- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Regal Cruises Ceases Operations

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Regal Cruises Ceases Operations
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 04-28-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's official.

A very sad day.

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-28-2003 01:03 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From http://www.regalcruises.com :
quote:
REGAL CRUISES TO CEASE OPERATIONS

Palmetto, FL (April 28, 2003) Regal Cruises announced that it is ceasing all cruise operations as of today. The Company has cancelled all upcoming cruises on the REGAL EMPRESS beginning with this Thursday’s four - day cruise to Mexico.

The Board of Directors of Regal Cruises has issued the following statement:

“We deeply regret having to take this action, but we had no other choice as the Company has been unable to continue operations after one of its suppliers, Motor-Services Hugo Stamp, Inc., arrested the REGAL EMPRESS on April 18, 2003.

The Company had hoped to negotiate a resolution of this unfortunate action through a sale of its business, which the Company has been pursuing for some time. In light of the world-wide decline in travel and tourism and the short time frame within which the Company could conclude its ongoing sale negotiations necessitated by the arrest, it was unsuccessful.”

The Company is currently gathering information to allow it to file for an Assignment for the Benefit of Creditors in State Court shortly. This would seek to accomplish an equitable distribution of the assets of Regal Enterprises, Inc. to its creditors. Creditors who provided goods and services to the Regal Empress may participate in the arrest proceeding pending in Federal Court.

The Company is deeply sorry for the inconvenience the cancellations of these cruises will cause its passengers. Regal Cruises is now making every effort to contact passengers on the upcoming sailings to advise them of the cruise cancellations.

Further details regarding passenger refunds will follow shortly.

Well, I guess this is it. In the US, the segment of the industry that Bob Dickinson called the "bottom feeders" is now really gone. I guess Imperial Majesty and OCEANBREEZE still exists... And NORWAY is rapidly sliding into that market segment despite being owned by a major cruise line... But that's it.

The Regal collapse came as somewhat of a surprise, I think. I suppose I figured they'd go sooner or later, but I assumed it would be an organized cessation, as in, "we'll finish this year's schedule and that's it" a year or two or three down the road. Regal, at least up until very recently, always seemed to be doing well enough... Certainly they survived long enough to build trust (which, judging by their ownership, was to me always felt rather misplaced)... But perhaps they were not doing as well as I thought! Obviously, they have been having money problems, or they would have been able to pay their bills.

I guess it just goes to show that a cruise line with an older ship (or a few older ships) run on a shoestring budget aiming at the bottom of the market just doesn't work any more in these days of cheap cruises on new megaliners owned by huge conglomerates.

It's a sad thing. REGAL EMPRESS was one of the last connections with both the ocean liner era (the ship, whose type has mostly vanished) and also with the early cruise industry of fledgeling companies with second-hand ships (the manner in which the company operated, which has also mostly vanished).

That said, my sympathy is for REGAL EMPRESS and her employees, not her owners, who have too many connections to the notorious ISP for my taste .

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 04-28-2003 03:14 PM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder when Regal Empress will be scrapped, maybe she will be laid up for a long time then scrapped ?
Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 04-28-2003 04:15 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Too bad, she was supposed to call on New York this year.

CGT

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 04-28-2003 04:48 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very sad indeed. We sailed on her in May '96, just before my husband had both knees replaced. She was just beautiful inside and out. I still think she will sail again.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-28-2003 05:04 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hopefully Imperial Majesty can buy her. She is a perfect mate for the Ocean Breeze on the short Miami-Bahamas trips.

Regal Empress is economical with fuel and can be bought for less than $5 million.

Dickenson sounds vindictive to me.

[ 04-28-2003: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 04-28-2003 05:38 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, I sure didn't see this one comming! I really did think Regal was doing ok, certainly THEY souldn't have been held responsible for the fuel problem, and Motor Services-Hugo Stamp seem to have been more than a bit under-handed in their dealings. Too bad about Regal Empress, her engines are diesels, relatively efficient, and only about 30 years old (they were taken from a scrapped container ship). If it wasn't for the new 2010 regs, she probably would be snapped right up by Louis, Imperial Majesty, or Royal Olympia, but with only 7 years of service left, doubtful. What a shame! There goes the genuine "small ship" atmosphere.
Posts: 944 | From: Philadelphia, USA- former home of International Merchantile and Marine Co. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 04-28-2003 05:53 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WOW. I am surprised that Regal Cruises has shuted down. . Lets hope she doesn't end up to the scrapers soon. For 5 million, she is sure to go. Maybe NCL could buy her and totally rebuild her at US ship yard for US-operation. Will it work BTW?
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 04-28-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On another list someone mentioned that it was nice that R.E. got to her 50th birthday. That got me to thinking, and that is really quite old for a ship to still be in service. Think back to the grand ships of the last century. The QM lasted 31 years of service. The Aquitania, considered to have a long career, lasted 37 years. The Ile De France lasted 33 years. I think it is unusual to have so many passenger ships still around that have hit, or are closing in on 50 years. Even 40 years. I still think of ships like the Melody as relatively new, and she is over 20 years old. Ships like the Former RVL or RCCL trios are 30 or more! There are many ships throughout liner histiry that only lasted 20 years or so. The Caronia was only with Cunard for 16 years, and then lingered a few more before sinking on the way to the scrappers. Many here bemoan that we are such a disposable society now, and that is why these ships are going to the scrappers, but I am not sp sure. These are machines built with a definite life span in mind, and I think 50 must be on the far edge of that. Now some of the older American ships seems to have hulls built to last for ever, maybe that's one of the reasons NCL was relatively quick to buy two of them, but as a whole, I think that some of the others are ready to be retired, and one can only save one or two, so the rest must go to the scrappers. Probably not the most popular sentiment here, but just what I was thinking...

Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-28-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAMBROSI:
I still think she will sail again.

Just curious, what makes you think that?

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-28-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
Hopefully Imperial Majesty can buy her. She is a perfect mate for the Ocean Breeze on the short Miami-Bahamas trips.

Or even (not that I'd like to see this happen) replacement. She should be considerably more economical on fuel than OCEANBREEZE...

Despite that, she'll have to go in 2010 anyway, which does not make her a good purchace prospect.

I've always liked REGAL EMPRESS - she's been a remarkable survivor, through a lot, including hideous funnels, ill-conceived refits, and who knows what else. Regal, unlike Commodore, seemed to genuniely appreciate her, even if they were an affiliate of ISP and an admittedly bottom-of-the-barrel sort of operation.

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-28-2003 06:20 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keitaro:
Maybe NCL could buy her and totally rebuild her at US ship yard for US-operation. Will it work BTW?

Not without an Act of Congress it wouldn't. Besides, I think NCL has their hands full of old ships right now, they hardly need another one .

gpcruisedude
First Class Passenger
Member # 3533

posted 04-28-2003 09:24 PM      Profile for gpcruisedude   Email gpcruisedude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So sad to hear about Regal! I too thought they we're doing quite well! However, don't sell The Regal Empress short yet, as she has ONE major advantage over alot of other old ships right now! She has Diesels, which are a BIG PLUS!! That is what may be her saviour from the Scrapyards!!

As any line could snap her up and run approx the same itineraries as Regal and do well for sure, especially if they Do not have a mortgage on her!!

She has a very loyal following and could do well for another 7 years!!

Who knows,she could be a perfect candidate for Imperial Majesty for sure!

She is definentley a ship alot of companies will be looking at because of her diesels!!

Posts: 865 | From: Grande Prairie,Alberta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 04-28-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For CruiseNY, well I think the same way as most on this topic. If Imperial Majesty Cruises gets her, they will do very well. Whether they use her for the Miami-Bahamas run or the popular Pt. Canaveral-Bahamas run. It makes perfect sense to me.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 04-28-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but it is unlikely that she will sail in the near future, or even again.

Her diesels are slow, she can barely make 16 knots, requires a lot of upkeep and has a very limited range due to her fuel capacity and fresh water capacity.

The only possibility is Imperial Majesty but there is better tonnage on the market and I-M seems quite content with their one ship operation at this time.

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 04-28-2003 11:25 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoBe Tim:
The only possibility is Imperial Majesty but there is better tonnage on the market and I-M seems quite content with their one ship operation at this time.

Agreed.

Incidentally, do you think there is better tonnage that IM could actually afford?

It is worth noting that REGAL EMPRESS would not solve one of the very big problems with OCEANBREEZE, that is, the 2010 deadline. If IM wants to stay in business they had ought to acquire a Method I ship (or one built after 1980), which REGAL EMPRESS is not.

eandjracquet
First Class Passenger
Member # 3558

posted 04-30-2003 06:44 PM      Profile for eandjracquet   Email eandjracquet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am so upset about this. I sailed her in August 1999 on a three day Labor Day cruise from NY. She was one of my favorite ships-I loved the pool bar with the built in wood bench seats. I adored the Mermaid Bar and the Carribean Dining Room.
Posts: 57 | From: Peekskill, NY, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Noordam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3811

posted 04-30-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Noordam   Email Noordam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Imperial Majesty??? I scratch my head about that line... Although I am a big fan of the old Southern Cross, I wonder how much longer they will be around as well. Sure they are selling out - but their costs are quite high and the long term viability of the business doesn't seem that good.

I suggest you take a cruise on the old Azure Seas very soon, because her days might be numbered...

BTW - put your love and prayers towards the Rembrandt - not the Regal Empress - becuase the rusting Rotterdam V is the real deal!

Posts: 441 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Wave
First Class Passenger
Member # 3813

posted 05-01-2003 01:51 PM      Profile for Dave the Wave   Email Dave the Wave   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I sailed on this ship in Decmeber and had a great time. I enjoyed exploring the ship and all the original woodwork. It is the only ship (of many) I have been on where I sat down and played the piano in the Commodore Lounge. A great rendition of the Piano Man, I might add. The Mermaid lounge was great though the pool was lacking. I was sad to hear of it's demise as I was planning to go on her again. I have sailed RCI 6 times and am going on the Sovereign of the Seas this month for 4 nights. The Regal Empress is just over the bridge from here and good for a spur of the moment get away.

I would hope someone steps up and decides to keep her sailing. Why can she only sail to 2010?? Is there too much wood? It was a step back in time to go on this ship. It felt like being on a ship. Watching the tugs spin her around and get her off. I don't much desire to go on some of the newest ships. I don't cruise to shop in a mall, climb rocks or ice skate. I cruise to party, feel the sea air, drink and lounge around the pool while meeting interesting new people.

To the Regal Empress, may she sail again.

Posts: 211 | From: St.Pete, Florida | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-01-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave the Wave:
I don't cruise to shop in a mall, climb rocks or ice skate. I cruise to party, feel the sea air, drink and lounge around the pool while meeting interesting new people.

To the Regal Empress, may she sail again.

AMEN!!

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
eandjracquet
First Class Passenger
Member # 3558

posted 05-01-2003 08:51 PM      Profile for eandjracquet   Email eandjracquet   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She was a ship for those of us who wanted to sail a ship! I hope she is not scrapped!
Posts: 57 | From: Peekskill, NY, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.