- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Mid-Ships Lounge   » Fore CGT, Cambodge and all train lovers.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fore CGT, Cambodge and all train lovers.
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-14-2005 06:42 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I now that you are train lovers so here are 3 pictures of Dutch trains.

The Arend Netherlands first train 1839 between Amsterdam and Haarlem.

streamlined diesel trains midt '30's

Modern railstock Double deck intercity.

Dutch national railway museum

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 03-14-2005 08:59 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know the museum well. My dad is an engineer for the Dutch railway and as a kid my parents took me many times to Utrecht to watch the old trains.

The museum is undergoing a major refit. Which should be finished in a couple of years. For the refit a couple of the old trains were relocated for maintenance and to store while the museum is upgraded. This meant the trains had to be transported via normal railway and this was rather special because most of the trains haven’t been seen in public for over 40 years.

Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 03-14-2005 09:01 AM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Ben
though not as ardent as a liner fan
count me on amongst those interested in Trains !

Train Talk would be interesting
or otherwise a little subdivision of CT, "Getting to a Ship on Land"?

The first train in Belgium was in 1835, between Brussels and Mechelen.

The great Railway Museum in Mulhouse reopened some days ago.

The Swiss National Train Museum in Luzern has, apart from a fabulous Raffaelo model, a lot of trains in its collection.

There are museum trains in Belgium in MAldegem and MAriembourg (where there is also a small museum). Trains are easier to preserve than liners !

Near Rostock (with the Georg Buchner) are two working steam trains, the Rasender Roland, on the Island Rugen, and the "Molli" between Bad Doberan, Heiligendam and Kuhlungsborn. This little train rides literally through the streets of Bad Doberan, and then off to the seaside resorts. A strange experience.

Ah, the Romance of Trains

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 03-15-2005 07:24 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about the LNER(Not a mispelled Liners) trains in the UK?
Those fantastically streamlined Locos often paused by the Cunard Queens in Soton, in War and Peace as my postcards shows!
I think I gave a copy to Onno or Pam?
Louy, who found the best Liners stuff in Trainshops!

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5115

posted 03-15-2005 10:49 AM      Profile for 6263866   Email 6263866   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am also a considerable rail-fan. Thats not the Flying-Hamburger in the middle is it?
Posts: 580 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 03-15-2005 11:14 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
no that is pure dutch design and far more elegeant then the Flying Hamburger which is German.
Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 03-15-2005 01:28 PM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LNER trains never got near a Cunard Queen.

The dutch double decker trains are fantastic....

Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 03-15-2005 08:15 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The double-decker in the third picture above was designed by the studio of a teacher of mine, I always sit on the lower level because when I sit on the upper level the air co system gives me a headache.

The first picture above is a replica made of the original Arend (eagle) the replica was build in 1939 for the 100 year anniversary of the NS (Dutch railway). 50 years later for the 150 year anniversary during a large train show event in Utrecht the Arend steamed on a custom made track, because the Arend is too wide to ride on modern narrow tracks. As a kid I loved riding first, second and third class on the Arend, it made me realize how terrible it was to ride a steam train while sitting in an open carriage. Btw, the difference between classes was: Third was open and had wooden benches, second was open but the side could be covered with canvas and had seat coverings on benches and first was closed and had glass windows also fully covered seats and if you had cold feet you could rent a tin canister filled with hot water from the boilers.

The second picture is a diesel-electric train known as the diesel III. Painted in a silvery grey and both ends shaped like a droplet it fitted very well in the stream line design of the 30’s. It was designed by the NS in collaboration with the Zeppelin Werke in Friedrichshafen. (so a little bit German after all )

Onno

nevadaflip
First Class Passenger
Member # 1682

posted 03-16-2005 12:37 AM      Profile for nevadaflip        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Ben for the pictures and thanks to all for the comments as well.

Here in Carson City (population only about 50,000), the capital of Nevada we have a State Railroad Museum. It is a wonderful site and has restored many locomotives and rail cars and has frequent events where they will "steam them up" and offer rides around a relatively short set of tracks.

It features primarily the stock of the Virginia and Truckee Railroad, which was an historic railroad here in Northern Nevada linking famous comstock mining city of Virginia City with Carson City, Reno and ultimately Minden. Many of the restored engines and cars have been featured in "cowboy" movies from Hollywood.

Take a look at: http://www.nsrm-friends.org/

The money finally has been raised to buy right of way, lay new track and recreate the old V&T from Carson City to Virginia City again and the building is now underway. It will be a great ride and should bring lots of train fans to our area.

We would love to have you all visit some day.

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 280 | From: Minden, NV, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-16-2005 12:49 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
The second picture is a diesel-electric train known as the diesel III. Painted in a silvery grey and both ends shaped like a droplet it fitted very well in the stream line design of the 30’s. It was designed by the NS in collaboration with the Zeppelin Werke in Friedrichshafen. (so a little bit German after all )

Onno the design off the D3 was lasting after this design N.S. opted this design 4 other types of trains. Here some pictures.
D3 in color

Mat 36.

DE1

DE2

Camell the privat train off the Dutch railway board of directors.

And a converted post coach.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 03-16-2005 01:02 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ben, did you know that they are going to restore the camel into her original green colours and original interiors. I think the yellow and bleu livery of the NS (as current) is the strongest and best livery. The green colour before that was (if I recall correctly) the favourite colour of the wife of the president of the NS (It proofs that the wife should not meddle in the business affairs of the husband)

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.