- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » scrambled eggs. (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: scrambled eggs.
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 10-16-2001 08:55 AM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
During a recent cruise I found that Pacific Princess had the worst scrambled eggs that I have ever tasted. They have the consistency off setting concrete.

On reflection, Sunbird has the best.

Any opinions on this useless piece of trivia.

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
cruisernh1
First Class Passenger
Member # 1864

posted 10-16-2001 09:26 AM      Profile for cruisernh1     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I get soooooo sick of scrambled eggs. I pefer the eggs benedict!
Posts: 35 | From: Tilton,NH,USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TBirdFrank
First Class Passenger
Member # 2280

posted 10-16-2001 09:35 AM      Profile for TBirdFrank     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An NCL steward served mine by hand - literally - dug in, grabbed a handful and put it on the plate!

I left it for him to eat!

Posts: 158 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 10-16-2001 09:56 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TOPGUN I'm told that HAL has great scrambled eggs - never eat them myself, but they always look light and fluffy on the breakfast buffet! One of these days, I am going to get you to try HAL
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 10-16-2001 03:20 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do cruise lines use real or powdered eggs -- I never could tell the difference...
Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-16-2001 04:36 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rex:
Do cruise lines use real or powdered eggs ?

Neither! Just about all of the big cruise ships, including the likes 'Grand Princess' or 'Voyager of the Seas' actually keep live chickens in the hold of the ship. (Cruise lines tend to keep this pretty quiet, because of the activities of the Animal Liberation Groups.)

For centuries the fresh supply of milk and eggs on board ships was an insurmountable problem. Cruise lines realised decades ago that the frozen or powdered eggs and milk simply did not taste the same, even in bread and cakes. The Cakes also failed to rise properly.

The invention of long life milk in the 1940's, solved one problem, but not the egg one. In fact Science has never solved it!

If you have a cabin on the lower decks, you can sometimes hear the chickens. They are obviously kept in sealed pens with extraction and do not roam too far. A crew member nick named a 'Farmboy' looks after their well being. They are actually fed on the passengers left overs - it's all very environmental.

Of couse this method ensures a supply of both fresh eggs AND meat during the entire cruise.
You may have noticed that towards the end of a cruise, Chicken regularly appears on the menu?

The livestock is of course replenished at the embarkation port. The manure is also used to grow so basic salads, such as Mustard and Cress, and mushrooms, both fast growing and popular items, which cannot be freeze-stored.

During bad storms, the Chickens may well not lay, so you will notice a lack of eggs as well as passengers at breakfast!

The Titanic was one of the early ships to employ this method. The body of several chickens, lost in the tragedy, are actually buried in Halifax, on some farmland.

Tourists never visit of course, but local farmers have a small ceremony each year, laying flowers and siging folk songs in a tribute to the animals that served onboard.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 10-16-2001 06:08 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Live chickens on board - yeah! You and Topgun are a real pair - LOL
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Gayle
First Class Passenger
Member # 1292

posted 10-16-2001 07:13 PM      Profile for Gayle   Email Gayle   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As Simpatico said HAL makes fantastic scrambeled eggs and also wonderful omlettts,
which also can be made with egg whites or
egg beaters. Can's wait until 10/31.

Posts: 20 | From: Norwalk, Ct. U.S.A. | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
cottonwool
First Class Passenger
Member # 2232

posted 10-17-2001 12:00 AM      Profile for cottonwool        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Malcolm, I could keep my sons going for days on that tall tale.
Posts: 33 | From: Sydney,Australia | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baker
First Class Passenger
Member # 1311

posted 10-17-2001 01:21 AM      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey Mal. When the moon comes out some nights at sea you can see the pigs fly over the mast as well.Thats why we never went on deck without our hats on.... B
Posts: 221 | From: Rosebud, by the Bay.Victoria, Australia | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-17-2001 06:41 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Would I lie to you?
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
OCEANSDEVINE
First Class Passenger
Member # 2141

posted 10-17-2001 10:10 AM      Profile for OCEANSDEVINE   Email OCEANSDEVINE   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If chickens were on board, wouldn't passengers complain about feathers in the food? Carnival Victory served powdered eggs in the dining rooms and in buffets. In addition, I found that you couldn't find a "hot" breakfast at all on the ship.
Posts: 146 | From: NEW YORK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
titanicsteve
First Class Passenger
Member # 2142

posted 10-17-2001 02:37 PM      Profile for titanicsteve   Email titanicsteve   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey did I just see the word Titanic??! As you all know I am a bit of a Titanic freak..... hence the name and I have never saw the name Johnny Joe-'farmboy' on any of the millions of death lists I have read!!? MMMMMMM I think that malcolm is pulling the feathers oooops wool over our eyes! Such a sneak! I believed that for a while! But if you can come up with some authentic written prove malcolm that that auctully happened I am open to negetion (lol like Bin Laden)! Ok very amused by the story!
Posts: 510 | From: Ireland (near Titanic birthplace!!) | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 10-17-2001 04:36 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am embarrassed to say I believed you...you got me, Malcolm...

quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
Neither! Just about all of the big cruise ships, including the likes 'Grand Princess' or 'Voyager of the Seas' actually keep live chickens in the hold of the ship. (Cruise lines tend to keep this pretty quiet, because of the activities of the Animal Liberation Groups.)

For centuries the fresh supply of milk and eggs on board ships was an insurmountable problem. Cruise lines realised decades ago that the frozen or powdered eggs and milk simply did not taste the same, even in bread and cakes. The Cakes also failed to rise properly.

The invention of long life milk in the 1940's, solved one problem, but not the egg one. In fact Science has never solved it!

If you have a cabin on the lower decks, you can sometimes hear the chickens. They are obviously kept in sealed pens with extraction and do not roam too far. A crew member nick named a 'Farmboy' looks after their well being. They are actually fed on the passengers left overs - it's all very environmental.

Of couse this method ensures a supply of both fresh eggs AND meat during the entire cruise.
You may have noticed that towards the end of a cruise, Chicken regularly appears on the menu?

The livestock is of course replenished at the embarkation port. The manure is also used to grow so basic salads, such as Mustard and Cress, and mushrooms, both fast growing and popular items, which cannot be freeze-stored.

During bad storms, the Chickens may well not lay, so you will notice a lack of eggs as well as passengers at breakfast!

The Titanic was one of the early ships to employ this method. The body of several chickens, lost in the tragedy, are actually buried in Halifax, on some farmland.

Tourists never visit of course, but local farmers have a small ceremony each year, laying flowers and siging folk songs in a tribute to the animals that served onboard.

Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 10-17-2001 08:03 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Many a truth is spoken in jest, Malcolm, but it is fact on the finest Mississippi River packets of yore chickens were kept up on the roof in a coop built just for this purpose. There were fresh eggs in the morning and on Sundays chicken was the traditional dinner fare.
Posts: 577 | From: Covington, Kentucky, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 10-18-2001 11:21 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi....Her cargoes were loded in West India Docks, London, and two days before she sailed her berth took on a rural look. Farm carts in charge of white-smocked shepherds arrived loaded with sheep, pigs and cows. Other Country carts were driven on to the quay, alongside the ship, stacked high with crates of live geese, ducks and chickens. They had come across country from the farm of Mr. Moore, one of the Partners, in Cornwall.
It was said that the squealing pigs, the bleating sheep, the cackling geese and quacking ducks turned a most sophisticated passenger ship intoo a country farmyard.
In all, three milking cows, three bullocks, ninety sheep, fifty pigs, and over three hundred geese, chickens and ducks were carried.

This was the Sabraon, of Devitt & Moore, which used to run to Australia between 1866 and 1891.

In 1891 the menu for Christmas Dinner, SEVENTY SIX days after leaving London....

Soup Mock Turtle
Mutton cutlets a la Reform
StewedOysters
Curried Prawns
Oxford Sausages and Mashed Potatoes
Jugged Hare and Jelly
Cutlets a la Prince de Galle
Curried Eggs
Roast Duck (Stuffed)
Boiled Ham and Sauce Piquante
Roast Haunch of Mutton and jelly
Corned leg of Pork and Peas Pudding
Green Peas - French Beans
Mashed and Baked Potatoes
Plum Pudding
Mince Pies
Gooseberry Meringue
Trifles Jellies

Not bad...and don't forget there weren't any freezers on there in those days.
....peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-18-2001 05:04 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course most people do not like the taste of Long Life milk, so that's why, even today, Cows are kept on board most mega-ships...
TBirdFrank
First Class Passenger
Member # 2280

posted 10-18-2001 08:00 PM      Profile for TBirdFrank     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm - You are milking this one.

If I was impolite I might even call it a load of old bull!

Posts: 158 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
AKMA
First Class Passenger
Member # 1843

posted 10-19-2001 03:31 PM      Profile for AKMA        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seriously....the best buffet style scrambled eggs I have ever had was on HAL's Noordam a couple of years ago.

I don't know how they made them but they were great.

Good thing I didn't get a cholesterol test after the cruise though.

Posts: 18 | From: Mississauga,ON, Can. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
titanicsteve
First Class Passenger
Member # 2142

posted 10-21-2001 02:42 PM      Profile for titanicsteve   Email titanicsteve   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You mean the mooooooo-rdam??!!!
Posts: 510 | From: Ireland (near Titanic birthplace!!) | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-21-2001 03:43 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
You mean the mooooooo-rdam?

Do cows lay eggs now?
Genetic engineers will be over the moon
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 10-21-2001 03:46 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just got off the Monarch of the Seas and so help me. Those eggs are real and they do it with one chicken. Top that one. LOL
LOL LOL. I think you've all had too much of the Long life milk. Pass it on!!! LOL LOL LOL

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 10-21-2001 05:16 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought that I had opened a deep and serious topic. None of you seem to have understood eggsactly what I was talking about.

Did everybody go bonkers this week?

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Marcia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1198

posted 10-21-2001 06:36 PM      Profile for Marcia   Email Marcia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry Topgun, but we all needed a laugh and I have not laughted this hard in quite a while. I was even reading parts of this to my husband. Laughter is good for the soul. Love to all and keep cruising.
Posts: 101 | From: Hamilton, Oh. U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
jasonalec
First Class Passenger
Member # 1413

posted 10-21-2001 08:56 PM      Profile for jasonalec   Email jasonalec   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I want good scrambled eggs, I usually just go to the omlette station and ask them to make them scrambled instead with a little cheese. Yummy!! The stuff in the trays is made of spackle and styrofoam.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.