- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise line released the following statement regarding Hurricane Beryl:

Carnival's Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring forecasts for possible impacts to itineraries from Hurricane Beryl. Given Hurricane Beryl’s projected path, Carnival has adjusted the following itineraries: Carnival Horizon will add a visit to Nassau, The Bahamas on Friday, July 5....

Latest News...Oceania Cruises has marked an important milestone in the construction of its new 1,200-guest ship, Allura, at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri Ponente, Italy, bordering the famed seaport of Genoa. A landmark moment as the ship moves towards completion, the vessel was floated from the dry-dock and moved to the fitting-out berth to begin outfitting the luxurious, designer-inspired interiors....

Latest News...Crystal, the leader in exceptional cruise experiences, announced today the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri. This agreement marks the commencement of the construction of two groundbreaking ships that will redefine high-end travel on the seas.The 690-passenger (based on double occupancy), 61,800-gross-ton ships ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Mediterranean Shipping Cruises (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Mediterranean Shipping Cruises
Willy Paul
First Class Passenger
Member # 473

posted 09-10-2000 06:23 PM      Profile for Willy Paul     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any information about ths line. We have seen some interesting itineraries and prices for the Caribean this winter. Looking for info on ship condition, service, food, etc.
Posts: 151 | From: Auburn, Ma. | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 09-10-2000 06:39 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Vessels appear OK, but seems to be a large number of Europeans on board. Most reviews indicate that these passengers are extremely rude and arrogant and are best steered clear of.
See for yourself in cruise review section.

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
billee
First Class Passenger
Member # 1133

posted 09-11-2000 01:48 PM      Profile for billee   Author's Homepage   Email billee   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
About 50% of the Melody's passengers will be European. The ship itself is in good shape, excellent service & food. Kind of like crusing back in the good old days ala Sitmar & Home Lines. Can't beat the prices.
Posts: 159 | From: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-11-2000 07:12 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Willie, I've not cruised on their ships, but I feel that Topgun is being a little unfair.
If you read the reviews carefully, several passengers rate the cruises as high as 4 and 5 star - which is great for a budget cruise! Yes, two reviewer do mentioned rude/arrogant passengers, but all the other six did not. Please note, not all Europeans are rude and arrogant! I can assure you that all ships carry some rude people.

Just because everyone does not speak American onboard a ship, does not automatically make it a bad cruise. I had to laugh at the reviewer that said "Many passengers failed to make an effort to communicate with him"! Now how is that for a truly arrogant statement. Maybe he should make the effort to try communicating with them!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 09-11-2000 07:34 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fair comment. There are many North Americans who seem to think that the English language and the American dollar are universal.
I would still be inclined to stay away when two out of eight refer to this cultural difference. Its too expensive to take the chance.

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 09-11-2000 08:08 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Its not just cruises. We have to learn to mix with all nationalities. All of us offer different ideas, different accents. We were at Sandals in the Bahamas in May and I would say approx half of the people there were British and I can assure you everyone seemed to get on OK.
Posts: 308 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 09-12-2000 08:27 AM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DianaD, so that there is no misunderstanding, it was my impression that the Europeans being referred to were German, French and Italian nationals.
I dont believe Brits are Europeans.

[This message has been edited by topgun (edited 09-12-2000).]

Johan C
First Class Passenger
Member # 1201

posted 09-12-2000 12:20 PM      Profile for Johan C   Email Johan C   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why Americans hate to be on a ship with Europeans. I come from Belgium and I do my best to have a conversation with Americans. I had American table mates on 4 cruises and we had a wonderful time. Of course there is a difference but shouldent it be boring if everbody was acting and thinking the same way? BTW: MSC is my favorite cruiseline but don't expect great shows or high tech on board. Everything goes "the Italian way" and the food is perfect to me.
Posts: 256 | From: Ghent, historic city in Belgium | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 09-12-2000 12:25 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Being British myself (although been out of England for 27 years) I hold a Canadian and European Economic Community British passport. Britain is definitely part of Europe.
Posts: 308 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mauretania
First Class Passenger
Member # 1486

posted 09-12-2000 01:27 PM      Profile for Mauretania     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speaking as a Brit, I do not consider myself European. I like Europeans and enjoy mixing with them - as I also enjoy mixing with Americans and Canadians. I think there is a great deal we can learn from each other and enjoy through our interactions. But I don't feel European, I feel British. In fact, I feel more speicifically English! :-)
Posts: 39 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 09-12-2000 02:19 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mauritania. I do agree with what you say but whether we like it or not Great Britain is part of Europe and is now more so than it has ever been. I am sure if you asked a German, Frenchman etc. what they were they would use there counties nationality but they are all Europeans. The same applies with Canada, USA and Mexico we are all North Americans.
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-12-2000 05:08 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great, the debate is hotting up!

Being British myself - I can confirm that Britain IS part of Europe, both geographically and now politically via the European Union, of which we are a member state. But saying all that, we are not very good at being 'Europeans'! We are an island and regard ourselves a primarily 'British'.

Topgun is right about cultural differences, they are very real. They are not necessarily a problem for everyone - but they do exist. I would suggest that Americans on vacation in particular feel most comfortable being surrounded by thier own nationality and culture.

I think that the success of cruising for the American market is the fact that American's can travel and take a floating 'slice' of America with them. And of course these slices of America (ships) seem so get gets bigger every year!

An American can now visit the most remote parts of the world such as Antarctica, but still drink budwiser, spend dollars and watch a Broadway show! In the travel trade it's called 'soft adventure'.

(Sorry if I sound Anti-American,because I'm not,this was unintentional).

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 09-12-2000).]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 09-12-2000 05:39 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No offence to be taken over my comments, please.
I think when on cruises Canadians have more problems that most. Now by that I mean, frequently it is assumed by the crew (Cruise Director in particular) that everyone on the ship is an American. I have heard his/her make comments such as "us Americans" etc. etc. Our accents (not mine!!!) are very similar but as a nation we are very different from Americans. Somehow we get left out, even through stats say that there are more Canadians sailing per capita than Americans. I had quite a fight 2 years ago to have Canadian Thanksgiving day recongized on the Ryndam. Our brochure had said if there were more than 10% Canadians on board (in fact according to the Hotel Manager there were 45%) Canadian Thanksgiving would be observed. When by lunchtime, and the Captain had given his little talk nothing had been said I went to see the Hotel Manager. He was not aware that it was our Thanksgiving but to give him credit by Dinner Time the dining room had been decorated. (I was told there was quite a comotion about it).
To add to this the European currencies being so strong, and airline fares relatively cheap, it has become cheaper for a European to come to North America to cruise rather than go to the Mediterranean so we are getting a greater mix of nationalities on the ships. We were on the Zenith to Bermuda a few weeks ago and there were a lot of British on board, we knew this because as Canadians our Passports are removed from us when we go on a cruise and returned on the last morning, which is where we meet all the other non Americans. That however is another story!!!!

topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 09-12-2000 06:19 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This gets better and better. Haven't had so much fun since the 'no kids on board' topic ran out.
Please Joe don't cut us off for drifting from the topic.

Diana's point about passports hit the nerve.
Each time I leave a US port, my passport along with all those of other so called 'Aliens' on board is confiscated. No ifs and or buts.
If I run afoul of the system in any Caribbean port, my first lifeline, my Canadian passport is gone.

To add to this inconvenience, on the last morning of a cruise, I am required to meet with a US immigration official. This at an ungodly hour of the morning.
These officials all appear the same,totally indifferent to my lack of sleep and breakfasting on the coffee and doughnuts that I wish I had access to.

One fine day I would like to present myself as a really good alien with an antenna sticking out and the whole bag of tricks.
The possible sentence to Leavenworth or whatever for pulling this one deters me from living out this fantasy.

[This message has been edited by topgun (edited 09-12-2000).]

NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 09-12-2000 07:07 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Please be assured that there are many of us
US citizens who love traveling with other
nationalities......Canadian, Europeans,
British, Asians, to name a few. There may
be some who dislike it, but far more who do.
I am one who loves it.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 09-12-2000 08:27 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL,well,well. I remember last year somebody said it was the American's that were rude, well we finally get the last laugh, us American's know it's really the European's and the New Yorkers!
Posts: 549 | From: Mt. Pocono,Pa. Usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 09-12-2000 08:37 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't reckon theres a country in the world that can't produce their fair share of rude people, sadly its just a fact of life. However it gives us something to talk about.
Mauretania
First Class Passenger
Member # 1486

posted 09-13-2000 01:41 PM      Profile for Mauretania     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DianeD,

I think the Canadian problem is that you guys are just too polite and too quiet about your country. Even Canadians sometimes seem to have a poor understanding of their nation's achievements throughout history. Unlike Americnas and Brits who know what we've done and take great delight in sharing the knowledge. Canada lost more of her young men in World War One than the U.S. ever sent to Europe - but while the U.S. will frequently address the impact of the First World War on their society, a lot of Canadians ahve forgotten that Remembrance Day honours the end of the First World War and the men she lost in it.

Canadian achievements range from building a trans-continental railway when she was less than twenty years old to Producing two-thirds of the NHL's Hockey Players.

The Canadian Navy - which is joked about even by Canadians and dismissed as an inconsequential force - has been at the cutting edge of anti-submarine warfare technolocy since the middle of World War 2. The list goes on. (Sorry I am highlighting mostly military stuff - I fear that's what I know most about, so that's the sopabox I preach from...) :-)

Posts: 39 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Willy Paul
First Class Passenger
Member # 473

posted 09-13-2000 07:53 PM      Profile for Willy Paul     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's not try to start World War III. I was just looking for some information, not a way to solve the problems of the world. I am an American and like people until they prove they are not likeable. Friends from Canada, who we met on a cruise, just left our home last Saturday and we plan to visit them next summer. Only had one bad experience with a european on any of the nineteen cruises we have been on. Just a short quick remark by my wife put him in his place. Sorry to say it was Brit still fighting WWII. His replacements were a lovely couple from England. So take people as they are - don't make assumptions about someone until you get to know them.
Posts: 151 | From: Auburn, Ma. | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
blf49
First Class Passenger
Member # 502

posted 09-13-2000 09:09 PM      Profile for blf49   Email blf49   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yay! This is a real good thread. On a crossing some time back the "non-US" contingent was mixed Britons and French. Some Brits we spoke with were so busy complaining about the French, and vice versa, that no one complained about me being a pushy New Yorker. Well, not to my face, anyway.

But for the most part, everyone seemed to get on okay, and different groups congregated at different parts of the ship. I say go for it, tho' the European fondness for smoking might get in my way.

Posts: 56 | From: Seattle, WA, US | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 09-14-2000 07:14 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi..a different thread for a change, good.
One thing we have found where you have large groups of certain Europeans on a ship is their demands for announcements in their own languages, and many of them. We've never been able to figure out why after five minutes of French, followed by five minutes of German etc, we get one sentence in English. Ten minutes later it starts again.
We're Canadians, but we also have EC passports to wave in Europe, which is where we get our chuckles as we breeze past the long line of Americans waiting for immigration - helps to make up for the waits we have in the US when we're In Transit. Although that dump LAX has finally got with it a bit and United had a transit lounge last time we came through.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Scottylass
First Class Passenger
Member # 420

posted 09-14-2000 07:59 AM      Profile for Scottylass   Email Scottylass   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Peter..... Just go P&O, the only announcements you get are on entering and leaving port, and the one at noon from the officer of the watch:

Quote:

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding
This is the Officer of the Watch - Today we have etc...... ALL IN ENGLISH...

Know what I mean...

Cheers
Mary

Posts: 648 | From: Stirlingshire, Scotland | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-14-2000 02:48 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh I thought that America was part of Canada? Are they different countries?

In Britain we would never be allowed to refer to a race or races as 'Alien' of 'Foreign', It is just not PC (politically correct.)

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 09-14-2000 07:44 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Mary....do they still play "Sailing" on departure?
Actually, I prefer what they do on the Marco Polo, there the Master comes on at noon with the px etc. and also any other bits of news of interest. They are also very good at keeping people informed of anything unusual happening. But no garbage stuff, I'm firmly convinced that NO cruise director should be allowed on any PA system on any ship at any time - period.

Malcolm...Not quite. The people of the United States, Mexico and ourselves are all Americans. Or more properly, North Americans. They just think they are the only ones from common usage, but then we wouldn't want it anyway......

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 09-15-2000 08:08 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gohaze, I was just joking

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.