- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Drinking on Carnival (Destiny) (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Drinking on Carnival (Destiny)
aleisa6
First Class Passenger
Member # 476

posted 06-30-1999 11:56 AM      Profile for aleisa6   Email aleisa6   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do they really search your carry on bags during embarkation? Do they search your bags when you reboard after ports? I think it is a crime that you seemingly can't have a bottle bought in port in your room. It is bad enough that you can't buy in the duty free shop for in room consumption. Guess I will have to pour it into empty soda bottles. Real bummer.
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-30-1999 02:34 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've said this before...but if you like a few drinks, but do not like paying over the top for the drinks, best to avoid Cruise holidays!

(Just a personal opinion!)

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!
aleisa6
First Class Passenger
Member # 476

posted 06-30-1999 03:08 PM      Profile for aleisa6   Email aleisa6   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think wanting to be able to have a few drinks in your cabin is "being over the top". Who wants to see a 3 hundred dollar bar bill, or have to run to the bar for drinks. Are you a snob or what? Offer assistance or stay out of the way...
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 06-30-1999 04:21 PM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess if you are drinking $300 dollars a week then you might have a reason to be upset.

However the rules and guidelines are well established and stated upfront. If you don't like em, don't go there.

Or plan ahead, take the extra 300 and don't bitch.

Have a great day!

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99
TheCaptain
Just Boarded
Member # 449

posted 06-30-1999 05:20 PM      Profile for TheCaptain   Email TheCaptain   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Re: bringing your own booze aboard (and NOT
paying usurious bar rates on ships). Assuming
you're not breaking any legit. laws (e.g., no
more than $10K cash in your carry-on and no drugs)fill your suitcases with booze! Cruise
lines hard-pressed tov justify opening your
luggage (partciularly if you have a combo lock on it!). If fewer cruisers drank at excessive bar prices onboard...consumption
(demand) would drop preciptiously and, as we
all leartned in Econ101, if demand drops and supply remains constant, PRICES WILL DROP.
Comport yourself accordingly!

Posts: 3 | From: Briarcliff Manor NY, USA | Registered: Jun 99
aleisa6
First Class Passenger
Member # 476

posted 07-01-1999 08:27 AM      Profile for aleisa6   Email aleisa6   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
$300 between two people over seven days boils down to a little over 4 drinks a day. Accessive on vacation? I hope not to run into any harsh people like some of you. I think it is sad that they are trying to stop you from being able to have a drink or two in your room. We know who is going to benifit from this don't we.
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-01-1999 09:24 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
aleisa6: Hey...lets cool down! I enjoy a few drinks too, I was trying to make the point that all Cruise lines seem to overcharge to some extent for onboard drinks. Some lines are more vigalent in protecting this area of profit than others. I'm not saying that I'm happy with this, it is simply a fact!

You said "Offer assistance or stay out of the way..." I appreciate that I did not give you the answer that you required, but I do not feel that I can offer you any assistance on how to smuggle booze aboad a ship!

I'm sorry if I offended you, but This forum is called 'Cruise Talk' and I was just 'talking' and giving you my personal opinion. The forum is full of differing opinions.

(I don't regard myself as a snob or a harsh person either)

CruiseBuff
First Class Passenger
Member # 94

posted 07-01-1999 11:11 AM      Profile for CruiseBuff   Email CruiseBuff   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why some folks think they need to bend the rules. The "No alcohol brought onboard" rule is pretty clearly stated in the cruise line brochures I've seen. Either abide by the rules or don't cruise. Except for cruise vacaions, I'm pretty much a non-drinker. When cruising, I enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner and probably 3-4 drinks a day, and I budget for that. What's so hard?
Cruiselvr
First Class Passenger
Member # 96

posted 07-01-1999 12:46 PM      Profile for Cruiselvr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't have a problem with buying alcohol on board ships, since they bartenders and deck crew need to make a living too. Where I get "miffed" is having to pay $1.50 for a soda!! I will continue to take bottled water and sodas on board, but I enjoy the tropical drinks from the bar and the wine with dinner occassionally and will continue to purchase them on board.
Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 07-01-1999 03:01 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, $1.50 for a soda is a bit much. However, if you're used to the club scene, even comedy clubs, that's typical.

Not that I often frequent clubs in NY, but common knowledge is that beer runs over $5/bottle or mug, mixed drinks roughly $10(!). If you're used to that sort of thing, look at it this way: a week in the club scene. ;-)

Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 07-01-1999 04:24 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And BTW, the rule really only applies to your port of embarkation. You are allowed to buy liquor in any of the ports of call, and at that point, I can't imagine that the Booze Nazis will come door to door looking for people having a good time in their cabins.

If CCLines is reading, is this an accurate assumption?

CCLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 60

posted 07-01-1999 08:38 PM      Profile for CCLines   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At Carnival, Our Liquor Policy is guest are "prohibited" from bringing alcoholic beverages of ANY KIND onboard the ship. Aclcoholic beverages purchased in foreign ports may NOT be consumed in public areas or on deck. You may purchase any mixed drinks or beverages from any of the ships bars and lounges. And if anyone who purchases liquor from our gift ships, they will be delivered on the last night of the cruise.

CCLines

Posts: 38 | From: Miami,FL United States | Registered: May 99
CCLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 60

posted 07-01-1999 08:54 PM      Profile for CCLines   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aleisa6,

I am not trying to be smart or anything about this, but as you know the rules, i highly recommend you not bend them. You may win on smuggleing booze on other cruise lines, but i would be willing to bet you my pay check you wont win on Carnival. We have our rules and we have them in our brochures and they are clearly stated. So just a friendly reminder, i wouldn't try it. I'm not saying you cant.......you can if you want, but i know i wouldn't. We had one lady who baught a Cuban Cigar, it cost her $20.00 and she was bound and determined she was gonna carry it back home for her husband. Well, needless to say, that Cigar wound up costing her $520 because she got a $500 fine.
if you would like a brochure feel free to call 1-800-Carnival and we will gladly send you one.

CCLines

Marita
Just Boarded
Member # 308

posted 07-02-1999 04:10 AM      Profile for Marita   Email Marita   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Which one of you said that you have to avoid cruise holidays if you want cheap drinks? You guys are obviously not going on the right cruises. Try any of the Sun or Star Cruises out of Singapore. Cocktails your thing...about US$2.30...I had one called a Rainbow..it takes 1/2 hour to make as it has seven layers of coloured liquor that have to settle after each one is poured...price? US$2.45. One night I had 21 cocktails...cost? US$42...
I'm doing it again come September!
M

Posts: 6 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jun 99
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-02-1999 05:26 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
..wow, I stand corrected! Its a pitty that those prices are not more widespead on Cruise ships.
Ashley
Just Boarded
Member # 24

posted 07-05-1999 06:20 AM      Profile for Ashley   Email Ashley   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Talking of drinking, drinks are fairly cheap on the P&O's Fair Princess. Spirits with a mixer are $3.50 Australian and Corona Beer $3.50 as well. I beleive this is good value.
Regards
Ashley

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 07-05-1999 02:02 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aleisa6 - Carnival might flag your name on their passenger list after all these comments. I know there are other lines that do not have this ban, i.e. bringing booze on board for personal consumption in your cabin, so why not try them. I think you were rude to Malcom - he was only giving you his opinion and that is what this forum is about.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99
BeBo
Just Boarded
Member # 34

posted 07-08-1999 04:45 PM      Profile for BeBo     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
G'day Marita - more power to you. Too bad we don't all live in OZ. Melbourne is a glorious city.
We've never had a problem taking liqquor on board - one bottle each. Maybe some people want to bring it on by the case.
We enjoy a drink in our cabin, join friends for pre-dinner cocktails, sometimes have wine with dinner and even enjoy an after dinner drink. Most people budget for vacations and that surely must include the bar bill.

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 07-12-1999 10:20 AM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With what authority does CCLines give advice?

What is his position within Carnival?

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99
Jenny
First Class Passenger
Member # 209

posted 07-12-1999 01:43 PM      Profile for Jenny   Email Jenny   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What about the alcohol you might buy in St. Thomas or St. Marteen for use at home. Would Carnival prohibit you form bringing this on board or having the store deliver it to the cruise line. When we cruised with RCCL, we purchased alcohol on St. Thomas and had it delivered to our cabin. We were never questioned about this.
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 07-13-1999 07:33 AM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green, leave it alone with CCLines.
He is not acting for or on behalf of Carnival as far as I could see. He is just giving his opinion as you or I would.
He never said that he was a Carnival spokesperson merely that he worked there.

Nowgotakeontheday :-)

CB
First Class Passenger
Member # 58

posted 07-14-1999 12:20 AM      Profile for CB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On HAL, I have taken liquor onboard in my carry on. No problem.

I have also bought liquor at ports of call, no problem.

They sell liquor at the boutique and you can take it back to the cabin with you.

There are no checking of packages at the gangway.

So, I guess that on HAL they don't expect us to over do it or to trash the ship.

Posts: 109 | From: Arlington, TX, USA | Registered: Mar 99
CCLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 60

posted 07-14-1999 02:07 AM      Profile for CCLines   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CTrail, Thanks for sticking up for me. And what all you said was true, i am NOT representing Carnival at all. I JUST WORK THERE. I am here to have fun and voice my opinions just like everyone else does. When I am at the office then thats when i focus on business. But i am at home, and i am just like you all are.

CCLines

palmettobug
Just Boarded
Member # 731

posted 07-18-1999 10:39 PM      Profile for palmettobug   Email palmettobug   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CClines, you said:
At Carnival, Our Liquor Policy is guest are "prohibited" from bringing alcoholic beverages of ANY KIND onboard the ship.
Aclcoholic beverages purchased in foreign ports may NOT be consumed in public areas or on deck.

That is totally unclear. If you can't bring
the alcohol onboard, how could you consume
the not-allowed alcohol in a public area?

CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 07-19-1999 07:22 AM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good point Palmettobug.

The way I had interpreted the Liquor Policy statement is that no liquor could be brought on board at the original port of departure. At subsequent ports of call, you can bring on alcoholic purchases but they must be consumed in your cabin.

Joel, as an official representative of Carnival, could you please respond. Carnival's policy/policy statement does need some clarification. Sentence 1 and sentence 2 of the "Liquor Policy" seem to be contradictory.

Fightthegoodfight :-)

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.