- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Mid-Ships Lounge   » PM Tony Blair most unpopular cruise companion

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PM Tony Blair most unpopular cruise companion
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 04-12-2006 03:17 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Tony Blair polled most unpopular cruise companion
Asian News International
April 11, 2006

London, -- It appears Prime Minister Tony Blair doesn't carry a friendly disposition, at least that's what his cruise companions feel.

In the poll commissioned by Royal Caribbean International, the British leader has been voted as the most unpopular cruise holiday companion, who's just too "annoying" to pull up a sun lounger next to, reports The Daily Mail.

London Mayor Ken Livingstone was the next most unpopular cruise companion in a survey of 2,000 people to celebrate the UK arrival later this month of Royal Caribbean's 160,000-tonne Freedom of the Seas - the world's largest cruise ship.

Other unpopular people, who those polled would not be keen to see on board ship, included Big Brother star Jade Goody, film director Michael Winner, Victoria Beckham and actor Jude Law.

However on the other hand, TV presenter Jonathan Ross was voted the most popular cruise companion, followed by another television presenter Lorraine Kelly and celebrity chef Jamie Oliver.

While Ross was favourite among women, actress and TV presenter Kelly Brook got the highest male vote.

Hindustan Times

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-12-2006 05:10 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder why the Asian news ran this story? It's hardly 'real' news, is it?

I'm not surprised that Kelly Brook got the highest male vote. She could cruise with me anytime, although I doubt that Mrs M would be very pleased?

Kelly Brook

[ 04-12-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 04-12-2006 09:16 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Malcolm wrote:
I'm not surprised that Kelly Brook got the highest male vote. She could cruise with me anytime, although I doubt that Mrs M would be very pleased?

I see what you mean Malcolm. Very nice. She looks a bit like my wife...when my wife was her age.

I wonder who are the most popular/unpopular cruise companions in other countries?

Cheers

sunviking82
First Class Passenger
Member # 4930

posted 04-12-2006 02:19 PM      Profile for sunviking82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am sure CNN will run with this soon!
Posts: 383 | From: Minneapolis Minnesota , USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-12-2006 02:22 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought Kathy Lee Gifford would have been the all time unpopular cruise companion.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 04-12-2006 02:39 PM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
I thought Kathy Lee Gifford would have been the all time unpopular cruise companion.

Even if we didn't know, it would be plain to see that you don't live in the UK.

Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-12-2006 03:04 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greybeard:

Even if we didn't know, it would be plain to see that you don't live in the UK.

Since she was THE spokesperson for Carnival for so many years, I thought most people into cruises would know who she is.

greybeard
First Class Passenger
Member # 5284

posted 04-12-2006 03:35 PM      Profile for greybeard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even as a Carnival mouthpiece, and as a figure of fun on South Park, Kathy Lee Gifford is still only a minor irritant compared to Tony Blair
Posts: 587 | From: London | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-12-2006 04:19 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only cruise ship that you might find Tony Blair on is a small private one, paid for by someone elses money.
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 04-12-2006 07:10 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For we ,US yanks what seem to be the problem with Tony? He surely can be as smug as Bush. I think on our side of the pond Bush is right up there-Oprah too!!IMHO
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 04-12-2006 11:50 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder how many of those people who nominated Tony Blair for this dubious honour have actually been on a cruise with Tony Blair? I'd be very surprised if there were any. Just another useless poll.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 04-13-2006 04:44 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
O well thene my addition to this verry importend topic is maybe to much. The whole Dutch government oh man they are so irritating. I would like to push theme over a balcony a/b a Carnival ship and act to be verry sad

Now my al time favorit to cruise with are Robbie Williams, Chris Segers (Dutch actor/tv presentor) But as with Malcoms mrs M, mr. R would not be verry Happy, with the last two.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-13-2006 12:59 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ben you mentioned Robbie Williams. He is of course very famous in Europe but few people in the States know who he is. I have seen him many times in L.A. having coffee and reading a paper at a local shopping complex on Sunset Blvd. People just walk past him and have no clue how famous he is in other parts of the World. I guess he can come here to escape the UK fans and press.
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-13-2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have seen him many times in L.A. having coffee and reading a paper at a local shopping complex on Sunset Blvd.

Yes, he would be mobbed if he tried that in the UK.

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 04-14-2006 03:49 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ben you mentioned Robbie Williams. He is of course very famous in Europe but few people in the States know who he is. I have seen him many times in L.A. having coffee and reading a paper at a local shopping complex on Sunset Blvd. People just walk past him and have no clue how famous he is in other parts of the World. I guess he can come here to escape the UK fans and press.

I would add and me

I JUST WANNA ROCK DJ..............
Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-14-2006 06:53 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity would be on my "Z" list

quote:

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
nevadaflip
First Class Passenger
Member # 1682

posted 04-15-2006 09:11 PM      Profile for nevadaflip        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well David, you and I are 180 degrees apart on our politics, but we surely both agree on those two for the Z list!

Jerry

Posts: 280 | From: Minden, NV, USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 04-16-2006 02:19 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dont think any celebrity would be good company on a cruise. They would be all boring and possiby stuck up snobbish people with their heads in the clouds living off public admiration.

Why do we yearn to meet better and more famous people when there are plenty of great people already in our lives.

I can honestly say in all my seven cruises I have met better and more interesting passengers than any celebrity.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 04-18-2006 12:04 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sutho wrote:
I can honestly say in all my seven cruises I have met better and more interesting passengers than any celebrity.

But wait, we have our own celebrities here on Cruise Talk, Malcolm...etc., etc.

Cheers

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-18-2006 02:18 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sutho:
I dont think any celebrity would be good company on a cruise. They would be all boring and possiby stuck up snobbish people with their heads in the clouds living off public admiration.

Very true. The few celebrities I have met (mostly film actors) are not very interesting and in some instances downright odd. These people are acting like others for a living and in some cases it shows. Look at poor Tom Cruise. When the 'real' Tom appears in public, most people are shocked at his bizarre personality. It is best for these types to stay out of site for the sake of their careers!

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 04-18-2006 02:47 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I met and had the opportunity to interview Frankie Avalon while on a cruise. He was performing on board. Took pictures with my wife and when we saw him around the ship he always said "hello" a really nice guy.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.