- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises is offering more than a dozen immersive explorations of Alaska in 2025, taking travelers beyond typical tourist sights to discover the unique perspectives, local culture, soaring glaciers, and pristine wilderness of "The Last Frontier." An Oceania Cruises first, the 1,250-guest Riviera will sail her first season in Alaska making her the first...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed "Revolution: A Celebration of Prince" and "Elements: The World Expanded" as the two new exclusive entertainment offerings set to debut aboard the Company's next-generation vessel, Norwegian Aqua, in April 2025. For decades, NCL has set the standard in entertainment at sea, with worldclass productions and talent....

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line today announced a wide variety of new 2026/27 cruises from both the east and west coasts of the U.S. The new sailings opening today feature popular destinations from the homeports of Miami, Port Canaveral and Norfolk as well as cruises to Alaska and Mexico from San Francisco. “In addition to extending our successful deployment schedules in Miami, Port Canaveral and Norfolk...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Technically Speaking   » My redesign of the SS United States (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: My redesign of the SS United States
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-02-2003 06:26 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

First, I want to thank Onno Heesbeen for reproducing a splendid original model to work form.

Intention is to keep the look as an evolution of the original, and how I think WF Gibbs would have designed it as a warm weather ship w/o cargo capacity.

Balconies are a necessary evil. Design emulates the QE2 for an integrated look. The aft deck terracing has been extended 100' to allow for an obligitory 24 hour buffet, swimming pool area, sun deck, gymnasium added to boat deck ala SS Norway, and athletic courts above.

A black hull is not good for hotweather cruising. Gray is my choice here.

Interior plans to come

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 04-02-2003 06:50 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well done!
The improvements are not that evident at first glance! But it is so subtle that it works.
The hull color is a bit unusual. Blue would have been recalling the upper funnel color.
But these days, I think she would do with more drastic changes honestly.

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 04-02-2003 08:42 AM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks good, i like the gray hull.
Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 04-02-2003 10:00 AM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nicely done Desirod! Maybe you could show it to the SSUS Foundation? It could become a springboard for renewed discussion about future cruise ship use. Though I really love the subtlety of the modifications, I just wonder if she has enough balconies. I always pictured a rebuild including three full decks of balcony suites, one added entirely above the bridge, with the requisite Norway-esque stubby funnels. Not as atractive as yours, but balconies do seem to be the "thing" these days.
Posts: 944 | From: Philadelphia, USA- former home of International Merchantile and Marine Co. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 04-02-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like Desirod I also worked on a cruise Big U here is my result!

Actually it is not easy to alter her, I wanted to keep her “navy” and sturdy kind of appearance because that is her essence. If you’re not careful then every little alteration erases a bit of that essence.

I looked at the QE2 since she also got the same transference from liner to cruiser (Though QE2 was already build with this in mind) I added the “QE2 like” windshields to her aft section. I did extend the aft decks to create more inner spaces somehow it wasn’t a problem to alter the stern without too much loss of her general appearance. The QE2 like balcony cabins is probably the best solution to ad veranda Cabins (The big rectangular block plunked on the Norway is the worse.)

Between the funnels I created an indoor pool and recreation area with a retractable roof. I extended the promenade which could now hold a Grill with outside terrace. Then there are some small details like cleaning up the cranes and ad six tenders that could be used for harbors with lesser depths.

As for her livery, I’m one of the few that doesn’t mind white hulls and hull art. I left the funnels in original colors, though it would not be a big problem to play a bit with the arrangement of the nationalistic colors. For her hull art I played around with some curved lines to create a bit of optical illusion of waves.

Best, Onno

PS: Desirod I see you already posted your concept, I’ve been a bit busy lately and hadn’t had the time to post it for you.

[ 05-01-2003: Message edited by: Onno ]

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-02-2003 01:58 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No problem Onno,

If I open up a Naval Architecture design studio, you will be my first hire

quote:
Originally posted by Onno:

PS: Desirod I see you already posted your concept, I’ve been a bit busy lately and hadn’t had the time to post it for you.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-02-2003 04:04 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Both are very good.

I like Onno's best (primarily because the new upper decks look better-integrated) but for the QE2-look wind baffles on the aft deck. They are a bit too "swept-back" and somehow conflict with the look of the ship to me.

I also prefer the gray hull of Desirod's design. However it appears to take on a "false sheer" curve which does not look very good IMHO.

Onno's hull paint design is very intriguing, I can't decide if I like it or not . It's so different, I can't make up my mind!

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-02-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I too have worked out a plan to redesign the Big U for cruising. My plan calls for a dramatically new superstructure to be built. #1 Raising the Bridge one deck higher and bringing it a bit more forward. #2 lower the lifeboat deck (one deck) #3 extending the decks further aft for more interior space and more deck space. This design was was based on some ideas Richard Hadley had in the early eighties, but my modifications were more streamlined. Hadley's ideas were more like ssNorway which I'm not crazy about. My design integrates the new balconie sections into the superstructure rather than plopping huge decks ontop like SS Norway.

Onno, Nice work on the graphics...I don't have that capability...I wish I could have someone like you create a better illustration of this design. By the way, this crude design has been reviewed by an investment team and a shipbuilding engineer and the general consenus is that this would be the best way to make the Big U competative within the cruise industry. Her tonnage would be raised to over 65,000 tons. Investors, however prefer to make minimal exterior changes to her superstructure for PHASE ONE, and spend more money on re-engining the ship's aft engine room. PHASE TWO would be to then completely refit the superstructure..."similar" to what I have shown in this initial crude drawings. Below is another close view of the forward part of the superstructure. The design works and she would look even more powerful and "liner-like", yet she would have more efficient use of the space onboard.

Onno, would you be willing to do an artist conception of my design? The ship would have a black hull and the original funnel colors. I could e-mail you the full design if you'd be willing to produce an artist rendition like the one's you have above.

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-02-2003 06:05 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm... I think I prefer Richard Hadley's to the more dramatic version...

The middle section with the balconies is not bad (looks just like QM2) but the forward superstructure ruins her profile, and takes up most of her foredeck (à la SILJA SERENADE/SYMPHONY and countless other big ferries). I also don't like that it is two decks taller under the radar mast... Sure-fire way to ruin the aesthetics of a ship IMHO.

She has a very obvious "conversion" look (like COSTA RIVIERA). Also makes me wonder, what is the point of using the hull if her original aesthetics amount to the use of the original funnels? At this point, it would be easier (and possibly cheaper) to build a new ship with similar aesthetics - something that would be to SSUS what QM2 is to QE2 (though without the huge jump in size).

Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-02-2003 06:57 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cruiseny,

Yes the forward section is a bit much...there is another design that brings 2 of the decks together rather than splitting them all up. Actually the original features are the funnels and the hull of course. It is the hull that is very costly to reproduce nowdays. SS United States has a very strong hull that would cost a fortune to reproduce. Yes this design takes away from the original design and look, but that design and look is outdated today...a new design like this would make the ship more competative in today's market and greatly increase her interior space. If you saw Hadley's design and this one side-by-side you would see that this design is the more desireable look. Also in Hadley's design there was a HUGE forward lounge above the bridge that just plain looked too BIG and tall. This design is more streamlined. It's hard to see from this drawing but there are many similarilties to the QM2's balconied areas, but mostly this design was more patterned after the new Radisson ships.

Also, I like Onno's and Desirod's ideas, but they wouldn't work considering the ship's width. It looks as though their designs with the balconies would be contained within the area "between" the lifeboats, but the ship's current structure wouldn't allow it because of the machinery below the first and aft funnel. The balconies would have to extend "over" the lifeboats. Like I said I wish I had a better graphic so people could SEE how this design really works.

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: Barryboat ]

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-02-2003 07:23 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My concept is that the forward engine room be shut down and turned into a museum, like the Queen Mary 1. Notice my balconies stop just before the #2 funnel fan room. The fan room is exposed on the #2 funnel on Norway like an open pit. QE2's balconies stop just before the funnel.

The aft engine foom would be used. Original engines using 2 boilers or modern smokeless diesels, choice to be studied. 60,000 horsepower will drive the BigU at 27 knots. With modern propellors and just 2 of them probably faster.

30 knots on deck at sea is enough wind to knock one over. Try standing up in a convertible at speed.

Onno and I are in the same profession and have the same education, albiet different specialties. We are a generation apart in schooling, and Europeans have a different design approach than Americans. I have studied in Denmark and have European clients.

Our differences create the synergy as much as the similarities.

quote:
Originally posted by Barryboat:
cruiseny,

Also, I like Onno's and Desirod's ideas, but they wouldn't work considering the ship's width. It looks as though their designs with the balconies would be contained within the area "between" the lifeboats, but the ship's current structure wouldn't allow it because of the machinery below the first and aft funnel. The balconies would have to extend "over" the lifeboats. Like I said I wish I had a better graphic so people could SEE how this design really works.

[ 04-02-2003: Message edited by: Barryboat ]

Sokker14
First Class Passenger
Member # 2944

posted 04-05-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for Sokker14   Email Sokker14   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I want to applaud both Onno and Desirod for their amazing renditions of a rebuilt United States. I have taken Onno's incredible rebuild, and massivly overhauled it in an effort that I believe would add 20,000 tons. I want to post the picture on the post, (with Onno's permission, of course) but I cannot figure out how to do this. Can someone explain how to do this?

By the way, my re-do of Onno's re-do includes the following:

A) Extension of Onno's new balcony deck towards the rear

B) Addition of similar balcony deck above that deck, also extended rearward

C) Addition of glass-enclosed upper deck along the length of original upper deck that would include floor to ceiling windows for the Magradoom mid-ships pool (as in Onno's), as well as new lidos, span, and two deck, glass enclosed forward observation lounge above the bridge

D) Superstructure extended forward slightly with bridge extended forward as well. Also, new whaleback-style forward superstructure connecting orignal promenade deck to bow. There is still a very long foc'sle

E) Extension of all stern decks to the rear. New open air pool aft of the second funnel, on new lido deck.

F) New stern mast aft of second funnel that is similar to main mast

I know that this sounds like a massive overhaul that could look monstrous. However, you should see how amazing she looks. The revised ship has an essence that the Disney ships tried to capture, and a regal-ness that QM2 doesn't possess.

I would love to hear your thoughts if I can figure out how to post the pic. Thanks everyone, especially Onno and Desirod!

Posts: 34 | From: New Orleans | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-06-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is Hadley's final design for the Big U The date on this plan is 1986.

sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 04-07-2003 09:06 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BARRYBOAT,
your redesign of the Big U remind me of Lelakis Santa Rosa into Regent Rainbow, now Emerald.
I always found that the Santa pair looked like a little United States, until I realised that William Francis Gibbs designed both!
I saw your fantastic photos onboard the Big U, and some are almost from Vertical Limit or Cliffhanger movies!
Glad to know I am not alone.
I did climb into QE2 funnels after conversion to diesels, and did the Titanic stem bit at 30 knots!
I wish I had the negatives and scan them, but perhaps someone will.

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-07-2003 09:48 AM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is the Titanic stem bit?

Here is a new scanned updated version of my design which I wasn't able to scan before because of it's size.

Here's a closer view of the restructured forward section. The bridge is all enclosed with lot's of glass. There are two different sized balconied staterooms. As you can see the lifeboats were shifted down one deck to accomodate the new balconied staterooms.

[ 04-07-2003: Message edited by: Barryboat ]

Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-08-2003 04:30 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see what others think about my design. Any comments?
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-08-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'd like to see what others think about my design.

To be frank, I still don't like it that much. The superstructure and hull just don't "mesh" right... To me it screams, "conversion". It looks top-heavy... The blue hull looks seems about to disappear beneath that massive superstructure.

And the lack of sheer in the superstructure compounds the whole thing.

It just doesn't look "right" to me.

BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 04-08-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Barryboat.

While your design has merit and presents valid points, I think I like Hadley's design better. It seems to flow better in terms of the manner in which the decks terrace downward towards the stern. It's just more aesthetically pleasing. Your design smacks a bit of how the Norway was redesigned, particularly aft, and I've always felt that that's where the Norway's redesign went most wrong. No offense, of course.

Desirod7, your design is quite nice, but I suspect it will not be very competitive. The "veranda-mania" factor has your design lacking a bit.

Of course, while part of me would love to see the old girl sailing again, I hate the thought of possibly losing her forever in a mishap at sea, as so often happens with many such projects, typically because they are run by incompetents. Therefore, I have to continue to support the Foundation's ultimate goal.

Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-08-2003 07:09 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With the latest drawing above it's tough to see the aft decks the way they would really look....a deck plan would be easier to see how it would flow. By the way there would be "sheer" to the new superstructure. Hadley's design is "really" topheavy...far more so than my design. Actually the aft decks were somewhat patterned after the Normandie...terraced like a liner not a cruise ship. If this were redesigned like a cruise ship or the Regent Rainbow conversion...there would be a solid structure that goes nearly all the way aft...she would look boxy. There are only "two" decks of balconies above the lifeboats, except when you consider the forward "smaller" balconied staterooms which rise up four deck similar in design to the new Silversea or Radisson ships. Again on the aft deck all the way at the top is a lounge / restaurant similar to the Verandah Grill on the Queen Mary (1936). There's plenty of deck space and no magradome, but a nice pool between the funnels. All the way forward is a beautiful garden lounge and Library. The hull is actually "black" as she was originally painted...just looks blue in the image above. The only thing missing in this image is the four launches that would be positioned aft and midship.
Oh, the mast is the original too.

I appreciate your comments! I welcome more comments.

ROTTERBRANDT
unregistered

posted 04-13-2003 10:07 AM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'd like to see what others think about my design. Any comments?

Why not take a Vista class hull, lenghten the bow, and replicate the BigU stacks. The '50's decor inside could be copied.

Yes,the BIgU hull would be very expensive to build new, but who needs it. The low deckheads and many subdivisions are a big compromise for the unneeded increased strength in warm water cruising.

Barry, you have essentially turned the BigU into a caricature of itself. I recall from a previous post you made, that you proposed it to an investment group and the BigU foundation and was rejected.

IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-13-2003 10:33 AM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CANBERRA1961,

quote:
I recall from a previous post you made, that you proposed it to an investment group and the BigU foundation and was rejected.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I did speak to someone with the SS United States Foundation, and they are opposed to ANY modifications to the original ship. They want to make the Big U into a museum, but she wouldn't make a good museum, because all of her interior is GONE. I've also had conversations with the current owner, and they were intrigued with the ideas I shared. Regarding my investment group, that process is still ongoing. The drawing above would be a phase 2 process. The first objective is to re-engine the ship and make very little change to her original superstructure. Phase 2 would take place several years after she is in service.

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-13-2003 07:28 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I did speak to someone with the SS United States Foundation, and they are opposed to ANY modifications to the original ship. They want to make the Big U into a museum, but she wouldn't make a good museum, because all of her interior is GONE.

If they don't want any modifications, I think they're a little late. Tearing out her interiors is certainly a modification!

If what they're proposing is to rebuild the ship to 100% original specifications as a museum, I'd say these people had ought to have their heads examined.

I could see even if they wanted her exterior to remain original, but nobody in their right mind would rebuild the interiors to original specifications. While a restoration a decade or two ago could certainly have saved and preserved some of the more desirable aspects of her original interiors, the original layout etc. would be unsuitable for anything and everything you could possibly do with a ship in this day and age.

Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 04-14-2003 06:28 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JOE:
Onno, I also was thinking about modifying your design a bit. You have 38 balcony cabins aft of the bridge. I was thinking of adding 4 more for a total of 42 on one side. The grand total would be 84 balcony cabins. I was thinking on adding an additional deck making it have a total of 168 balcony cabins. But it would make her top heavy. I could put four balcony suites aft surrounding the new pool.

Hello Joe,

I have no problems if you show my design with credits to me, but I can not approve adjusting or adding to my rendition. Then I would suggest you make your own rendition.

Best, Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-14-2003 06:58 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno... Why not contact NCL with your idea? It can't hurt and I for one like it a lot . OK, the hull color is not my cup of tea, but it really does preserve her profile while adding those balconies.

Even a second extra deck, I think, would not ruin her profile too badly, though of course I would prefer only one.

What Barry proposes, IMHO, does. I hope NCL does not do something like that, though it is still of course better than the alternative, which is just leaving her to rust right into the water, or having her end her days at some scrapyard someplace...

Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 04-14-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseny:
Onno... Why not contact NCL with your idea? It can't hurt and I for one like it a lot . OK, the hull color is not my cup of tea, but it really does preserve her profile while adding those balconies.

Even a second extra deck, I think, would not ruin her profile too badly, though of course I would prefer only one.

What Barry proposes, IMHO, does. I hope NCL does not do something like that, though it is still of course better than the alternative, which is just leaving her to rust right into the water, or having her end her days at some scrapyard someplace...

Maybe I will. Of course the hull coloring pattern was just for fun, though I myself like it (but then again it could look horrible on a real ship) An extra deck of balconies wouldn’t hurt as well though it does make her look less sleek.

Best, Onno

[ 04-14-2003: Message edited by: Onno ]

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.