- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » large ship evac (can it really be done?)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: large ship evac (can it really be done?)
rampartpa
First Class Passenger
Member # 28321

posted 10-22-2009 12:43 AM      Profile for rampartpa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ok guys and girls

maybe i am sitting here with just a little to much time on my hands wondering things

to keep it fare pick your favorite large ship over 100,000 tones carnival dream, conquest, norwegian epic, rccl voyager, freedom, oasis
princess grand class, costa conquest class, you pick
nobody over 100,000 tones is excluded.

now i know they run countless computer models whereby several thousand orderly little dots file out of a "ship" into lifeboats and voila everybody' is going home happy and safe.

but in the real world has anybody actually run a real test, with real people, some more familiar some less familiar with the ship. some more mobile some less mobile, on the moving sea
to see if in this day of mega ships it actually really possible to get 4000-50000 passengers and crew safely off a mega ship into lifeboats, in the 30 minutes required by maritime law.

i wonder this because, i wonder if we are witnessing
the making of a tragedy unfold before our very eyes, as the ships get bigger, and bigger. the odds are sooner or later there is going to be a major event happen on one of these ships (fire, sinking, terrorist event)

then the lawyers will be screaming, the lawsuits will be flying, and everybody will scream they should have seen this coming and done something to prevent it.

so again i ask can it realistictly be done? or should the maritime laws be changed/updated to reflect todays "real" sized ships

hmmmm
mitch

Posts: 20 | From: usa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 10-22-2009 04:26 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you are asking if you think that these ships can be evacuated (without loss of life) and quickly then I would have to say "No"

In my honest opinion if there was a serious fire, flood, collision or emergency a modern cruise ship will never be evacuated.

Even when a meal is announced the movement through a ships passageway is at snails pace.

The obstacles are:
1. Elderly frail passengers
2. Passengers in wheel chairs
3. Passengers in motor scooters
4. Passengers with walking sticks

This is not being discriminatory to invalidity problems but if one of the above were to stumble in a passageway it could block the exit of hundreds of passengers to safety. A wheel chair or motor scooter that has crashed, no one will get past unless you are prepared to just walk over the top of them.

I am not sure if anyone has heard of this but apparantly in tender ports if the safety officer deems that a passenger in a wheel chair or with a walking stick cant get off the tender at the dock then they cancell tender operations due to saftey concerns in order not to discriminate against these passegers. There are occasions where a normal fit and healthy person can get off a tender when a walking stick person cant. If this is the case they call off tender operations.

I mention this above because invalidity already effects operations of disembarking. The point is if it already is causing problems, it will inevitably be a problem if there was an emergency.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
origo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1852

posted 10-22-2009 06:58 AM      Profile for origo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’m working as Staff Captain on one of the major cruise lines
“if the safety officer deems that a passenger in a wheel chair or with a walking stick cant get off the tender at the dock then they cancell tender operations due to saftey concerns in order not to discriminate against these passengers.”.
This is not correct.
The procedure is that we strongly advice them not to use the tenders due to weather conditions, if they still insist they have to sign a release of liability and that they refuse to follow our directives.
In worse case we would stop disabled, elderly etc but that decision has to be taken by the captain, we can never have legal problems for anything we do for valid safety reasons.
More important, it’s a very valid discussion but it’s not more difficult to evacuate a new 150 000 ton ship than an old 40 000 ton ship. However an old ship with open lifeboats etc would be a nightmare.
But can it be done in 30 minutes? I’m honestly not sure about that on any ship

Posts: 40 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 10-22-2009 07:32 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thats rather interesting because I have known P&O to cancell tender operations on cruises that I have been on, managed to get ashore and did not notice any difficulty in getting off the tender. There were frail and elderly who could not do it. This happened in St. Helena.

Aparantly it happens in St. Peter Port allot and also on the P&O forums they recon this happened on the notorious Ventura Christmas cruise in regards to tender operations.

origo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1852

posted 10-22-2009 06:30 PM      Profile for origo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I cannot answer for P&O but of course what you think is “no problem” could still be considered as to risky.
I would not pay too much trust on different boards where “happy amateurs” spreads rumors.
Instead I would suggest that you address it to the company.
Every time a port is canceled rumors starts to spread, from that we do it to save money/increase revenue to that the captain is incompetent, I can assure you that no cruise line cancel a port if not absolutely necessary.
However when you read the comment cards at lease I think “Why do I work on passenger ships, I’m going to a tanker instead”, luckily something nice always happened right after so I feel “it’s not so bad after all”.

Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 10-22-2009 07:29 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The incident in St. Helena did not personally effect of upset me as I was one of the lucky 200 that got off the ship and did a tour.

On that particular day the sea was calm, no wind and no weather problems and no currents. In fact it was a calm sunny day that and had perfect weather.

When we got to the dock I was able as well as many other able passengers to get off the tender. There were sea wall steps to negotiate and for some reason the boating crew were leaving allot of slack in the lines and not securely roping us to the pier. When it came time for wheel chair bound passengers or walking stick passengers to get off they could not. The stewards on duty refused to lift them and they had to go back to the ship.

For some unknown reason whilst on my tour the Captain canceled tender operations for the rest of the passengers.

In my professional experience from service in the Navy I determined the weather was fine and not a problem and that the frail could not get off possibly due to incompetent boat handling operations where they left too much slack in the lines and the engine from the tenders caused enough backwash to move back and forth from the pier. Had they snugly tied the tender up the frail would have had better chance. (It actually made me suspect that they did not want to scratch the tenders based on how they were docking them)

I should also point out that the 200 of us that got off no one was hurt or injured returning to the ship once the tour was completed hours later.

It may be run different from line to line, but I honestly have seen incompetent handling of tenders and also decisions to cancell tender operations based on the "weather" when the weather was fine.

I am not trying to start an arguement, but this is something I have honestly seen happen first hand, and had the expertise myself to judge the weather for boating operations.

rampartpa
First Class Passenger
Member # 28321

posted 10-22-2009 10:21 PM      Profile for rampartpa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
putting aside the whole open lifeboat vs enclosed
lifeboat thing, as i am not really sure which could be the bigger horror here, spending a few hours baking in the carbbean sun with 150 of your less than happy closest new friends.
or spending a few hours in a hot enclosed lifeboat
with 150 of your less than fresh, less than happy
closest new friends. Bathroom issues aside

now i know the law says "it shall be done"
but realisticly, and for one am not sure it really "can" be done
when a new ship enters us waters the coast guard
boards a ship and has the crew show that they can safely perform such functions as board the lifeboats
and lower them.
the ship is then issued some sort of "operating certifcate" passengers board, the ship sails, everybodys happy.

but what good is that "operating certificate" if when there is an actual emergency the dirty little joke per sey, is that they really can't get everybody safely off the ship in 30 minutes, they know it, the coast guard knows it, the home office knows it. do they all hope joe cruiser never looks past his bucket of beer, and the big screen, and thinks about his, her survival in an actual emergency.

and the operating certificate is little more than high class toilet paper.

Posts: 20 | From: usa | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 10-23-2009 03:49 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It will never happen period. You cant integrate panic, smoke, listing, severe weather into any drill. If the ship was flooding and listing it will cause panic and people fall over and create bottle necks blocking exits. Theres no end to the list of problems that can occur. If theres smoke there will be allot of passengers that wont pass it and they could block a passageway endangering 100's of lives.

You only have to look at the snails pace lines in the restaurants, embarkation/disembarkation or entering and leaving the theatre to realise that you will never evacuate a ship in time.

Most of the bottlenecks and blockages of passageways are caused by stupidity. If you factor in random panic and disaster into the equation its a recipe for disaster.

origo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1852

posted 10-23-2009 07:01 AM      Profile for origo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just to make the roles clear: USCG does not issue any ”operation certificates”.
PSSC (Passenger Ship Safety Certificate) is issued by the class society, for example Lloyds or DNV. What USCG does is a port state control; this should be done according to the Paris convention and is done by all port states (less in countries such as Mexico, more in places such as US or Europe.
A port state control takes about 6 hours to do and shows to be honest nothing. To issue the PSSC is a very complex process that involves the class to be involved both in the entire construction of the vessel, the building and also to be onboard for about 14 days a year to check to operation (including the ISM, ISPS audit).
USCG has, unfortunately not the competence to do anything more that look at the lifeboats and see that they get launched somewhat ok.

Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 11-05-2009 09:58 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I watched a documentary recently which touched on airliner safety, and evacuation procedures. They showed some films of evacuation drills where the 'passengers' lined up obediently and calmly walked through the hatchway and onto the shute - very efficient and totally unrealistic. Then they showed another drill, where they'd altered the instructions. They were offering money to the first N people (out of, say, a total of 2N 'passengers' in the plane) to get onto the ground - this was to give an incentive to get out of the hatch as quickly as possible, and crucially to try and push past passengers in front, or to stop those behind from pushing past. Result: total chaos, but much, much more realistic. And of course the overall evacuation took longer because people were getting jammed in the hatch as they pushed forward, and I believe there were some injuries.

That was an airliner drill; I can't imagine what a real ship evacuation would be like.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 11-05-2009 10:18 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well from all I have read, the evacuation of the US Air flight that landed in the Hudson was as orderly and efficient as the drill you describe. Considering the plane had landed in the river, I would imagine you had some very frightened passengers, yet they were able to get out of the plane and onto the wings very quickly.
Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 11-05-2009 11:02 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, you can have drills and they are a necessity, since TITANIC it's been implemented and larger ships have come into play as it did in the beginning of the last century. However, stop and think of all of the 'new' things being put on a cruise ship. All of the 'must haves' and 'must dos' for a passenger, all of the creature comforts that is being allowed and even more so. Does this not lull a passenger into a false sense of security, that everything is going to be just fine, this ship won't sink...if she catches fire it'll be contained? I do not think that passengers will be ready for a mass evacuation when the time comes and we could hear of an incident similar to TITANIC, not involving an iceberg.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 11-05-2009 05:35 PM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do have to agree with Sutho on one point, the biggest one in fact, if it ever comes down to it there are going to be people hurt and killed.

Let's face fact, I am 6'4, 235lbs, if I brush against someone by accident it normally isn't pretty (so I avoid doing it), however stop and think about the number of people on these mega liners, all trying to get to the boats in one go, someone will get knocked to the ground and unless they are very lucky they will be trampled.

It's a sad thing for sure, though SOLAS has gone part of the way to helping this, there are still bottle necks on all ships.

Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 11-05-2009 05:50 PM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've been in two high rise hotels when evacuation was required because of fires. It is amazing so see what happens in the stairwells. Fok show up with large suitcases, walkers and even scooters. Try and tell younger agile guests that they must stay behind the elderly in the stair towers, who progess downwards at a very slow pace. I saw an elderly couple walking side by side and refusing to go single file and let others pass by. That was on the 26-29 floor. There was no smoke, no rocking and pitching, no darkness and level footing. Imagine on a blacked out ship with plenty of movement, sloping decking and smoke as well. I fear for the worst!! Know where the exits are, know where the muster station is and do your best!!
Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.