- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Extra Charges? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Extra Charges?
dockside
First Class Passenger
Member # 1622

posted 10-04-2000 10:55 AM      Profile for dockside   Email dockside   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am attempting to book a cruise for my family. The problem I have is trying to get the cruise line to quote a price for any given cruise the include all the "EXTRA" charges that they already know about. I told the company representative that we are flying in from all over the country. He should know the airport/train station transfer cost, the port charges and the applicable taxes, but He will only quote the price of the cruise. How do you get a final price from a cruise line before booking the cruise?
Posts: 52 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
James
First Class Passenger
Member # 1351

posted 10-04-2000 11:45 AM      Profile for James   Email James   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
These items are usually shown in the brochure or "cruise catolog". If you can't get a solid number from the outfit you are dealing with then go to a different travel agent, one who specializes in cruises. The comissions are good and they should do their best to please you, the customer.
Posts: 202 | From: Illinois, Home of Lincoln and great graft | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 10-04-2000 12:13 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You are obviously dealing with the wrong TA as James said. Go to someone who specializes in Cruises and tell them you want all this information, but make sure they put it in writing.
Yes, the prices and port taxes are in the brochure. I don't know about other cruise lines but your transfers from the airport/ship and return ship/airport are included in your airfare, that is if you buy your airfare from them. This is also included if you go a day early they will transfer you from the airport/hotel/ship.
If you make your own flight arrangements you are on your own, or you can buy HAL's transfers.
Good Luck

[This message has been edited by sympatico (edited 10-04-2000).]

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 10-04-2000 07:40 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You dont state which cruise line you are looking at booking. Some cruise lines include the transfers if you book their air, however some, such as Princess, charge you extra whether you book their air or not. These prices are given to us (Agents) when we call to check availability of the cruise. There are times when our Agency will look at the price of the air and feel we can do better booking the air separately, in that case we have to factor in the price of transfers. Cruises have a lot of variables which make them different from booking a land package but your Agent should have no problem whatsoever in giving you all the prices you need. Look for an Agency that will look after you, lets face it you are going to be spending a lot of money and you need to know that you can go to that Agent any time to ask questions.
Posts: 308 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dockside
First Class Passenger
Member # 1622

posted 10-05-2000 09:17 AM      Profile for dockside   Email dockside   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To be perfectly honest, I was not dealing with a Travel Agent. I was told by people at work, that the best offers come from either the Cruise Line themselves or high volume sites on the Internet. And that the day of the walk-in Travel Agent is coming to an end because of diminished commissions and Internet competition. In any case no one appears to be willing to give me a total gaurenteed bottom line until I sign on the dotted line, and even then, I was told there may be additional last minute charges. I don't seem to remember these type of problems eighteen years ago when I went on my first cruise.
Posts: 52 | From: New Jersey, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 10-05-2000 01:45 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dont always listen to others, try for yourself. Find yourself a good Travel Agent and I promise you they will help you and answer all your questions. Do you know statistics say that only 3 percent of cruise sales are made on the Internet. Have you ever read the financial papers, you will see that most of the Internet only travel sites are loosing money, big time. Just to give you some idea (no advertising intended here), I own an Agency, three of us are Master Cruise Councillors, we also have a web site but with an 800 number. This applies to quite a few Agencies. A lot of the Internet only agencies do not have qualified agents, just order takers, with very little knowledge, next week they are selling Vacuum Cleaners. The Agencies like ours rely on return business and have to give our clients 100 percent, which includes having been to many of the places we sell and have cruised on many of the ships, we are there to help clients. (By the way many Canadians have thought they have got a good deal on a cruise through the Internet only to find they are paying in US $ - some deal!!!!)
Posts: 308 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 10-05-2000 07:45 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with DianaD go to a few TA and you will be amazed at the deals they can get. We booked our first ever cruise last year with a local travel agent and talked to them this year about booking again but they couldn't seem to get us the same great deal. We went to a cruise only company (local again) We got a really good deal and even though it is US$ when you convert it to Canadian it is still a good price. This lady was so helpful I was in her office for over an hour and she called company after company and got us prices. We have a price for everything we will not have any hidden or added charges. Try it and see what happens, good luck.
Posts: 243 | From: London,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 10-06-2000 11:54 AM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dockside; I do agree that a good TA is very valuable however, I do not think that the only way to travel is using one. I agree that there are a lot of internet travel agencies going broke just as there are travel agencies going broke that does not mean it is a bad idea in either situation. We have and you can deal direct with the cruise lines if you know what you want. You are in fact dealing with the cruise lines TA. What cruise line are you not getting the straight answer from. We deal direct more times than with a TA and have not had any hidden costs for us it has worked out better than any TA. Some TA don't even deal directly with the line they deal through a broker
Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
jmperry1
First Class Passenger
Member # 1462

posted 10-06-2000 01:40 PM      Profile for jmperry1   Email jmperry1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree a good TA is a valuable asset, but I have a slightly different spin. I actually enjoy doing the research and trying to find deals. Often I'm able to go to my TA with these specials I find, sometimes they can only be booked through the source where I found it. My point is if I just rely onmy TA, I might get as good a deal, but I lose the fun of the chase.

Is there anyone else like me out there?

James

Posts: 71 | From: Oakland CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
M.S.Grumple
First Class Passenger
Member # 1340

posted 10-06-2000 02:15 PM      Profile for M.S.Grumple     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with jmperry1. Half the fun of a vacation is in the prior research. Let's face it, no one else is as interested in your vacation as you are.
I always feel that if I only had access to the information travel agents receive I'd only need them to place the order.
Some may be knowledgeable, but unfortunately I believe they are in the minority.
Many seem to me to be extremely lazy & inefficient. They'd never make it in the real business world.

Posts: 280 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
tomc
First Class Passenger
Member # 1624

posted 10-09-2000 12:01 PM      Profile for tomc   Email tomc   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't cross the street without a TA. (joke)

Like the last two posters, I do a lot of research myself, then go to the TA as an informed customer -- the best kind, I think. Easier for them, a better time for me.

Also, when I have had to find a new TA, I ask them rather simple questions for which I already know the answers. Had two TA's really boot it -- one said she had the brochure open in front of her, yet she missed one big thing: the ship was a newbuild about to take its maiden voyage and she assured me (I said, "This is one of their older ships, right?") that it was, indeed an old ship.

Also, getting info is fun-fun-fun! Cruise boards help, websites help. Keeps me from doing my job here at work ... which is where I am now

tomcarten@hotmail.com

Posts: 78 | From: Wilkes-Barre PA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 10-09-2000 12:29 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Tomc I agree it is great idea to go to your TA with lots of information. I booked with Marlin travel/Tomas Cook last year and as part of the booking deal we received a free satallite dish. This year we booked with a cruise only company because of the price quoted. Our mistake was not comparing the price from the cruise only company and Marlin Travel. After we booked our cruise we get a letter from marlin/ Thomas Cook telling us about their free offer of a TV set or a DVD. We were ticked we will know better for next year.It really was a mistake on our part when we did not see if Marlin could get the same price for us.
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 10-09-2000 01:50 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Hooked on Cruising. Do remember if you are offered a Satellite Dish or a TV Set someone has to pay for it, and along the way that will we YOU. The commissions are not that large and they only offer those deals because they are not allowed to advertise reduced prices.(The wholesalers are getting very difficult about advertising prices). You may well have got the better deal where you bought your Cruise.

To the writer who made the comment about lazy agents, to me this is so awful because it gives us all a bad name. No we cannot know everything about everything but if we do not know the answer we tell the client and find it out for them. As an owner I make sure all my staff go on fam trips, not just for cruising but the skiing and land vacations. I have one going to Costa Rica next month. This is so that they are knowledgeable. A lot of money is spent on a vacation and it is our responsibility to help the client. We do however find that our clients, with the help of the internet, are much more knowledgeable and that is great. But beware if you try to pretend you know what you are talking about when you don't.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-10-2000 03:48 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For years I used to go into the Travel Agent's shop with a brochure under my arm and make a booking. However, my last couple of flights have been booked via the Internet and two cruises via a telephone type travel agent. I also book my travel insurance directly, via telephone. Of course I have never met the people on the end of the telephone. However, everytime I have got more generous discounts than was offered by the Travel Agent's shop and I did not even have to queue!

I think the days of the travel agent's shop in every high street may soon be over. I appreciate that a friendly TA's can offer personal advice, but I often find that I am more knowledgeable about the vacations or cruises available that the TA's staff. After all I have spent weeks studying the brochures before I get to the shop.

Sorry all you good TA's out there, but I am of the opinion that Travelpage.com IS the future!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
bubbles
First Class Passenger
Member # 1415

posted 10-11-2000 03:32 PM      Profile for bubbles   Email bubbles   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you are right Malcolm, in the past the package holiday was all most people had access to. Nowadays people have decided that they want to decide all of the elements of their holiday flights, accommodation etc. In the UK traditional package tour operators are now unpackaging holidays and selling elements separately to respond to this request. When we sailed with RCI from Barcelona that was cruise only basis which allowed us to travel to Barcelona when we wanted to a couple of days before and enjoy the city before cruising. However, for the Alaska trip we took the whole package offered by Princess including a pre cruise tour. At least the choice is there now.
Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 10-11-2000 09:48 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi DianaD Thanks for the wise words of wisdom. I think you are right on about 'someone having to may in the end' The cruise portion of our trip on the Sensation I think was $600us I have seen the same dates and ship advertise for $750 us. I guess I'm one of those people who likes to get something free, you know a wee perk. I will only use credit cards that give me an incentive for using them like GM visa or air miles American Express. But in the end I don't want to pay more than I need to nomatter what they are giving me free. I wish you were in my home town, you seem to really care about your customers. Keep up the good work, I hope TAs don't go by the wayside as I am not one of those paople who like to do the running around, I like to go in tell the TA where I want to go and when and give her/him an idea of what we want to spend and sit back and wait for the figures to come through.
bubbles
First Class Passenger
Member # 1415

posted 10-12-2000 07:22 AM      Profile for bubbles   Email bubbles   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the UK we do not get offered free incentives TVs etc. Everything is based on price. Although everything is supposed to be competitive there does not seem to be the great variation on price that US or Canadian citizens seem to enjoy. The once exception to this is RCI offers which regularly come through and always seem very competitive, I wish I had more holiday time! I have often thought I would try to purchase hols direct from US but I don't think I would enjoy the consumer protection by being a foreigner purchasing overseas and if something went wrong it would be very expensive to pursue it long distance.
Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
tomc
First Class Passenger
Member # 1624

posted 10-12-2000 08:57 AM      Profile for tomc   Email tomc   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope this doesn't refer to me:
quote:
To the writer who made the comment about lazy agents, to me this is so awful because it gives us all a bad name. No we cannot know everything about everything but if we do not know the answer we tell the client and find it out for them.

All I meant by this is that you need to know if your intended TA knows anything and is upfront or not when they don't. I asked one TA the "this is one of HAL's older ships, right?" and she said she didn't know but would call right back -- and did. The other one was, well, choose your word. If the brochure is, as she said, "open in front of me" and you miss something like "Holland America's newest 5-star ship," there's something wrong.

And the guy I got dumped onto (my good TA left the area and the travel agency hired someone) never went on a cruise and has no interest in cruises. I finally found a good place that knows what "CLIA" means, knows what "interruption" means, knows what "share" means.

[This message has been edited by tomc (edited 10-12-2000).]

Posts: 78 | From: Wilkes-Barre PA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 10-12-2000 05:18 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tomc: What I said was not aimed at you. You were perfectly right about what you said. My comment about finding out an answer if we didnt know was a general comment. However, one comment, unless the ship was from a very small cruise line somewhere at the other end of the earth I hope I would know approx how old it was, who it belonged to, how large it was and its approximate itinerary without looking at the brochure.
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 10-13-2000 10:05 AM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you are wrong Malcolm. I tried the Internet TA bit. I hated it. I went back to the nice flesh and blood TA down the street. I like hand shakes and writing checks to people I can see and talk to. The Internet TA's will get more popular, no doubt, but their will always be a lot of people who won't deal that way. I will gladly pay more money for peace of mind, knowing somebody out there really cares. Somebody who wants my repeat business. I won't deal with some punk kid fresh out of some tech school to handle my over seas travel business. Nope.

So far things have gone well with you and your Internet service. Trust me, when something goes wrong, you will not get the personal attention you need in the heat of the moment.

[This message has been edited by Ascendancy (edited 10-13-2000).]

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 10-15-2000 10:28 AM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Ascen, please remember that we were all probably classed as "young punk kids fresh out of tech school" We all have to start somewhere and you could deal with a "young punk" even in your local travel agents store. I agree with you though that the internet is not for everyone, I wouldn't use it i like the feeling of dealing face to face I like to see who is taking my money.
M.S.Grumple
First Class Passenger
Member # 1340

posted 10-16-2000 03:40 PM      Profile for M.S.Grumple     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Diana D.
My comment about lazy travel agents was not aimed at you personally.
I did say "some may be knowledgeable, but unfortunately I believe they are in the minority." This I still believe to be true.

From your posts I feel sure that you do not belong to the lazy group - however you must be aware that a relatively small number of travel agents share your work ethic and professionalism.

I also wish you worked in my neighborhood - I could use a good local travel agent.

Posts: 280 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-16-2000 05:49 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"The Internet TA's will get more popular, no doubt, but their will always be a lot of people who won't deal that way"

I agree with your above statement, Ascendancy. After all, some folks will always suffer from Technofear. Only a decade ago, in the UK, everybody purchased their motor insurance from a brokers shop. Now only a small proportion do - it's all sold by telephone or lately, the Internet.

I think that it is only a matter of time before maybe 80% of all vacations will be booked via telephone, Internet, Email, cable TV, mobile phone etc.

Only about a year ago I though that Internet shopping was a not for me. But I've now realised that for books and CD's, it's excellent! And what is the greatest source of Cruise information available - this web site!

I reminded of a quote: When the first scheduled Air service from London to NY was launched, and the number of staff on the 'Queens' outnumbered the passengers, the head of Cunard said "Transatlantic air travel is just a passing fad"!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 10-16-2000 06:56 PM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I used a TA from the net for my last cruise and I am using one for my Feb cruise. I have received much better service. The locals I tried were worthless. The prices were MUCH better from the net.
Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
bugsykitty
First Class Passenger
Member # 1580

posted 10-16-2000 07:28 PM      Profile for bugsykitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gizmo:
I used a TA from the net for my last cruise and I am using one for my Feb cruise. I have received much better service. The locals I tried were worthless. The prices were MUCH better from the net.

Yes, gizmo, anita/kathy is a wonderful person, isn't she? See you in February -- our suite is right down from yours.

Dee

Posts: 17 | From: Columbia MD USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.