- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Who would have thought...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who would have thought...
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 03-19-2002 10:13 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who would have thought...that a Carnival ship would have a real Picasso onboard? See below

quote:

Cruise ship thief walks off with Picasso

Organisers of a cruise didn't search passengers before they disembarked despite knowing one of them had stolen a Picasso.

The etching disappeared from a wall display on the Fantasy ship during a four-day art auction cruise to the Bahamas.

Officials decided to write off the loss instead of searching everyone. It was valued at around £9,000.

The 12 inch square etching entitled Petite Infante Accroupie Et Courtisan dates from 1968, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

It was lifted out of its frame a day before the ship docked at Port Canaveral in Florida.

Carnival cruise company spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said: "Between checked luggage and hand-carried luggage, you are talking about thousands of bags.

"A person could have taped it to his body. To try to search all those bags and do body searches as well, it wasn't realistic."

Brevard County Sheriff's officer Todd Howard said: "This is a new one to us. We don't normally deal with art, especially this type of art. We're used to TVs and VCRs."

It was one of a series of 347 etchings that Picasso created in a seven-month period in 1968, when he was in his mid-80s.

It was owned by Park West Galleries a company that organises art auctions on cruises.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-19-2002 10:22 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by joe at travelpage:
Who would have thought...that a Carnival ship would have a real Picasso onboard?

More to the point, who would have thought that a Carnival ship had a passenger onboard that could recognise a Picasso!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
recab
First Class Passenger
Member # 1677

posted 03-19-2002 10:40 AM      Profile for recab   Email recab   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quotation of the day. Thanks Malcolm
Posts: 730 | From: Aland, Finland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Charles Van Doren
Just Boarded
Member # 891

posted 03-19-2002 11:09 AM      Profile for Charles Van Doren   Email Charles Van Doren   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe the etching in question was done during Picasso's NASCAR period...
thulewx
First Class Passenger
Member # 1907

posted 03-19-2002 11:45 AM      Profile for thulewx   Email thulewx   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And it was entitled, "Man in Jeans/Athletic T, on Formal Night"
Posts: 140 | From: Unadilla, Georgia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
fondaenergy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1641

posted 03-19-2002 12:05 PM      Profile for fondaenergy   Email fondaenergy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The art auctions do bring some pricey originals onto the ships. We were amazed when a person paid $7,500 for an orginal Peter Max. That was a good price, a little to rich for us.
Posts: 177 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Katie O'Girl
First Class Passenger
Member # 2704

posted 03-19-2002 01:17 PM      Profile for Katie O'Girl   Email Katie O'Girl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NOW, MALCOLM !!!!
What a remark!!

The whole time I was on the Pride I was thinking, "It's lovely but once you've SEEN the Sistine Chapel, once you've BEEN to the British Museum, or the Louvre then everything else looks a little fake. Thomas kept saying "I know what you're thinking. Stop being such a CULTURAL SNOB!!!"

Ahem!!!!!! LOL!!!

Posts: 101 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-19-2002 01:39 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Katie O'Girl:
NOW, MALCOLM !!!!
What a remark!!

Yes, sorry I know it was a cheap stereotype of a joke, but I just could not resist it.

I would not be able to tell an original Picasso either!

I still find it hard to believe that a Carnival passenger is an Art expert? If I were the police I'd be asking the Art Auctioneer a few searching questions!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
nathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 720

posted 03-19-2002 06:17 PM      Profile for nathan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not all Carnival passengers are the ignorant, uneducated slobs that you think us to be.
Posts: 534 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-19-2002 06:43 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nathan:
Not all Carnival passengers are the ignorant, uneducated slobs that you think us to be.

I was joking! As I've already said, I would not be able to tell an original Picasso!

Katie O'Girl
First Class Passenger
Member # 2704

posted 03-21-2002 01:56 PM      Profile for Katie O'Girl   Email Katie O'Girl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean Malcolm. I'd be checking out the occupations of the guests and the known Art Dealers there for the auctions.
Nobody could possibly know that it was an ORIGINAL except for someone of that category.

I do need to tell you though that on my cruise on the Pride a woman doctor shared my table at dinner. I met an NFL player, (I actually found him on the internet when I got back.)and a barrister (attorney/judge) in the hot tub. I met two financial advisors with big American corporations, a bank president, a stock broker and a Professor of English Literature who never said two words but his wife boasted about him a lot. He just sat there with his book and smiled at me. I have to admit I WAS surprised after all I'd heard about the Carnival lines. I was told that Carnival was "cleaning up it's act" and that the only time you have to really worry about idiots being on board is during the college spring break and on the three day cruises because that's all that the college kids can afford and that the ships are loaded with them then. After cruising on that ship I'm wondering if Carnival caters to "Closet Intellectuals" who are just off for a good time incognito!!! You just never know. LOL! I'm sure there are a few.
(Please, no one slag me for saying the above. Just repeating what I was told by long time Carnival Cruisers.)

And Malcolm, you'll HAVE to forgive me for saying this........ LOL!!!
Nathan, Malcolms favourite car is a Morris Miner.
If you know what they look like you'll know that Malcolm has STRANGE taste when it comes to works of art!!!!

nathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 720

posted 03-21-2002 02:56 PM      Profile for nathan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know you were kidding Malcolm. Just had to call you on it. I do know what a Morris Minor is. I hope to see a few when I'm in London in a few months (on my way to look at Picassos).
Posts: 534 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 03-21-2002 05:24 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I understand Morris got a new job after he was laid off when the mines closed. I know he went to Oxford, and then went to India to consult for the Hindustan Motor Works. His design is a favorite Indian taxi.
Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Katie O'Girl
First Class Passenger
Member # 2704

posted 03-21-2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Katie O'Girl   Email Katie O'Girl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good Grief! It must be a "Guy thing". I don't know a single woman that thinks Morris Minors are pretty but every guy I know thinks they're nice.
Sigh....what's the world coming to? That and the old Citroens did nothing for me at all. And come to think of it..........neither does Picasso.
Jaguars or Monet I LIKE.

Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 03-25-2002 04:00 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
FINALLY!!! Someone with the guts to stand up for a Morris Minor! They're beautiful cars, don't see too many on this side of the Atlantic though....
Posts: 944 | From: Philadelphia, USA- former home of International Merchantile and Marine Co. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-02-2002 11:02 AM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Yes, I must agree, Morris Minors are rather attractive. I don't mind Jaguars either, though! Actually, I rather like British cars, new ones and old ones. It's a shame we don't see to many over here (except the ubiquitous Jaguar S-Types and XJs). Perhaps the new Mini from BMw will bring us a few more cars. And if I could just convince Rover to bring over that adorable new MG TF and the Rover 75 also... Oh well, this isn't a car board so I'll shut up already...

Happy Cruising (in cars and ships)
CruiseNY

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-02-2002 02:56 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Katie O'Girl:
Good Grief! It must be a "Guy thing". I don't know a single woman that thinks Morris Minors are pretty but every guy I know thinks they're nice.

Hang on a minute! The Morris is not my favourite car, but I must admit they are cute. It was in fact Mr.M that owned a Morris Traveller (not a Minor) not me. The Traveller had an exteded body with two rear doors - an early hatch back?. It also had a timber frame like the American 'Woody'!

As for it being a guy thing, my wife choose and purchased the car, long before she met me! I can confirm that the 'Morris Minor Owners Club' has many womem members.

It was quite hard work to driving a Traveller or Minor, because they had a giant steering wheel, like a bus and big heavy pedals. The gear box (stick-shift) was hard work too! It felt like dragging a stick through a box of pebbles. The seats became soft over the years, so you could hardly see above the dash-board, and had to look through the steering wheel.

Power-steering and air-con were not options. They came with a starting handle, but if you got it wrong it would break your arm!

Just like a ship, you had to sand down the wood and yacht varnish it from time to time!

Above: Morris Traveller

Above: Morris Minor

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-02-2002 03:41 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

It was in fact Mr.M that owned a Morris Traveller (not a Minor) not me...my wife choose and purchased the car, long before she met me...

You mean Mrs. M. (unless there is a person called Mr. M I don't know about, and your wife chose the car for him).

As for Morris Minors, I didn't say that they were wonderful either, I just said I must admit that they're rather attractive (in this case read "cute")... I forgot to mention, I do not like Citroens, old ones or new ones (though some of the new ones are a good value for your franc, i.e. Xsara) and most other French cars... I do like French food, and the language, and some other French things, but not, for the most part, their cars. Note that I do not mean to offend any people here who may have a taste for French cars.

Happy Cruising,
CruiseNY

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-02-2002 04:08 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

quote:
Originally posted by Cambodge:
I understand Morris got a new job after he was laid off when the mines closed. I know he went to Oxford, and then went to India to consult for the Hindustan Motor Works. His design is a favorite Indian taxi.

I don't know that much about Mr. Morris, but he was a builder of motor cycles before turning to cars. At any rate, he did not design the Minor. It was designed by the genius auto designer Alec Issigonis, who also later designed the Mini. By that time, Morris and its sporting subsidiary MG (Morris Garages) had amalgamated with Austin to form British Motor Company (BMC). It was this way that Mr. Issigonis got to design cars for Austin, who were mainly behind the development of the Mini as the Austin Seven (later the Austin Mini). It was simultaneously released as the Morris Mini Minor, and later became a Rover for a time (after British Leyland, the amalgamation of BMC and Leyland, became Austin Rover and then dropped the Austin bit) and then branched out as its own marque which marketed the original Mini until the end of production in 2001 when the name was handed over by MG Rover to their former parent company, BMW for the new Mini. Of course the Minor had been discontinued for thirty years by then (since 1971), and the Morris marque itself in 1984. The Minor was in production from 1948 through 1971, and the Austin Seven/Morris Mini Minor/Austin Mini/Rover Mini/Mini from 1959 to 2001. The car Malcom refers to as the Traveller, by the way, was actually marketed as the Morris Minor Traveller (there were Traveller variants for several models, not just the Minor). I hope you don't mind my useless ramblings.

Happy Cruising,
CruiseNY

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.