- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...It's time to gear up for weekend energy any day of the week. Royal Caribbean International officially welcomed the next big thing in vacations to the family: Utopia of the Seas. A celebration fit for the ultimate short getaway was had in Saint-Nazaire, France, as the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard handed Royal Caribbean the keys to Utopia just five weekends before its July ...

Latest News...The future of elevated travel at sea reached a major milestone today, as construction commenced for Celebrity Cruises' next ship, Celebrity Xcel. The keel laying ceremony at the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France celebrated the momentous occasion for the latest and most elevated vessel in Celebrity's award-winning Edge Series ships. When she sets sail...

Latest News...The newly designed Margaritaville at Sea Islander set sail today on her inaugural voyage, departing from Port Tampa Bay to Cozumel, Mexico, on a four-night journey. The fully reimagined ship spans 12 passenger decks, accommodating up to 2,650 adventure-seeking passengers and offers an array of exciting new dining, entertainment, and island destinations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » OASIS OTS Having A Problem?? Look at the Photos Please

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OASIS OTS Having A Problem?? Look at the Photos Please
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 05-22-2010 06:05 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've just been watching this, never seen this until today...

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)
First Class Passenger
Member # 6702

posted 05-22-2010 06:47 PM      Profile for SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)   Email SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is it????
Posts: 338 | From: weston super mare | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 05-22-2010 06:57 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
my guess: more protective structure for the lifeboats. Remember on her TA, she sustained damage to the forward boat.

Anyone know if that boat has been replaced? its been awhile that she has been sailing sans forward Lifeboat

Posts: 331 | From: West Hollywood | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-22-2010 07:28 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by avalon1025:
my guess: more protective structure for the lifeboats. Remember on her TA, she sustained damage to the forward boat.

Anyone know if that boat has been replaced? its been awhile that she has been sailing sans forward Lifeboat

To my knowledge the lifeboats have never been replaced. Interesting because OASIS has been sailing at over 100% capacity on most cruises so I guess they have enough rafts to compensate. These lifeboats are pretty massive and the two missing carry 740 persons total. I'm not sure what the raft capacity is? Even with the two lifeboats missing, the remaining 16 lifeboats can carry 5920 persons.

OASIS never docks in this direction at Port Everglades (and rarely anywhere else), so I wonder how that effected disembarkation and embarkation? Also, she is not scheduled to depart until 9pm tonight I imagine so the work can be completed.

One other interesting tidbit, looking at construction pictures of ALLURE I don't see any modifications in this area.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Magic Pipe
First Class Passenger
Member # 6994

posted 05-22-2010 08:54 PM      Profile for Magic Pipe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This certainly looks like added protection from spray. From what I understand, the forwardmost lifeboats on the Oasis are being replaced with a monohull boat that is better able to deflect spray coming at it from below.
Posts: 213 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 05-22-2010 09:10 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As mentioned the first lifeboat on each side will become a more traditional mono hull design to split waves in half to protect the rest of the lifeboats. These new lifeboats are supposed to be ready about now. This new enhanced water reflection system seems to be a change from the original plan as it was never mentioned in January, only the boat change and davit repairs were.

They are kind of interesting. I'm not sure how they are supposed to work though. It seems like the lines created by the new reflector don't flow with the ones created by the hull and existing reflector. It also seems to cover a much larger area than the lifeboats require. Maybe once it's all done it will make more sense, hard to tell much at this stage in construction.

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 05-23-2010 12:57 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder why Norwegian Epic doesn't have a similar type of wave deflection system forward since her lifeboats extend out so far?
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 05-23-2010 01:16 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
I wonder why Norwegian Epic doesn't have a similar type of wave deflection system forward since her lifeboats extend out so far?

That's something that I've been wondering since the day they first released her concept art. The Oasis has always had her (now known to be) small reflectors since the original 3D concept art was released and many have commented on their appearance and necessity but the Epic never had them. My guess is that unlike RCCL who did extensive testing for Oasis, NCL was in such turmoil that they may have just been trying to get this thing together to be built before they lost more money and never realized it could be a problem. Her lifeboats are more traditional than Oasis's but I can't imagine that this would make her immune from any problems. Hopefully they make some form of change and don't take the cheap way out and just let it go since it will most likely never be a problem. All it takes is that one time that something goes wrong for the companies image to be ruined beyond repair (come to think of it, I think NCL has been to the point of no return several times already, lol).

[ 05-23-2010: Message edited by: DEIx15x8 ]

Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-23-2010 04:52 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DEIx15x8:
My guess is that unlike RCCL who did extensive testing for Oasis, NCL was in such turmoil that they may have just been trying to get this thing together to be built before they lost more money and never realised it could be a problem.

That theory seems very unlikely to me. I'm sure both hulls were very carefully designed and tested! I believe it was NCL's internal changes that were problematic for the ship yard.

I just assume lifeboat damage was not considered a major risk in Caribbean waters. Oasis was unlucky to have a very rough Transatlantic crossing.

I assume that the QM2's lifeboats are higher than Oasis and Epic? There is no wave deflection system (The QM2 is of course about the same gross tonnage as Epic).

[ 05-23-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 05-23-2010 05:01 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OOTS & N EPIC were contracted before the new IMO regulations regarding the damage stability and 'return to port' concept were ready for adoption. Much research and testing was done during the building of Solstice [who was the first ship to comply], OOTS and N EPIC in conjunction with the IMO, DNV & the Bahamian registry over the lifeboat placements and capacity, so it is not surprising original renderings are nothing like how anything has turned out and things will change even more as we are seeing.

RCI/Celebrity firstly & then NCL are the ones working on this to develop and test what is necessary. Hmm, where's anything Carnival?

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Magic Pipe
First Class Passenger
Member # 6994

posted 05-23-2010 09:16 AM      Profile for Magic Pipe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think that severe weather is that big of a deal with lifeboats slung over the side as they are on Oasis, Epic and Carnival Dream. Rather, my concern is an incident where two ships "sideswipe" each other like the Carnival Miracle and Enchantment of the Seas did not too long ago. When those two ships allided, it was basically an inconvenience that caused departure from port to be delayed for a few hours. But an incident like that could put the Oasis out of service for weeks or longer.
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 05-23-2010 09:33 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
I assume that the QM2's lifeboats are higher than Oasis and Epic? There is no wave deflection system (The QM2 is of course about the same gross tonnage as Epic).

Assuming that the scale is correct at NAUTICAL CITIES it would look something like this if compared:

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 05-23-2010 10:04 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's another to scale with full lengths of all three showing lifeboat placements:

[ 05-23-2010: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-23-2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DEIx15x8:
[....]
My guess is that unlike RCCL who did extensive testing for Oasis, NCL was in such turmoil that they may have just been trying to get this thing together to be built before they lost more money and never realized it could be a problem. [...]

Rest assured that extensive tests are carried out for any large passenger ship built these days (and thats BTW not done by the cruise line). To assume that someone is approaching the construction of such a ship by 'trying to get this thing together' is simply outrageous and BTW also offensive.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-23-2010 07:04 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
Here's another to scale with full lengths of all three showing lifeboat placements:

From the images you would not believe that Epic and QM2 had similar gross tonnages. Epic is obviously very boxy (and ugly) the QM2 is much sleeker, by comparison. I wonder where the QM2 hides her tonnage?

In the case of 'Oasis' the secret is in her width!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-23-2010 07:36 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

From the images you would not believe that Epic and QM2 had similar gross tonnages. Epic is obviously very boxy (and ugly) the QM2 is much sleeker, by comparison. I wonder where the QM2 hides her tonnage?

In the case of 'Oasis' the secret is in her width!

Hey Malcolm,
QM2 to me, in person, still looks the largest. She is very imposing with that massive bow and lifeboats placed so high. Also I think the paint scheme adds to her grandeur.

OASIS looked big to me, but not as large or as impressive as QM2. As you say, it's when you see the width of OASIS that you realize just how large she is.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 05-23-2010 08:51 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it safe to say that OOTS and Epic are cruise ships and QM2 is an ocean liner. Right??
F4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
usepEtect
Just Boarded
Member # 33139

posted 05-23-2010 08:52 PM      Profile for usepEtect   Author's Homepage   Email usepEtect   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a quick comparison of the Epic and QM2.

The QM2 does hide her tonnage surprisingly well.

Posts: 0 | From: Sweden | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 05-23-2010 09:24 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
QM2s boats are positioned at about the same height as the original Queens-approx 7 decks above the waterline which required a coast guard exemption. Most cruise ships today have them approx 4-decks above the water but those boats are usually positioned inboard protected from high seas. Oasis and Epics boats are positioned outboard hanging over the sides which can expose them to high seas as seen during the maiden transat of Oasis. Neither of those ships should venture onto the N Atlantic during the winter months
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-24-2010 05:34 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
I think it safe to say that OOTS and Epic are cruise ships and QM2 is an ocean liner. Right??
F4

Yep. Designer Stephen Payne deliberately gave her a tiered stern and majestic bow/front superstructure to resemble Ocean liners of the past and to protect the bridge from big waves.

I believe the QM2 was given an exception to have her lifeboats high than the regulations normally allowed to protect them from the North Atlantic.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-24-2010 05:44 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FuzzyFish:
The QM2 does hide her tonnage surprisingly well.

In terms of side profile the QM2 is clearly smaller than Epic. That must mean she is wider than Epic?

[ 05-24-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Magic Pipe
First Class Passenger
Member # 6994

posted 05-24-2010 06:28 AM      Profile for Magic Pipe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
QM2 is 41m wide. Epic is 40.7m wide.
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-24-2010 08:52 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
F4

All are passenger ships and their size is 'measured' or calculated according to the same rules.
There is no difference between a 'liner' an a cruise ship from a technical point of view.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-24-2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magic Pipe:
QM2 is 41m wide. Epic is 40.7m wide.

Well that does not account for much extra gross tonnage, surely?

reeves35
First Class Passenger
Member # 6021

posted 05-24-2010 10:24 PM      Profile for reeves35   Email reeves35   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe QM2 hides her tonnage because the colorscheme tends to hide how significant her hull is compared with the superstructure. Your eyes naturally see the hull as being the black component but it is actually also another two decks painted white and containing the cove balconies.

This comparatively large hull was obviously a result of QM2's need to survive the open seas far more often than the other two ships. I've often thought her looks slightly ungainly but it serves a purpose. Having said that none of these ships will ever be true beauties but they all are designed with revenue in mind way before aesthetics.

Brad

Posts: 343 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.