- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » SKY WONDER laid up (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: SKY WONDER laid up
ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 12-15-2008 11:09 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pullmantur's SKY WONDER has reportedly been laid up in Eleusis. Two other steamships, MAXIM GORKIY and IVORY are anchored close by.

Between 5 April and 20 September, she is due to sail every week from Lisbon to Gibraltar, Casablanca, Agadir, Lanzarote and Funchal, with one sea day. I hope this programme goes ahead as scheduled.

Tony

Posts: 948 | From: gibraltar | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
cruceromania
First Class Passenger
Member # 5195

posted 12-15-2008 12:23 PM      Profile for cruceromania   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahrpd:
Between 5 April and 20 September, she is due to sail every week from Lisbon to Gibraltar, Casablanca, Agadir, Lanzarote and Funchal, with one sea day. I hope this programme goes ahead as scheduled.

Tony

Where can we see that programme?

Posts: 91 | From: Spain | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 12-15-2008 12:42 PM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know where or how these cruises are being marketed in Spain. This information was received when Pullmantur made berth reservations for the ship's call at Gibraltar every week during this period.

Tony

Anders
First Class Passenger
Member # 6373

posted 12-15-2008 01:05 PM      Profile for Anders        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahrpd:
Pullmantur's SKY WONDER has reportedly been laid up in Eleusis. Two other steamships, MAXIM GORKIY and IVORY are anchored close by.

Tony

Let's hope 2009 won't bring about the end for this collection of steam-powered cruise ships.

With the new additions to the Pullmantur fleet, I fear for the future of OCEANIC and SKY WONDER as they are the only steam-powered vessels in the Royal Caribbean group.

Interestingly, next year's itinerary for SKY WONDER has yet to appear on the Pullmantur Cruises website.

Posts: 258 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-15-2008 02:33 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder what the are chances for the 24-year-old Sky Wonder (ex Fairsky) being re-engined?

Sadly the still stunning ss Oceanic is nearing the end of her commercial service even though she is apparently in excellent operating condition but Sky Wonder has another 10-years of life left in her.

[ 12-15-2008: Message edited by: lasuvidaboy ]

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 12-15-2008 06:22 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With the hull corrosion that was found while Sky Wonder was operated by P & O Australia I would not think she would be re- engined.
Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 12-16-2008 01:01 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not surprising, she is more expensive to operate than say Sovereign whihch is bigger etc. As Neil pointed out she does have other issues which I suspect have been made good without nessersarily eliminating the problem permanently.

I spent 9 months total on her, not my favourite I'm afraid and from the pax point of view the lack of certain basics in her design do not nessersarily endear her.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 12-16-2008 01:02 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is happening with their Mexican venture which is where she was supposed to go to ?
ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 12-16-2008 05:51 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
What is happening with their Mexican venture which is where she was supposed to go to ?

Pullmantur originally planned to deploy OCEAN DREAM out of Acapulco, but later switched to SKY WONDER. These plans were again changed with the former now their year-round Caribbean ship, while the latter is due to begin a new programme from Lisbon as I indicated earlier on this thread. As far as I'm aware, no ship is now being sent to Mexico. With Pullmantur, however, you never can tell!

Tony

gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 12-17-2008 12:54 AM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Would it take alot to make Oceanic SOLAS compliant in 2010? And what about Sky Wonder. I have a question if a ship operates within one country such as Australia,Canada or the USA,etc do the SOLAS rules still apply the same!
Posts: 865 | From: Grande Prairie,Alberta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 12-17-2008 12:56 AM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Also would Sky Wonder be more efficent on short cruises vs long?
Slazy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4089

posted 12-17-2008 01:53 AM      Profile for Slazy   Email Slazy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The SOLAS rukes apply to any ship making an international voyage regardless of where the ship operates. The only exception to this is for domestic travel within a certain country, such as operation within Australia. The only situation I am not sure about is the flag-state of the vessel and the port-state of the country being visited being different.

My experience is with US flagged vessels primarily sailing in US waters. One vessel makes a nearly 40-hour transit of Canadian water twice weekly, but since no stop is made in Canada, the ship is not required to be SOLAS compliant. Other ships, which stop in Canada are required to be SOLAS compliant even if the time in Canadian waters is much less (around 6 hours each way from Alaska to Prince Rupert).

A SOLAS ship is not necessarily safer than a non-SOLAS ship. The SOLAS regulations are very complex and difficult to interpret.

Troy Jorgens
Ketchikan, Alaska

Posts: 14 | From: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 12-17-2008 10:08 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course to complete domestic voyages they would still have to comply with the local safety laws which are normally updated to SOLAS standards. Very often there will be issues about duty free, crewing, unions, flagging etc that would also then apply.

For instance the US has its Jones Act, the EU has some regs and I would think Aussie and indeed most countries do to.

Actually Sky Wonder would not really be that good for short voyages as she would still need a refit - she has no lido/buffet restaurant for instance - just 2 outdoor serveries/grills on deck 7 and 9 aft. And it would still not make her cheaper to run.

origo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1852

posted 12-18-2008 05:54 AM      Profile for origo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
” A SOLAS ship is not necessarily safer than a non-SOLAS ship. The SOLAS regulations are very complex and difficult to interpret”

I’m not sure about your background but I cannot in any way feel that SOLAS is difficult to interpret.
I would say that a SOLAS ship 999 times of 1000 is safer than a non-SOLAS ship, the only reason to have a non-SOLAS ship is that you not can reach the standards.
Unfortunately has some countries (US) lower safety standard for US flagged ships in domestic trade than SOLAS, a shame that makes that US loose al credibility when it comes to shipping.

Posts: 40 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 12-21-2008 02:39 PM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So in reality you could Sail the Oceanic permanently out of Australia year round and not have to worry about SOLAS regs. Im not sure if it would cost a lot to make her compliant!
gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 12-21-2008 02:43 PM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sky Wonder did very well on the West Coast of North America all the years she did Alaska in the summers and Mexican Riviera in the winters for Princess and Sitmar. I wonder why Pullmantur would not use her for Their Mexican program she would do very well!
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 12-22-2008 01:09 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is it not the case they have dumped the idea of a Mexican programme.
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 12-22-2008 01:31 AM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All this talk about SOLAS is irrelevant as both OCEANIC and SKY WONDER are already compliant with all foreseeable SOLAS regs anyway. I know 2009 is OCEANIC's last season for Pullmantur and I am sure it would like to get rid of SKY WONDER soon as well, and given the apparent free-fall in the Spanish market one wonders if Pullmantur needs the capacity of either of these ships, but they certainly aren't going to be banned from the seas any time soon.

I rather wish Imperial Majesty had bought OCEANIC to replace REGAL EMPRESS - she would make a fine ship for them I think and it would be lovely to see her on US shores again. Instead we get an ungainly-looking 1980s ex-Baltic ferry.

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 12-22-2008 08:58 PM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would think Oceanic would find a new home after '09, Sure she is a steamship but I believe she has been quite efficent in terms of operating. Its good to know Oceanic and Sky Wonder meet Solas regs.
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 12-22-2008 09:52 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gpcruisedude:
I would think Oceanic would find a new home after '09, Sure she is a steamship but I believe she has been quite efficent in terms of operating.
It's true that she has been quite efficient but I'm not really sure anyone is looking to buy a ship at the moment.

mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 12-23-2008 12:17 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard that Oceanic is operating at well below her rated speed etc to avoid any stress on her machinery, she is after all getting on a bit. She is always going to be more expensive to operate regardless of how efficient she is as opposed to a diesel, I suppose that is likely the reason Sky Wonder was laid up as opposed to say Ocean Dream ?

Her design simply needs more crew to operate her etc. Any commercial operator looking for a ship is likely to buy a more modern cheaper to operate vessel - especially in todays market.

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 12-23-2008 11:14 AM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gpcruisedude:
Sky Wonder did very well on the West Coast of North America all the years she did Alaska in the summers and Mexican Riviera in the winters for Princess and Sitmar. I wonder why Pullmantur would not use her for Their Mexican program she would do very well!

No you could not as without SOLAS compliance, the ship will not be able to obtain class and thus not obtain insurance.

The AU reference is also incorrect as all nations that belong to the UN abide by SOLAS regs.

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 12-23-2008 11:21 AM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One of the main reasons that these ships will all very quickly be retired, SOLAS notwihstanding, is that they are exponentially more costly to operate.

Not only is steam propulsion fuel-hungry, it costs more man them as they require more men overall, steam is now a specialty and it is hard to find qualified engineers and more importantly, costly break-downs.

Parts for these propulsion plants must be custom made whether they are turbine blades, boiler tubes, etc. So repairs can be costly and time-consuming.

Even older diesel-driven ships are on their way out, DISCOVERY is a prime example of it taking months and months to machine the parts. It is also very tought to rotate crew in and out of these ships, Orient Lines found it very tough to rotate any engineers between MPO and Crown Odyssey due to the vast age difference.

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 12-23-2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that Sky wonder had many more breakdowns than Oceanic, at least hers were not so widely known.

On my cruise in 200' on Oceanic, it was clear she was not sailing at topspeed....

Exteriorwise very elegant, interiorwise not so, but a very very pleasant ship to sail on. I hope someone will take her over. I am sure they will enjoy her, more than some anonymous more modern ship.

Anyone planning to take a short cruise onher this summer from Valencia? must be pleasant.

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 12-23-2008 04:27 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
I heard that Oceanic is operating at well below her rated speed etc to avoid any stress on her machinery, she is after all getting on a bit.
I think it has more to do with fuel costs. Apparently her machinery is in very good condition.

But of course old ships are just more expensive to run, period.

With the exception of the three ex-RVL ships with their new engines, I don't think most pre-1980 ships are long for this world. Most of these ships "should" have been scrapped long ago anyway but were kept around by a very strong market that doesn't exist any more.

quote:
Originally posted by Johan:
I think that Sky wonder had many more breakdowns than Oceanic, at least hers were not so widely known.
SKY has been an unreliable ship basically her whole life. With the possible exception of Sitmar she has been a nightmare for everyone who's ever owned her.

OCEANIC has proven much more reliable.

[ 12-23-2008: Message edited by: dougnewman ]

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.