- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » HAL Statendam

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HAL Statendam
not
Just Boarded
Member # 1570

posted 09-10-2000 06:07 PM      Profile for not     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any comments on this ship. I have read good and bad? Also heard that HAL has put out too many news ships in a short time and it has hurt their training process. Service has changed. Is this true?
Posts: 1 | From: Chicago, IL usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 09-10-2000 06:13 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Statendam is one of my favourite ships and the first of it's class. I will admit the first time I was on it, did not like it, just too big - wouldn't trade it for a smaller now.
Service has changed everywhere and I am sure on every line. It's not like the old days.
I would sail on the Statendam any day.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 09-10-2000 08:57 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with sympatico.....the Statendam is
one of my very favorites.....she is the
perfect size, roomy, great staterooms, decor
that has grown on me to the point that I
REALLY like it, never feels crowded, very
good food......you will love her too.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
RICHARD CHUDY
First Class Passenger
Member # 1323

posted 09-11-2000 01:40 PM      Profile for RICHARD CHUDY   Email RICHARD CHUDY   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Statendam is a great ship. I have sailed on her 3 times. One 16 day round trip to Hawaii out of San Diego. Could have stayed on for 16 more. Very good service, great dining and entertainment. She's a class act!
Richard

Posts: 195 | From: Singal Hill, CA 90755 In sight of The Queen Mary | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stevesan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1494

posted 09-12-2000 09:07 AM      Profile for Stevesan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Richard, I've looked for reviews of HAL's "Circle Hawaii" cruise. Have you posted one?
Posts: 46 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 09-12-2000 09:14 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have done this cruise twice, once on the Rotterdam V and then on the Statendam. It was WONDERFUL.
There is a review on Travel Page. Go into "Your Favourite Cruises" and scroll down to Holland America Line.
I have seen review on other sites but can't remember where they are.
You won't be disappointed if you take this cruise.

vulcania
First Class Passenger
Member # 822

posted 09-12-2000 10:04 AM      Profile for vulcania   Email vulcania   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I LOVE the STATENDAM, she's my second favorite ship now in service... she was my favorite until I got aboard the new ROTTERDAM. I will be sailing in the STATENDAM on October 10th...Sailed her to the mainland last November...can't wait to be in her again.
Posts: 182 | From: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
RICHARD CHUDY
First Class Passenger
Member # 1323

posted 09-12-2000 02:02 PM      Profile for RICHARD CHUDY   Email RICHARD CHUDY   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Stevesan,

Sorry, I have not posted a review on my Hawaii cruise. There was some posting regarding Heidi the dog that sailed on that cruise and later I ask Joe to post a few pictures of a Coast Guard air-sea rescue that took place on that sailing. Use the search engine and type in Heidi the dog and air-sea resuce and you should find them. Very interesting stuff. I'll post a review later as I am leaving this Sunday for a Panama Canal cruise on Mercury. I'll post a review on that cruise also.
Richard

Posts: 195 | From: Singal Hill, CA 90755 In sight of The Queen Mary | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 09-12-2000 07:18 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
vulcania.....

Good to see your posts as always. You and
I almost agree. My favorite is Rotterdam VI
and my second is Maasdam.....third is the
Statendam.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 09-15-2000 05:48 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RICHARD CHUDY:
Statendam is a great ship. I have sailed on her 3 times. One 16 day round trip to Hawaii out of San Diego. Could have stayed on for 16 more. Very good service, great dining and entertainment. She's a class act!
Richard

I need an opinion. You and others have spoken highly of Statendam. My wife and I would be interested in the Hawaii cruise, IF

The passage is not a panoply of aloha shirts and ukeleles! I can see the "theme" being
established early on!

There is reasonable opportunity to wear tuxes and long dresses. I have a mental image of what "formal night" - Hawaiian style might be - shoes come to mind!

I like the schedule of the many days and nights at sea, but I am not that wild about an ongoing Hawaiin theme. And "poi" at all meals? [just kidding]

[This message has been edited by Cambodge (edited 09-15-2000).]

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
RICHARD CHUDY
First Class Passenger
Member # 1323

posted 09-15-2000 07:14 PM      Profile for RICHARD CHUDY   Email RICHARD CHUDY   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Combodge
The Statendam did not even play any Hawaiian tunes and was left to her original wonderful decor. When the ship arrived in Honolulu a helicopter dropped flowers all over the decks and the Royal Hawaiian Orchestra played on the docks to welcomw us. That was about it. Formal nights on the Statendam are just that, formal and very nice. Try it!
Richard

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 09-15-2000 08:30 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our first cruise to Hawaii on the Rotterdam V, was very Hawaiin and we loved it. There was a group on from San Fransisco and they entertained in the theatre on 2 different nights, doing a number of dances from the different South Pacific Islands. The leader of this group also gave lectures on Hawaiin and the South Pacific culture. Again, very, very interesting. With this group we felt as though we were going to Hawaii. I had my 60th on this cruise - best birthday party in my life.
On the second cruise on the Statendam, we had none of this and we didn't even feel as though we were going to Hawaii. Actually, they played Mexican music in the Lido and throughout the ship. If we hadn't of known we were going to Hawaii, we would have thought it was Mexico. There was NO flavour of Hawaii.
On both cruises, formal nights were just that, formal. On the Rotterdam the only time we wore Hawaiin shirts/dresses was at the deck party held outside on the Lido the night we were in Honolulu. This was a lot of fun.
On the Statendam the deck party was not held while we were in Honolulu, as we had a friend on board and we ate in the dining room. I remember that night as a certain person(not my husband) wanted us all to go to Hooters - no thank you - My husband and I sat on our balcony listening to, again, Mexican music from probably Hooters. Don't remember too many Hawaiin shirts at the BBQ. Most of these show up after everyone has gone to Hilo Hatties and bought the required shirt and dress!!!
Richard - they didn't drop flowers all over the deck for us - I'm jealous. Maybe they only do it the first time the ship is in port for the season.
Cambodge - believe me they don't even serve poi on board the ship. The only thing you might get while in the islands is local fresh fish.
We loved both our cruises, especially the long sea days and had planned on going back again. I definitely will either go again in 2001 or 02. This was our favourite cruise out of all we have done with HAL. It is very popular, so book early, if you plan to go.

Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 09-15-2000 11:55 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great cruise!! I'd like to try it out sometime.. My wife is always telling me that she wants to visit Hawaii. I've been there before many years ago, but would love to go by ship. It would feel just like the trans-Atlantic era to me...the ship is actually transporting me to someplace rather than just going around and around on the same old itinerary.
Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 09-16-2000 07:31 AM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, I'm convinced! Sound like fun. Now I have to raise the -definitely-more-bucks-than-Premier resources for the fare. Aloha Oy Vey!

Thanks for the evaluation.

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 09-16-2000 08:08 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barryboat:
Sounds like a great cruise!! I'd like to try it out sometime.. My wife is always telling me that she wants to visit Hawaii. I've been there before many years ago, but would love to go by ship. It would feel just like the trans-Atlantic era to me...the ship is actually transporting me to someplace rather than just going around and around on the same old itinerary.

TAKE YOUR WIFE TO HAWAII BARRYBOAT. THIS CRUISE IS SO DIFFERENT FROM THE CARIBBEAN. THOSE 5-6 DAYS AT SEA ARE SO RELAXING AND AS YOU SAID LIKE A TRANS-ATLANTIC CROSSING AND JUST THINK YOU DO IT TWICE - THERE AND BACK

jmperry1
First Class Passenger
Member # 1462

posted 09-17-2000 12:32 AM      Profile for jmperry1   Email jmperry1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
posted 09-16-2000 08:08 AM            
------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Barryboat:
Quote:
TAKE YOUR WIFE TO HAWAII BARRYBOAT. THIS CRUISE IS SO DIFFERENT FROM THE CARIBBEAN. THOSE 5-6 DAYS AT SEA ARE SO RELAXING AND AS YOU SAID LIKE A TRANS-ATLANTIC CROSSING AND JUST THINK YOU DO IT TWICE - THERE AND BACK

I would also add that to my tastes, Hawaii is infinitely nicer than the Caribbean

James

Posts: 71 | From: Oakland CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.