- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Mid-Ships Lounge   » Revell QM2 Model

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Revell QM2 Model
First Class Passenger
Member # 5115

posted 05-25-2006 01:25 AM      Profile for 6263866   Email 6263866   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Im thinking about buying this model. I have heard that it is well worth it, highly detail, and comes out very nicely. Any other Ct'ers have this model. Please tell me a little about it. Thanks

Im also having doubts about the level 5 skill level, and maybe this model is going to be to hard to build.

[ 05-25-2006: Message edited by: 6263866 ]

Posts: 580 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 05-25-2006 05:09 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe several of us have including myself. I am very very detail oriented in my model building and it took me over 3 1/2 months and 750 hours. However my end results were stunning and mine sits in a custom made display case at a TA in Charlotte, NC.

I remember there were earlier threads of the QM2 Revell model and discussions on it.

Try these links to former chat pages:

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002795

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=003114

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 05-25-2006 06:34 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To me the painting is the worst part. This model will require quite a bit of it and model spray paint is a must for the hull and huge superstructure. I would even spray the teak colored decks for an even finish and to save time. I have it in a closet and have not begun it yet as it will require months of work for me. My Airfix 1/600 QM2 sits 1/2 built as I gave up on the decals. This model IMO was poorly designed and not easy to build compared to other 1/600 Airfix liners. I have seen the Airfix version w/out the decals (one on QM2 in fact in one of the shops on board) and paint was used to good effect to simulate several windows. I may take it up again when time permits. The Revell version is a major undertaking that will take time and patience to complete. Like the 1/400 Titanic, Lusitania and slightly easier QE2, it is a BIG project! Good luck.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-25-2006 07:10 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You will cordially hate every single balcony.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 05-26-2006 01:42 PM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, mine is also sitting in the closet as the balco made me sick!
But Model boats published this month a step by step guide on how to rc the plastic model....interesting....wonder why Poseidon makers didn't use it????

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-26-2006 02:27 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This 1:400 model of QM2 is nice but too small and not detailed enough to be used in a film. If at all one does not gain a lot for those few scenes where such a model could be used.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 05-26-2006 08:11 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Depends on the shots they want to take. For close-ups you need at least a 6 meter long model, but for distance shots a smaller model will do. For several space ships in the Star Wars movies they made models 1:1 large scale models and even micro scale models. All depending on the shots.

That said Hollywood’s model departments can do a better job scratch building a model than utilizing a commercial kit.
However commercial kits are perfect for film effects testing.

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Teva
First Class Passenger
Member # 5327

posted 05-26-2006 10:33 PM      Profile for Teva   Email Teva   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno,I bought the Revell QM2 early 2005,and a year later she's still going!.Also being the stickler for detail I am this is the reason assembly is taking
the time it has.As a kit,it is beautifully made .The
balconies WILL drive you to distraction,however you
being a master of 600scale scratchbuilding won't find it too much trouble to build....in a word Onno

GET IT!...it's a beauty!

Models in my little collection are...

350th scale Titanic...
this one is a virtual rebuild,using Robert Hahns (www.titanic_plan.de)splendid 350th scale plans.

900th scale Grand Princess
this one was bought through Scherbakshipmodels
it's a travel agents style model,resin material,the finish was just atrocious,so the model was disassembled,stripped refinished,reassembeld & super detailed.

RCI Sovereign of the Seas...
bought from a local modelship chandler in 1991,& it
appears to one of Maritime Replicas earlier editions
cost...$3,500.00...say no more!,a beautiful model to
be sure,but some of it's finifhing is a bit messy,so she may go doen the refurbishment route.

other models in either kit form or strip down mode
waiting finishing or refinishing are
Revell QM2....Scherbakshipmodels Pacific Princess
(scale unknown)..Airfix QE2...Airfix QM2...Airfix Canberra...Mauretania..Revell Queen Mary & Lee Oriana,500th scale.

a lot to do!

Teva

Posts: 78 | From: Sydney,Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 05-27-2006 01:02 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Teva,

Compelling argument, I might buy a Revell QM2 some of these days.
I can still remember the “fun” I had with my scratch build QM2 and all those balconies!

Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
elad
First Class Passenger
Member # 5150

posted 05-28-2006 01:31 AM      Profile for elad   Email elad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
it is a very impressive model
the hardest part for me cocerning this model was painting it.
i think is a must for every ship models lover.
there is the 1:600 QM2 of airfix/heller but there is nothing to compare between the two kits (revell vs airfix/heller). the revell kit is much better and gives a better presentation of the ship (the size is an important issue here). but for those seeking 1:600 scale models collection the airfix/heller onee is good!

Elad

Posts: 747 | From: israel | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Teva
First Class Passenger
Member # 5327

posted 05-28-2006 09:01 PM      Profile for Teva   Email Teva   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno,the balcony parts,while they are small fit into their respective resesses very well,care must be taken to ensure perfect alignment.I remember all
the clear Evergreen sheet I had to spray with blue
transluscent paint,then cut,polish and cement to the
balcony sides on my Grand Princess model,it took
DAYS and DAYS,but the result is neat,clean,smooth
& thankfully dust/dirt free considering the scale of the model.In fact I'm looking at it right now as I type,looking for all the world like a Faberge Egg on
it's base,under it's perspex case.I don't usually work in such a small scale,1/600 to 1/350 is the max for me.

Anyway youngman,get the Revell QM2,the size & relative ease in it's assembly,not to mention its accuracy make it a great choice,& the scope for super detailing this model knows absolutley no bounds...

Teva

Posts: 78 | From: Sydney,Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colin
First Class Passenger
Member # 1676

posted 12-29-2007 06:20 AM      Profile for Colin   Email Colin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Folks. I was given the Revell QM2 kit for Christmas by a friend. I haven't made a model since I was a kid, and I wasn't very good at it them. I searched some of these old posts for some advice and I think my friend is about to become an ex-friend.

Does anyone have any advice for a complete novice?

Regards, Colin.

Posts: 283 | From: Inverness, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-29-2007 07:27 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My best advice for your friend is TAKE YOUR TIME. Nothing says they have to complete the model in 1 week. As you can read below it took me over 3 1/2 months and 750 hours, but I am a perfectionist when it comes to model building and my model wound up on display in the lobby of a Travel Agency in Charlotte NC.

Read the instruction booklet carefully cover to cover FIRST to get an idea of what they'll have to do and take it slow. Aim to complete only 1 step over several days. Prepaint as much of the parts while they are still on the plastic trees.

Read the excellent tips provided in other threads below and if they have any questions feel free to email me personally or resurface the thread with the question. You and your friend will get lots of support here.

This is no ordinary toy model kit. This is a project. Take it as such, and the end result can be quite spectacular.

Colin
First Class Passenger
Member # 1676

posted 12-29-2007 09:14 AM      Profile for Colin   Email Colin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, I've got some questions already and I haven't even opened the poly bags with the plastic trees in them.

I'm surprised that the windows on Two and Three Decks are solid. Should I even attempt to open these or is that just asking for trouble?

The instructions seem to imply that the small detail should be drawn/coloured with some sort of pen. Are these readilly available in the appropriate colours?

Speaking of colours, are the suggested colours acceptable - even if not absolutely accurate. I don't have the paints but some of the descriptions seem a little off.

What about teak decking? Am I supposed to draw all the caulking lines straight and accurate? or is there another solution.

And all this before I even start!

Regards, Colin.

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-30-2007 01:24 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Reference pics for paint colors and detail:

See Here

See Here

See Here

1. The windows on Decks 2 & 3 on my model were left as is on the kit. I did paint the inside rim of every hull balcony white (that falls in the dark hull paint). This added a lot of realism but took several hours...

2. One small detail I did was to use the 'alternate' white strip decal meant for the hull boot topping area and cutting it to measure for the framing of the Kings Court and Canyon Ranch Spa windows. This turned out real well. I painted the white hullstrip/boot topping instead of using the decals. Improvise on other small details but I do not recommend using a paint pen.

3. I used a library of pictures I took when I was onboard her to match colors of decks, funnel, etc. I had a very large hobby shop in town and they had either a perfect match, or I blended it myself. If your local hobby store doesnt carry it, see about mail ordering the paints.

4. I left out the caulking lines on the teak decking because no matter what, it was very very hard to get the black caulk lines in a 'proper scale' with the model and they always looked too fat.

5. I also painted all the balcony railings to indicate tinting and wood hand railings on all as well.

I 'cut and pasted' the other tips I had from prior threads:

It took some painstaking effort to mix the paints to get the right look for the decks. Use the QM2 and Cunard brochures for some good pictures of her for paint colors. I bought Tamiya spray Hull Red for the bottom. I did sand it down first with a very very fine sand paper. Makes the paint stick better. Looks wonderful.

Also one thing that helps a lot: buy some sheet styrene .2mm thick at a local hobby store and spray paint it gloss black, cut it down to size and glue to the backside of the upper and lower balcony sections for a more realistic (not see-thru) look.

For the balcony decks what I did was take some PACTRA Trim Model Tape (check out what it looks like here http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2119 ) (with a better visualization of the tape widths here http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=2196 ) which comes on a roll, with about 6 different widths-sizes on the same roll. I took white trim tape and spray painted the whole roll laid flat out out a board, a tan-brown color. Once dry, I cut the 3/8" width (and the next size up on the roll, both which are perfect fits) down to sizes that would fit that balconies width. Measure the widths of the most common balcony sizes and cut out 20-30 at a time and stick it to the flooring of that balcony. It took less than 24 hours to do both sides of all the upper balconies and the results are no less than professional looking.

Use the 1/32" width trim tape painted the same color as the hand railing around the upper deck houses.

Back-tape ALL other open superstructure windows with strong scotch tape from the inside of the hull area and back-paint it gloss or flat black. Again makes for a more realistic (not see-thru) look.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

[ 12-30-2007: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 12-30-2007 05:11 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
dmwnc1 do you have pictures of your model?
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-31-2007 12:56 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:
dmwnc1 do you have pictures of your model?

I wish I did, I dont even have a good enough camera either that would show the detail well enough. The model is still in NC and I live in WV, however I am going back down there in February and pick it up. If the topic resurfaces maybe I can get some pics of it online. By that time maybe Colin will have his project kit half done? Its crazy that I spent that much time and devotion into building a model that when completed has been out of my posession for 2 1/2 years! Cant wait to see it again!

Colin
First Class Passenger
Member # 1676

posted 05-17-2010 09:11 AM      Profile for Colin   Email Colin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, more than two years and countless hours of work later it's finally finished.

More pictures in the photo gallery Colin's QM2 model

Thanks for the helpful advice I got from a number of people.

Regards, Colin.

[ 05-17-2010: Message edited by: Colin ]

Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 05-17-2010 10:43 AM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
well done, congrats ! J
Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 05-17-2010 12:37 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And you said 'Does anyone have any advice for a complete novice?' I think someone was pulling our leg...

Indeed it is a job well done!!! It is a very beautiful model. Mine is still in NC and I have seen it in over 4 years since I left it down there.

CONGRATULATIONS on your accomplishment!

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 05-17-2010 12:48 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's amazing job you did with that model....are all those little deck chairs in the kit too? AMAZING!
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 05-17-2010 03:12 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! It is stunning. Mine is still in the closet (where it's been for 3-4 years) until I get the patience to finish it.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 05-18-2010 02:59 AM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Absolutely beautiful!
Your skill and patience show in all the detail. I think you have given a few of us a reason to finally get started on our own.
Again, congratulations on an excellent job.

Michael

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.