- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...It's time to gear up for weekend energy any day of the week. Royal Caribbean International officially welcomed the next big thing in vacations to the family: Utopia of the Seas. A celebration fit for the ultimate short getaway was had in Saint-Nazaire, France, as the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard handed Royal Caribbean the keys to Utopia just five weekends before its July ...

Latest News...The future of elevated travel at sea reached a major milestone today, as construction commenced for Celebrity Cruises' next ship, Celebrity Xcel. The keel laying ceremony at the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France celebrated the momentous occasion for the latest and most elevated vessel in Celebrity's award-winning Edge Series ships. When she sets sail...

Latest News...The newly designed Margaritaville at Sea Islander set sail today on her inaugural voyage, departing from Port Tampa Bay to Cozumel, Mexico, on a four-night journey. The fully reimagined ship spans 12 passenger decks, accommodating up to 2,650 adventure-seeking passengers and offers an array of exciting new dining, entertainment, and island destinations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » The end of an era: P&O Princess to become Carnival (UK) (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: The end of an era: P&O Princess to become Carnival (UK)
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 01-12-2003 01:35 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When did Carnival become an American company anyway? Their registered headquarters is in Panama City, all of their ships are foregin built and flagged, they employ no American officers, and have substantial holdings in The Netherlands, Italy, and U.K. Their operational headquarters may be in Miami and a majority of their passengers may be American, but that's about it. Carnival is no more American than Sony or Daewoo.
Posts: 944 | From: Philadelphia, USA- former home of International Merchantile and Marine Co. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 01-12-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Britanis:
When did Carnival become an American company anyway? Their registered headquarters is in Panama City, all of their ships are foregin built and flagged, they employ no American officers, and have substantial holdings in The Netherlands, Italy, and U.K. Their operational headquarters may be in Miami and a majority of their passengers may be American, but that's about it. Carnival is no more American than Sony or Daewoo.

They are American as apple pie, majority owned by American's and run by American citizens. Sure they have an office in Panama or where ever for tax reasons, just like many American corporations have so-called headquarters in Bermuda and other places. Their true headquarters is in Miami, which is where the Chairman and CEO has his offices, and where all executive decisions are made. They are not governed by a headquarters in another country (such as P&O - UK; Crystal - Japan; ROC - Greece; etc.).

I guess they are American enough that P&O/Princess will have to cancel all the Aida Line calls at Cuba, due to American laws. The same thing happened when Carnival purchased Costa, all Cuba calls had to be canceled.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 01-12-2003 03:18 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Britanis
The takeover of P&O-Princess was the only way to ensure Carnival's continued dominance in the cruise industry. Why shouldn't the most intelligent and most ambitious be able to rise above the rest? If P&O Princess had come up with the "Fun Ship" concept 30 years ago, perhaps they would have been in a position to buy out Carnival. Those looking for variety and competition shouldn't dispair, who knows what the future may bring: perhaps a Festival/Royal Olympic/Louis merger, or continued expansion by Royal Caribbean, Star, and Disney will reduce Carnival's lead. Or, maybe whole new conglamorates will arise during the 21st century and absorb the current industry leaders.
Twenty years ago, could anyone have imagined the downfall of Kloster Cruise and Carnival's rise to total dominance? I doubt it.

If you go back to thirty years ago, you will find that none of the major players in the cruise industry back then still exist at all.

I don't see any reason to think that this cycle of change and growth will stop. We'll just have to wait until 2023 to see just how much the new Carnival Group impacts competition in the long run.

Finally, don't be sad about the death of the P&O-Princess name, after all its just a name. Maybe a new British cruise conglamorate will rise and buy out Carnival in thirty years time. You just never know.

A Festival/MSC/Louis Cruise Line merger sounds good? Then RCCL/Celebrity could buy Royal Olympic. What will it take for a company "thirty years" later to buy out Carnival? With the latest merger, I don't think there is anyway Carnival will colapse since they will be the most powerful corporation there is in the cruise industries.

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 01-12-2003 04:31 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro:I don't think there is anyway Carnival will colapse since they will be the most powerful corporation there is in the cruise industrie

You may be right, but keep in mind that's exactly what people thought of the International Mercantile Marine Corporation. IMM totally controlled all shipping on the North Atlantic from 1902 onward, they bought out most of their competitors, and formed anti-competitive agreements with the rest. Then they collapsed in the mid 1920's.

Fourty years ago, Cunard was a shipping giant, with over 100 ships of all types; who could have predicted that by 2000 they would have a corporate fleet of just 5.

Kloster Cruise Ltd. was a cruise giatn in the 1970's and 80's, with Norweigan Caribbean, Norweigan Capricorn, Royal Viking, and Royal. Where are they now?

As I said, only time will tell...

Posts: 944 | From: Philadelphia, USA- former home of International Merchantile and Marine Co. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 01-12-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Britannis
Fourty years ago, Cunard was a shipping giant, with over 100 ships of all types; who could have predicted that by 2000 they would have a corporate fleet of just 5.

I always thought that Cunard sold off their interest in the shipping business by getting rid of their cargo ships?

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Šraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 01-14-2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Šraikar   Email Šraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keitaro:

I always thought that Cunard sold off their interest in the shipping business by getting rid of their cargo ships?

Cunard had a split business of cruise in one spot and cargo in another spot in a nice split setup (lines used to own many lines they took over so it was easier this way if they want to sell one off or seem bigger).

Its the same way they operated way back like the others, remember cargo business was a HARD BUSINESS, the ending of transatlantic ships made many company's turn to cargo like Canadian Pacific Line, Hamburg Amerika Line, Matson Line, and so on. Its odd that the BIG cargo company's of the past died like many transatlantic companys, they never could compete with bigger and better crane's and large cargo holds. Some merged with others and don't exist like Blue Funnel Line, Palm Line and I heard Blue Star Line is not so well off since they stopped taking passengers or passenger cargo cruises with there NEW ships i don't care ! (but they are like the cunard of cargo cruises)

Cunard's last cargo lines was of common cargo and the other line was fruit cargo but do not know if they were advertised Cunard or Cunard Silver Line that they took over or another name of a former company they took over

Here is a Cunard ship i just added to my page i bet you can never guess, she is half cargo / half passenger ship... remember cargo ships only have like 15 -30 passengers in a one class 2nt class setup with dinner and other stuff with crew (like you are part of the crew but you don't work) and other stuff with crew/passenger but crews job is too the ship first and not your "comport" The ship below was with Cunard from 1951 - 1963.

Šraikar

[ 01-14-2003: Message edited by: Šraikar ]

Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 01-14-2003 07:55 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Draikar....Either the Alsatia ex Silverplane or Andria ex Silverbriar. Blt 1948 by J.L.Thompson. Sunderland for Silver Line's Round-the- World service and bought by Cunard in 1951 -Cunard did not buy Silver Line.
Cunard needed them for it's London - New York cargo service which it had been running with the Liberty ships Vandalia and Vardulia.

The for'd funnel was a dummy and had the chartroom, radio room and Master's cabin. They were designed for 12 passengers with Silver line but Cunard did not carry pax on their cargo vessels and the accomodation was used by the officers.

Normally cargo vessels do not carry more than 12 passengers as a Doctor is then required, so obviously passenger numbers have to jump considerably to make that economic.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Šraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 01-16-2003 07:55 PM      Profile for Šraikar   Email Šraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was the Alsatia but that's all I know for sure anyway. Its hard to come by information on cargo ships.

Back on topic,
When will we start seeing changes made to P&O by Carnival ?

Šraikar

Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SydneyBoy
First Class Passenger
Member # 2543

posted 01-17-2003 12:19 AM      Profile for SydneyBoy   Email SydneyBoy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carnival Corp IS AMERICAN! That you can be sure of!

And the Brits havnt done anything wrong with Princess, or P&O, infact the opposite, its a bloody good business, one of the biggest and most well known cruise company's in the world, and thats exactly why Carnival wants them! Oh and because they dont want them to join with RCCI - beacause that would mean Carnival would actually have to compete!

To think P&O needed "rescueing" like Cunard did is just rediculous! P&O Princess is in the middle of a long term business strategy with a major shipbuilding and worldwide expansion program, including the creation of Ocean Village and the expansion of Aida, P&O and P&O Australia operations.

P&O Princess doesnt need to be bought by or merge with anyone, they are quite capable of pursuing their own operations independantly, they were simply joining forces with RCCI because they had compatible companies and it would ensure them a strong future and provide them with the muscle to match Carnival, it was a logical merger which would have allowed both companies to grow stronger while retaining their heritage.

Its clear the board of P&O Princess had no interest in dealing with Carnival but have been forced into a corner where they have no option, Carnival doesnt want to compete with a company of equal size and they will do anything to not only keep P&O Princess and RCCI apart but also to swallow up one of them!

How the American and European competition authorites could allow Carnival Corp this rediculous step over 50% market share is beyond comprehension!

Posts: 180 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
claudio
First Class Passenger
Member # 1214

posted 01-17-2003 03:53 AM      Profile for claudio   Email claudio   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
looks like im the only one who thinks this merger might actually improve things especially for us aussies, you all seem to forget P&O brought out sitmar and effectively monopilised the aussie market. As a result we aussies have been screwed by P& O ever since. While the U.S and U.K market have their loyalty schemes for frequent travellers with special offers P&O have been pretty tight fisted with any offers to the aussie market especially for teenagers and kids as soon as you hit 12 here thats it full price. i stress my coments relate to the aussie market only. i m sad this has happened but thats the realities iof modern economics, i feel sorry for all the people who are going to get the flick
Posts: 468 | From: melbourne australia | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
koch
First Class Passenger
Member # 1483

posted 01-17-2003 08:19 AM      Profile for koch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i think that one of the reasons for Carnivals interest inm P&O / Princess is the european market, even with most of erupean countries economical problems the cruise demand is growing and will grow for several more years - since Carneval itself has only Costa Cruise in Europe they are for sure interessted in using the name <<princess & P&O which are very known brands (far better known and far better reputation than Carnival) here in europe for marketing their products and to get deeper into the european maket which is the market of the future - the US market is soon overload already
Posts: 138 | From: all over the 7 seas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 01-17-2003 10:19 AM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SydneyBoy said it beautifully. It was not weakness that led to P&O Princess being purchased- but success.

You didn't see anyone in a hurry to buy Premier Cruises, or Renniassance, or United States Lines. When a company is profitable other companies what an piece of the action.

I have always been against any merger idea with P&O Princess, but if a merger had to happen I would have preferred it happen with RCI- for two reasons:
1. It was a consentual merger where the leadership of both companies felt it was a positive move... no one was being forced into a merger. Some sources have said that Princess and RCI have been in casual talks about a merger for almost 10 years.
2. P&O Princess + Royal Caribbean would have been an excellent balance to the overwhelming power of Carnival Corp. The two companies would have been nearly equal in size, power, and market share (with the new P&O/RCI only slightly larger). Under the new merger with Carnival we'll have one monster running the show without anyone else even close in size.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 01-27-2003 02:12 AM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I lived in the Yukon for 10 yrs and have lived in BC for most of my life (including Vancouver area) And I agree that The Land Tours should be kept seperate as they would have a major uproar if they got rid of the Westours name and I can't imagine The Westmark Hotels being renamed Princess Hotels in the Yukon/Alaska. Also Westours/Holland America contribute a fair bit of tourist $$ to The Yukon's economy, especially Whitehorse! They may overlap but their is definently enough business to keep the two brands seperate as Princess could now use Westmark Hotels on their tours,but either way Their is enough Hotels/buses.etc for the two companies to share and maybe they will call it Princess Westours...what a tacky name!

I oppose the Carnival/Princess combination anyway as they will have a monoply on Alaska.. what I think they should do is the regulators should restrict Carnival to the number of ships they can send to Alaska between the brands and force them to give up some of their overlapping Alaska based assets... as well as in the UK they should only be able to operate the Princess brand and not Carnival, same with In Germany one brand should be knocked out. That would be fair for all! As what would happen if Pepsi bought Coke, do you think that would ever win approval, doubt it as then they would all use the same bottles,same plants and lay off thousands as they integrated operations!

Do you think Carnival is going to keep all those buses and sales offices seperate and do you think they are going to keep their Alaska Rail cars seperate, This is the Real World anything to save$$!!

Posts: 865 | From: Grande Prairie,Alberta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-01-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gpcruisedude:
I oppose the Carnival/Princess combination anyway as they will have a monoply on Alaska.. what I think they should do is the regulators should restrict Carnival to the number of ships they can send to Alaska between the brands and force them to give up some of their overlapping Alaska based assets... as well as in the UK they should only be able to operate the Princess brand and not Carnival, same with In Germany one brand should be knocked out. That would be fair for all! As what would happen if Pepsi bought Coke, do you think that would ever win approval, doubt it as then they would all use the same bottles,same plants and lay off thousands as they integrated operations!

I think Carnival's only monopoly in Alaska is HAL. Carnival Cruise Line only has one ship going there. I agree that Carnival/Princess should sell off some assets in Alaska. I hope they keep everything seperate.

K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 02-08-2003 11:45 PM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do not think Carnival's deal should be referred to as a merger. If RCI had won out then RCI and Princess would have combined their respective cruise products. Where Carnival just bought Princess out right and if keeping with past practice they will leave the basic cruise experience intact.
Anyone who had cruised RCCL in the 70's to 80's would realize that the current company RCI has torn apart that cruise product and I believe that they would have done that with an RCI/Princess merger.
I agree that Princess was strong and that Carnival only stepped in to avoid a company that would have been as strong as them

Just my thoughts
Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.