- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The SS United States Conservancy which has been looking for ways to preserve the former record setting ocean liner for more than a decade, released the following statement in response to press reports that the ship had been sold and would be sunk to provide an artifical reef off the coast of Florida. The statement follows: We understand that many of you are deeply concerned about the fate of the SS United States...

Latest News...Carnival Splendor is sailing home to Sydney with a range of new onboard enhancements following her dry dock in Singapore. The ship, which will return to Sydney Harbor on Sept. 9, now boasts updated dining venues, various stateroom and amenity refurbishments, and the striking red, white, and blue hull design that’s become the trademark look of Carnival’s fleet...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line today announced an array of new itineraries for seven of its ships setting sail in 2026 and 2027 from four of its U.S. homeports: Miami, Port Canaveral, Galveston and Baltimore. Among the many destinations featured in the new itineraries is Half Moon Cay, a private island set for expansion. The highly rated destination known for relaxing,...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ship Pictures and Videos   » Voyager caught in a cyclone in the Mediterranean Sea.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Voyager caught in a cyclone in the Mediterranean Sea.
BYEFairwind
First Class Passenger
Member # 4416

posted 03-27-2007 07:53 AM      Profile for BYEFairwind        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice rockin and rolling.

http://www.break.com/index/cruise_ship_caught_in_cyclone.html

Posts: 21 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 03-27-2007 03:59 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Properly speaking, there are no cyclones in the Med. There are storms, sometimes huge storms as violent as some hurricanes, but fortunately no cyclones.
Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 03-27-2007 04:23 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
at least it wasn't Oceanos Part 2...
Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-27-2007 04:54 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is that the same storm that blew out the bridge windows? It seems that those two ships are not the best riding ships around today. It there a problem w/there hull design?
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
oslo dutch
First Class Passenger
Member # 4669

posted 03-27-2007 06:46 PM      Profile for oslo dutch     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
Is that the same storm that blew out the bridge windows? It seems that those two ships are not the best riding ships around today. It there a problem w/there hull design?

In 2001 I cruised on Olympia voyager for a week from Athens to Venice, Korfu, Santorini, Istanbul, Rhodes and back to Athens. The last night was rather bumpy and it became very evident she was nto a terribly good seaship.

We had a good time even though it was not outstanding. So no surprise Rolyal Olympia went bust.
I was a nice ship but somehow something was missing.

Reint

Posts: 349 | From: Oslo | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 03-27-2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those 2 Olympia sisters are extremely flat. I even think they would look much better with one or two extra decks, which is quite remarkable as most of other newbuilts really looks top heavy.

So as I said, those vessels are very flat and we would expect them to have a better sea keeping ability than other cruise ships. Actually, it seems to be all the contrary. Ernst already explained us many times that height had almost nothing to do with stability. I've read those Olympia ships hull were designed mainly to allow high speeds with minimal fuel consumption. Perhaps the element sacrified in the process was stability (?).

Anyway, one obvious weakness can be noticed on these ships : the bridge is very low and very close to the bow, making it extremely vulnerable.

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 03-27-2007 09:15 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That was amazing footage...terrible seakeeping abilities...but then again they were built for speed. It would be interesting to see footage like that of QM2 in extreme seas.
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-27-2007 09:50 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeBarryboat:
It would be interesting to see footage like that of QM2 in extreme seas.

I think both QE2 and QM2 would just continue to charge along at 25 knots in those seas.

Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 03-28-2007 12:20 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The "storm" just doesn't look that bad. Perhaps the ship is not a good sea boat.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-28-2007 03:29 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think both QE2 and QM2 would just continue to charge along at 25 knots in those seas.

I suspect that they would have to slow down for reasons of passenger comfort!

[ 03-28-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 03-28-2007 06:43 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian_O:
The "storm" just doesn't look that bad. Perhaps the ship is not a good sea boat.

Brian

We have to consider the fact that this footage was taken while this ship was adrift, completely dead in the water with no power (the bridge windows were crushed, the computers and other systems were flooded). A ship whithout propulsion is defenseless against the waves.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-28-2007 08:58 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pascal:

We have to consider the fact that this footage was taken while this ship was adrift, completely dead in the water with no power (the bridge windows were crushed, the computers and other systems were flooded). A ship whithout propulsion is defenseless against the waves.

Exactly! Even QM2 and QE2 would bob around like a cork if they were stranded in very rough seas with no power. Not a good situation for any ship to be in.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5115

posted 03-28-2007 10:50 AM      Profile for 6263866   Email 6263866   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember that Voyager is a relativly small ship at around 50,00 tons I believe
Posts: 580 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
BYEFairwind
First Class Passenger
Member # 4416

posted 03-28-2007 11:13 AM      Profile for BYEFairwind        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Properly speaking, there are no cyclones in the Med. There are storms, sometimes huge storms as violent as some hurricanes, but fortunately no cyclones.

Pascal, you are correct that there are no tropical cyclones in the Med, however the term cyclone can apply to any circulating low pressure system. I had just copied headline from the video. Given the wave heights being described as 10m I'd say it was about a force 10 "storm" on the Beaufort scale. Anyway enough semantics. Having been through and enjoyed a similar storm on the old Veendam in 70s I'm not sure I would have had enjoyment if we'd lost propulsion. I found this article on the BBC that gives a nice account of the Voyager incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4264661.stm

Posts: 21 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
recab
First Class Passenger
Member # 1677

posted 03-28-2007 11:18 AM      Profile for recab   Email recab   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 6263866:
Remember that Voyager is a relativly small ship at around 50,00 tons I believe

The Grand Voyager (ex Voyager) is 24391 GT. But size has nothing to do with the pictures. As Pascal and eroller says "without propulsion a ship is defensless". I have beeen onboard a ship more than five times bigger than the Voyager, when we had to stop engines in the middle of a storm and I can assure you that we were rolling.

Posts: 730 | From: Aland, Finland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 03-28-2007 11:25 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yikes! Frightening video. I would hate to be onboard.

[ 03-29-2007: Message edited by: Waynaro ]

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-28-2007 12:31 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian_O:

Brian

I agree. These ships apparently are not the best sea boats w/their unique high speed hulls and shallow draft.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-28-2007 01:09 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by recab:

The Grand Voyager (ex Voyager) is 24391 GT. But size has nothing to do with the pictures. As Pascal and eroller says "without propulsion a ship is defenseless". I have been onboard a ship more than five times bigger than the Voyager, when we had to stop engines in the middle of a storm and I can assure you that we were rolling.

Great example. It really doesn't matter how great a ship handles when moving if it has lost all power. Hulls and stabilizers are all designed based on the fact a ship is moving, not standing still. The largest and best seaboat in the world will bob like a cork and roll tremendously if caught in the same conditions that Voyager found herself in with no power.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 03-28-2007 02:27 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yikes! Was anyone onboard?
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PamM
Cruise Director
Member # 2127

posted 03-28-2007 02:48 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Read the link above Cunard Fan, it has all the info, it was in the middle of a regular cruise.

Rotterdam was also tossed about in this manner when she lost power in the back end of a hurricane, for even longer IIRC, some 3 years ago. But I don't think there was anyone on hand to take such a video. Just as many people were injured.. there is nothing to stop the cork scenario with no power

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 03-28-2007 04:43 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, thank you Pam I didn't even see the link.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Magic Pipe
First Class Passenger
Member # 6994

posted 03-28-2007 07:38 PM      Profile for Magic Pipe     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I agree. These ships apparently are not the best sea boats w/their unique high speed hulls and shallow draft.

Actually, they have a draft of 7.3 m, which is quite deep for their size (Compare it to an R-class, which has nearly identical L and B, but T=5.8 m).

These ships probably have quite low metacentric height, owing to their relatavely deep draft and waterplane shape.

Posts: 213 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5115

posted 03-29-2007 12:43 AM      Profile for 6263866   Email 6263866   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Grand Voyager (ex Voyager) is 24391 GT. But size has nothing to do with the pictures. As Pascal and eroller says "without propulsion a ship is defensless". I have beeen onboard a ship more than five times bigger than the Voyager, when we had to stop engines in the middle of a storm and I can assure you that we were rolling.
quote:

I am wondering why engines would be cut?
I remember Ecstasy rocking and rolling after she was heading towards Kartina relief, waves so large her propellers would show.

Posts: 580 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
Cruise Director
Member # 2127

posted 03-29-2007 06:59 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trials or tests of some sort maybe.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
recab
First Class Passenger
Member # 1677

posted 03-29-2007 07:59 AM      Profile for recab   Email recab   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Trials or tests of some sort maybe.

Pam

Exactely Pam and in related case also trying to fix a nonfunctioning "free fluttering" stabilizer fin.

Posts: 730 | From: Aland, Finland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.