- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Norwegian Epic Cabins

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Norwegian Epic Cabins
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 07-11-2010 09:20 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just got back from the two day preview cruise from Miami. Lots of thoughts regarding Epic but let's start with cabins.

One way of looking at them is that the cabins on the Epic are like the chic new guy/girl you see across the bar. Exciting and new from a distance but once you get to know them you find a number of things that really annoy you and you wonder if this is really worth the effort.

Most of these pictures will support the chic and new part. Annoying details to follow.

Owner's Suite (Garden Villas)

Larger Version

Owner's Suite Guest Room (Garden Villas)

Larger Version

Spa Suite

Larger Version

Spa Suite

Larger Version

Family Suite - Quad

Larger Version

Family Suite - Triple

Larger Version

Studio Cabin

Larger Version

Inside

Larger Version

[ 07-11-2010: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 07-11-2010 09:24 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I felt that even the suites were smaller than I expected. The Villa area, however, is really nice. I did make a video of my deluxe balcony stateroom...I'll post it as soon as I get a chance to do more editing.
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 07-11-2010 11:12 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that may be the most accurate explanation of the cabins onboard the Epic yet. It describes them perfectly. Hopefully other lines follow some of the style ideas but leave out all the flaws. The bathroom is the single biggest reason that will stop me from ever sailing her (unless it's free, only cleanliness could stop a free cruise, lol).
Posts: 521 | From: Kutztown, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 07-12-2010 08:20 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DEIx15x8:
The bathroom is the single biggest reason that will stop me from ever sailing her (unless it's free, only cleanliness could stop a free cruise, lol).

You'd have to experience the facilities yourself....it's not that bad...you actually get use to it.

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 07-12-2010 09:31 AM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could never get used to those cabins. The bathroom or lack of is a total turnoff. IMHO the Deluxe balcony cabin was cramped from the photos and videos that I have seen posted. I would hate to see what a regular balcony cabin looks like.

I also think that NCL missesd the mark on the Courtyard Villas. Too small. The bedroom is cramped from looking at the photos. On the NCL ships that I have cruised, we had a category AC that was a nice size with the exception of the bathroom which was cramped due to the layout.

I do like many of the public rooms though. Very nice looking.

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 07-12-2010 09:54 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think it matters how big standard cabins are really, as long as there is room to do what you must and it is practical (unlike Epic's sinks) and it all works - at least not on a NCL ship where the whole point is be out and about etc.

When it comes to suites well onviously that is different and they need to be a decent size.

Will I try Epic, well enjoyed the Sun and Jewel - hated the Pride of Hawaii, as for Epic probably not mainly because I don't ;like the courtyard set up (when by the pool it is nice to see the sea not a set of walls) and I have the distinct feeling that the other pool areas are going to be very crowded, the decor seems nice but nothing I am going to wowed by, so all in all to me she will probably have too many negatives, as for sailing her in the Med - no ways I doubt the terminals etc were designed for her.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-12-2010 09:59 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The bathroom doesn't bother me so much personally. What has been reported that I have concerns with is the twin bed arrangement. Apparently if the the beds are set up as twins, they are so close together that you are practically sleeping in the same bed. If I am traveling with a friend I'm not too keen on that.

I also don't like the fact there is not a coffee table in front of the sofa. If you order room service, there is really no where to eat it except on the bed or on the balcony if you have one and the weather is decent.

Next year NCL will reclassify the Deluxe Balcony as a Mini-Suite. I think it's a stretch calling this cabin a "mini-suite", as there is not even room for a coffee table in it.

Joe's picture of a four berth set up is the first I have seen of this arrangement. I can't imagine fitting four people in that cabin. Tight squeeze.

Anyway, overall I still like these cabins. I loved them when I first saw the renderings and I still think they look stylish and different.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 07-12-2010 10:44 AM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate the way the upper berth is sort of hanging in the middle of the cabin in the fifth photo down, without a solid bulkhead behind it. I have never seen that before and while I'm sure it's perfectly safe it just doesn't "look" right.

And if it is a quad, where is the fourth berth? I see three ... is someone supposed to sleep on the "curvy" sofa?

And even the villas/suites look rather cramped. There is so little room around the beds. I am starting to think those round beds are there not as a throwback to the '70s but as a way to make the rooms look bigger!

The more I look at photos of this ship, the more I see that I don't like.

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-12-2010 11:04 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
Next year NCL will reclassify the Deluxe Balcony as a Mini-Suite. I think it's a stretch calling this cabin a "mini-suite", as there is not even room for a coffee table in it.

I was in a deluxe. It‘s longer than a 'standard' but NO wider. It had more cupboards, an extra wardrobe and the shower was exceptionally long (in terms of floor space), but probably not any wider. In fact you could probably fit three average Brits in the shower, standing one behind each other(if you were into that kind of thing) but only one person would be under the shower head!

I could live with the toilet and shower, but I think the major design floor is the narrowness near the sofa/bed. Even an extra 12 inches would have things more comfortable. The quad looks unbearable. The renderings looked much more spacious!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-12-2010 11:08 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dougnewman:
I hate the way the upper berth is sort of hanging in the middle of the cabin in the fifth photo down, without a solid bulkhead behind it. I have never seen that before and while I'm sure it's perfectly safe it just doesn't "look" right.

Hi Doug,
This type of upper berth, that recesses from the ceiling is actually quite common now. The difference is that usually it's a bit closer to the wall, but the wall still does not support it.

Anyway, with the EPIC cabin design, if you have a 4-berth set up the cabin will be severely restricted. Either it will be nearly impossible to get out on the balcony, or if the sofa is by the bath area than it will be difficult for anyone on the "real" bed to "take a leak" in the middle of the night if they need to. LOL

EPIC is supposed to be a ship designed for families, but I'm not sure these cabins are ideal for any capacity more than two persons.

Ernie

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-12-2010 11:11 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

and the shower was exceptionally long (in terms of floor space), but probably not any wider. In fact you could probably fit three average Brits in the shower, standing one behind each other(if you were into that kind of thing) but only one person would be under the shower head!

Hey Malcolm,
The reason for that extra large shower is that some of the Deluxe Balcony's have a tub, and some have a shower. Those that have a shower use the same footprint as the tub, which makes it extra large.

Unfortunately no one at NCL has any idea which Deluxe Balcony cabins have a tub, and which have a shower. It's a crap shoot.

Ernie

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-12-2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
The reason for that extra large shower is that some of the Deluxe Balcony's have a tub, and some have a shower.

Yes! The cabin two doors away had a bath tub in that very space.

Joe, were you in a deluxe?

[ 07-12-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 07-12-2010 12:53 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Joe, were you in a deluxe?

Malcolm,

No, we were in a family balcony - no tub.

Our configuration had the bed on the balcony side of the room so we had some distance from the shower/toilet.

Larger Version

Others we spoke with had the bed right next to the shower/toilet and said it was impossible to use either without waking you cabin mate.

And, Doug, you are correct. The third "berth" is indeed the "curvy" sofa. I had a hard enough time fitting on the bed (feet hung off the end) I do not see how an adult could fit on the sofa.

The quality of the furnishings is top-notch - solid and sleek with a nice use of veneer - but some things to consider when booking one of these staterooms:

- only one electrical outlet in room, two recepticles. Not a big issue if you can rotate devices.

- make sure you book with the bed on the baclony side unless you like watching and hearing people do stuff behind frosted glass

- A/C struggled to keep the cabin cool, so make sure to keep the balcony curtain closed when not in the room

- be careful when brushing teeth or washing face as you can easily poke your eye out or knock your head on the sink faucet.

Larger Version

Other thoughts:

Someone earlier had commented that the shower might overflow since the sliding glass door did not seal the bottom of the shower. I don't think this will be an issue as the lip on the bottom is a couple of inches high.

All lights can be controlled by switches at door and at bed. It would be nice to have some type of label or indicator on the switches so you can avoid trial and error in the middle of the night.

More space for storage than you would think. Two storage bins below the sofa and the sofa backs open up for storage as well. Closet is fine and there is more storage under the counter.

Not sure where you would put a tray if you order room service. No table to put anything on an counter is very narrow. I guess you could go out on balcony or sit on bed.

There is a small trash can in the toilet silo and the other trash bin is a big plastic tub below the sink that slides out. There is no liner or bag just a big plastic tub you throw your trash into. Odd.

Dome lighting above bed (unless you have a quad) is very nice. Give a very 3-D recessed effect but is flat.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-12-2010 02:36 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe at travelpage:
The quality of the furnishings is top-notch - solid and sleek with a nice use of veneer..

The use of dark woods around the ship and in the cabins reminded me of the QM2 - very classy for a 'fun ship'.

be careful when brushing teeth or washing face as you can easily poke your eye out or knock your head on the sink faucet.

NCL acknowledge that this is a design error. They are going to fit a 'faucet' that can swings out of the way when not required. The sink is too small as well, hence the water keeps leaving it when you operate the faucet, but I doubt that they will change all of the sinks too?

Not sure where you would put a tray if you order room service. No table to put anything on an counter is very narrow. I guess you could go out on balcony or sit on bed.

I ordered breakfast via room service and a crew member brought it on the biggest try that I've ever seen. He struggled to get it through the door! They need to shrink their trays are enlarge their cabins!

There is a small trash can in the toilet silo and the other trash bin is a big plastic tub below the sink that slides out. There is no liner or bag just a big plastic tub you throw your trash into. Odd.

One steward told me it was for trash, another said it was for dirty laundry - who knows?

The sofa-bed is quite low-tech. It's on castors, you you wheel it out a bit from the backrest which is attached to the wall. Of course there is not too much room to wheel it very far!

[ 07-12-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 07-12-2010 04:25 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, during the press conference, they talked about the small sink and said it was the idea of Colin Veitch so that he could fill his coffee mug or something like that...and someone joked..."is that why he is not here anymore"? They also stated that rather than replacing the sinks, they will lower the water pressure for the sinks to avoid over-fill or spill.
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 07-12-2010 10:46 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeBarryboat:
Actually, during the press conference, they talked about the small sink and said it was the idea of Colin Veitch so that he could fill his coffee mug or something like that...and someone joked..."is that why he is not here anymore"? They also stated that rather than replacing the sinks, they will lower the water pressure for the sinks to avoid over-fill or spill.

I hope people have been reporting there toothbrushes being blasted out of their hands. I can't imagine a ship lowering the pressure anymore than it typically is. In general hotels, resorts, and especially ships are usually prone to really low water pressure which can make rinsing toothbrushes a bit difficult.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-13-2010 06:33 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DEIx15x8:

In general hotels, resorts, and especially ships are usually prone to really low water pressure...

The water pressure on Epic seemed better than on many ships in my cabin shower. The water pressure into the small sink was DEFINATELY too high, so much of the water left the sink!

[ 07-13-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 07-13-2010 02:16 PM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

The water pressure on Epic seemed better than on many ships in my cabin shower. The water pressure into the small sink was DEFINATELY too high, so much of the water left the sink!

[ 07-13-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Good to hear, hopefully that means they'll only have to lower the pressure to a more standard (ship) pressure level.

jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 07-13-2010 09:11 PM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am really disappointed with those cabins, I was actually excited by what had been shown before the entry into service and was planning on taking an Epic cruise, but after looking at the width of the cabins it just isn't going to happen.
Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 07-13-2010 09:29 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is a very simple way to know whether the "wave" cabin design is successful: wait until NCL unveils its next newbuild. If the ship has this same cabin design or similar (narrow, split bath facilities, curves, etc), then we can conclude that it worked well enough and was appealing to enough people to replicate.

However, if NCL goes with a more standard layout we'll know that passengers didn't warm to the innovative design.

I said it when these cabins were first unveiled. NCL designed Epic to squeeze in as many passengers as possible...that meant tiny cabins. They knew the small cabins would be a problem so they had to come up with a gimmick that would distract from their size...something innovative to distract people from directly comparing them with other ships' cabins. That explains the wave.

I'm guessing we won't see this design on future NCL ships. One thing I hope we do see are the single-cabins. That's one redeeming quality in the Epic's new cabin approach.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
DEIx15x8
First Class Passenger
Member # 14958

posted 07-14-2010 12:32 AM      Profile for DEIx15x8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fairsky:
...One thing I hope we do see are the single-cabins. That's one redeeming quality in the Epic's new cabin approach.

I hope this becomes a new standard category on cruise ships. Especially with them spread out through out the ship instead of grouped. Multiple types would be great as well. I could see a lot of potential with single cruisers who are a part of a larger party. I'm always surprised about how many people think more than 2 in a cabin is insane but with a single parent and 2 kids they could do joining single and double cabins. A family of four traveling with a grandparent could give them a single cabin so they have some privacy to get away from the rest. So many great ways these single cabins could be used beyond just a person traveling alone.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-14-2010 05:34 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fairsky:
One thing I hope we do see are the single-cabins. That's one redeeming quality in the Epic's new cabin approach.

Of course they were a mistake! The 'Studios' were designed for couples. The strange thing was that NCL sold them for the same fare (per couple) as the inside cabins which are bigger. No wonder couples did not book them!

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.