- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » I want a grilled cheese sandwich

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I want a grilled cheese sandwich
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 11-17-2000 11:55 AM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I admit to all of the good things that I enjoy on a cruise. Some of these are;

The total relaxation.
Meeting new friends.
Going on deck at night and being almost mesmerised by the clarity of the stars.
Revisiting the smaller islands and seeing new ones.
Singing Karaoke until either my companion or the cruise director wrest the microphone from me.

Cruising to me however has some downsides.Here is a list of some of the things that make me happy to get home.

To get out the frypan and make an honest to goodness grilled cheese sandwich.
To make a fresh pot of really strong, really hot coffee.
To sleep in a queensize bed without my feet sticking out the bottom.
To step into a really strong shower with lots and lots of water.
To use a toilet that makes comforting swishing noises instead of violent eruptions.

Anybody else have similar thoughts?

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Paddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 357

posted 11-17-2000 01:17 PM      Profile for Paddy   Email Paddy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oooooh yeah! I know what your talkin about. After two weeks of rich rich food, all you want is a bowl of Heinz Tomato Soup and bread, and if you are away for longer, a big Ulster fry with sausages, bacon, white pudding, black pudding, potato bread, pancakes, soda bread, friend tomato and fried egg with a huge mug of tea. Hmmmm.

My only soution to this problem is going away for a week or at most ten days, so you leave happy to go home but still enjoying your vacation, making sure you don't get sick of it and resign yourself to agoraphobia.

Paddy.

Posts: 763 | From: Belfast, Ireland | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 11-17-2000 01:42 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
topgun...that strikes a chord. About the only time we see the inside of a Mcdonalds here at home is with the grandchildren, but at the end of cruises we've been in them all over the world - from Soeul to Sydney, and from Hong Kong to Barcelona - for a BigMac, fries and a chocolate shake....and really enjoyed it.
BTW. in Athens you can get draught beer with your hamburger...only place we've found that up to now.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
M.S.Grumple
First Class Passenger
Member # 1340

posted 11-17-2000 01:50 PM      Profile for M.S.Grumple     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favourite is a good strong cup of tea made with boiling water.

Posts: 280 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
tomc
First Class Passenger
Member # 1624

posted 11-17-2000 02:11 PM      Profile for tomc   Email tomc   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
My favourite is a good strong cup of tea made with boiling water.
The best I can do, on HAL, is to heat one of their cups with hot water (in the Lido), wait till the cup is really hot, then toss out the water and place their Lipton-style tea bag on the bottom of the cup so I can pour hot water right into the middle and have it go through the tea bag.

Ok, that's a little extreme for you coffee people, but I like it hot and brisk.

Also, I pour a little bit of milk right in the center of the brewed tea, then stir.

...we all have our rituals.

[This message has been edited by tomc (edited 11-17-2000).]

Posts: 78 | From: Wilkes-Barre PA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 11-17-2000 07:55 PM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When we reached Ancorage, Alaska after our cruise on the Mercury, the first place we went to, after renting a car,was to a Burger King. I never remebered a Whopper tasting so good! I am always happy to be back in my own home, until I realize that I am expected to clean, and cook, and make my own coffee! YIKES! I want back on the ship!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Mercy (edited 11-17-2000).]

Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 11-17-2000 09:43 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Love cruising but my first thought is ALWAYS a cup of drinkable coffee. How can ship coffee taste so foul?

The frying pan made grilled cheese also appeals but bacon, sausage, eggs (over) with leftover mashed potatoes, nicely fried, toast and coffee is a much looked forward to Sunday breakfast.

Agree with all your plusses - I can't sing for toffee so rule that one out!

Guess we're all 'plebs' in our own way.

[This message has been edited by Green (edited 11-17-2000).]

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
PORTER
First Class Passenger
Member # 1414

posted 11-17-2000 10:38 PM      Profile for PORTER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We stayed one extra night at the Miami Hilton
after our Western Caribbean cruise on the Mercury. Went down to the restaurants and looked at the menus.
Called out for pizza to be delivered to the hotel. Best darn pizza I have ever tasted :

Posts: 23 | From: washington st. usa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 11-18-2000 07:56 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First off - a good cup of coffee and a hot cup of tea in the afternoon. As Green said "How can ship coffee taste so foul".
Then, a salmon or tuna sandwich on brown bread, altho HAL does bake wonderful breads, especially onion. I used to crave a peanut butter sandwich with banana, but now they do have peanut butter on the buffet table, especially at breakfast.
We are all so funny - we want to go away and be waited on and have someone else make our meals,bed, etc., but we're not happy if we can't have the comforts of home!

[This message has been edited by sympatico (edited 11-18-2000).]

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 11-18-2000 12:18 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The food and drink is fine with me. I just want a nice HOT day at sea (somewhere in Caribbean). I mean really hot! With the Calypso music playing with the heavy beat and when a Cold Coor's light goes down like it was water.
Hot enough to keep the old people off the pool deck...
After living through one of the coldest Novembers on record, I'm ready!

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
obx
Just Boarded
Member # 1559

posted 11-19-2000 04:39 PM      Profile for obx   Email obx   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Coffee not bad on a recent Zaandam, but the past several years the Lido coffee has been terrible on HAL.About 5 years ago, the Statendam served "Starbucks" coffee! Apparently not all passengers were as thrilled with it as we were,because we haven't seen it since!
Posts: 8 | From: wellington, florida,usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Strat
First Class Passenger
Member # 1319

posted 11-20-2000 12:32 PM      Profile for Strat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Once I get off the ship, I head right for the local 7-11, WaWa, Royal Farms Store, whatever is nearby and get the biggest coke they have available. After a week of ice-tea, the coke tastes great.

Strat

Posts: 25 | From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
JanetD
Just Boarded
Member # 1601

posted 11-20-2000 01:16 PM      Profile for JanetD   Email JanetD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sailed on Home Lines for years & years. Wonderful food, served elegantly by staff who were professionals. Friends warned that a 17 day cruises would be 'too much' and that I would miserable after that length of time at sea. Not a chance! Every moment was precious and I could have stayed at sea for days and days longer! The only thing I craved, but no more or less than after every other cruise, (be it 2 nights, 7 nights, 10 nights, etc.) was any meal prepared by my mom as long as it included her tomato sauce. Can you imagine? Surrounded by pasta & every sauce known to mankind on those famous Home Lines "Italian style" ships, and all I ever wanted as soon as I got home, was Mom's sauce!
Posts: 5 | From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 07-30-2002 04:25 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Another interesting thread I've come across...

Happy Cruising,
Cruiseny

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
WhiteStar
First Class Passenger
Member # 2740

posted 08-05-2002 09:41 AM      Profile for WhiteStar   Email WhiteStar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the Coffee on these new mega ships has got to be instant in order to accomodate 2000+ passengers. The coffee on Celebrity has to be the worst! When I cruised on the Crown Oddyssey in the old Royal days I was usually one of the youngest passengers aboard. By 10pm the decks were almost always deserted but the deck chairs and tables were always left out 24 hrs. a day. Aft on deck 7 was the Yacht club and coffee was brewed fresh and available 24 hours a day. Many a night I would sit outside with a cup of coffee and just watch the stars or look for another ship in the distance. Quiet..peacefull...very relaxing. Don't seem to find that anymore.
Posts: 668 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 08-05-2002 11:34 AM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Ugh... Cruise ship coffee has got to be the worst thing... Except for cruise ship iced tea!

Seriously, the coffee on Royal Caribbean lately is the one consumable item that is really good. Not only is it the "Seattle's Best" brand (I guess this is supposed to be good, don't ask me, I know nothing about coffee) but it actually tastes like coffee!

I imagine that the taste of coffee is dictated as much by the water as the bean, and so perhaps the coffee was good for a change because all of the water I tasted on Voyager of the Seas was significantly better than on any other cruise ship I've sailed. It surpassed any tap water I've tasted, and was comparable to non-mineral bottled water. The stuff was certainly as clear looking, and tasting, as could be, and nothing on the ship had any dicernable taste that I could see from the water it was washed and/or cooked in or made with.

And, for those who must ask, when I drink coffee (or tea) it is decaf. I do not drink beverages with caffeine.

Happy Cruising,
Cruiseny

WhiteStar
First Class Passenger
Member # 2740

posted 08-05-2002 11:55 AM      Profile for WhiteStar   Email WhiteStar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CruiseNY

I don't think I've seen many 14 year olds drinking coffee, even decaf...tea yes, coffee no. How old were you when you started drinking coffee? I was in my early 20s and it is an aquired taste. I take it you don't drink regular Coke or Mountain Doo.

All cruise ships use purified water so I don't think that's the reason it tastes so bad. It has to either instant. A regular coffe drinker can almost always tell the difference.

Posts: 668 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 08-05-2002 02:38 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteStar:
I don't think I've seen many 14 year olds drinking coffee, even decaf...tea yes, coffee no. How old were you when you started drinking coffee? I was in my early 20s and it is an aquired taste. I take it you don't drink regular Coke or Mountain Doo.

A long time ago. At family celebrations my Italian-American grandmother gave it to me in milk. Her and my grandfather grew up drinking real coffee (and stronger than most people drink it) but in milk. They gave me decaf in skim milk of course, bowing to modern sensibilities .

I don't drink it much, mind you, but I do on cruises because it's free and tastes much better than their lousy iced tea . And normally I can't drink tap water - I never had and now I can't get used to it. Where I live you wouldn't want to drink the stuff that comes out of the taps, sometimes it lookes like tea it's so filthy.

I can hardly tell the difference between instant coffee or brewed coffee but since I saw them brewing it I know it was brewed.

I don't drink much soda at all... Never had it as a little kid so I never got a taste for it, and that's fine with me as it's expensive and certainly doesn't have many health benefits...

I drink lots of water, or orange juice watered down with carbonated water. In the summer maybe decaf iced tea.

I guess it's all a matter of what you're used to.

Happy Cruising,
Cruiseny

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: Cruiseny ]

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.