- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » HAL Itinerary Changes

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HAL Itinerary Changes
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 09-28-2001 04:19 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Holland Redeploys Six Ships
Holland America is changing its cruise itineraries for six ships
in 2002. Next year, Holland will offer 360 sailings within a
half-day's drive of 40% of North American households and
departing from 15 North American homeports.

"Wherever possible, we are avoiding long flights, as well
as expensive and complicated open-jaw air travel
arrangements," says HAL's David Giersdorf. "We're also
looking into increasing motorcoach and rail travel options to
and from our home ports."

Amsterdam: The flagship's 100-day World Voyage (Jan. 20-
April 30, 2002) has been re-routed to visit South Africa and
South America in place of the Middle East, Holy Land and
Mediterranean. Following the world voyage will be a new 18-
day Panama Canal cruise from NY/Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle,
which will homeport 19 new seven-day roundtrip Alaska
cruises. They will include calls in Victoria to comply with U.S.
maritime laws.

Prinsendam: After delivery to HAL on April 22, the ship will
operate its published schedule through Sept. 3, 2002. Then
she will offer a new 22-day West Africa cruise from Lisbon to
Cape Town, followed by a new 22-day cruise from Cape
Town to Mumbai in place of Med.

Rotterdam: Instead of spring Canal transits between Ft.
Lauderdale and Puerto Caldera, the ship will now sail on two
10-day Canal transits departing Jan. 6 and 16, followed by
eight new roundtrip Ft. Lauderdale sailings that will visit the
Panama Canal. In the fall, the ship will offer a series of Ft.
Lauderdale roundtrips (plus a repositioning from New York).

Noordam: A new program of European cruises eliminates all
cruises visiting eastern Med ports of call, replacing those
cruises with western Med itineraries.

Ryndam: The ship will become Holland's second to cruise
Mexico, offering a series of new seven-day cruses featuring
the Sea of Cortez and Mexican Riviera, sailing roundtrip from
San Diego in the fall.

Zaandam: She'll switch to a new program of eastern
Caribbean cruises from a new home port of Pt. Canaveral in
the fall, replacing a series of 10-day Southern Caribbean
cruises from Ft. Lauderdale.

On a conference call Friday, Giersdorf said: "Bookings from
all sources are now up to 60% of normal by comparison to the
same week of last year. We've conducted a survey on
currently booked passengers, and some 95% of those
booked on cruises with us in the next six months expect to
continue with their travel plans."

Source: CruiseWeek

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 09-28-2001 05:15 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Zaandam: She'll switch to a new program of eastern Caribbean cruises from a new home port of Pt. Canaveral in the fall, replacing a series of 10-day Southern Caribbean
cruises from Ft. Lauderdale.

This will make Dambrosi very happy as I believe she has been calling for ships to homeport at Pt. Canaveral. No good for Canadians though, as there are no direct flights there, unless they fly to Orlando and I don't know if AC even goes there. Closest would be Tampa and then a long bus ride.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 09-28-2001 06:52 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What happens to you if you are already deposited for one of the ROTTERDAM's previously scheduled Panama Canal cruises that aren't scheduled anymore? I don't think thatI am ammused! As of yet I have not been officially notified of any change.
Posts: 577 | From: Covington, Kentucky, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 09-28-2001 11:30 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Holland America will notify your Travel Agent who will contact you. As you can imagine there are a lot of calls to be made. You will be given the opportunity to either cancel your cruise, change to another cruise more suited to you or stay on the cruise you are booked on.
Posts: 308 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 09-29-2001 12:52 AM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I contacted HAL reservations with the hope of making some sense out of all of their recent changes. I asked them what sort of compensation they plan to offer as I am not interested in making another Caribbean cruise at HAL's prices. They informed me that there will probably be none as the trip I deposited on is going, albeit with a radically changed itinerary. The cruise will no longer transit the entire Panama Canal, and that is exactly why I booked on this voyage, to transit the Canal.

When asked about the insurance monies that were deposited, and if that would be returned too if I cancel. I was informed that, "No cruise line gives back money paid for insurance if a passenger cancels." Which is an outright falsehood as the American Classic Voyages' lines will refund ALL monies deposited if cancelation is made before final payment is due. I told the HAL representative that the Delta Queen Steamboat Co. will! "We aren't the Delta Queen," was the representatives retort.

I have more questions now than before I called HAL. And I sure feel as if HAL was very cavalier about the way they treated me as a stockholder of the parent company and as a customer. I have always wanted to go on a HAL ship, but I'm not all that sure now!

Posts: 577 | From: Covington, Kentucky, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 09-29-2001 06:47 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you have a Travel Agent, if so contact him/her. You DO NOT get insurance back if you cancel.
Posts: 308 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 10-01-2001 06:55 AM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My Carribean cruise was out right canceled.
This was the ONLY caribean cruise canceled by HAL. I was not too happy. I had not bought insurance yet so this was not an issue.

Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 10-01-2001 01:04 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You bet Sympatico, I'm very happy indeed. Okay you other cruise lines, fall into place. We have
room for about 6 or 7 possibly. I know the layout at Port Canaveral.
And there is plenty of room Princess can send the
Pacific Princess here instead of setting her aside. YIPEEEEEEE!!!!!

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 10-01-2001 04:01 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dambrosi - I knew you would be thrilled. Only problem for me is that there are no flights into Orlando from Toronto, unless it is a charter and no more charters for me! Twice was enough. That means Tampa and a bus ride. Think I will stick to Alaska!!! Then I only have to fly to Vancouver, although that's a 5 hour flight. Can't win, can I.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
BTF
First Class Passenger
Member # 2024

posted 10-01-2001 09:23 PM      Profile for BTF        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Holland America, like the rest of the cruise companies, is scrambling to adjust their schedules to take into account the new situation and it is obvious that all the fine details have been worked out as yet on the new itineraries and what will happen to those scheduled to go on the old. So a bit of patience may be required. However it is obvious that the various cruise companies will be doing all their possible to get you aboard their ships so good deals should be the order of the day.
Posts: 287 | From: Ottawa, Ont. Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Terri Lee
First Class Passenger
Member # 942

posted 10-13-2001 03:35 PM      Profile for Terri Lee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Frank X Prudent.......

I sympathize with you. My 16-day TransAtlantic cruise was cancelled on the Amsterdam.HAL offered me a 21-day cruise on the Noordam to/in Europe for the same price as my cancelled 16-day trip.I refused their offer(don't like the Noordam) and I have now had my original deposit moved on to the Amsterdam's Panama Canal cruise from Ft.Lauderdale to Seattle,May 02-18,2002.There is a slight variance in the price,due to higher port charges for the Canal etc.

Why don't you just change ships and still sail the Canal? Or maybe the dates are not convenient? BTW the full price ranges & itinerary are now posted on the HAL website.If you click on the regular "Find a Cruise" and go to "Panama Canal" you will find all the info needed.

Hope this is of some help,Frank.

Terri

Posts: 292 | From: Burlington Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 10-15-2001 10:10 AM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Terri.

I did change my booking to a 10 night trip to the southern Caribbean on the ZAANDAM next year. For my partner and myself the change in ships means over a $1000.00 savings in cruise fare alone, and now there will be savings too on the air and other charges.

There was no way that I was going to pay Panama Canal transit rates for what was truly nothing more than a western Caribbean cruise on the ROTTERDAM!

Marcia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1198

posted 10-15-2001 11:02 AM      Profile for Marcia   Email Marcia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The thing is......if you have ANY cruise on ANY cruise line scheduled, contact your T/A as soon as possible. I picked up on all the changes on our own cruse news, went to see our T/A at AAA and she did not even have the information from Royal Caribbean, but I told her the ship had been changed and she called them while we sat there. They confirmed what I said, and gave us an upgrade at less cost on the new ship (and it will be a newer ship, only a few months old when we sail). Then asked if they (the cruise line) would have called our T/A they said that they would have, but it is taking time. This I understand, but if you know there are changes, start checking. The sooner the better chance of getting just what you want.
Posts: 101 | From: Hamilton, Oh. U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
fondaenergy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1641

posted 10-15-2001 12:15 PM      Profile for fondaenergy   Email fondaenergy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am another person who is happy with increased activity at Port Canaveral. It's about a 2.5 hour drive from my home.

Most of the air connections will be into Orlando. Some may be in Daytona. A remote possibility is JAX, which is north of me.

This port offers some interesting pre- and post- cruise sightseeing: the Space Center and all the parks in Orlando.

I'm sorry people are having such troubles with changed itineraries. (I also like to book long in advance and almost got zapped booking with REN.) Any reputable TA should be able to help. Being a repeater with a cruise line should help.

Posts: 177 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.