- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Cruise Insurance

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cruise Insurance
Molly
First Class Passenger
Member # 853

posted 01-03-2002 01:37 PM      Profile for Molly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do any of you purchase cruise insurance? If so, what does it cover? We sail in April and don't know what to do about this.
Posts: 68 | From: Norman Park, GA USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
DianaD
First Class Passenger
Member # 1010

posted 01-03-2002 10:37 PM      Profile for DianaD   Email DianaD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always purchase Insurance. There are different ways (I am Canadian). It is usually cheaper to buy full insurance which covers cancellation, baggage, health etc. This also covers you having to return part way through a trip for an emergency at home (not one anticipated before the trip). Some credit cards cover this but it is best to check with the credit card company before relying on it. All cards are different.
Posts: 308 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 01-03-2002 11:19 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You should ALWAYS buy cruise insurance, but NOT from the cruise line. They are MUCH more expensive than independant companies and some of the cruise line insurances only give you a credit toward a future cruise, not your money back. Ask your travel agent.
Posts: 549 | From: Mt. Pocono,Pa. Usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 01-04-2002 02:39 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always buy insurance through my TA for trip cancellation, baggage and medical. Had to use it in September when I cancelled my November cruise due to health problems. Have my money back from HAL, but still waiting for my money from the insurance company to clear up their back-log from the defunct Canada 3000. Also when my husband passed away I was glad I had it - this was paid to me immediately.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Marcia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1198

posted 01-04-2002 06:19 PM      Profile for Marcia   Email Marcia   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We always buy travel insurance, and best thru a third party. Don't know your age, but some people are not aware that Medicare and some private insurance do not cover you when you are out side the U.S. It is just playing it safe. We have never had to use it, but it sure is nice to know it is there. Have a great cruise.....
Posts: 101 | From: Hamilton, Oh. U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 01-04-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DON"T EVER TRAVEL WITHOUT IT...and I'm talking from experience having been taken off a ship and spending a month in the hospital before they could repat me. I never saw all the bills but it came to over $100g and I'd hate to think what it would have been in the US.
If nothing else, that's a LOT of cruises.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 01-05-2002 04:05 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!

2 days into a 2 week Mexican, all inclusive land package, my other half keeled over at the pool - medical attention, transfers to airport, flight etc. - everything was covered - works the same way for cruises!

If you can't afford the insurance premium, STAY HOME!

Being completely honest about your medical history is mandatory - claims are not paid until details are thoroughly checked.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 01-05-2002 04:40 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a requirement for cruising in the UK. No insurance and you can't go.
We don't do too badly as far as premiums go though, and annual multi trip policies are relatively 'cheap'.

I would never go anywhere uninsured. I had a little skiing 'mishap' in the US, which warranted 2 nights in hospital and a bolt through the knee. The bill was nearly $6k and that was 10 years ago. I hate to think what major surgery and a long stay would tot up to, let alone maybe airlifted of a ship somewhere, mega $.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Molly
First Class Passenger
Member # 853

posted 01-07-2002 03:50 PM      Profile for Molly     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your input. My group appreciates your personal experience stories. Several things were mentioned that we had not considered. We will definitely take your advice and insure!
Posts: 68 | From: Norman Park, GA USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
911BOSS
First Class Passenger
Member # 1853

posted 01-08-2002 01:17 PM      Profile for 911BOSS   Email 911BOSS   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This past summer I helped an elderly friend set up a cruise to Norway. We discussed insurance and I advised him to get it. He was due to leave on a Saturday and had a heart attack on Friday night. ( I am not making this up). I leave in 10 days for a S. America cruise and you better believe I have it.
Posts: 62 | From: RALEIGH,N.C. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.