- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Carnival Dream video (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Carnival Dream video
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-09-2008 11:40 AM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting video of the Carnvial Dream. Don't know how long this video will be around as I understand that Carnival is not happy that it was leaked out. It also looks much different than the photo on Fincantieri's website. I understand that the monorail idea has been nixed and from looking at this video, it seems that a lot of other designs will not be in the final product like.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1087025/carnival_dream_740m_ship_3d_tour/

[ 02-09-2008: Message edited by: Atlcruiser ]

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 02-09-2008 11:58 AM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks more like Project Pinnacle, doesn't it.

Best,

Raoul

Posts: 775 | From: Paderborn, Germany | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-09-2008 12:01 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was my thought too.
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-09-2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The ship in the video cannot possibly be 130,000grt. Perhaps here is a sneak peak of the Pinnacle Project?

If this is infact Pinnacle, Carnival definitely has updated the designs such as the lifeboat arrangement from SOLSTICE/GENESIS, and the lawn area. The monorail is quite innovative, but I doubt it could happen.

Cruise ship of the future looks very much a true floating resort. It is only a matter of time before Pinnacle becomes a reality

[ 02-09-2008: Message edited by: Waynaro ]

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 02-09-2008 12:26 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OMG, this is the Pinnacle ! It looks really enormous.
Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)
First Class Passenger
Member # 6702

posted 02-09-2008 12:29 PM      Profile for SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)   Email SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IM IN LOOOOOOOVE
Posts: 338 | From: weston super mare | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-09-2008 01:04 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's a 'fake' video by someone who is good with computer Graphics? Alternatively maybe it's just a 'concept' video - so no telling that a ship like it will ever be built.

There are probably a number of 'Pinnacle' concepts. Some aspects in the video did not look very practical to me. If Carnival were worried about it being public it would have been removed by now!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-09-2008 01:19 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The original site that the video was posted has been shut down. Someone loaded it here also. I think that it will be pulled before too long.
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-09-2008 01:22 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How totally cool! What a fantastic find.

I can assure you this is not CARNIVAL DREAM. I wish it was, it would truly give GENESIS a run for it's money.

When then say Carnival "dream", I think they mean a dream ship for Carnival sometime in the future.

I agree with some others that this is one of the prototypes for the Pinnacle Project produced by Fincantieri. I'm sure there are others out there produced by other shipyards when Carnival was seriously considering Pinnacle.

It's a fantastic concept. Unfortunately Carnival has shelved the Pinnacle Project having recently made public their feelings towards mega-mega ships. Basically they currently have no interest, leaving that niche to Royal Caribbean.

It's truly inspiring to see something so utterly fantastic with a Carnival funnel and logo. Anything besides a Destiny/Conquest Class is a real treat these days!

I like how the ship basically looks like an enormous CARNIVAL SPIRIT. I have always loved the Spirit Class, much more so than the dreaded Vista Class!

Ernie

ps - is it possible to download the video so we have it once it's been pulled from the website?

[ 02-09-2008: Message edited by: eroller ]

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-09-2008 02:29 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is indeed a very interesting clip but I guess it is a concept and not a ship that will be built too soon.

I like the detached wheelhouse - one could use that for allowing a wrap around promenade passing behind the wheelhouse - and also the the pools on the wide 'promenades' are a good idea.

The monorail is interesting - though I would like to know how people get out there in case of an emergency. BTW - did you notice what has not been show? The separations between the balconies are missing - seems as if the people who made this clip believe that they spoil the exterior appearance.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-09-2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
How totally cool! What a fantastic find.

ps - is it possible to download the video so we have it once it's been pulled from the website?

Ernie, I found the link this morning over on the CC Carnival board. Now the entire thread is gone "again". Someone does not want this up. Some on that thread think that they are going to see this ship enter service next year. They are in for a surprise. I tried to download is also but had no luck. If anyone can figure out please let us know.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-09-2008 02:43 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a 21.4mb .flv file, safely squirreled away.

My thoughts.. a fantastic land resort, but I do not want to go to sea on this, as I think it would be terrible being in port and disembarking for the day etc. I love the monorail, the observation lounge, the presumably open area above the bridge, the idea of the lazy river and pools along the sidea [I could not see if people could walk along the boat deck as well the the monorail being there?].. brings a new answer to 'does this lift take you to the front of the ship? ]

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 02-09-2008 02:44 PM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie,

try http://keepvid.com to download the video.

Best,

Raoul

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-09-2008 02:56 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great site! Thanks, that would have saved me from what was a quite long winded way around getting it!

Pam

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-09-2008 03:04 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam, did it work for you? I could not get it to download properly.
buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 02-09-2008 03:17 PM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi there

well it's quiet an interesting concept. or shall I say study..

i agree with someone who said, it's more and more looking like a floating resort and do not have a personal wish to go at any time

but those who said Carnival have no imagination...
hmm i'm not too sure about that, but fact is that untill the future proves me wrong Carnival have not
decided such a bold project and have chosen so far the safe and well known direction.

size wize to me it's more looking like a 250.000 GT "ship".

best regards
b. Joe

Posts: 366 | From: De Goorn, small village in The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-09-2008 03:35 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by r.fiebig:
Ernie,

try http://keepvid.com to download the video.

Best,

Raoul

Raoul,
Thanks for the site. I think I have successfully downloaded the video to my computer, I just can't play it. I am asked what application to open the file with, and I have tried Quicktime and Windows Media Player but each time I am told the file type is not recognized. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ernie

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-09-2008 03:54 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atlcruiser:

Ernie, I found the link this morning over on the CC Carnival board. Now the entire thread is gone "again". Someone does not want this up. Some on that thread think that they are going to see this ship enter service next year. They are in for a surprise. I tried to download is also but had no luck. If anyone can figure out please let us know.

Interesting that CC keeps deleting the thread. How does posting a link to a possible future Carnival cruise ship violate any of their posting rules? Sure makes you wonder just how "in bed" they are with the cruise lines.

Ernie

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-09-2008 04:08 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it is something that has been leaked by a disgruntled employee of any of the companies involved. It could also possibly be something for a SIM game, like Cruise Ship Tycoon.

You need an flv player to watch it Ernie. I use this, but it is windows only, you may have to search for a mac version or similar. There are some convertors about too, but I haven't used one.

Pam

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 02-09-2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

Interesting that CC keeps deleting the thread. How does posting a link to a possible future Carnival cruise ship violate any of their posting rules? Sure makes you wonder just how "in bed" they are with the cruise lines.

Ernie

It has nothing to do with them being "in bed" with CC. Posting it is a violation of their terms of use concerning copyrighted material. That video is copyrighted, was never in the public domain and is considered an asset of Fincantieri and/or Carnival Corp.

Thus, they have every right to request that the thread be deleted.

Ernie - the video will also play with REAL Player.

It is a great video though!

Tim

[ 02-09-2008: Message edited by: Tim in 'Lauderdale ]

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-09-2008 04:27 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...I assume the grass and palm tress on the deck are real?
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 02-09-2008 04:36 PM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernie,

Media Player Classic plays it without problems. That software is also available for Windows only, however.

Best,

Raoul

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-09-2008 04:37 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim in 'Lauderdale:

It has nothing to do with them being "in bed" with CC. Posting it is a violation of their terms of use concerning copyrighted material. That video is copyrighted, was never in the public domain and is considered an asset of Fincantieri and/or Carnival Corp.

Thus, they have every right to request that the thread be deleted.

Ernie - the video will also play with REAL Player.

It is a great video though!

Tim

[ 02-09-2008: Message edited by: Tim in 'Lauderdale ]

Tim,
I don't believe anyone on CC ever posted a copy of the video. Just a link to the website that is hosting the video. I don't believe there is any violation in posting a link to a public domain website, and then having a discussion about it. That is exactly what we are doing here on CT. If Carnival has a problem with it, I suggest they take it up with the site that is hosting the video, not CC.

Many things are copyrighted, but the bottom line is things appear on the internet with or without authorization. It's too big and too difficult to control. Carnival and Fincantieri should have been more careful to whom they released the video to.

Bottom line, it's out there now. Might as well be public domain at this point.

Ernie

ps - thanks for the advise about Real Player. I downloaded the latest version and it works great!

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-09-2008 04:55 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is of course another copyright violation. The ideal for pool area has very clearly been stolen from this movie.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-09-2008 04:57 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Perhaps it is something that has been leaked by a disgruntled employee of any of the companies involved. It could also possibly be something for a SIM game, like Cruise Ship Tycoon.

Pam

Pam,
I don't think it's a game as it was produced by Fincantieri. Also, there are many aspects to the design of the ship that have been hinted at with Project Pinnacle in the past. In addition the music is the same that was used for Carnival's last advertising campaign.

The primary design aspect that was hinted at with Pinnacle is that the ship would be a very large hull with a flat platform on top (like an aircraft carrier). On top of that platform would be the accommodation towers. Essentially that is what we see with this video. This explains the wide promenades at the bottom of the accommodation tower that is large enough for pools, etc. It really reminds me of Phoenix World City that was Kloster's vision so many years ago. The difference is that the accommodation is in one large tower rather than three or four, but the concept is very much the same.

It really was fascinating to watch the video. It's not very often us layman are privy to closely guarded concept projects.

RCI is doing a fine job keeping GENESIS under wraps, and this is a ship where plans are pretty much finalized and construction has begun. Carnival can't be too happy about the leak. I hope it wasn't Vicky Freed that leaked it! Just kidding.

Ernie

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.