- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Carnival Pulls Out of St Maarten

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carnival Pulls Out of St Maarten
Terry
First Class Passenger
Member # 448

posted 08-11-2000 09:45 AM      Profile for Terry   Email Terry   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"The Daily Herald" has reported that Carnival is to cease using St Marteen as a caribbean port of call.

===start===
Carnival Cruise Lines gone!

PHILIPSBURG--St. Maarten suffered a major blow yesterday when Carnival Cruise Lines, the largest cruise line in the world, announced that it had dropped St. Maarten from its itinerary.

The Carnival Cruise Lines ship "Fascination" will, as of April 1, 2001, no longer make its weekly stops in St. Maarten. Instead, Carnival has chosen to replace St. Maarten with port calls to St. Kitts and St. Barths.

The terrible news was broken yesterday via letter to Commissioner of Tourism Theo Heyliger, who was visibly dismayed by the decision. The move came after several warnings by the cruise line, the Florida Caribbean Cruise Association (FCCA) and Heyliger himself.

The loss of Fascination translates into St. Maarten losing approximately 100,000 passengers annually, 2,400 per week, and US $10 million annually in revenue.

"In direct revenue for the harbour, which makes it feasible for us to pay back our loans, this means a loss of close to $1 million a year. This would of course endanger future projects that still need to happen within the harbour complex itself," Heyliger said.

The main reason stipulated by Carnival about its decision is the constant harassment its passengers have to endure when disembarking at Captain Hodge Wharf. This harassment comes from taxi drivers, car rental operators and from other individuals to whom Heyliger referred as "radical people."

In addition to Carnival Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines' ship Enchantment of the Seas has also submitted various complaint letters about the situation at Captain Hodge Wharf. These complaints have been echoed by NCL, owner of the Norway, whose crew members were recently verbally assaulted by people on the pier using profanity and obscene language.

"This is becoming an extremely frustrating issue to deal with. Tourism is supposed to be our livelihood and yet we are doing everything that is possible to destroy that livelihood," Heyliger said.

Commissioner Heyliger fears the worst case scenario, which could see Royal Caribbean and NCL following the lead of Carnival Cruise Lines by ceasing their port calls to St. Maarten.

Carnival Cruise Lines also felt that every possibility should have been in place to ensure that its passengers could get to Philipsburg from the new harbour facilities. Heyliger explained that while the taxis are available, as well as tendering from the pier into Philipsburg, Carnival had additionally preferred a way which would have allowed their passengers to walk into town at their own leisurely pace.

"This was one of the reasons why months ago I brought up the suggestion of the boardwalk, which met with opposition," Heyliger said. "Hopefully, now it will take a situation like this to bring some of the things I have been calling for and, as people would say, bring reasoning to my `madness.' It is not only my vision, but a vision that our partners in the cruise industry have been screaming for," Heyliger said.

The Commissioner was further informed by Carnival Cruises that St. Maarten had lost the attraction it once had. Not only physical attraction, but the fact that there is little or no marketing of the island in the major tourism markets.

He disclosed that St. Maarten had a tourism marketing budget of US $120,000, drastically cut from US $5 million. Being quite frank, Heyliger said this amount was ridiculous and not even enough for a bad promotional commercial in the foreign tourism markets.

He admitted that he was not pleased with the budget he had been given to work with. If this budget were to be increased, discussions would first have to take place among his colleagues in the Executive Council.

Heyliger stated that if everyone, including Government, wants a secure future for St. Maarten, then priorities will have to be examined and changed. "Because tourism is our life, plain and simple. US $120,000 will not get the job done."

"We as a people have to wake up and smell the coffee. Other islands want our business. There are other avenues for the ships and their passengers to explore. I don't want the people to think that we have something so incredible on this island that we can afford for tourists to not come here," the Commissioner stressed.

He continued: "We can't have the attitude that we have to stand up and fight these people at every turn and not have these guests come to the island. It is very simple: Carnival Cruise Lines means 100,000 passengers on an annual basis. You're standing up to them demanding this and that; when the day comes that we have no tourists, then what do we do? In the end it is not only detrimental for St. Maarten, but for taxi drivers, business owners, everybody," he concluded.

The Daily Herald learned late last night that leader of Government Commissioner Sarah Wescott-Williams had called an emergency meeting for this morning to discuss the issue. Whether or not government will be able to salvage anything is doubtful, however, since Carnival has not indicated that it will resume port calls anytime in the near future.

===ends===

Terry Donegan

Posts: 391 | From: Brandon, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 08-11-2000 10:17 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Terry - That's very interesting. I wonder if HAL will also pull out as they are a subsiduary of Carnival. I haven't been to St. Maarten since the new dock was built, but I hated tendering at this island. Sometimes it was very, very dangerous and often tendering had to be suspended due to the high swells. The dock sounded like a great idea, but if passengers, crew, etc. are being harrassed at every turn, it's not worth going in there. The harrassment is one of the reasons I will no longer go to Jamaica.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Gripsholm
First Class Passenger
Member # 1185

posted 08-11-2000 11:25 AM      Profile for Gripsholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Visited St Maarten recently with the S/S Norway. I was surprised by the amount of extremely rude and unfriendly people. The island is pretty but I would not say it is "special". I think Carnival has done the right thing - there are a lot of other interesting islands in the Caribbean to explore.

Gripsholm

Posts: 24 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mary
First Class Passenger
Member # 316

posted 08-11-2000 12:00 PM      Profile for Mary   Email Mary   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although I'm not a Carnival customer I think it's a definite loss to the Carnival passengers. I loved St. Maarten when the Monarch docked there several years ago on our cruise through the area. I don't specifically remember hawkers at the docks but I guess they were there. I remember doing most of our shopping there. We have since docked at Jamaica and they MUST have the hassling record!
tg_lindo
First Class Passenger
Member # 806

posted 08-11-2000 12:15 PM      Profile for tg_lindo   Email tg_lindo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where is the new dock in relation to the tendering pier in Phillipsburg?

Gripsholm, does Norway still use the pier adjacent to the town square?

Posts: 349 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Gripsholm
First Class Passenger
Member # 1185

posted 08-11-2000 01:30 PM      Profile for Gripsholm     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, they still use it.

Gripsholm

Posts: 24 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-11-2000 06:16 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The problem of harassment will quickly be resolved if the major cruise lines pull out. There will suddenly be a strong incentive for the authorities to take action.
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
bonny
First Class Passenger
Member # 1347

posted 08-12-2000 12:17 AM      Profile for bonny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We were in St. Marteen last week on the Fascination. We weren't harrassed at all. Only one cab driver asked us if we needed acab. We have been to St. Marteen several times. It is a beautiful island, one of my favorites. Maybe the cruiselines aren't get enough of a kick back from this island? If you want to see really bad harrassment, go to Dominica or Jamaica.
Posts: 44 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Terry
First Class Passenger
Member # 448

posted 08-12-2000 06:02 AM      Profile for Terry   Email Terry   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It looks like the "DAILY HERALD" were a bit too soon off the mark with this story! Here is their follow-up.

===starts===

Carnival Cruise Lines not
gone, merely replacing

PHILIPSBURG--Carnival Cruise Lines has not dropped St. Maarten from its itineraries completely. Jennifer de la Cruz, the company's spokesperson, speaking from Miami, told The Daily Herald yesterday that the cruise line is indeed stopping its ship Fascination from coming to St. Maarten, but only to replace it with another new cruise ship, the Spirit.

St. Maarten will not be featured on any of the cruise line's itineraries from April till November 2001. "But we have already scheduled the Spirit to call in St. Maarten on a seasonal basis, starting November 2001," De la Cruz said.

Weighing 84,000 tons and accommodating 2,124 passengers, the ship--which is now being built and which will be launched by early 2001--is slightly bigger than the Fascination, which can carry 2,040 passengers.

According to De la Cruz, Carnival is trying out a completely fresh unique approach that involves shifting a variety of ships from their regular itineraries and adding a couple of new ports.

"Where St. Maarten is concerned there were some issues of concern, but this decision was primarily based on a new marketing strategy," De la Cruz said. She declined to make any comments as to what those "issues" involved.

The Fascination, which had been calling in St. Maarten once a week, will continue calling until April next year, after which it will be replaced by the Holiday.

However, St. Maarten will not be included in the itinerary of the Holiday, as that ship will be used for the company's new "unusual" six-port itinerary. This itinerary will include St. Kitts and St. Barths. "The Holiday is a smaller ship that accommodates 1,452 passengers, if there are two in every room," De la Cruz said.

===ends===

Terry Donegan

[This message has been edited by Terry (edited 08-12-2000).]

Posts: 391 | From: Brandon, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 08-12-2000 10:08 AM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We went to St Marteen on March break and agree with bonnie that we were not harassed at all. We couldn't agree more with her about Dominica. We were followed by some really scary looking guys. we were harassed for money or cigs. We were even offered drugs which really made us mad and my husband told the guy to get lost. We were followed back to the ship. We were never so glad to see anything as the ship and it certainly made us cut our visit on the island short.
Posts: 243 | From: London,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 08-13-2000 12:46 AM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good for Carnival Cruise lines!!!
It is nice to see them put the passengers and crew first. I have heard that St.Barths is nice. I also think Ocho Rios should be dropped. It was a scary place

Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
mrblanche
First Class Passenger
Member # 714

posted 08-14-2000 10:13 AM      Profile for mrblanche   Email mrblanche   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seems to me that if they want to avoid passenger harassment, Jamaica would be the island to drop!
Posts: 308 | From: Cedar Hill, TX | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Bellagay
Just Boarded
Member # 1504

posted 08-14-2000 06:57 PM      Profile for Bellagay   Email Bellagay   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thoroughly agree about Jamaica. It is horrible.......in fact, the last time we were there, I didn't even get off the ship. HAL should drop them.
Posts: 3 | From: Roseville, CA, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 08-18-2000 02:27 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was never harrassed at St Maarten. The only thing that bothered me about that place was too many nude beaches.
If I want to see pieces and parts I go to the State Fair and check out the cows and horses for crying out loud.

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
NAbbott
First Class Passenger
Member # 1522

posted 08-18-2000 03:08 PM      Profile for NAbbott   Email NAbbott   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The harressment that you speak of, is it people trying to sell stuff or is it abuse?

We will be cruising on the Norway in about 5 weeks and I would like to be prepared.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what excursions are the best?

Thanks
Nancy

Posts: 23 | From: Monroe, LA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 08-18-2000 03:31 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NAbbott - we have taken an excursion over to the French town of Marigot on a boat leaving from Simpson Bay, looked around the town (very expensive) and then gone to a small island for swimming. This we did a couple of times and enjoyed it although you have to watch your rum punch for if you put your cup down in the sand, the chickens wandering around will come and have a drink. We also took the excurion to Orient Beach twice and enjoyed it also and the lunch that was provided. The only problem I found here is that if it is windy there is a strong undertow and they advise against swimming. Both times we were there we were not able to go in the water.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
CB
First Class Passenger
Member # 58

posted 08-19-2000 12:24 AM      Profile for CB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't care for any of the Mexican ports of call but I always enjoy all the Caribbean ports. So just think, if the lines drop ports due to all these suggestions, they will need to lobby Congress pretty hard so that we can cruise to American ports only where no one will harrass us.
Posts: 109 | From: Arlington, TX, USA | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 08-19-2000 11:57 AM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CB: Have you walked the streets of America lately! Especially in a tourest area.
Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 08-20-2000 08:30 AM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CB, who says that we would like to cruise to American Ports.

Haveagoodone.

Peter

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
KruzinKat
First Class Passenger
Member # 260

posted 08-21-2000 02:32 PM      Profile for KruzinKat   Email KruzinKat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read a cute comment recently - a quote, I believe, but don't remember the author. Basically, the idea was that many Americans love to take foreign vacations, but then are disappointed to find the locations so "foreign." As in any location you have never been - whether in the U.S. or elsewhere - one should always be cautious and use common sense. And when "elsewhere" - enjoy and learn from the difference!

KruzinKat

[This message has been edited by KruzinKat (edited 08-21-2000).]

Posts: 101 | From: Kingston, MA USA | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Snick500
First Class Passenger
Member # 1647

posted 10-20-2000 02:06 PM      Profile for Snick500   Email Snick500   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was just on a Monarch (RCI) cruise and we stopped on St. Maarten. We were tendered in but it proved to be no big deal as the weather was real nice. We experienced no problem with the people at all. They were friendly and I just loved the beach right at the dock. I walked along it and got some of the best sea shells I have ever seen. I would love to hunt for some more there. We took a bus tour over to the French side and I found the people over there less friendly. Maybe it was just because they couldn't communicate as much with us.
Posts: 10 | From: Newark, De USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.