The Millennium class is almost good looking compared to this.
Posts: 1037 | From: The Hague, Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 06-19-2007 09:14 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unfortunate funnel design; they appear too small and weak. Better if they were built larger, as on HAL's Vista Class, or somehow combined into one larger structure. I wonder (and hope) that this design could be tweaked before the finished product appears.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 06-19-2007 09:22 AM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes they do need to add the livery. Looks like an RCI as it is.
Posts: 2023 | From: Hythe, Hants | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 06-19-2007 11:22 AM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pros:

-Cool "X" along the balconies.
-Expansive glass above the bridge; hopefully a great observation space.

Cons:

-Terrible funnels. Celebrity is losing some of their brand identity by not keeping a funnel design reminicent of their earlier ships.
-White livery. I hope this changes, but I fear the curved line in the bow will make the traditional angular livery unworkable.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 06-19-2007 11:23 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am not sure how the current livery will fit this hull though. The name will be in shadow. She is also very dark over all those balconies there is no white bulkhead anywhere to contrast as per the Millie class, and the fwd bulkhead is so minimal it looks quite out of place to me with just as much [or even more] dark glass above the bridge as white below.

She appears 'odd' overall. Those pinpricks have got to have something done to them; sorry but we [or I anyway] need to see a funnel on a cruise ship

The new Celeb brochure arrived the other day; printed prior to anything 'Azamara', so comes with a tiny insert informing one of this new cruiseline.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 06-19-2007 01:31 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was time !
What can I say... She has an interesting appearance even if she's not a beauty. The bow is quite original and reminds me Costa Marina and Allegra in a way. The stern looks awfull (I reserve my definitive judgement as we can't really judge with that rendering) and I would have prefered taller funnels (but I guess there must be bridge clearances involved here).
And what about this very white livery ?

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5115

posted 06-19-2007 01:52 PM      Profile for 6263866   Email 6263866   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The superstructer to bulky for my likings. The rest of the ships is I guess okay, no X on the funnel, kinda disapointed. Hopefully the Celebrity blue will make a difference.
Posts: 580 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 06-19-2007 01:56 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What's with the light blue on the funnels? Is that intentional?

I have a guess about the bow design. The shape is intended to better deflect waves from the superstructure, thus allowing a very minimal foward bulkhead and more balconies.

Can someone with photoshop skills give us a Solsitce with more traditional Celebrity livery?

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 06-19-2007 02:12 PM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hello there,

still difficult to judge, but one thing will probably be clear because of her giant size and height, these
2 poooorly funnels do this design no justice

as they look now they seem to be toys on a
giant ship.....as I compare this to the Disney design
which ofcourse will have to clear same heights
her funnels seems to be better, same thing with her bow, time will tell about her stern, which reveals nothing yet but so far Disney ships looks far better then this Celebrity design

regards
b.Joe

Posts: 366 | From: De Goorn, small village in The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 06-19-2007 02:18 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A very quick and very unprofessional photoshop job of how the "traditional" Celebrity Livery might look on her.

Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-19-2007 02:21 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the bow, reminds me of Canberra, Olympia etc. and has a strong look to it. The funnels as already mentioned are about 50% (or more) to small for the size of the ship. She needs large powerful funnels positioned in a similar manner to Italia's Michelangelo. The Celebrity steel lattice 'X' design would work great on them but w/out that design element the ship could easily be transferred to another division or line. The tall structure above the bridge reminds me of the latest MSC ship but hopefully the end result will not be as unattractive as that ship. The rest appears to be pretty much standard issue Voyager class w/a few changes.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 06-19-2007 04:12 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting design. I dont like the funnels and it seems the X is no longer on the funnel but on the balconies which is cool but the funnels are just not doing it for me. Its a buly looking ship and the front remind me of Carnival's Spirit class and Costa's Atlantica and Mediterrenea. But I look foward to seeing the interior. I am a Celebrity fan and can't wait to sail on her!
Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-19-2007 04:15 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing Tom: She looks like she is made from the left over bits of other ships! More RCI than Celebrity, though. I'm never struck on completely white ship.

The days of judging a ship by her external appearance are over. Today they are all weird at best or just simply ugly.

Still lets not moan, at least she is a completely new design.

[ 06-19-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-19-2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Having two funnels is usually a problem concerning aerodynamics - for this reason one has to make them as small as possible if one decides to have two. The other motivation to have small funnels is to minimize the space lost for the exhaust duct. It is very likely that not (only) the exterior appearance of the vessel played a role in the decision for two funnels.

I also think that the exterior design of a vessel does NOT AT ALL play a role whether a vessel can be moved from one brand to the other - the interior is what counts.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 06-19-2007 04:23 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speaking of the interior here are a few renderings, but I don't have any captions for them..

[ 06-19-2007: Message edited by: Thad ]

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 06-19-2007 06:13 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thad:
[QB]Speaking of the interior here are a few renderings, but I don't have any captions for them..
[QB]

The interior looks really nice, can't wait to see more. I like small funnels, but they should never dissapear. Just add the Celebrity Livery, please.

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
YoShip
First Class Passenger
Member # 6731

posted 06-19-2007 06:22 PM      Profile for YoShip     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anybody got the deckplans to share??

Thanks,
YoShip.

Posts: 32 | From: Zurich | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 06-19-2007 07:12 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love that three level-glass solarium-like pool area...very nice!

Thad, visually, she would look topheavy in the traditional celebrity paint scheme. In all white it gives her hull more height to cope with the mass amount of superstructure.
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-19-2007 07:18 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
Having two funnels is usually a problem concerning aerodynamics - for this reason one has to make them as small as possible if one decides to have two.

I also think that the exterior design of a vessel does NOT AT ALL play a role whether a vessel can be moved from one brand to the other - the interior is what counts.

1st point-if the side of the ship is 15 decks tall I don't think aerodynamics for two funnels is much of an issue-more like the cost to build them is an issue.

2nd, I was referring to the large 'X's on the former Horizon and Zenith. They have been nearly impossible for their new operators to conceal-even w/clever paint tricks the big Chandris 'X' is still. there.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 06-19-2007 11:36 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In terms of deck plans, all that's available now are the levels with staterooms. You can decipher, however, that Solstice Class will have only two elevator towers like Radiance Class, which is unfortunate for those who have aft staterooms.

Also, as was previously speculated, Solstice will have an atrium (replete with glass lifts) running most of the height of the ship. There appear to be no sea-view elevators.

[ 06-19-2007: Message edited by: jsea ]

Posts: 644 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 06-20-2007 12:47 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think shes that ugly. Her funnels and stern are bad though.

Then again after seeing this everything looks beautiful .

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 06-20-2007 02:14 AM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Solstice

Try this link to view deck plans

[ 06-21-2007: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.