- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Bermuda v.s. Southern Carribean Cruises

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bermuda v.s. Southern Carribean Cruises
njteech
First Class Passenger
Member # 727

posted 07-19-1999 10:57 PM      Profile for njteech   Author's Homepage   Email njteech   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How would most experienced cruisers compare the two cruise destinations? Beaches,people,ports,etc...
and most importantly ships!
thanks!

Posts: 29 | From: Summit,NJ,United States of America | Registered: Jul 99
jbrob
First Class Passenger
Member # 609

posted 07-20-1999 05:26 AM      Profile for jbrob   Email jbrob   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have not cruised to Bermuda, but have been there and it is outstanding. Friendly people, very safe (the safest I have ever felt outside of home), beautiful beaches (yes it really is pink!) and scenery. Definitely have a "Dark and Stormy", any bar can fix it for you. Southern carribean is also great, from any of the top lines, but I prefer Princess. You can not go wrong with either destination!
chucka
First Class Passenger
Member # 527

posted 07-20-1999 07:09 AM      Profile for chucka   Email chucka   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We've been 4 times to Bermuda and 6 to the Carribean. Bermuda is the best! The entire island is beautiful unlike to Carribean islands which on most, only the shoreline is beautiful. Bermuda has the friendliest people and the most sights on one island to see. The drawbacks are that the mega ships cannot dock and Bermuda has no rental cars. If you dare to drive a moped(two passenger models are available for rent), take a bus, or a taxi(quite expensive), you will be busy for days. The ship becomes your hotel and resturant so you can enjoy the island inexpensively.
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 07-20-1999 01:51 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi njteech - if you've never cruised and never visited Bermuda - take the Bermuda cruise. It's the best of both worlds. You sample cruising and have a taste of Bermuda - the most beautiful, friendly (very expensive) island.

We love cruising and we love Bermuda - so no longer combine them - too little time on the ship and too little time on our favourite island.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99
Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 07-20-1999 05:29 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Plainly put, Bermuda is currently my favorite travel destination in the world. Period. Until I get to Tahiti (has anyone ever been there?) and attempt prove otherwise to myself, that's it.

I'd say that cruising to Bermuda is a great idea only if you've been there many times. I've been there 4 times myself, and I never seem to exhaust all the alternatives for activities. I agree that cruising to Bermuda leaves too little time on the ship and too little time to explore this wonderful group of small islands (it's not just one island), and that's my basis for saying that you probably shouldn't cruise there unless you've actually managed to exhaust all your possibilities for activity.

I think I may cruise on my next visit, since there's just the Botanical Garden I really want to see, and then play golf at Castle Harbour.

vanman
First Class Passenger
Member # 819

posted 07-20-1999 11:06 PM      Profile for vanman   Author's Homepage   Email vanman   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have 20 cruises and it depends what your goal is for the cruise. I prefer Southern Caribbean and we are going again on the new Ocean Princess in March '00. The Southern Caribbean certainly offers more variety and choices for water sports as well as the lady's shopping.
From Texas 20 cruises world-wide

Posts: 18 | From: El Paso, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 99
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 08-01-1999 03:59 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe at PwC

Have you visited the Underwater Exploration site in Bermuda? - on Front Street.

Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 08-02-1999 02:21 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, we didn't get around to it. I guess there's something else to see the next time I'm there. I'm sure there's probably some more things I haven't seen. Let's face it, you're there for a week at best (unless you're cruising), so how much could you see realistically in that time? You could see quite a bit, but not everything.
geodog
Just Boarded
Member # 584

posted 08-18-1999 10:32 PM      Profile for geodog   Email geodog   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If mega ships cannot dock in Bermuda ,how do you get to shore ? What does it cost?

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 08-18-1999 10:59 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Geodog: They dock at the old naval base across the bay and take the ferry into downtown Hamilton. When we were on the Westerdam after it was streched the harbour authority wouldn't let us dock in Hamilton as they said we were too large, much to the consternation of the chief engineer who said he could have done it, so the cruise line hired a ferry to take us back and forth. It was kind of a pain.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 08-19-1999 11:29 AM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally would hope that those floating resorts, aka mega ships, not be permitted to dock anywhere in Bermuda.
geodog
Just Boarded
Member # 584

posted 08-19-1999 10:07 PM      Profile for geodog   Email geodog   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Simpatico ,thanks for the infomation...........Green , too late I already have my ticket on the Inspiration , I am sure the shop keepers of Bermuda will be happy to see us and our money
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 08-19-1999 10:31 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
GREEN - why do you feel this way? It is more convenient for the passengers.

[This message has been edited by sympatico (edited 08-19-99).]

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99
Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 08-20-1999 10:30 AM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would think that the megaships will only bring overcrowding to an otherwise "unspoiled" island. I can understand that sentiment if it is indeed the case, as Bermuda is very close to my heart. Unfortunately, business is business, and it will stop at nothing when there's money to be made.

[This message has been edited by Joe at PwC (edited 08-20-99).]

geodog
Just Boarded
Member # 584

posted 08-20-1999 10:39 PM      Profile for geodog   Email geodog   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe, Bermuda is historic and beautiful , but it is a SPOILED island . It has been raped of its old growth native plants , attacked by bulldozers , golf courses , buildings, farm pastures , and other ulgy man made creations.We are not able to improve on nature.Man can only destroy.Unlike the above, cruise ships come and leave. Joe , cruise ships do not destroy a land .Jasper National Park is an example of an almost unspoiled land.

[This message has been edited by geodog (edited 08-21-99).]

Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 08-21-1999 12:05 AM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe a better way of saying it is that its charm and its propriety might be compromised in the event of a ship the size of, say, the Triumph were to tie up there.
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 08-22-1999 05:11 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For - Joe at PwC - geodog - sympatico

Joe, weÕre on the same wavelength on both your posts Ð I too would fear overcrowding. The island can only accommodate so many taxis and buses. ItÕs true that business is business but I was disappointed when the Ôpowers that beÕ allowed fast food. I can eat that at home!

geodog Ð Bermuda is historic and beautiful and has certainly been slightly spoiled over the years since we first visited. Fortunately, however, building of tall towers and massive hotels by money hungry outsiders has been held in check. Bermudians continue to fight very hard to keep their beautiful beaches visible from the porches of long existing homes and accessible to all Ð locals and visitors alike. IÕm on their side.
The Inspiration, being close to 16,500 gross tons more that the Westerdam will probably dock round at St. GeorgeÕs Ð opposite end of the island from Dockyard mentioned by sympatico. Twice now, on the Rotterdam V1, weÕve docked at Dockyard and bus transfers were provided Ð a slow process when, on average, you have only about 5 hours in port.

sympatico Ð I like ships that look like ships! DonÕt understand Ôis more convenient for the passengersÕ :-) :-)

geodog - when are you sailing? Have a wonderful trip - will look forward to your post. If you have time for lunch, try a Bermuda Onion sandwich (I'm serious) - they are sweet and delicious.

chucka
First Class Passenger
Member # 527

posted 08-23-1999 10:38 PM      Profile for chucka   Email chucka   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bermuda is making an effort to preserve what it has. Last Fall when I was there, a freighter from Germany was unloading sand. Golf courses are no longer able to take the sand from the beaches.
marco
Just Boarded
Member # 685

posted 09-03-1999 12:41 PM      Profile for marco   Email marco   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have just noticed your posting, I hope I am not too late to reply. I have cruised to Bermuda 14 times. I have cruised the Caribbean over 20. They are both a VERY different experience, even if the cruises were on the same ship. In a nut shell, Bermuda would be my first choice. First of all, it is the only destination. You will be there for 4 days, rather than jumping from island to island (maybe 4) in a week. It will be much more restful, your'll be able to really "do" Bermuda, see all the sights, be able to linger where you want to, still be able to enjoy a day at the beach, etc, etc. Bermuda itself is, well...to quote Mark Twain..."I must have died, because I obviously am in heaven" or words to that effect. It is by far, the cleanest, most affluent, best educated most civilized island I have ever visited. Therefore, it is also the most expensive. Flying there for a week would cost at least twice the price of a week cruise. Sailing out of NY is a much nicer experience than FL or PR, also. It is like a transatlantic sailing of the "olden days". Also if you live within 150-ish miles of NY, most lines offer bus transportation to the pier and back. Much nicer than having to get up at the crack of dawn to catch a plane. I was there last in May '99. It was on the "Zenith". of what is sailing there this year, that would be my first choice. NCL has a ship from NY and Boston to Bermuda. I have been on both, before. They (and the line) can not compare to "Zenith" or Celebrity. Next year, Princess will be running the "Pacific Princess" out of NY to Bermuda. That would be comparable to Celebrity, but it is a smaller, older ship. My first choice would still be the "Zenith" If you are not bringing children, I would recommend going before mid-June or after Sept 1. Enjoy!!
Crooza
First Class Passenger
Member # 92

posted 10-05-1999 10:51 PM      Profile for Crooza     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Better late than never?

We took the seven-day Norwegian Magesty from Boston to Bermuda in May. This was our fifth trip to this beautiful island but our first by sea. All in all, a wonderful experience.

If you really want to "see" everything, I might suggest flying down and staying for a week. It may be difficult getting everything in with only three and a half days (in port) although this is certainly more time than a six or seven hour port stay as is common with most cruises.

My only quip was that the Majesty does not visit Hamilton. It docks in St. Georges and if your cabbing it back and forth, it can be costly.

We have not been to the Southern Caribbean yet, so I cannot compare the two, but I can say that you will be hard pressed to find an impovershed inch of space on this magnificent spot on the earth. I'm sure you'll have a ball wherever you choose to go, if you haven't gone already!

donney
Just Boarded
Member # 861

posted 10-22-1999 06:06 PM      Profile for donney   Email donney   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have just returned from a cruise to bermuda with royal caribbean. We have been there by ship many times. this is a tremendous place to visit. Unfortunately our trip was marred by the large number of young children and unruly teenagers on board. Suggest you avoid this cruise line. passengers on NCL we spoke to did not have this problem
Posts: 5 | From: burlington, ontario, canada | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.