- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Carnival cruise

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carnival cruise
jake14
First Class Passenger
Member # 602

posted 05-20-1999 12:12 AM      Profile for jake14   Email jake14   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
how do you feel about the carnival cruise lines. what did you like the best?
Pam
First Class Passenger
Member # 360

posted 05-21-1999 08:44 AM      Profile for Pam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Carnival has improved greatly over the years. If I mention Carnival sometimes I still get the "they have kegs of beer int he halls".

I believe in the past few years they have changed the qualifications to teenagers traveling onboard.

Carnival is not ritzy but however you dress thier are people to match some dress up some dress down. I like it cause you can be yourself and be a little of both.

Eileen
First Class Passenger
Member # 141

posted 05-22-1999 11:19 AM      Profile for Eileen   Email Eileen   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have only been on two cruises, one on Royal Carribean the other on Carnival's Sensation. I thought the food was about the same on both lines-though the entertainment in terms of variety was better on Carnival-it could also be a function of the fact that the Sensation was almost twice the size of the Song of America. The cabin size was also better on the Sensation.
Posts: 45 | From: Peekskill, NY USA | Registered: A Long Time Ago!
jake14
First Class Passenger
Member # 602

posted 05-22-1999 12:45 PM      Profile for jake14   Email jake14   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, that sound pretty good? How about the ships? Can you feel them move?
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-22-1999 01:17 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It does not matter how big a ship is, if the sea moves, the ship moves! Some people get sick at the slightest rock & roll, other's don't at all.

However, most Cruise ships tend to cruise the calm waters of the summer. Don't worry, if it happens..it happens! (Most Cruise lines provide free tablets if required).

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 05-22-1999 10:59 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jake14, The Carnival ships (and many other popular cruise lines) are designed for the smooth waters of the Caribbean. They have a shallow draft and huge bulbous bows. The Carnival Chips particularily are very tall and "box" shaped. There function is to carry cruise passengers from port to port with efficiency, unlike the ocean liners of the past which were built to be solid in the water and very stable for the comfort of the passengers. Because of the shape of these Carnival ships and their shallow draft, they tend to list heavily when the wind picks up, or when they turn. In rough weather they ride very rough accross the ocean, unlike the Rembrandt, or the QE-2 which are deep hulled ships designed for rough weather. Carnival has indeed improved their image and service over the last few years. The Carnival ships look very conventional. When a Carnival ship and a Royal Caribbean ship are seen side-by side, it is very obvious which ship is a class act. Carnival ships lack the elegance in shipbuilding in contrast to classy Royal Caribbean ships.
Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99
Bruin Steve
Just Boarded
Member # 54

posted 05-24-1999 01:21 PM      Profile for Bruin Steve   Email Bruin Steve   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, Barry is obviously an connisseur of fine shipbuilding...I would add some caution here that it does vary from ship to ship even within the various cruise lines, although the majority of Carnival's fleet at present is of the same prototype: The Elation, Paradise, etc...a 70,000 ton ship, that, as Barry pronounced, is not really designed as an ocean-going, rough sea craft...of course, this is generally alright since it isn't doing North Atlantic crossings like, say, the QEII...Floating down the coast from LA to PV to Mazatlan to Cabo on the Elation will seldom land you in rough seas...The ship is designed well enough to give you a nice steady experience...

As to the class of folks cruising on any one line (a bad rap Carnival often gets), just realize this:

***Cruising has reached a price affordability level such that it is open to almost everyone...So, you get a wide range of cruisers...

***Lines such as Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Princess advertise extensively and are really going after a lot of the same market...

*** Who you get on each ship depends a lot on factors other than the cruise line: Mainly price and length:
--Short cruises (3 and 4 days) are the entry level bonanza for those with less money...including rowdy college kids...
--Long cruises (10+ days) require a bit more money and more leisure time and attract more well-to-do folks and retired people...
--Well advertised bargains, such as Norwegian's Texarribean, are aimed at bringing in folks usually not into cruising...but they're also a bargain because they're using an older ship with lesser amenities...I would rather cruise on a newer Carnival ship than an older Norwegian...
--High end Cruise lines (The ones not mentioned above with the ultra high $ per day prices) are not going to attract young folks, families, anyone to whom price is a concern...

Getting back to Carnival...Yes, their image is not what, say, Princess or RCI is...and their costs are reasonable...and, remember, in cruising, like anything else, you get what you pay for...But, no, I would have no qualms about going on Carnival, especially on a 7-day cruise on one of their newer ships...

The food is good, though not gourmet class...
The entertainment is actually very good (compared to other competing cruise lines)...
The rooms are small (but everyone's are)
The on-board amenities are just fine (My kids pick: The pools have slides)...

It all depends who you are and how picky you are...

My advice: Go, have fun...

jake14
First Class Passenger
Member # 602

posted 05-24-1999 07:29 PM      Profile for jake14   Email jake14   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hmm...
sounds good. The QE2 was also biult long ago...therefore it was and is build for very luxurious crossings for average and some very wealthy people. Cruiseing is the most popular vacation now, so things have to change sometimes. please write back.

scotto
First Class Passenger
Member # 766

posted 05-25-1999 11:48 PM      Profile for scotto     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bruin Steve, your comments are really on the mark and thanks for making them. I agree entirely except for the part about Carnival's small rooms. Most people find them to be at least as big as or bigger than the competition.

As for the elegance in shipbuilding angle, I've always thought Carnival's ships looked excessively boxy from the outside, but it's really kind of irrelevant. The food, service, entertainment and what kind of good time you have inside the ship are what really matter. I would not want to go through the North Atlantic in a Carnival ship, or RCCL or Princess either, but most of the modern ships aren't designed for that.

Carnival Triumph
First Class Passenger
Member # 67

posted 06-05-1999 05:47 AM      Profile for Carnival Triumph     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to add that rooms on ships are not suppose to be a 5,000 square foot home. All rooms in hotels,ships, buses, are gonna be smaller than your average rooms at home, but when you look at OTHER CRUISE LINES you will find that Carnivals rooms are slightly larger than other cruise lines, I mean gosh, if you wanna big room, just get a Penthouse suit and be done with it, but the average person dont spend much time in there room because you are usually out having fun. so i am right with you on that part Scotto about rooms being bigger than the competition.
About looking boxy.....well....you just gotta keep in mind...look at cars back in the 80's look how boxy they were. They were not rounded and areodynamic like todays newer cars. It just goes along with old design and old age. For Example, look at The Desinty and the new Triumph coming out, them are not boxy at all, they look great! For Example, look at "The Royal Caribbean Viking Serenade" Personally i think its one of the most ugliest ships out on sea. I know everyone has there own opinions, but look at it, its just ugly, but then, Look at "The Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas" Its a very beautiful ship and it just goes to show you the that as time goes on things look better and get more rounded and smoother and areodynmaic.

Posts: 13 | From: Nashville,TN United States | Registered: May 99
jake14
First Class Passenger
Member # 602

posted 06-05-1999 11:20 AM      Profile for jake14   Email jake14   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well i agree with you that the Carnival Destiny looks very great. But some of Royal Caribbeans ships are very nice. But some are also very very Boxy looking. Like the Carnival Tropical, Jubilee, and the Fantasy class I think look pretty good. as for the destiny and Triumph; they look very nice. Especially for the interior! Wow! They look great! Thanx for you reply.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.