- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » cruise ship ratings by berlitz (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: cruise ship ratings by berlitz
koch
First Class Passenger
Member # 1483

posted 03-30-2001 12:44 AM      Profile for koch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a subject actually macolm made me think about it
do you guys agree with the ships ratings given by berlitz guide to the ships.
i dont
sorry to tell u in advance but i experianced a few times the situation when douglas ward came on board of ships and everything was turned around for him for one day and after he left we carried on like before and the show was over.
let me know guys what u think about it

[This message has been edited by koch (edited 03-30-2001).]

Posts: 138 | From: all over the 7 seas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-30-2001 04:42 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good point! All ratings are one persons opinion, or in the case of Berlitz, one teams opinions. (Ward employs a team, he does not visit every ship himself)

The advantage with TravelPages 'Readers Reviews' is that you get read a range of different peoples opinion.

It is very interesting how two people can have totally different opinions of the same ship. For example see the two reviews of Fred.Olsen's 'Black Watch'!

(See the 'Reviews' Meuu, page left)

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 03-30-2001 09:23 AM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I pay too much attention to the Berlitz guide as I find too many of his comments the same for too many ships - I've decided his thing is Bread Rolls and wrap around promenade decks - that's about all you read about in his reviews.

I find the Star system useful when talking to travel agents or clients - it helps give them a point of reference but I don't use the guide for much else.

The one book I fully endorse though, as do many TA's and colleagues. is the Unofficial Guide to Cruising - I think that realy is an EXCELLENT book.

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CruiseBuff
First Class Passenger
Member # 94

posted 03-30-2001 11:09 AM      Profile for CruiseBuff   Email CruiseBuff   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I second that. I've read all the cruise books cover to cover, and "The Unofficial Guide to Cruising" is by far the best cruise book available.
Posts: 27 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 03-30-2001 11:40 AM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Berlitz guide in many points is just nonsense.
- it is not at all a COMPLETE guide for cruiseships (many ships are missing and this not only because some lines just don´t want Ward to publish nonsense about their ships)

- ratings are very subjective

- he is rating the same ship over years with different points but his comments stayed the same

- he often mentions operators or lines which are no more actual about a ship for more than 1 year

- he mentions things which already have changed on a ship long time ago and are no more actual

- he prooved with his famous rating about the DEUTSCHLAND that somewhere there must be a mistake in his system.

No further comments.

Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
koch
First Class Passenger
Member # 1483

posted 03-30-2001 01:56 PM      Profile for koch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i am pretty happy to see that there are quite a few people which dont belive in the ratings given by the berlitz guide
as far as i know Douglas Ward used to be Drumer on the QE2 - so what qualifies a former drummer to act like the god of cruise industries???????????????????
i only believe in comparing the passenger reviews posted on messageboards like this but u realy have to compare quite a few

[This message has been edited by koch (edited 03-30-2001).]

Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 03-30-2001 02:22 PM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have bought the Berlitz guide last year at Miami because in Italy isn't avalaible.Many observations of Ward are right but I think that he has the abitude to privilege some cruise lines (particularly Celebrity,Crystal and Seabourn) and to discriminate others (particularly Carnival,Costa and NCL).Not all the reviews are updated.I think that the Fieldings'and Frommers' guides are a bit better about the ratings of each ship.
Posts: 887 | From: Orvieto (Italy) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-30-2001 02:29 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jekyll:
I've decided his thing is Bread Rolls and wrap around promenade decks...

Mr. ward also enjoys a good selection of Cheeses!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
koch
First Class Passenger
Member # 1483

posted 03-30-2001 03:00 PM      Profile for koch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
its very important for him that all the lights on the outside of the ship are working well and theat there is no broken lightbulp at on of the light lines
ocngypz
First Class Passenger
Member # 1555

posted 03-30-2001 03:07 PM      Profile for ocngypz   Email ocngypz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doug Ward.. and his bread... rolls..... cheese... fresh fruit.....and goodies at tea time!!!! He sounds like a broken record.

Frommer's, Unofficial Guide to Cruises... and even Fieldings are much better guides.
Though, if you are looking for ships not particularly well-known in North America.... Berlitz does have the most comprehensive listing.

Personally, I find his critiques to be terribly snobby.

Posts: 343 | From: Newport, RI USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 03-30-2001 09:52 PM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"ocngypz" is right on the money-terrible snobbery is rampant throughout. If a ship has cabins that are inside or have upper/lowers and there are passengers ready willing and happy to purchase them; is that a crime? He thinks so! At the price we pay to travel on mass market ships we expect service levels less that what we find on premium vessels; that's life, why complain? These guides of his were once the best available, now they are just a place for him to rant and rave against those vessels that don't meet his expectations. Go back drumming Douglas and leave guide book writing to those that don't have such a large axe to grind!
Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
other paul
First Class Passenger
Member # 1790

posted 03-31-2001 10:02 AM      Profile for other paul   Email other paul   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I find Berlitz to be quite accurate for the ships I have been on. I think the snobbiest reviews are on this page. I mean the non-reader reviews. The reader reviews are very helpful and informative. Can someone tell me what makes a wrap around promenade so desireable?
Paul

[This message has been edited by JulPau9 (edited 03-31-2001).]

Posts: 11 | From: Southwest Florida | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-31-2001 10:26 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JulPau9:
ICan someone tell me what makes a wrap around promenade so desireable?
Paul

No I can't, but never the less, I like them too! However, there are great ships without wrap around proms.

The problem with books like 'Berlitz' is that some people think that if its in a book, it must be fact! It's a book full of opinions - that's all.

Maybe Joe should publish 'Readers Reviews'?

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-31-2001 10:30 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
...he prooved with his famous rating about the DEUTSCHLAND that somewhere there must be a mistake in his system.

Yes, I recall that Peter Deilmann did not agree with Wards comments/rating on the Deutschland. Of course Ward is entitled to his opinion.

What was the outcome of all this fuss?

JP
First Class Passenger
Member # 1373

posted 04-02-2001 11:14 AM      Profile for JP     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was interested in his minimum criteria for top-rated ships. Caviar spoons must have wooden handles and bathrobes must be all-cotton, but nothing is said about having to have comfortable beds or good-tasting food.

Posts: 280 | From: Minnesota, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Nebrasil
First Class Passenger
Member # 1829

posted 04-13-2001 04:34 PM      Profile for Nebrasil   Email Nebrasil   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really like Berlitz and do not mind about bread rolls and wrap around promenade decks comments.
It is an excellent reference book, covering many cruise lines wich I can not find in any other guide and it is not oriented only to the American market.
The rates have been very usefull for me,in order to choose a future cruise.
Good work of Douglas Ward and his team.

Posts: 68 | From: Sao Paulo, Brasil | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-13-2001 05:11 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, I too find Berlitz a very useful referance book.

As I've said before, Berlitz is fine as long as the user remembers that its comments and ratings are NOT gospel, it features opinions.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 04-14-2001 09:55 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that Mr. Ward is a bit over the top, and comes across as a stodgy old British man. I've noticed he appears to like British ships a little better, and often quote things as being "American". Your observations about his obsession for working lights and bread rolls is quite funny! What I noticed most is the obsession for ceilings! Every other ship review quotes "ceilings are plain". This guy must be lying on his back quite a bit to take such notice of ceilings!

On a positive note, I enjoy the book because even though it's one persons opinion, it does not sugar coat. I've been on many of the ships he has reviewed (over 40 cruises in all), and while I don't always agree with his remarks, I can appreciate them. I also like the drawing of each ship and the statistics. He includes many ships that other publications do not.

Interesting that some of you mentioned DEUTSCHLAND, as this beautiful ship is no where to be found in the Berlitz 2001 edition. There are several other errors as well, such as stating there is a "Dramatic three-deck-high glass enclosed health spa" on the FANTASY. To my knowledge, the race for the largest health spa has not reached three levels on any ship!

In closing, it's still an enjoyable book regardless of your agreement or disagreement with Mr. Wards opinions.

Ernest Roller
Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-14-2001 01:05 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by eroller:
This guy must be lying on his back quite a bit to take such notice of ceilings!

It's probably all the free Champagne!

Interesting that some of you mentioned DEUTSCHLAND, as this beautiful ship is no where to be found in the Berlitz 2001 edition.

Ward reviewd her and I think he awarded her 4 stars. The Cruise line were not happy with this as they regard her as 5 star. There is/was legal action about this, so the Deutschland review was withdrawn. I do not know the outcome of the action?

pungpui
First Class Passenger
Member # 1218

posted 04-14-2001 06:39 PM      Profile for pungpui     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
do they have an official website where you can check the ratings?
Posts: 419 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruisin's peachy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1817

posted 04-15-2001 12:23 AM      Profile for cruisin's peachy   Email cruisin's peachy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is a wrap around promenade deck?? (Forgive me - I am new at this cruisin thing)
Posts: 25 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 04-15-2001 04:39 AM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm, Mr. Deilmann and his Company goes to court in Germany.
Douglas Ward rated the "Deutschland" 4 Stars and a plus, Edition 1999 in English.
Deilmann wants 5 Stars.
The German Court forbid to sell the Berlitz in German Language in Germany, so the Edition of 1998 is the only in German Language.
Not forbidden is to sell the Berlitz in English language in Germany.

Ward made some mistakes when rating the Deutschland, but the 4 or 5 stars are
an opinion and subjective, not objective.

I buy Berlitz each year in English, and it is an good book, but not without some mistakes.

In the 1999 Edition in English, Deutschland is rated 4 Stars plus with 1656 points.

For the Medium Ships with 500-1000 passengers, this is Wards 8th best rating.

He misses Jogging track and private balconies.

German First Class Passengers however will never miss or expect an Jogging track on an Cruise ship.

They want good food on their taste (no burgers, pizzas), comfortable cabins with good shower and beds, good Entertainment
(No "Mickey Mouse"), Cleanliness, good service.

They do not want round-the-clock-Entertainment, fast food,
Jogging tracks, loud and often announcements.

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 04-16-2001 04:56 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
He misses Jogging track and private balconies.
German First Class Passengers however will never miss or expect an Jogging track on an Cruise ship.

They want good food on their taste (no burgers, pizzas), comfortable cabins with good shower and beds, good Entertainment
(No "Mickey Mouse"), Cleanliness, good service.

They do not want round-the-clock-Entertainment, fast food,
Jogging tracks, loud and often announcements.[/B]

BRAVO!!
I am a yank with a francophile slant in regard to cruise ships! But I would love to sail on Deutschland. I totally agree with the sentiments on what constitutes amenities on a ship!!

"Jogging tracks" Jeeze. Was anyone on the summer Rembrandt cruise Baltimore to Halifax and return?

Then you must remember "Twinkeltoes" a "fitness-at-all-costs", female with the latest in jogging gear, water bottle, all the showplace stuff, who pounded around the promnade deck all day, making life miserable for those of us sluggards who were in the lounge below.

By the sounds of her foot impacts, I expected to see someone of the dimmensions of a sumo wrestler until I ran some time trials and identified the lady who was shaking the light fixtures on the deck below with her pounding!

The prom deck is for promenading, not jogging, and I was delighted to see a "rolling blockade" of senior strollers who succeeded in containing slowing course by (innocently of course) slowing her down at strategic checkpoints!!

She was furious! I was delighted!

So if the Berlitz weenie wishes to dowgrade ships which lack jogging tracks - more power to him!!!

[This message has been edited by Cambodge (edited 04-16-2001).]

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ceefa's Mate
First Class Passenger
Member # 1857

posted 04-18-2001 02:43 PM      Profile for Ceefa's Mate        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice one, Cambodge........Yea!!!!
Posts: 77 | From: Buckinghamshire, England | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-18-2001 02:55 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by patriciaq:
What is a wrap around promenade deck?? (Forgive me - I am new at this cruisin thing)

No problem! It's a promenade deck that allows you to walk 360 degrees around the entire ship. So modern ships onlt have partial prom decks.

As I've said before a 'wrap-around' is nice, but its absence would not ruin my cruise!

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.