- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise line released the following statement regarding Hurricane Beryl:

Carnival's Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring forecasts for possible impacts to itineraries from Hurricane Beryl. Given Hurricane Beryl’s projected path, Carnival has adjusted the following itineraries: Carnival Horizon will add a visit to Nassau, The Bahamas on Friday, July 5....

Latest News...Oceania Cruises has marked an important milestone in the construction of its new 1,200-guest ship, Allura, at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri Ponente, Italy, bordering the famed seaport of Genoa. A landmark moment as the ship moves towards completion, the vessel was floated from the dry-dock and moved to the fitting-out berth to begin outfitting the luxurious, designer-inspired interiors....

Latest News...Crystal, the leader in exceptional cruise experiences, announced today the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri. This agreement marks the commencement of the construction of two groundbreaking ships that will redefine high-end travel on the seas.The 690-passenger (based on double occupancy), 61,800-gross-ton ships ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Festival Cruises Compensation?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Festival Cruises Compensation?
C@lm_Se@s
Just Boarded
Member # 2741

posted 01-25-2002 08:50 PM      Profile for C@lm_Se@s   Email C@lm_Se@s   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have just returned from what can only be described as a cruise from Hell, aboard The Azur Christmas New Year 2001.
I have been reading the reader reviews(A little late for us unfortunatly) on not only the Azur but other Ships run by Festival/.There seems to be a lot of unhappy passengers out there.Have any of you ever put in for compensation what was the outcome?

Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 01-26-2002 03:59 AM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is an difficult Question.

In German Law, you must put in your claims on Board and tell them Facts, what is wrong.

They must have a little time, to do better. If it is not possible, to help you, then you have an Reason for an Claim.

Difficult are things like: the food was not Tasty,
the Cabins are small, there are a lot of Children and it was loud...

1st, Point: Every Person likes other Spices and Tastes. So if the food is not very bad, this is NO REASON

2nd Point: You can inform, BEFORE you book. Cabins on the AZUR start in the cheapest Category with 8,8 square Meters. THIS IS SMALL, and you can KNEW THIS BEFORE!!

3rd. Point: Of course there are a lot of Children. It was an Christmas Cruise, when the Schools are closed. The Company works with a lot of Italians, where Children can do, what they want. They are not as disciplined as British or Germans...
You can knew this before. THIS IS NO REASON.

So, specify your Problems. Then i can tell you the German Sight of the Things. It may be, that British Courts see it different. Festival is no Company, which will please you. They send you an formal Letter and negociate your Problems, as i knew.

I had this in 1995 on the....

...you can guess it: Azur!!!

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
C@lm_Se@s
Just Boarded
Member # 2741

posted 01-26-2002 05:17 AM      Profile for C@lm_Se@s   Email C@lm_Se@s   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Americanas
We did put in our complaints onboard as did the other 275 Brits we have also all sent off our very detailed complaints to festival etc as have the other nationalities on board.and we will not stop there.So did you get no compensation whatsoever?although I do suspect it depends on what your complaints where.

lillian
First Class Passenger
Member # 669

posted 01-26-2002 09:26 AM      Profile for lillian   Email lillian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, Festival ships are run very poorly.

Have not put in a complaint, but did mention many faults on their comment sheet.

Will not sail with Festival again.

Posts: 95 | From: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 01-26-2002 10:53 AM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Calm seas,
they cancel the Harbour of Sousse, Tunisie, with the Argument, it is not possible to enter, because there is an Storm.

At the Moment, when they tell us by Board Radio System, we are about 40 Miles from Sousse, and had sunny Weather and a Calm Sea.

It is not possible, that there was an Storm. They save the Harbour Taxes...

At the same Cruise, there are a French Group on Board. They got free Table Wines and special Food by french Speciality Cooks.

We got the normal food and no Wine...

Later they tell us, the French are a group and pay higher Prices.

...but in our Brochure in Germany, there was no Notification, that it is possible to have an Special Service on Board of the Ship.

Our Brochure tells us, all is equal except the Position and Category of the Cabins...

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 01-26-2002 11:00 AM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the Way:

Do not worry. Book in Future Celebrity. It IS BETTER!!

FESTIVAL:
CELEBRITY:

WhiteStar
First Class Passenger
Member # 2740

posted 01-26-2002 11:31 AM      Profile for WhiteStar   Email WhiteStar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear so many bad experiences with Festival (First European). I was on the Flamenco for a Canary Island Cruise in October 1999 and had a great experience. I knew the ship was old, the cabins small and Americans a minority on-board so I was prepared up front. I was one of about 30 Americans the rest being French, Italians, and Germans. Yes almost everyone smokes but that's never really bothered me. I thought the food was very good (better than my last Celebrity cruise) and the employees very helpful and friendly. Every employee I came in contact with spoke English fairly well. Maybe I was just lucky.

The entertainment was ok. My only complaint was what I percieved as the French passengers being pushy and rude.

It would be difficult to compare a cruise on the Flamenco to cruises I've taken on Princess or Celebrity. They're very different experiences. Cruise ship travel is often described as traveling in a floating hotel. A Festival cruise is like a floating European hotel.

Posts: 668 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
C@lm_Se@s
Just Boarded
Member # 2741

posted 01-28-2002 02:27 PM      Profile for C@lm_Se@s   Email C@lm_Se@s   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Whitestar
I have been in European Hotels and they are very nice. This Cruise was nothing like a floating European Hotel, or any Hotel for that matter a hostel would have been better than this so called cruise.Everything it says in the Brochure it is not,and at least if you are in a hotel, and you cannot make evening meal for any reason, you can pop out and find somewhere to eat. The only alternative on this (not sure what to call it coz it deffinatly isnt a ship)is cabin service and you can not even request what you would like in your sandwiches, so you end up with inedible sandwiches and dry crackers.Now wheres the luxury there?I am afraid Festival have a lot to answer for.

Eric
First Class Passenger
Member # 2724

posted 01-28-2002 03:11 PM      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whitestar...have to agree with Calm Seas, ours on Vision was not as per brochure! If yours 2 years ago had better food than Celebrity then in my experience it has gone down about 14 notches. Food & Service in DR about as good as a back street place in a run down City.
Posts: 421 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
WhiteStar
First Class Passenger
Member # 2740

posted 01-29-2002 07:21 AM      Profile for WhiteStar   Email WhiteStar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Eric and C@lm_Se@s...I'm not doubting you had a bad cruise experience and by all means I would urge you let Festival know all the details. I'm hoping my cruise with them wasn't simply a good quirk of fate.

If what you describe is the norm rather than the exception they better get their act together. As competitive as the cruise industry is, they can't afford to subject passengers to poor service, food, etc.

If anyone else has had a good experience with Festival I would like to hear about it. Likewise any disappointing one as well.

Posts: 668 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthPerk
First Class Passenger
Member # 1609

posted 01-29-2002 08:19 AM      Profile for RuthPerk   Email RuthPerk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My husband and I sailed on the Bolero in March 1999. It was not what we expected. We had a wonderful cruise on the Seabreeze in May 1997, and expected the cruise on the Bolero to be at least as good. Sadly, we were mistaken.

It was the last Carribean cruise of the season - they would be repositioning to Europe at the end of our cruise. We found the crew to be quite rude. We were the only non-French speaking couple at our table and were, for the most part, ignored by our waiter. He would chat and laugh with the other couples (in French) while he took their orders, and then just say "Yes?" to us and walk away without even a "Thank you". At breakfast one morning, I asked for a glass of water. After waiting about 1/2 hour (they were busy), I finally got up and went out to the bar and BOUGHT a bottle of water.

The walls of our cabin were paper-thin and were heard every snore and snort made by the gentleman on one side, and every door slam and telephone call made by the couple on the other side of us.

We told our TA about it when we got back home and she offered to file a complaint for us. We decided not to file one, as we had complained about the sevice on their comment card and also put our names and address on it.

Never again!

We leave this coming Sunday on the Maasdam. I can't wait!

Posts: 329 | From: Victor, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 01-31-2002 08:48 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi all we sailed on the Bolero match 2000 and had a blast! We had nothing to compare it too as it was our first ever cruise but as you can tell from my log-in name we were hooked after that cruise. we have saided on the Sensation since and to be honest if we could put our cabin from the sensation onto the bolero we would go Bolero again. the staff and food were excellent. the shows were better on the sensation but we didn't really care about shows. we loved the Bolero we still talk and make comparisions with that and the sensation. our cabin was small but we knew that before we went. i have saw many times were people talk about how thin the walls were and about hearing things from other cabins, we were in the cheapest cabins and slept like logs every night!!! We are going on the Pride this march break (6 weeks and 1 day but who's counting!) I hope it is as good as we expect.
Posts: 243 | From: London,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.