- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » should TA have informed us? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: should TA have informed us?
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 02-28-2001 08:52 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We picked our tickets up today from our travel agent. When I went in the TA who owns the business and has been wonderful was not there but her daughter was dealing with our account. She gave me a beautifully gift wrapped bottle of wine and our tickets. I was very impressed with the gift and told her I thought it was a nice touch, she said she would pass my comments onto her mom. Anyway when she started to go through our package I noticed that we had to make a stop in North Carolina on the way to Tampa and in Philly on the way home to Toronto. Should our TA not have informmed us of this when she called me to tell me our tickets were in? I am not too happy about this part of the travel but I know there is nothing I can do about it. i am going to call her tomorrow and let her know that we are trilled about having to make these extra stops. Do you think she gave us the wine to soften the blow???
Posts: 243 | From: London,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 02-28-2001 09:08 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, you should have been told about the routes your flights would be getting you to and back. When my husband was a TA, he hid nothing. All the cards were on the table. The wine was to wish you a wonderful trip and in hospitality to thank you for coming to their agency and it was a pleasure doing business with you. We hope to be of service to you in the future.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 02-28-2001 10:01 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My TA told us the one time HAL had us flying all over the US on a trip from Toronto to FLL. I immediately said "no way - we are not going to fly for over 5 hours when we could get a non-stop for 3 hours". Well HAL found us a direct route, but it cost us $50.00 each but was well worth it.
I don't know if the wine was a gift to appease you - has she given you a gift on previous cruises?

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Terri Lee
First Class Passenger
Member # 942

posted 02-28-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for Terri Lee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your TA should have informed you of the added stops as soon as she received her agency confirmation of the flight tickets.My TA always calls me as soon as she has ANY info regarding my flights as well as my cruise.She has been known to dig her heels in and get HAL to change my flights due to a ridiculous routing.In fact,she is worth her weight in gold,bless her

And usually,she has a bottle of wine waiting for my in my cabin...and at Christmas,she also included a table-size Christmas tree,all decorated!!Nice touch!

Terri

Posts: 292 | From: Burlington Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ocngypz
First Class Passenger
Member # 1555

posted 02-28-2001 11:18 PM      Profile for ocngypz   Email ocngypz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually with your home gateway, and your Tampa destination most flights are NOT non-stop... so it comes as no surprise. Not sure of the dates you are flying.. but only Air Canada and Transat (sp?) offer non-stop service.

Cruiselines will book the cheapest air they can find... regardless of how long it takes you to get from point A to point B.

I'm surprised she did not bring up the subject of booking your own air separately??? Or was going through the cruiseline cheaper? Sometimes for you folks in Canada, cruiseline air is the cheapest.

[This message has been edited by ocngypz (edited 02-28-2001).]

Posts: 343 | From: Newport, RI USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 03-01-2001 08:15 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ocngypz:
Actually with your home gateway, and your Tampa destination most flights are NOT non-stop... so it comes as no surprise. Not sure of the dates you are flying.. but only Air Canada and Transat (sp?) offer non-stop service.

Cruiselines will book the cheapest air they can find... regardless of how long it takes you to get from point A to point B.

I'm surprised she did not bring up the subject of booking your own air separately??? Or was going through the cruiseline cheaper? Sometimes for you folks in Canada, cruiseline air is the cheapest.

[This message has been edited by ocngypz (edited 02-28-2001).]

I agree with you that cruise lines obtain the cheapest air fares and don't care where they send you or how long it take you to get there but in most cases cruiseline air is not the cheapest for us Canadians, in fact it is usually more expensive.
Air Canada and Air Transat are not the only carriers that fly directly to Tampa from Toronto - Canada 3000 does also and actually is much more popular that AT. They fly to more cities in Florida than Air Canada during the winter months and they are also cheaper than AC. A cruise line would not put us on Air Transat or Canada 3000 as they are charters. I have flown Canada 3000 twice - first time OK, second time - never again (sullen, rude flight attendants, bad cramped seating and terrible food - small sandwich)
The time HAL wanted us to fly all over the US, they were using US Air and I refused to fly with them.
Now I make my own flight arrangements.

K&K - I am afraid we Torontonians are spoiled. 20 min drive to the airport, if we are lucky and non-stop flights to most cities. People from London, Ont. have to come in the night before or drive for 2 hours to airport, but then they are probably like us - they want a non-stop flight to Florida.

[This message has been edited by sympatico (edited 03-01-2001).]

K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 03-01-2001 08:49 AM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Have you heard of the saying "you can't get there from here" Well that is where we live. If we do not get to see three-four airports and spend all day (12 hrs.) traveling we would not know we were on vacation! That is not counting the two hr. drive to the airport. It is a travel day (punishment before your cruise) just relax and just keep your mind on your objective
Your CRUISE
Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 03-01-2001 05:01 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your comments. Sypatico, we haven't booked with this TA before, so I don't know if the wine was a pay of or not.She has been wonderful right through though, I think that's why I was so disappointed when she didn't tell us about the flights. We are flying US air. I called today but she was still away I talked to her daughter again, and she said her mom probably didn't even think to mention the fact that we had to make a stop-over because they are so common nowadays. This seems to match what you guys are saying, but I just wish she had mentioned it. Oh Well ! week and two days to go .. Thank God.
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 03-01-2001 06:09 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember last year when you were in a tizzy about whether to book this cruise or not? I do.

Seems that as the date gets closer you are going into the same type of tailspin.

Things may not go absolutely perfectly, I'm sure however in the overall that you will have a great time. Why not stop worrying and start packing. This free advice comes from an experienced traveller who forgot to leave out some socks and shorts when putting out the suitcase on the last night.

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 03-01-2001 06:35 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I stopped allowing the Cruise line book my flights. You will end up at some hub just about every time. I need non-stop unless I can get a great deal.
The TA's have a tendency to assume you know what's going to happen. This I have learned.

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 03-01-2001 06:49 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Topgun You are soooooo right, Thanks, you made me laugh tonight. I did go through hell and your right I'm going through it again. From now on in I'm going to relax and enjoy thinking about our cruise.
Blizzard54
First Class Passenger
Member # 1824

posted 03-01-2001 07:35 PM      Profile for Blizzard54   Email Blizzard54   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whenever I have cruised out of Florida I have had non direct flights, there are few directs from here. I usually use the cruiseline air program because we have the option of a red-eye or flying the day before and staying overnight (hotel included). Sometimes the direct air might cost less but with the hotel & transfers it may not. I once booked a cruise from Seattle (home) to Tampa. We were part of a large group (about 280). The travel agent did not give us our return tickets until the last morning of the cruise. We thought it was a little strange. As it turned out our group was returning on 4 different airlines going thru about 8 different hubs.
My quess is that the wine is normal for your TA. It might be that the daughter assumed that you would have known about non-direct flights being normal.

Posts: 118 | From: Seattle,WA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 03-02-2001 09:19 AM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The air Celebrity booked for us, was the last seats in the back of the plane, an engine blocking the window view, I was up against a wall (couldn't recline back) We got a little bag of pretzels for lunch.But the worst was the noise of the engine. I think I experienced permanent hearing loss! We had to go to St. Louis from Seattle, change planes and on to Fort Lauderdale. For our cruise at the end of this month,I booked non stop flights on American. Great seats.
I know how you feel Hooked on Cruising, I always get really nervous right before a cruise, that something will go wrong. I usually have nightmares about leaving my plane tickets at home, or loosing my cruise docs. Have a wonderful cruise. DONT WORRY!

Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Terri Lee
First Class Passenger
Member # 942

posted 03-02-2001 08:58 PM      Profile for Terri Lee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mercy.....it says in the material that HAL sends out to passengers that they do not assign seats on any flights.Seats may be booked through the airline or your TA.

My TA always gets my seats assigned before she even calls me to let me know my flight numbers and times.Even then,I have often changed my seat at the check-in desk at the airport.You can always ask the check-in clerk where your seat is and if you don't like it,he/she usually can change it.....unless of course the flight is overflowing

BTW a friend of mine recently had all her flights changed by HAL due to the Middle East situation and she refused them because of a 7-hour stop-over between connections, after a TransAtlantic flight.She insisted that they put her on a better airline and flight.And by jove,after a few hours,HAL came through for her and got her on a much better airline and flight!! Sometimes it pays to dig your heels in,guys!!!

Terri

Posts: 292 | From: Burlington Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
trailhiker
First Class Passenger
Member # 1674

posted 03-03-2001 05:05 AM      Profile for trailhiker   Email trailhiker   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If the cruise line booked the flights it was probably to late for a change when the TA rec'd them. We are also going US Air next week (boy, that sounds good! next week!!!) and got similar flights. To make it more interesting we are getting into Miami only 90 minutes before the ship is sceduled to leave. Talk about tight squeezes! I e-mailed RCI and they assured me they would hold the ship if we were delayed. They made the arrangements, they better!!
Posts: 46 | From: North Conway, NH 03860 USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
fondaenergy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1641

posted 03-03-2001 06:51 AM      Profile for fondaenergy   Email fondaenergy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On our past cruises, the ships were held for late-arriving guests. However, there are posts on the Internet saying that this is not always the case.
Posts: 177 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-03-2001 12:47 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trailhiker:
To make it more interesting we are getting into Miami only 90 minutes before the ship is sceduled to leave...RCI and they assured me they would hold the ship if we were delayed.

I think the way it works is: that if the cruise line made the flight arrangements, they will wait for any delay. However, if you are travelling independently, they will not wait!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 03-03-2001 02:35 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm - think you are right but would add "any reasonable delay". Veendam had to wait for 50 people on one cruise and wait they did because of such a large number.
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 03-03-2001 06:01 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this subject. I guess I'm just getting nervous because we have 1 week to go. I called our travel agent and left her a message she still has not returned our call which makes me think she has something to hide. Anyway I'm sure we will enjoy our cruise.
Chargap
First Class Passenger
Member # 1686

posted 03-06-2001 01:37 AM      Profile for Chargap     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From what you have said about your date of flight I suspect you are traveling around March Break. If so at this point you are lucky to have flights with only one stop. Friends of ours have 2 on the way down. Also many cruise lines use american airlines and they all seem to fly to hubs and out. Just be thankful when they get you there. At least they guarantee you will get to your cruise. We booked our own flights this year and with the snow storm today I am getting nervous. We are flying the day of the cruise and not with the cruise flights so no guarantees. Could be tricky! So relax, it will be great this time next week. Have fun!
Posts: 17 | From: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Marcia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1198

posted 03-06-2001 06:26 PM      Profile for Marcia   Email Marcia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Two suggestions. After our first cruise, we learned to always fly out one day in advance. Yes, you have to pay for a hotel, but you don't have to worry about delays. You are rested and ready to get on the ship. Also, we have asked for a certain airline, and a certain routing and have been given it. You have to have a TA that will ask and fight for you if necessary. One one occasion we did pay $35. extra for flight deviation, but it was well worth it.
Posts: 101 | From: Hamilton, Oh. U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 03-06-2001 08:03 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi all, Yes you are so right we have heard many stories of people booking their own flights only to be in panic when the time comes. We will take our wee stopover and quit moaning. 4 days to go I can barely wait. I talked to my TA yesterday and she agreed with me that it is disappointing to have to stop over but she wasn't surprised! Oh what the hell we will have a great time I'm sure of it
jmfleser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1141

posted 03-07-2001 11:40 AM      Profile for jmfleser   Email jmfleser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We live in the north east US and flying in the winter can always be a gamble so we normally will fly out the day before. Of course for our cruise next month I didn't do that. I figured it was the second week of April and we should be pretty safe from any winter storms. I booked our flights instead of letting Princess do it as they were running over $100 more per ticket. What messed me up was the airline. As we will be traveling with 3 grandparents I choose flights with lots of time between connections. Unfortunatley, USAir changed our connection times which cut it down to about 1/2 hr. Considering the time it would take to disembark the plane and the fact that they load the planes a 1/2 an hour early and travel time between gates with the 3 grandparents I could see us missing our flight.

I wanted to change our flights to an earlier time but the airline was going to charge me a $75 change fee per person. After our missing the connection on our last flight because of their mistake I wasn't going to take the chance nor pay the $75. I wrote USAir a stongly worded, yet business like, letter telling them what I wanted. They called me immediately upon recieving my letter and changed my flights with no change fees. Luckily, it worked out but never again will I ever fly down on the same day ship leaves. No matter what time of year it is.

Joan

Posts: 183 | From: Esperance, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
soon2cruise
First Class Passenger
Member # 1827

posted 03-07-2001 02:51 PM      Profile for soon2cruise     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok, you guys are scaring me. This will be my first cruise (on March 23rd) AND my first time on a plane. We booked our own air arrangements because it was way cheaper. We booked our flight to leave at 7:00 in the morning and since we're flying out of the Washington DC area, the flight should only take about 2 hours to get down to Miami. I thought that with the cruise being so late in March and by flying out so early, I was avoiding some of the worry of missing the ship. But you guys got me shaking in my boots - seriously! With the above situation, should I really be that worried? I was on cloud 9 waiting on my cruise, but now there's a bit of rain coming out of that cloud. All you cruising/flying veterans out there, help me out here. How worried should I be?
Posts: 41 | From: Maryland, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
billee
First Class Passenger
Member # 1133

posted 03-07-2001 03:40 PM      Profile for billee   Author's Homepage   Email billee   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mountains out of molehills.
Posts: 159 | From: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.